How do you tell a Ping Eye 2 from a Plus no Plus?

wedge1

I did a little digging comparing pics... The regular Eye 2 has a noticeable smaller line on the back toe side. The pics of the clubs I won on ebay are clearly what I see in the Eye 2 Plus...just can;t make out the "+". The pics are not too good so it could have just been missed...or it is a Plus No Plus.

Before tonight, I did not even know there was a Plus No Plus. Go figure.

The Eye2+ and the + no + are exactly the same when you look at them. The sole grinds are identical, everything is the same except obviously the + no + doesn't have the + in the cavity.

The Eye2 has a more squarer look to it, and the sole is different than the Eye2+.

If you go to Ping's website and click on Classic irons and click on Eye2+'s, it will explain the differences.

Many people swear that the + no + is the holy grail of Ping's clubs, that they feel way better than the Eye2+, and that even though they're similar, they are very different. JMHO, but that simply isn't true. For all intent's and purposes, the Eye2+ and the + no + are essentially the same clubhead.

• Like 1

First of all the eye2 sq grooves are being listed on ebay by some sellers as "eye 2 + no +'s which is not correct .The eye 2+ no + have a different pat number than the new eye 2+'s. Both models the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

Both models the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

That's incorrect. I have a mint set of PING Eye2 +No+ irons (1-LW) that I ordered with the KT shafts back in March of 1990. PING verified the serial number for them is indeed for the +No+ model. The +No+'s were only produced for, I believe, a 3-4 months period before PING and the USGA settled the square groove controversy. The +No+ is essential the Eye2+ model (scalloped sole) with the older Eye2 square grooves. PING added the "+" to the cavity as a means to identify the newer Eye2+ models as having the revised square grooves (per the USGA agreement).

• Like 1

Good information. What Iw as really looking for was just telling the clubs apart from a picture that is not clear enough to show the writing in the back of the cavity. From what I have researched, I can see the Regular Eye 2 has a definite difference in the shape when viewed from behind. The Eye 2 Plus and the Plus no Plus look the same. The shape of the ones I bought is the same as the plus which matches up with what the seller is saying.

I'll just have to wait and see when they arrive whether they are plus or plus no plus. They have the KT-M shaft. I have been able to find out zero about the characteristics of those shafts. It probably won't matter though...if they heads check out...I'll probably send them back to Ping to re-shaft with DGS300 or ZZ65 and get them re-tumbled.

Both models the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

That's incorrect. I have a mint set of PING Eye2 +No+ irons (1-LW) that I ordered with the KT shafts back in March of 1990. PING verified the serial number for them is indeed for the +No+ model. The +No+'s were only produced for, I believe, a 3-4 months period before PING and the USGA settled the square groove controversy. The +No+ is essential the Eye2+ model (scalloped sole) with the older Eye2 square grooves. PING added the "+" to the cavity as a means to identify the newer Eye2+ models as having the revised square grooves (per the USGA agreement).

I beleive the Kt shaft was made for the zings,then changed to the kt-m which had a stronger tip because the weight of the toe on the zings were causing the shafts to break on the kt shafts.I would call Ping to verify this.The + no + model was built for 6 months as a new model,but Karsten changed the grooves to meet the USGA regulations.He then added a + to the cavity.But to get back to the original question the eye 2's and the eye2+ heads are completely different. Different lofts,grooves soles and size.Go to Pings web site and see the difference.

• 9 years later...

The best and most accurate way to tell the difference between any of the Ping irons is by the US Pat numbers.

Pings Eye 2 ‘s manufactured from 1984-1989

US Pat Pending

D276644 &. 4.512.577

Ping Eye 2’s +no+ manufactured 11/1989 - 4/1990

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.612.813

Ping Eye 2’s manufactured 5/1990-Present

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.621.813

WIth the + symbol added

CAUTION: Any club with a raised dimple or drill hole indention on the back of the iron below the Pat. Pending Numbers is an indication that the iron is a replacement club. And would have the conforming grooves on it.

Thanks.

As said above - scalloped sole, head shape of the + but no marking of the + in the cavity. I you inquire from Ping they will be listed as a + model but can tell by the build date. Mine are March 1990 build + no +. I think I read somewhere that the location of the "W" on the wedge is different on the older Eye 2 and the + molds.

The best and most accurate way to tell the difference between any of the Ping irons is by the US Pat numbers.

Pings Eye 2 's manufactured from 1984-1989

US Pat Pending

D276644 &. 4.512.577

Ping Eye 2's +no+ manufactured 11/1989 - 4/1990

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.612.813

Ping Eye 2's manufactured 5/1990-Present

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.621.813

WIth the + symbol added

CAUTION: Any club with a raised dimple or drill hole indention on the back of the iron below the Pat. Pending Numbers is an indication that the iron is a replacement club. And would have the conforming grooves on it.

Thanks.

Member for two years and your first post is a reply to a 10 year old thread.

Well, since it's been bumped, here's another way to tell the difference in the Eye2 irons just by looking at the cavity:

Ping Eye2 - the oval cavity around the eye has a straight line section that is parallel with the top line of the club

KLm5hg7.jpg

Ping Eye2+ the oval cavity around the eye is a constant oval and never goes parallel to the top line:

bZTKp59.jpg

Eye2 +no+ Same as the Eye2+ above, but without the plus sign in the cavity - constant oval with no section that is parallel with the topline:

1olnnXl.jpg

• Like 4

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

• 3 months later...

Dug this up from an old copy of Ping's website....

-VS

MAIN SET
Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold X100 Flex
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 | Golf Pride Tour Tradition Grip
Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

• 6 months later...

Huge THANK YOU. This was the clearest and most definitive way to tell the Plus No Plus from the regular Eye2. Even better: I have finally confirmed my LW is the Plus no Plus

Nice use of the 10-year bump!

Pings Eye 2 's manufactured from 1984-1989

US Pat Pending

D276644 &. 4.512.577

Ping Eye 2's +no+ manufactured 11/1989 - 4/1990

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.612.813

Ping Eye 2's manufactured 5/1990-Present

US Pat Pending

4.512.577 & 4.621.813

WIth the + symbol added

Thanks.

Member for two years and your first post is a reply to a 10 year old thread.

Well, since it's been bumped, here's another way to tell the difference in the Eye2 irons just by looking at the cavity:

Ping Eye2 - the oval cavity around the eye has a straight line section that is parallel with the top line of the club

KLm5hg7.jpg

Ping Eye2+ the oval cavity around the eye is a constant oval and never goes parallel to the top line:

bZTKp59.jpg

Eye2 +no+ Same as the Eye2+ above, but without the plus sign in the cavity - constant oval with no section that is parallel with the topline:

1olnnXl.jpg

• Like 1

Huge THANK YOU. This was the clearest and most definitive way to tell the Plus No Plus from the regular Eye2. Even better: I have finally confirmed my LW is the Plus no Plus

Nice use of the 10-year bump!

Glad you found it useful. I thought the Eye2+ wedges were the most forgiving wedges to hit. When I read the grooves of the Eye2 produced more spin and were the same grooves on the Eye2 +no+, I decided to look for one. I soon figured out the eye badge differences and that a lot of sellers didn't know what they were selling. Instead of searching +no+, I just searched Eye 2 wedges and looked at the pics. I got one that looked like it had hardly ever been hit for around $30. I was pretty excited about it...until I used it. I didn't find the spin any better than my normal Eye2+ wedges. Oh well, if nothing else, I got a cheap backup in great condition. :)

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

Found a set of Eye2+ 2-PW and a LW at a garage sale this summer. Including the bag it cost me $0 cause it was end of day and he just wanted them gone.

• Like 1

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Found a set of Eye2+ 2-PW and a LW at a garage sale this summer. Including the bag it cost me $0 cause it was end of day and he just wanted them gone.

I'm so glad they are left-handed, otherwise I would be so freaking jealous! Find of the century for a PING junkie!!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought a BeCu sand wedge on Ebay. Based on the info above, it is an Eye2 not a +. Problem with it is that I called Ping and read them the serial number and they could not identify it. Plus, unlike my set of Eye2+ irons, the serial number does not run from the head of the club down the shaft toward the grip. It runs around the shaft. Any thoughts on whether this is a legit club? If I can't get any assurances online, I'll have to send it to Ping for them to inspect it. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

bumping this oldie again. Just emailed Ping to find out the swing weight on the above free set of Eye 2's I got last year, Eye 2 + no + built in January 1990. I know the difference in where the S,W,L is on the sole vs the regular and +, but never even thought about it. So, I got a gifted 3-LW +no+ set. Never letting go of these

• 11 months later...

Well hello PE2, my LH+ 3 iron head is in need of a shaft. ( never walk ahead of a buddy no matter how much you trust his ability lol)  It’s been interesting to find all this info as I was studying the head markings. Used this set since being fit to me in 1999. Love them still today and will be on the outlook for additional backup clubs since retiring to Tucson. Keep swinging!