2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do I really need all that offset????

rodto3rd

I currently have some Cally x-16's, and after my tax return I plan on getting a new set of irons. After reading many articles in Golf Digest and others, I have read articles claiming that all golfers should be playing game improvement irons. My question do I really need all that offset?? I am currently a 15 handicapper, and would like to lower that this year. So what should I do, I have no trouble of getting the ball airborne? Now I'm not suggesting that I go out and pick up some 695's or MP-32's, but I was wondering what's peoples take on this???

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say no, lots of offset for me promotes a huge draw/hook when I'm off and generally those clubs promote very high ball flights which in Texas can be bad. I have the Fusions, they do not have a large amount of offset and although the ball flight is high its also penetrating. I'd reccomend perhaps, Fusions, Slingshot tours, CG4's.

I currently have some Cally x-16's, and after my tax return I plan on getting a new set of irons. After reading many articles in Golf Digest and others, I have read articles claiming that all golfers should be playing game improvement irons. My question do I really need all that offset?? I am currently a 15 handicapper, and would like to lower that this year. So what should I do, I have no trouble of getting the ball airborne? Now I'm not suggesting that I go out and pick up some 695's or MP-32's, but I was wondering what's peoples take on this???

keep some kinda of cavity for forgiveness... nothing wrong there. offset is for 1) personal preference, and 2)if you often slice the ball (left to right ball flight for righties), helps the club turn over more.. i think... experiment, mix match sets, get what feels good to you. most pros use blades because 1) they are "classics" and 2) thats what they grew up with. hope that helps

Well I'm an 18 and I enjoy my OS2's very much. Being that we are a three putt away from each other I'd say, yes forgiveness is great and most everybody needs it. All I can say, is demo outside on the range and hit as many irons as you can. Try blades, cavity backs, muscle backs, game improvement. No one here can tell you what you need. Let me suggest getting X-18 Pros (5-PW) and X-18 (3 & 4) or LT2 (5-PW) and OS2 (3 & 4). Hope this helps!!!

You're exactly where I was when I went for my set of irons. I played Zings & then G2. Went to demo day & tried both the i5 & g5. IT WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE. The i5 is a much better iron & will make you a better ballstriker. I'm an 11 down from 14. I changed my driver (hit more fairways now) and my irons (hit more greens). I still can't chip or putt, that's why I'm an 11. The i5's are the best iron I have ever hit. Demo a set & you will will be reaching for your wallet. Good Luck

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

What OEM's don't tell you is the purpose of offset. All offset does is help you get your hands a bit ahead to help get the ball airborne easier period. I have had this told to me by several OEM reps.

What causes most people to hook something like a Callaway iron is the fact that most OEMs manufacture their irons like they do their woods with a 1/2 to 1 degree closed face to help solve hooking problems.

If you have no trouble getting the ball airborne then you don't need much offset at all.

slicer365 is right: you need to try every iron under the sun. Go see a fitter and tell them what you're looking for out of your irons. And when you hit them completely ignore the brand--in fact I wouldn't even look at the back of the club when you go. Just work through them via a process of elimination and you might be surprised at what's best for you.

300 posts!!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

As others have said, the reason that Golf Digest recommends a game improvement club for everybody is that you'll have better results with a larger sweet spot and more MOI. You get both those things with a cavity back, perimeter weighted iron as opposed to a blade. The offset helps promote your hands leading the clubhead at impact, but this can just as easily be a problem for you as an aid.

I used to play X-14s but wanted something with a little more feel and that didn't have quite such a thick profile as I got better. I was leaning toward the Taylor Made RAC LT which seemed to fit the bill, but happened to try the Mizuno MP-32 right as they came out. The MP-32s are harder to hit well than the LT but not nearly as hard as a traditional blade (Cleveland TA-1, Mizuno MP-37) where mishits are disasterous. The MP-32 has more offset than a traditional blade but less than most cavity backs. The MP-60s would have been a better match to my skill than the MP-32s but they weren't out yet.

The results have generally been OK, but my hitting isn't really precise and repeatable enough for me to feel comfortable. On the range, I was knocking off great hits, but 5-iron in any non-perfect lie has me nervous, and I don't even carry the 3-iron as there's no case where a hybrid isn't better for me. :-(

I decided to see if I could find a cavity back that I could tolerate the looks of and wouldn't have too much offset. I had a Cleveland TA-7 Tour single club that seemed to be a really good match with lower offset, but that model was discontinued last year. Callaway X-18 Pro seemed like a possibliity, but the top line is pretty chunky. MP-60s are too expensive since I was hoping to return to the MP-32 in the future. MX-23s would probably have been a good choice, but a little too much offset, and pretty expensive.

I looked at everything in the stores and finally decided on a set of Cleveland CG4s, usually pretty cheap on eBay. The heads are big overall, but the topline isn't too bad and the soles aren't gigantic. The offset is relatively mild (compared to something like Callaways). The CMM material is great (I have a CG10 gap wedge and the CG4s feel very similar). Had I realized that CG4 Tour were so close, I would have waited to give them a try, but I think it will be OK.

I've been carrying around a mix of my CG4 and MP-32 lately, trying to get used to them (they don't mix well, but I'm a bit reluctant to shift out my MP-32 short irons). I did make one big mistake with the CG4s - at least for me, the stock ActionLite shafts sort of suck. My MP-32s have Dynamic Gold reg flex shafts (S300 was not as controllable for my swing). I have tried MP-32 with DG Lite and that was very nice - a very comfortable sense of head weight for me. Of course, the CG4s are totally different beasts, but with the ActionLites the ball flight is way too high. There weren't many options to try these out with and I only hit them into a net (yes, stupid) but I'm seeing all the classic signs of too flexy a shaft. I'll give it a little more time (and stop carrying both sets), but I'm a little concerned as "fixing" this problem doesn't mesh well with the idea of this being a relatively inexpensive set of clubs...

That said, I'd definitely check out the MX-23, LT2, and CG4/CG4 Tour, maybe even CG2 (which is also pretty cheap if you catch the right auction on eBay).

if your handicap is 15 i would not go to the 695's or the 32's im a 3 and i know i can hit those ( my friends have 32's and 690's)but on days when im off a bit it makes playing a real difficult task (i get by).. unless you are a great ball striker @ 15 handicap which are usually two phrases that dont belong in the same sentence why not try the 735's or a nice set of mp 60's or if you want i woudl recommend the i5's a great set of clubs. if i hadent bought my s59's last year at the start i would have gone to the i5's since theyare a very nice upgrade from my classis eye 2..

ne try it all out and do what you want its your money

I know I am new, but I would wait for the 775.CB. For a game improvement club these look great and while they do have some offset it is not overly huge. There is another thread that shoes the Titleist booklet with the offset specs and the view compared to the other irons. Wait till march, check these out, and I don't think you will be disappointed.

My2Cents

Tim