2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hogan's Disorder

Vertical Hinge Action is wonderful for higher trajectory and short distance shots.

Horizontal Hinge Action is wonderful for maximum distance shots.

The Hinge Actions are not dependent on pivot controlled system or hands controlled system.

It is the players decision to choose what components and variations they want to employ.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='magnum184' timestamp='1229197799' post='1372324']
[quote name='Dariusz J.' post='1372259' date='Dec 13 2008, 01:10 PM'][quote name='magnum184' post='1372225' date='Dec 13 2008, 02:44 PM'][b]I should have described the 90 degree angle better. That angle is at the elbow. To max it out, you have to keep going past the stress. You have to dig deep and feel it all the way until it hits the rotator cuff. It, the elbow, tries to move to the left, which would be forward from a DTL view of a swing.

I've been experimenting with certain grip pressures within certain fingers on certain parts of the club that seem to have a significant effect on whether the cup desolves or maintains through transition. Been there yet?[/b]

What is interesting about having the trailing elbow so much lower than the leading elbow is the way it coordinates the right shoulder/lats/rotator cuff/etc... It all kind of...................SHRINKS. I sometimes think this is why some choose to describe the action as a left sided dominated swing. The right side being like that, at that moment, feels VERY WEAK. But, it is waiting to be released and it will be released VERY LATE when it is ultimately stretched out again. That's why I have stated before that I feel the right side VERY LATE in the swing. Anyway, it's a great leveraged move.[/quote]

Magnum, care to elaborate more ? Maybe some exemplary pics ? You have my (and I think everyone's) full attention, mate.

Cheers

[/quote]

I'm just saying the rolling of the face as fast and far as possible ultimately brings the left hand, wrist, and entire arm into the picture. That, in return, will heavily influence the right hand, wrist, and entire arm as it folds. In order to max it all out, you have to MAX IT OUT. I keep on TRYING to max it out through transition. Actually, I am TRYING to max it out as long as I can, until the PIVOT catches the darned thing and I'm on plane (on your elbow plane and on or near my OSP) and ready to just rip through the darned ball. Maxing it out causes my entire right arm to try and twist all the way to my rotator cuff. Now, we know you can't twist the darned elbow, but feel is there in the rotator cuff. And the elbow moves a shade forward through transition. Like the elbow is trying to help it twist by moving forward. Just that rolling of the face as far and as fast as I can gives me that low swing, short arm, full wrist set, on plane and not very far off the OSP, close looking tucked elbow, slightly tucked in looking right side, ability to house future lag. All that, one thought.

Now, I should know what is coming next. How do you not lay the club off doing this extraordinary bizarre move? To me, that is where the cup kind of saves it. THE CUPPED WRIST SET sets the club early enough to limit the amount of time the club has to get TOO LAYED OFF. And it's coupled with a low swing. Even better.

As far as the grip pressure and the reactions to the face. I wish I wouldn't have mentioned it. I don't feel too comfortable declaring it because how on earth can I be for sure except what I see in my ball flight. And now that the pressure is on me........

If I focus on firming up the last three fingers on the left hand grip and and hardly using the right hand forefinger and thumb................the cup stays quite a bit longer. If I focus on more pressure with the forefinger and thumb of the right hand, the cup disappears through transition. Why? I couldn't tell you unfortunately. Maybe some other muscles are activated.........who the heck knows? But what is further interesting is the fact that one makes my ball curve RIGHT and the other LEFT. Without me manipulating the club with my hands anymore.
[/quote]

Now that's a reason for the cupped left wrist!

Re left wrist cup, I can't seem to find any advantage of it in my swing. When I cup it, my swing is weak. When I flatten/load it, my swing is way stronger. But cupping is clearly what Hogan said in the 55 Life Mag article. While reading for the 1st time this Hogan's Order topic (which was way back), I realized something, which is consistent with all what Hogan said, but I don't know if its correct.

The left wrist cup weakening the swing happens to my swing because I'm using my left arm primarily in the DS. I must flatten/load the left wrist, otherwise my left wrist/arm will be weak. Even if you flatten/bow it during the DS, it will be too late. When I read this topic, I realized that maybe in the DS you must use your right arm primarily, not the left as uve been doing. And this is consistent with what Hogain said in 5L, wherein he said the "3 right hands" and that "on a full swing you want to use your right as hard as you can". Also, he said in the swing, you use the inside muscles. So, in the BS, you use the left side, while in the DS you use the right side, right? So I think I should change my swing and find a way to use the right arm primarily in the DS, with the left arm/hand being just the driver in charge of direction/steering? But you must use the right hand with the last 3 fingers of the right hand (per Hogan thru Tschetter), and with the waggle-BS with the Magnum Twist at the top til transition?

And for that waggle-BS with the Magnum Twist, you keep your upper right arm to your upper chest and keep your right elbow not moving as much as possible. This creates torque or resistance in the right arm (not wrist/hand, which you must allow to bend or work along with the left hand/arm in the BS). This creation of torque/resistance in the right arm is what also is said by Abe Mitchell in DTS and LOL. Everything seems consistent and reconciled with this, from 5L, 55 Life, Golf Digest/Nick Seitz interview/article re rotating of left arm/hand/clubface, Mitchell in DTS/LOL, Schlee/Tom Bertrand right elbow loading and Tschetter book. Can someone with lots of experience confirm/critique please. Want to learn from you all as learning it by yourself will just take too much time.. :)

As an edit, I maintained my active left arm swing as before, and then I ADDED the active right arm. So now, both are active in the DS, but with more stress/focus on the right, unlike before I totally make it passive. As Hogan said, you must use the left as well as the right in the DS/impact zone. So to those asking whether you pull or push, the answer is BOTH.

Experts please comment. I'm not and will not be a player, so I won't be competition.. :) Nor will be a teacher.. :)