Egolf Amateur tour

Any feedback or thoughts?
Saw this online looks to be a little better pricing than the Gcat anyone played on this tour and have any thoughts or experiences from it?

egolf Amateur Tour coming to Phoenix
The Arizona Republic

Valley amateurs will have an opportunity to compete in a tour format this year as part of the egolf Amateur Tour.

Founded in 1995 in Charlotte, N.C., the tour expects to have 30 divisions across the country in 2009. The new Valley chapter, under director Blane Freytag, plans to hold 15 events, starting Feb. 8 and ending with a 36-hole finale on Sept. 13.

Freytag said events will be held on weekends, and golfers of all ages and abilities can compete in five handicap flights. Scoring will be based on gross stroke play. U.S. Golf Association rules will apply.

Season membership is $85, with an entry fee of $75-$85 per event. Top finishers will be eligible to compete in a tour championship Oct. 24-25 in Hilton Head, S.C. Information: http://amateurgolftour.net/index.htm or 623-764-3522.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks interesting. Might have to give it a try.

That is what I was thinking, it looks like most of the courses are not as nice as the gcat but are priced a little better. I may just have to join up and check it out

I play the one in Charlotte and its fun good players just long rounds but good courses

Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard that is the big complaint over most of these types of "tours" is the long rounds get to be a bit much.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

The course line-up is not too spectacular, I guess to keep costs down...

San Marcos

Bougainvillea

Hillcrest

Coyote Lakes

Sundance

Gets a little better in the summer

Copper Canyon

Whirlwind

GC Estrella

I'll probably just stick with the Longbow Men's Club next year.

Off topic a bit but,

Tjy, how is the mens club at Longbow? I have been trying to find a competitve one that is not over run by low net events always won by 40 hndcps that by a "miracle" come out and shoot 100 or less. The best one I have seen on paper so far is over at The Foothills with a solid event schedule with plenty of gross events plus a good mix of stableford, best ball low net events. It looks like the majority of their members are in the 6-10 range with a few lower and higher. I wanted to join this year but they wouldnt cut me a deal on price even though the season was 2/3 over. Most importantly to me is they play most of the events on sunday with some on sat which is perfect for my work schedule.

This tour looks interesting enough to consider doing I know the tracks arent the class of the valley but atleast the competition should be decent

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Why should I play?

"Our tournaments are held at the best courses in each city. "

Really poor schedule, with some very very bad courses. Far from the bext courses....maybe they meant, the WORST. San Marcos and Bouganvillea are the most utterly crap courses....as are some of the others. Plus the courses are primarily in Sun City...over and hour drive from the east valley.

I will probably pay the extra money to play GCAT and the schedule it has. Although, the PHX tour director resigned due to some kind of conflict with the Nat'l office. He canceled the full schedule. The Nat'l office said that they will try and keep the same schedule.

Edit: The schedule changed and some of the really good courses are now gone.

Major bummer...Greg Guest ran the most professional tours of the GCAT.

The egolf tour is much more popular and common in the eastern half of the US. North and South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Lousiana, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. I believe there are approx. 2500 golfers who belong. The annual final is a weekend event in Hilton Head which is really well done. I've played it the past two years. I would not say in most cases we are playing the "best courses" - but we do in most cases play good to above average courses at rates that are almost half the price of some of the other tours such as the one sponsored by golf channel. For example, a typical entry fee on a Saturday event might be $80 which includes $20 to the prize pool, for a course that you might pay $50 for as the standard rate if you had a coupon or last minute tee time. Prizes are usually superstore gift cards or visa debit cards, NOT pro shop merchandise. The pace of play and level of organization varies depending on region - this is really tied to the one or two "tournament directors" in your area. The larger groups tend to be better run including penalties for slow play. Personally, I've looked at all the options at least in the SE US, and find this one to be the best overall compromise of good competition, decent organization, decent pricing, and schedule. Here is the link: http://www.amateurgolftour.net/

Still not sold. The Phoenix courses are terrible.

I don't get the HC flights either....in what world can a 5 HC compete with a scratch golfer or even a 10 with a 6!

I can't speak to your Phoenix tour - as I said, the vast majority of this tour is in the eastern half / eastern third of the US. Your tour Director may be making a judgement on what price point will get things started initially with a small following. Just guessing. If you don't like those courses, then I would not join. Normally, they would ID the courses they want, negotiate for the best rate which might be $5-10 less than the normal rate, then add $20 for prize pool, $5-8 for expenses, and $5-8 for profit, and there you have it. I think also for a small group just starting out, it is probably harder to set up tournaments with the better courses, when you have a very small number of golfers, in the first year or two just getting going.

On your HC question, the way it is set up, you give them either your current usga handicap index if you have one, or if not, the scores you normally shoot. They then slot you into Champ, A, B, C, or D. After that, they develop an index for you which counts EVERY tournament score. So your egolf index is almost always several points higher than your usga index, assuming you have one. After a few tournaments, you can move to where you really fit (or be moved automatically if you need to be in a better flight). They are pretty good about dealing with any sandbaggers.

But they do group you in flights, every 5 index points, and then you compete on gross score within your flight. Actually this is pretty typical of most flighted competitions in clubs and amateur events. Net score after handicap within a flight is very unusual --- although this seems to be what you are looking for.

You will find that the majority of golfers on these tours tend to be in the approx. usga 8 to 18 handicap range, which roughly equates to B and C flights. Believe it or not, but a lot of the golfers on this tour tend to be placed one flight higher than they should be, and I think perhaps ego keeps them there.

Just more info for you. Good luck with finding a tournament situation that will work for you.

Hilarious: From the FAQ:

Why should I play?

"Our tournaments are held at the best courses in each city. "

Really poor schedule, with some very very bad courses. Far from the bext courses....maybe they meant, the WORST. San Marcos and Bouganvillea are the most utterly crap courses....as are some of the others. Plus the courses are primarily in Sun City...over and hour drive from the east valley.

I will pay the extra money to play GCAT and the schedule it has. Although, the PHX tour director resigned due to some kind of conflict with the Nat'l office. He canceled the full schedule. The Nat'l office said that they will try and keep the same schedule.

Major bummer...Greg Guest ran the most professional tours of the GCAT.

Actually, if you were to play this tour in another city other than Phoenix, then you would play some of the best courses in the cities. You also get paid more than your entry fee for winning or placing high in the event. I have heard some rather interesting things about the GCAT as well, so each organization has some down points, but the EGolf Amateur Tour in the Raleigh area absolutely rocks.

Still not sold. The Phoenix courses are terrible.

I don't get the HC flights either....in what world can a 5 HC compete with a scratch golfer or even a 10 with a 6!

In any event that wants to prevent sandbagging. Also, you play to your handicap that is established only in EGolf tournaments. This helps prevent sandbagging, and that is what is important to the EGolf tour.

Also, scratch doesn't always mean that they shoot even par. I am a solid scratch golfer and I can throw out a 77 on a round where I can't hit the ball. That can even happen during a tournament.

Thanks Guys. Sounds like you like the tour in your neck of the woods.

The courses here in PHX are absolutely pathetic. So the fee is $85 for a course that is worth about $15-20.

This is a tough dilemna...because the GCAT was awesome with top tier courses. The prizes were a bit low...The TD took the big cut. But who knows what the new TD will do.

Also, the International Golfers Tour started up. The entry fee is on the high end($205), but the money is outstanding. But it is Handicapped.

The courses here in PHX are absolutely pathetic. So the fee is $85 for a course that is worth about $15-20.

This is a tough dilemna...because the GCAT was awesome with top tier courses. The prizes were a bit low...The TD took the big cut. But who knows what the new TD will do.

Also, the International Golfers Tour started up. The entry fee is on the high end($205), but the money is outstanding. But it is Handicapped.

mal, I'm sorry, but at this point I need to call bs on you. I looked up the Phoenix egolf schedule and looked up just the first two courses that met my eye. The first one, Foothills GC, has very good reviews on LMTT and has rates that range from $50 to $109. The second one, Ocotillo GC, is top 50 Golf World, 4/12 stars Golf Digest, and has several other honors from other organizations such as best new clubhouse, best golf shop, most under rated resort, etc. Normally people on this forum are above board but it appears you have some other motive to be making such negative posts in the face of contrary facts.

The courses here in PHX are absolutely pathetic. So the fee is $85 for a course that is worth about $15-20

I was looking at the schedule a bit closer and it is pretty bad to start the year. I dont think I would play an event until Hillcrest and Coyote lakes while neither are great courses they are both decent enough to play. Then there would be a big gap until May then the courses start to get better.

Hopefully since it is their first year they can build on it and improve the courses in following years. Still dont know if ill do this or join a mens club yet.

Thanks for all the feedback so far

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Greg Guest quit?.....dayum.....this was my year to re enter tournament golf and I commited to playing every event....first three over (I played poorly) but I was very happy with how Greg ran things.....

I am very disappointed....who can tell us more about the International tour?....where can we find more info?

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

I do not see why you would not play in the events if you are a golfer looking for competition? I just signed up and I do not care where you play, if its a competition for Am. level, play it. If you want to play for big bucks, play Gateway or big Pepsi Tour event. Don't knock a tour if you have not played it.

#YumaMade #YTown

mal, I'm sorry, but at this point I need to call bs on you. I looked up the Phoenix egolf schedule and looked up just the first two courses that met my eye. The first one, Foothills GC, has very good reviews on LMTT and has rates that range from $50 to $109. The second one, Ocotillo GC, is top 50 Golf World, 4/12 stars Golf Digest, and has several other honors from other organizations such as best new clubhouse, best golf shop, most under rated resort, etc. Normally people on this forum are above board but it appears you have some other motive to be making such negative posts in the face of contrary facts.

Sorry, bud....Yes, there are a few good ones the schedule(Ocotillo(my home course and yes it is one of the top 5-7 in AZ), Longbow, Estrella, Whirlwind, Eagle Mountain.....Have you ever played Foothills. I live 5 minutes away from the course and seldom ever go play it.

The first 8 tournaments are at less than desirable courses. I have played every one of them. Kokopelli is a joke of course. Foothills is monumentally overrated.

San Marcos is on the schedule multiple times...It is probably the worst of the bunch.

BTW, I have no other motive.....There are 3 tours in AZ right at the moment...2 starting and one that has been in place:

GCAT: $125/event $250/event for regionals(Las Vegas and San Diego), $700/event at Nationals(last year at Disney)

• Top tier courses all year long
  • Professionally run(at least with Greg Guest as TD)
  • Great Prize money redemption system
  • Nice Trophies
  • Prize money is on the lower end due to high TD cut
  • Prizes paid out to 33% of field
  • 2 regional events and a 4 day National event
  • Range of HC flights 3-4 strokes
  • Large fields
  • Not a good deal unless you play every event(nationals requires qualification)

EGolf: $85/event, $165/event for 1 regional in PHX, $150/event for Final at San Marcos, 2 day National in SC Hilton head price unknown

• Majority of courses on schedule are bottom tier with a sprinkle of very good courses in the summer
  • Unknown TD, but good reviews of tour from other areas
  • Site says top 3 are paid in the field
  • Range of HC flights, 5 strokes
  • 1 Regional in PHX
  • 2 Day National event
  • Field Unknown

International Golf tour: $205-$250/event based on course

• Mid to top tier course
  • Small field to date, (13-16) total
  • Handicapped, not gross
  • Multiple cash games
  • High payout to percentage of about 40% field
  • Unknown National events

One can't play all of these tours or even 2....the schedule cross. So my posts were trying to determine the best tour to play. Ultimately I will play one of the tours...As of right now, I am undecided due to the uncertainty of all these tours. Each one has some merit:

• Lower fee, Lower Courses(Overall), Field uncertainty, gross score
  • Mid Range fee, Better courses, more stability, uncertain TD and plan moving forward, gross score, low payout
  • Very high entry fee, Mid-top tier courses, very high payout, Handicapped

And if you are ever in AZ, I will take you to Foothills and show you just how poor the course is.....as an aside to that, they were offering low prices and a Money Back deal to try and get people to play this last few months.

In conclusion, I have no other motive other than to play the best events for the value.

Greg Guest quit?.....dayum.....this was my year to re enter tournament golf and I commited to playing every event....first three over (I played poorly) but I was very happy with how Greg ran things.....

I am very disappointed....who can tell us more about the International tour?....where can we find more info?

Yup. Greg Left. I wrote briefly in the other thread(GCAT). I think it was a money deal.

I do not see why you would not play in the events if you are a golfer looking for competition? I just signed up and I do not care where you play, if its a competition for Am. level, play it. If you want to play for big bucks, play Gateway or big Pepsi Tour event. Don't knock a tour if you have not played it.

Enjoy. Hope you do well. I may see you out there. I'll take your statement personally and put a whooping on you! ;) JK! Except for the Whooping part!

I'll probably just stick with the Longbow Men's Club next year.

Off topic a bit but,

Tjy, how is the mens club at Longbow? I have been trying to find a competitve one that is not over run by low net events always won by 40 hndcps that by a "miracle" come out and shoot 100 or less. The best one I have seen on paper so far is over at The Foothills with a solid event schedule with plenty of gross events plus a good mix of stableford, best ball low net events. It looks like the majority of their members are in the 6-10 range with a few lower and higher. I wanted to join this year but they wouldnt cut me a deal on price even though the season was 2/3 over. Most importantly to me is they play most of the events on sunday with some on sat which is perfect for my work schedule.

One Putt;

Sorry, I just saw your question about Longbow...

I've played there for two seasons and have just signed up for 2009. It is the best public course men's club I have ever been in. I'll just throw out some train of thought comments:

- It is a course that is interesting and challenging and I enjoy playing it repeatedly. It is also extremely well conditioned and maintained "fast and firm."

- The staff runs all the tournaments, efficiently and professionally. Most communication is by email, including sign-ups and results (usually in your inbox by the time you get home!). This is a refreshing contrast to the somewhat haphazard volunteer-run clubs I have been a member of.

- Club members receive a substantial discount from rack rates anytime (not just for tournaments). In 2008, the highest tournament fee in high season was $85 (Rack rate was $125). Tournament fee includes $20 prize fund.

- Optional $10 skins (gross by flight)

- Prizes are in pro shop credit.

- Typical turnout is around 60. Usually split into 4 flights. The bell curve seems to center around the 12 hcp, so the 1st flight usually spans 0-9, then 10-13, 14-20, 21+

- Depending on turnout, Each flight usually pays 2 gross and 4 net.

- Most of the events are individual gross/net. There is the occaisional team event and one stableford event. A 36-hole stroke play championship and a match play championship.

- I don't have a regular group, I like to just throw in my name so I have played with probably 40 different guys. I have yet to play with anyone that was an obvious cheater or totally clueless about the rules. This compared to some other clubs where it seemed every week I was paired with someone taking questionable relief, gimme putts etc.

- Can't say that I've been troubled by any obvious sandbaggers either. There seems to be a reasonable ebb and flow (at least in the B flight where I normally play).

You can check out the Longbow web site for full details about the club. You can see the results of the most recent tournament and check the scores to see the flight breakdowns, gross and net scores, etc

All in all, I am very pleased with this club. Great course, close to where I live, great pro staff, and a good group of guys.

Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Tom

Check out the (International Players Tour. They are located across the US. You can play as a professional or amateur.

Looks interesting but that is a lot of money. (from the website below)

How much does it cost?

Entry fees generally range from $160 to $195 for regular weekly tour stops. Major events may require up to a $600 entry or possibly more depending on the size of the purse to be paid. Membership dues are only $150 per year.

You are correct membership dues are $150. Then each event fees range between $160 - $195, but the prize money ranges between $1,000 and $2,000 for non-major events. Majors fees are $600, but the prize money ranges between $5,000 and $20,000. However, if you elect to keep you amateur status, gift certificates are available versus prize money.

You are correct membership dues are $150. Then each event fees range between $160 - $195, but the prize money ranges between $1,000 and $2,000 for non-major events. Majors fees are $600, but the prize money ranges between $5,000 and $20,000. However, if you elect to keep you amateur status, gift certificates are available versus prize money.

I guess I'm more into the $65 to $95 per tournament with $20 to the prize pool (such as Egolf tour). This keeps it affordable to play the tournaments 12-15 times per year. For me, as an "almost single digits player", the prize money is a nice reward but once that prize money starts to be in the high hundreds or thousands of dollars, this is out of my league. For people who really aspire to be professional, it might be a different story.

Agreed. A bunch of us have "defected" to the egolf tour. I put all the numbers into a spreadheet(can you say anal?). The golf tour turns out about half the cost....lower fees and less travel(GCAT had 2 regionals outside PHX). The courses improve as the season goes on and no tour dir. for the GCAT + they raised rates even higher on some courses(after the rates had been raised already by the previous TD).

Agreed. A bunch of us have "defected" to the egolf tour. I put all the numbers into a spreadheet(can you say anal?). The golf tour turns out about half the cost....lower fees and less travel(GCAT had 2 regionals outside PHX). The courses improve as the season goes on and no tour dir. for the GCAT + they raised rates even higher on some courses(after the rates had been raised already by the previous TD).

Anytime you see someone wearing long pants in the middle of summer, and saying they only want to play the best courses, you know you've got a sucker with deep pockets. And there will always be a certain number of those people, although not nearly as many these days with the economy the way it is. :black eye: