edmonton, AB

chukman

[quote name='Radagast' timestamp='1309293569' post='3343044']
Thanks for the updates.

Anyone played Ironhead recently? I've never been, layout on the website looks pretty good. How are conditions?
[/quote]

I've had a few friends from work go to Ironhead and they said it was really good and had a blast playing. Same goes with Ravencrest up on the northside, really nice fairways and fast greens. No moskeeters either :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Radagast' timestamp='1309293569' post='3343044']
Thanks for the updates.

Anyone played Ironhead recently? I've never been, layout on the website looks pretty good. How are conditions?
[/quote]

It entirely depends on who is running the place at the moment. Ironhead can be amazing or absolutely horrible. There's a guy that used to play at Belvedere who alternates between running Ironhead and Indian Lakes as I understand it. Whichever he is at is good at the time. Both are excellent layouts.

• 1 month later...

Just west of Edmonton here since spring '10.
Member at Stony Plain. Great condition and really good greens, good walking course.

Played some other courses last year/this year:

Ironhead - was terrible condition last year, but for sure one of the best layouts around. Properly maintained this would be a hidden jem.

Red Tail - top notch

Ranch - some nice holes, a little wonky layout in places, but the staff has an attitude problem so I won't go back until some are cleaned out.

Lewis, - maybe was a nice place some years ago but housing development has taken away much from the golf experience here imo.

Links at Spruce Grove - I live on this course actually, and have played it sometimes. Good walking course. Nice layout, greens are maintained much better this year than last.

Cougar Creek - meh - some nice holes, conditions are medium resort golf.

I had the pleasure to play Heritage Pointe in Calgary recently - Desert and Heritage 9's. Really enjoyed that, it is well kept. Greens are short and firm, nice putting.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 6 months later...

Called Millhoods 2 days ago, the dude said they would try and open next week if the weather held. Flurries next week does not sound promising.

Titleist TS2 - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 

[quote name='golf_bhoy' timestamp='1331936669' post='4521753']
Called Millhoods 2 days ago, the dude said they would try and open next week if the weather held. Flurries next week does not sound promising.
[/quote]

awesome! sounds goooda

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 52* / 58* //
// ODYSSEY 7s //

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1333161583' post='4617111']
victoria open today as well
[/quote]

Any idea when any courses are going to open?

Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Scotty Cameron Newport 

Millwoods was trying for the 8th, Master's Sunday. Not sure anything will open any earlier.
I know our range won't even be open until later this week.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[b][size="4"][color="#008000"]Hawk Talk Newsletter - [/color][/size][/b][size="4"]Redtail Landing Driving Range Opens, Sunday, April 8[/size][size="4"]th Range open 9am to 8pm daily. Golf Course Opens, Friday, April 13th[/size][size="4"]. Tee sheet open for bookings on Friday, April 5th[/size][size="4"][b].

At last ......

:hi:

D.
[/b][/size][center] [/center]

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Any more updates? Haven't heard anyting much. I know Whitetail is opening on Thursday, if you want to drive all the way to Mundare.

Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Scotty Cameron Newport 

• 3 weeks later...

anybody have any early conditions report? what's a good track this year?

i've played:

eagle rock - it was cheap and course is alright, airated greens are bumpy and not the best

whitetail- excellent greens, can't believe how smooth they are for april/may, still some standing water but not too bad

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// ODYSSEY 7s //

[quote name='Radagast' timestamp='1336359301' post='4862900']
Might be a bit late on this. Can anyone recommend a good mens league? I wouldn't mind getting out some more this year.

Heard Red Tail is alright for this. Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

[size="3"]
I've been at RedTail for a few years, excellent track, good bunch of guy's and the staff in the pro-shop are great. Men's night is Wednesday, their first evening was May 02nd, there was 67 guys and $1005.00 in the prize pool was handed out. I believe they still can accommodate new members if your interested. They have a number of fun events, such as Vegas Night, the Steak & Beans as well the Club Championship ... the following cut/paste may be helpful.

Cheers

:hi:

D.
[/size]

Hello Gentlemen,

Another season is under way and as we say here at RedTail Landing, the year really doesn't start until the first Men's League begins, so thank you gentlemen for kicking off our 2012 season. The turnout for the first Men's Night of the year was phenomenal; the tee sheet was completely full, the course was in mid season form already and the Hawk's Nest Restaurant provided some great food and drink specials. Thank you to all of our Men's League members who were able to make it out on Wednesday, we hope all of you enjoyed yourselves.

A Special thanks also goes out to Anita from International Cellars and Mike from Bacardi for being our sponsors on opening night. If anyone is interested in sponsoring a Men's night or have any comments and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact Megan Vermillion ([email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]) and Derek Schaefer ([email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]) who will be hosting the Men's League every Wednesday night. We welcome your feedback as this is your league and it is our goal to make it as successful as possible.

We began the year with the Low Gross and Low Net game. Every week, the results will be attached to an email. Also attached is the Men's League Overview for the 2012 season. Congratulations to all of our winners. Prizes are held in the golf shop if you were unable to pick them up on Wednesday.

Lastly, just a few reminders for you gentlemen:

[b]FIRST VEGAS NIGHT 9 HOLE SHOTGUN[/b] will take place on Wednesday June 6[sup]th[/sup] at 5:30pm, you definitely want to be a part of this night!!! We will have the sign-up sheet available beginning next week, so make sure you sign-up your 4 man team ASAP. Contact us for more details.

[b]The INAUGURAL MATCH PLAY EVENT [/b]signup sheet is available in the golf shop. [b] [/b]This will be a season long Handicapped Match Play Bracket, with a single knockout system. The fee to get into this Match Play will be [b]$20 per player[/b] with prizes awarded at the end of the season based on where you finish. The maximum field will consist of the first 64 players to sign up. As this is a trial run for this season, if we do not get 64 players interested by the [b]May 16[sup]th[/sup] Deadline[/b], the first 32 men to sign up will be part of the Match Play. As soon as we get all of our players registered, a random draw will be made for Matchups. Each round will have a deadline to complete your match by with the winner obviously moving onto the next round, and so on and so forth until there is a Champion. Details and rules will be finalized as soon as we get our 32 or 64 man field. Currently, we have 27 men signed up, so if you want to be a part of this event, please contact the golf shop ASAP.

[b]CALLAWAY TOUR FIT VAN DAY [/b]is back again for another season. If you are in need of new clubs for this season, get inside the ropes to see all of Callaway's newest gear by scheduling a time at our [b]Callaway Tour Fit Van Day on Wednesday May 30[sup]th[/sup] from 11:00am to 8:00pm[/b]. Callaway's techs use cutting edge technologies to assess your swing, recommend products to optimize your game, and custom-build your clubs on-site. You'll leave feeling like a Tour Pro. Contact the Golf Shop for further details.

[sup] [/sup]

Just a reminder to everyone to continue to enter your scores into the RCGA Network as we will be using your Handicaps from this network towards our 9 Hole Low Gross/ Low Net Game, as well as the Match Play. If you do not have a registered handicap, you will not be eligible to play in the game. Just trying to keep it fair for everyone. Thanks for the cooperation. Remember, you can enter scores from any prior round you've played, it does not have to be from RedTail Landing alone, there is an option to select basically any golf course. If there are any issues at all with entering in scores, please let me know.

We'll see you all on Wednesday!!

Thanks Gentlemen and have a great week,

[b][i]Matthew Truong[/i][/b]

[i]CPGA Associate Golf Professional[/i]

[i]RedTail Landing G.C.[/i]

[i]www.RedTailLanding.com[/i]

[i]W: 780.890.7888[/i]

[i]C: 780.504.0348[/i]

[i]fax: 780.890.7887[/i]

[center][center][b][color="red"][size="2"]2012 Men's League Overview[/size][/color][/b][/center][/center]
[center][center][b] [/b][/center][/center]
[b][size="2"]WHERE:[/size][/b][size="2"] RedTail Landing Golf Club[/size]

[b][size="2"]WHEN[/size][/b][size="2"]: Every Wednesday with preferred tee times from 2:00pm to 6:00pm [/size]

[b][size="2"]FORMAT[/size][/b][size="2"]: 18 holes of golf with a 9 Hole Low Gross, Low Net game every week. Proximity Hole Prizes included. [/size]

[b][size="2"]REGISTRATION[/size][/b][size="2"]: $75 +GST which includes RCGA Handicap Card, Online Handicap Access ([/size][url="http://www.rcganetwork.org/"][size="2"]www.rcganetwork.org[/size][/url][size="2"]) and preferred tee times every Wednesday. Login name is first and last name with no spaces all in CAPS. i.e. MATTTRUONG. Password is REDTAIL. You can change your login information after first login. [/size]

[b][size="2"]GREEN FEES[/size][/b][size="2"]: $70 +GST includes 18 holes of golf, shared power cart, use of learning facility before and after your round, chance for prizes, and FUN. Guest green fee is $80 +GST. [/size]

[b][size="2"]GAME FEE[/size][/b][size="2"]: The mandatory game fee will be $15 every Wednesday which goes directly towards door prizes and the game prizes each week. [b]The game fee must be paid by CASH only. [/b]An [b]optional $5 for a 50/50 cash draw[/b] will be included as well. All Men's League members must have an established handicap and enter all scores from every Wednesday. [/size]

[b][size="2"]BOOKING TEE TIMES[/size][/b][size="2"]: 7 days in advance. You can book tee times by either calling the golf shop (780-890-7888) or booking on Wednesday when you play each week. Single players will be positioned in the tee sheet by the discretion of the golf shop and not by the single player themselves. The tee sheet will be blocked off until Saturday 12:00pm in which at this time if tee times have not been booked the staff at RedTail Landing Golf Club will book general public play in these slots to fill and maximize revenues for the benefit of the club. [/size]

[b][size="2"]CANCELLATIONS[/size][/b][size="2"]: Cancellations must be made 24 hours prior your tee time. We understand that weather, schedules, and other related items can force a cancellation but we must try to cancel 24 hours in advance so we can react to try to fill these tee times.[/size]

[b][size="2"]GOLF SHOP DISCOUNT[/size][/b][size="2"]: As a men's league member, you will receive a 10% discount on all soft good purchases which includes clothing, gloves, and headwear. The discount will take effect on regular price items only and not on sale items.[/size]

[b][size="2"]VEGAS NIGHTS[/size][/b][size="2"]: On the first Wednesday of each Month beginning in June, a 9 Hole shotgun Team event will be held. Great prizes are given out on these nights including trips to Vegas and other destinations. You do not want to miss these nights! Brad Gamble from Sleeman Brewery is our primary sponsor for these nights, along with the entire Men's League season. [/size]

[b][size="2"]FOOD AND BEVERAGE[/size][/b][size="2"]: The Hawk's Nest Restaurant will have men's league specials on food and beverages every Wednesday for your enjoyment. [/size]

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='carsonson' timestamp='1350968631' post='5831595']
Hi, I am a golfer that goes to U of A. I dont know anyplace where i can practice in winter time.
any one have any idea ?? heard about golf dome , are they still in business??
[/quote]
nope golf dome closed a while backur only options in the winter would be some sort of golf simulator, evolution golf on saddleback road in the south side is getting quite popular, the only other one i know is in sherwood park which is out east

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// ODYSSEY 7s //

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lewis4ace' timestamp='1351105694' post='5840161']
[quote name='carsonson' timestamp='1350968631' post='5831595']
Hi, I am a golfer that goes to U of A. I dont know anyplace where i can practice in winter time.
any one have any idea ?? heard about golf dome , are they still in business??
[/quote]
nope golf dome closed a while backur only options in the winter would be some sort of golf simulator, evolution golf on saddleback road in the south side is getting quite popular, the only other one i know is in sherwood park which is out east
[/quote]Golf den in sherwood park is really good.

Looking to come to Edm in Feb to get fitted for new clubs at Golf Town, which one should I go too, who should I go see?

Ping G410 LST - Tensi CK Series 60 X-Stiff
Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
Srixon ZX 2i - UST Recoil 95 X Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X Catalyst 100CW 6.5 100g
Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58, KBS HI-REV Flex
Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Tour Line
1.2 HC

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Fetch07' timestamp='1354676742' post='6020059']
Looking to come to Edm in Feb to get fitted for new clubs at Golf Town, which one should I go too, who should I go see?
[/quote]

I'm not sure but the one in Sherwood Park is not open yet.
I'd guess it depends on which way you are coming and just go to the closest one and see how it goes. I was at the south location one about 2 weeks ago during a weekday and it wasn't too busy.

[/quote]

George on the South Side knows his stuff.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1362457103' post='6549441']
[/quote]

George on the South Side knows his stuff.
[/quote]

I second this. George fits me for all my stuff.