X100 equals which rifle?

jest8

Made the switch 6 months ago from S300 to X100 to minimize some ballooning ballflight in the wind. I am a high ball hitter (using effective loft at impact not high spin). The X100s helped trajectory with a minimum loss of distance, but a substantial loss in feel. My 6 iron speed is 88 MPH, so I am right in between the S and X with TT. I swung a friend's 6.0 rifle with a similar head and liked it. I am thinking of trying the rifles but I'm not sure about flex. Ideally, something with similar tip feel but a little less flex than an X100 would be good for me I think.

Also would like input as to flighted or regular version (Project X is NOT an option). Thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was recently fitted for new rifle shafts. i have an 85 mph swing speed with the 6 iron and the guy said he would put me in a 5.5, but because i have the 6.0 he wouldn't change it. i would lose a little in distance, but gain in control so its not hurting me.

i did ask about comparing flexes between rifle and dynamic gold. he said they are just two completely different shafts so its apples and oranges, but said a 5.5 pretty close to a s300 and that the x100 is between the 6.0 and 6.5 but closer to the 6.0. if you are thinking you are between a s300 and x100 then the 6.0 would probably be the way to go.

flighted rifles are the same shaft as regular rifles except the kickpoint varies through the set, high kickpoint/low trajectory in the short irons and low kickpoint/high trajectory in the long irons. flexes are the same, but the long irons can feel a softer because of the lower kickpoint or vice versa, the short irons can feel stiffer because of the high kickpoint.

there are a lot of opinions on the rifle project x. some say they are a 1/2 flex stiffer, some say they aren't. i asked the fitter and said they are a tad stiffer feeling and that where if you are an in between flex with rifles he will tend to error on the stiffer side, with the project x he will error on the softer side. that said, if you are right at 6.0 with the rifle, he will put you in 6.0 in the project x.

as a side note from my fitting i would reccomend that if you get the rifles or flighted rifles go to a certified rifle club maker. they will use rifle blanks and can customize the flex and kickpoints for you. don't know if they can do this with the project x or not. also, be aware that the rifles tend to have a higher ball flight than the dynamic gold.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

A few months ago, I bought a new set of Mizuno MP-60s that came with DGS300. Over the past several years, I've either played DGS300 or Rifle 5.5. (I hit my 6 iron about 185 with a slight draw.) I prefer Rifle shafts over DG, so I reshafted the Mizunos last week with Rifle 5.5. To my surprise...I started hitting the ball much higher with the Rifles....not a good thing in the Texas winds I'll encounter until late May. So, the heads were pulled off the Rifle 5.5 last night and I'm going to put in a set of DGX100, softstepped one shaft (2 iron shaft in a 3 iron head, etc...) This will be my first set with X100s.

To me - Rifles have always hit the ball a tad higher and a bit straighter than Dynamic Gold and have much better feel. DG has given me more workability and a lower, boring trajectory (this can be good & bad!!), but I think I prefer these characteristics and I feel it's a more controlled shot.

I guess what I'm saying is..... you may want to consider what type of shot you want to hit. If you want to hit a lower traj. shot, you may want to look at the 6.0.

I appreciate the input. You are telling me what I suspected. I will always defer to a stiffer shaft to limit ballooning and tighten dispersion. I think I will try the 6.5 and see how it works. I feel like I can handle the flex of the X100, but would like more feel. The 6.5 is slightly lighter in flex with a softer tip, so in theory, this may work. We'll see.

... there is no direct comparison because they are completely different shafts. s-300 may butt cpm to 5.7 and x-100 to 6.7, but that is irrelevent because dg's are not made to a butt flex stiffness (they have softer butts and stiffer tips than rifles).

rifles hit higher generally and the feel between the two is just totally different. imo an x-100 will feel far stiffer than something between a 6.0 and 6.5 rifle ... ditto s-300 will feel stiffer than a 5.5 rifle.

i honestly don't think you can make a comparison between the two. it's a rare player that like both dg and rifle because they are so different in feel.

It seems I am trying to compare apples to oranges. I guess I should rephrase the question to ask: will I get a softer feel (less boardy) from a 6.5 than with an X100?

I feel like I have to make an effort to load the X100, which is not good because I am more of a swinger than a hitter. (I end up getting quick sometimes as a result.) I liked the S300 feel wise, but the ballooning ball flight drove me mad. I am okay with a high flight (which the rifles are supposed to give) as long as it is a boring trajectory and not balooning.

Also, can you soft step a 6.5 if they end up being to firm? Any other thoughts from you guys?

• 3 weeks later...