Scottland Golf Questions

I played Bay Hill a few years back - $215 stay AND play!!!!!!

What a deal!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yet he continues to amuse. Oh well.

I used to live in SF Bay Area and played every course you mentioned above. You say you played Toprrey for rates that would make me puke? Hmmm..I played Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy, Cypress, Olympic, Spanish Bay and Torrey all for free. There are others as well but who really cares what I paid. Those were opportunities for me and I was grateful for them. I have paid for some expensive coruse as well and while they do not become my daily play places, I enjoy once in a while.

Good for you to still enjoy the history of the game and my apologies if it seemed I was making such a leap. My intent was not meant that you do not care (yes, upon reading it, it does seem that is what I meant since it reads that way) but rather more about me playing a placve like that and thinking, my whole time around, about the history (maybe my round would have been better if I concentrated on my own game - lol). I enjoy remember what was done on that hole and from where and by whom. To ME, that was an incredible thing. I loved every second.

I know what you say about the prices and as said above, that certainly reduces the amount i play those coruses, I would still do it once (at least) just to have done it and enjoyed it.

Enjoy Torrey! What an amazing track! I am not a pro by any means and 6900 yards from the whites...wow! Tough but awesome.

I re-iterate.....Marry Christmas to all!!!

Glad I amuse you. Perhaps you can ship me the rosseta stone to translate the hidding meanings behind what your trying to say. I was not saying that the rate I pay was better than getting to play those for free (as I have also) I was simply saying it is difficult to justify the rates when they are TOTALLY taking advantage of the prestige of the course. However in todays world of we will charge what we can get I guess what do you expect.

To the poster upset about paying over 100 to play torrey and the local paying 30, trust me they make up for it by living here! I am sure your home prices are nothing like they are here!

I used to live in SF Bay Area and played every course you mentioned above. You say you played Toprrey for rates that would make me puke? Hmmm..I played Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy, Cypress, Olympic, Spanish Bay and Torrey all for free. There are others as well but who really cares what I paid. Those were opportunities for me and I was grateful for them. I have paid for some expensive coruse as well and while they do not become my daily play places, I enjoy once in a while.

Good for you to still enjoy the history of the game and my apologies if it seemed I was making such a leap. My intent was not meant that you do not care (yes, upon reading it, it does seem that is what I meant since it reads that way) but rather more about me playing a placve like that and thinking, my whole time around, about the history (maybe my round would have been better if I concentrated on my own game - lol). I enjoy remember what was done on that hole and from where and by whom. To ME, that was an incredible thing. I loved every second.

I know what you say about the prices and as said above, that certainly reduces the amount i play those coruses, I would still do it once (at least) just to have done it and enjoyed it.

Enjoy Torrey! What an amazing track! I am not a pro by any means and 6900 yards from the whites...wow! Tough but awesome.

Glad I amuse you. Perhaps you can ship me the rosseta stone to translate the hidding meanings behind what your trying to say. I was not saying that the rate I pay was better than getting to play those for free (as I have also) I was simply saying it is difficult to justify the rates when they are TOTALLY taking advantage of the prestige of the course. However in todays world of we will charge what we can get I guess what do you expect.

To the poster upset about paying over 100 to play torrey and the local paying 30, trust me they make up for it by living here! I am sure your home prices are nothing like they are here!

Can you name a course that doesn't take advantage of its prestige by charging more money? It's not like this is different from any other time/product. To quote the Wu-Tang Clan, "it's all about the C.R.E.A.M." Pay the money and enjoy yourself. For the rest of your life you can say you played at the home of golf!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Anyway...........

After sifting through some of the excellent posts on this thread I can, but only wish the OP a thoroughly good time in Scotland!

After all that is what we are meant to be discussing! The possibility of a game on The Old Course and some help with the rest!

And many congratulations on your upcoming/past marriage date! I know the locals in St Andrews will treat you like old friends!

A word to Eaglecabport.. I would dearly love to play a game with you old chap however, I am immigrating to Canada very shortly to be with my wife (I too have just done the marriage deed my friends!!) and once there I will take up a Senior Assistant Pro's position I have arranged in the GTA. But my good lad Lift a glass or 2 when you are here! Enjoy!!

Perhaps, my original post was somewhat biased as my mothers side of the family come from St Andrews and I grew up playing there, aaaaand maybe the fact that my Great Grandfather was Jimmy Alexander the famous Old Course Starter jaded my viewpoint slightly? Or Perhaps, it was the countless rounds I have played on all the courses there over the years. Or maybe it was just the magical feeling you get when your treading over turf the Good the bad and the ugly have played!? I don't know!?

But you know what.......

I'm proud to call St Andrews my spiritual golfing home. (my granny would never forgive me if i didn't)

And OP for the few short days you stay there..........I'm sure you will too!!!

As for Mr. Jared I only hope you can find YOUR Spiritual Golfing Home! For if St Andrews failed to impress.......the course you finally plump for must be truly special indeed!

Happy Gowfing!

Can you name a course that doesn't take advantage of its prestige by charging more money? It's not like this is different from any other time/product. To quote the Wu-Tang Clan, "it's all about the C.R.E.A.M." Pay the money and enjoy yourself. For the rest of your life you can say you played at the home of golf!

Sure. Take for example 17 mile drive (the loop that encompasses spyglass hill, poppy hills, pebble beach, spanish bay, etc.) You can play Poppy Hills for around 100 dollars. There are no ocean views however if you want those play sypglass 250. Pebble is 5 yes freaking 5 hundred dollars and you have to show up SUPER early just to get the CHANCE at playing. That is my point those courses are VERY solid yet do not have the prestige they make you pay for the name.

To quote Jay-Z people that pay those prices are "living treacherous on the etceteras"

Sure. Take for example 17 mile drive (the loop that encompasses spyglass hill, poppy hills, pebble beach, spanish bay, etc.) You can play Poppy Hills for around 100 dollars. There are no ocean views however if you want those play sypglass 250. Pebble is 5 yes freaking 5 hundred dollars and you have to show up SUPER early just to get the CHANCE at playing. That is my point those courses are VERY solid yet do not have the prestige they make you pay for the name.

To quote Jay-Z people that pay those prices are "living treacherous on the etceteras"

Well played! Now, looking through Golf Digest Poppy Hills isn't even in the top 30 for the state of CA--of course there are plenty of great courses in the state. But if I'm going to make a trip and play, I'm probably hitting Pebble and Spyglass based on standing. Would I be disappointed in playing Poppy? No because I've heard great things about it and is, as I'm guessing you're intimating, just as good. And, hell, I might even enjoy my round at Poppy more. A couple summers ago, my buddies and I drove up to Long Island and played Bethpage Black because everyone said it was a must play course. We drove 4 hours from DC and played later in the afternoon. Our round took about 6 hours. The next day we played the Red, which was just as great a course and, per the local we played with, preferred. He said people only played the Black when the other courses were full, but people out of state came to Bethpage to play the Black. What I'm saying is that I paid the money (not $500) for the Black and ended up enjoying the Red just as much. Same with what a lot of people say about Pinehurst #2. It's why you go...to say you've played these great, historic courses regardless of what the cost might be.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

In my opinion, St. Andrews is only worth it to say you played St. Andrews. In my opinion, there are a lot of better options that are more entertaining golf-wise than St. Andrews in the area, including many courses in the Open rotation. Also, the other courses will be a lot less of a hassle to get on, and you can always go back and enjoy the St. Andrews area. You can still walk the course publicly (on Sundays I believe), so why not do that. Check the place out and play some other great Major Championship courses. You don't have to play the course to enjoy a pint with the locals.

St. Andrews isn't going anywhere, so maybe it would be better to plan it out better in your future.

Calm down, guys.

So Jared does not rate St Andrews Old Course? So what? I think Augusta's an over-primped, totally artificial, plastic joke of a course but that won't stop other players enjoying it to the maximum. And nor should it.

If you enjoy St Andrews, then great. If you don't, then move on; it's no big deal either way.

Calm down, guys.

So Jared does not rate St Andrews Old Course? So what? I think Augusta's an over-primped, totally artificial, plastic joke of a course but that won't stop other players enjoying it to the maximum. And nor should it.

If you enjoy St Andrews, then great. If you don't, then move on; it's no big deal either way.

:clapping:

In my opinion, St. Andrews is only worth it to say you played St. Andrews. In my opinion, there are a lot of better options that are more entertaining golf-wise than St. Andrews in the area, including many courses in the Open rotation. Also, the other courses will be a lot less of a hassle to get on, and you can always go back and enjoy the St. Andrews area. You can still walk the course publicly (on Sundays I believe), so why not do that. Check the place out and play some other great Major Championship courses. You don't have to play the course to enjoy a pint with the locals.

St. Andrews isn't going anywhere, so maybe it would be better to plan it out better in your future.

Big A, St Andrews isn't going anywhere you say? I wouldn't be so sure....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3190864/St...ea-by-2050.html

I played St Andrews 2 years ago,,and YES it is worth every penny. I was there early in the morning and was the 3rd group of,The most incredible golf experience I have ever had..

I was told by locals to go play Craighead I think its called, go to the website or google the name. Kingsbarns was also good, I could keep going on there are so many. But St Andrews is a must.

Just an FYI... I know there are a lot of fans of Tiger Woods on this forum - and his opinions may or may not mean anything to the OP, but... Guess which course Tiger has stated to be his favorite course in the world?

In some ways, Tiger is quite a quirky guy. I can see why he would love the subtleties of playing St Andrews well. That is crucial; playing it well rather than just playing it.

When he won the 2000 Open Championship by a hugely convincing 8 strokes he not only dominated the field of the the world's greatest players but, more impressively, he dominated the course like no one else in modern history.

Just an FYI... I know there are a lot of fans of Tiger Woods on this forum - and his opinions may or may not mean anything to the OP, but... Guess which course Tiger has stated to be his favorite course in the world?

In some ways, Tiger is quite a quirky guy. I can see why he would love the subtleties of playing St Andrews well. That is crucial; playing it well rather than just playing it.

When he won the 2000 Open Championship by a hugely convincing 8 strokes he not only dominated the field of the the world's greatest players but, more impressively, he dominated the course like no one else in modern history.

Also, Tiger Woods is the most PC boring interview in the history of sports. He NEVER says what he really thinks and I would take any answer from any interview that he has ever given with a grain of salt. Just watch his news conference today when I guarantee they will ask 23423 questions about Steve Williams and he will shoot everyone of them down.

The ultimate Old Course experience is to show up at dawn and get in line for a walk on...the only way to do it...in my opinion

I've never been a big fan of getting up at dawn unless I had a really really good reason. Do you get the same enjoyment of getting up at dawn to milk a cow instead of going to the grocery at a reasonable hour to buy a gallon of milk?

I'd rather sleep in a little after experiencing a couple of St. Andrews' pubs. But to each his own, which seems to be the theme of this thread.

Off topic: But I sure hope Jared, that you never make pro. You sound like a truly poor excuse for a representative of the game.

You're kidding right? What kind of a comment is this? The guy just simply stated there are better courses out there for their value, he never made any negative comments about anyone as you have. I for one think you are the poor excuse for a representative of the game.

I've also played some of the top courses around the world including Pebble, Olympic, etc., HOWEVER, if I ever get the opportunity to play TOC, I'm there Dude. I have friends that played it and yes, they also said it wasn't even in the Top 10 of courses they played while in Scotland but....you must play it IF possible, if nothing other than just walking the hollowed grounds.

I share the name with one of the original golfers/club makers of St. Andrews, therefore for nothing other than that, I'd have to play. He actually employed Old Tom Morris in his shop, that's how far back golf history goes in my family.

Not surprising the various takes on TOC. To me, it's a simple proposition, if you are going to go all the way to Scotland from the States, then why not try to play it? Who knows when you will be back to Scotland? It's not an opportunity that comes up often and as a golfer, surely you want the experience no matter how it turns out. Every golfer has to try, right? Regardless of Jared's own take, before he played it, he did try it. We all have that in common.

Try the online ballot once you arrive in Scotland every day, I would think with today's economy, you have a better chance of making it on with not much hassle. And if you are running out of time and not getting in through the ballot then show up early one A.M.

There is no doubt in my mind it is worth it. I'm very glad I played last year and I would play it again. My memories are priceless and it has little to do with the history of TOC. Sure, I thought about the history on the long drive over, at the first tee, and at the 17th and 18th. But it was a great day largely because I was there with two great friends and met a new friend who was a lot of fun to chum around with. The memories I have are things like kicking myself for leaving the driver back a the house I was staying because my 2I was on fire at Turnberry - You can miss all over the place with driver at TOC, putting on the biggest greens I have ever seen, laughing when a friend completely wrong clubbed himself on a par 3, marveling at the incredible weather we had for almost a week, feeling my arms twitching from drinking Red Bull, getting the craziest lies I have ever had after seemingly good drives, getting out of hell bunker from up against a wall in one shot!, KascoPro's Doug Sanders moment on 18 and listening to the crowd go 'aaaahhhhhhh', and so many other little things. It was a great day. And these are just my on course experiences.

It's a must.

Here is my two cents worth. Our group was in scotland October 31st to November 7th. We were not scheduled to play the old course.It was booked. We signed up on the daily ballot and our 4 some got on. It is a must to play. Althoug it was not my favorite the experience was well worth it. If any of you get a chance to play Murrifield-It is hands down the best experience for golf and my favorite course

• 2 weeks later...
A. I am not trying to be pro and be a representative of the game

B. Almost everything he has said is negative.

I stand by my comment. If he has nothing decent to say, then just keep shut. The course is worth the price even if there are 100s of courses better.

Boy your a real piece of work.

A. I said I was young professional not a young professional golfer.

B. The question was is it worth it, in my opinion it really isn't however if your there your probably going to play it so go for it. What is negative is insulting someone for having a different opinion from yours. I hate the Yankees does that make me negative too? I also don't like Kobe Bryant. Man I am a real negative guy.

I also don't like Kobe Bryant. Man I am a real negative guy.

I used to not like Kobe either. Then I realized he may be the closest thing to Michael Jordan I will see for the rest of my life. So now, I enjoy watching him play, but still hate the Lakers! lol

Anyway, as far as the post. Thanks for the input guys. I think we are just going to play it by ear when we get into Scotland, and then use the daily ballot to try to get on. We are visiting the whole UK during our honeymoon, so I am not sure how many days of that will be spent in Scotland.

Either way, we are playing a ton of golf!!

Yes, it is totally worth it. (Look at my picture, it's me teeing off on 18 at the old course).

The new, and Jubilee are really fun also. Kingsbarns is a MUST. Also a great course nearby is Ilie, and another one called Crail. You will get on if you show up and get in line. Also you can try the lottery and play another course if you don't get on that day.

I have not played it yet, but there is a new course in the St. Andrews area, I think Tom Doak was the designer, and it is supposed to be GREAT.

Have fun

Bernard

I also don't like Kobe Bryant. Man I am a real negative guy.

I used to not like Kobe either. Then I realized he may be the closest thing to Michael Jordan I will see for the rest of my life. So now, I enjoy watching him play, but still hate the Lakers! lol

Anyway, as far as the post. Thanks for the input guys. I think we are just going to play it by ear when we get into Scotland, and then use the daily ballot to try to get on. We are visiting the whole UK during our honeymoon, so I am not sure how many days of that will be spent in Scotland.

Either way, we are playing a ton of golf!!

Number 23 from the Cavs is the closest thing you will ever see to Jordan my man.

• 1 year later...