Hogan's Secret...what is it? what is it not? (Hogan Threads Merged)

Gxgolfer

Burleygolf

Remember the second title of the book: Hogan's Secret Angle.

We are nearing the top of our back swing and the weight has

moved into our left and the coil is almost at its max; we need

to release this power while it is still moving and stored. The

trigger, or the secret, is in the back of the right wrist. As we

near the completion of our back swing we are about 95% on

the left leg and start to bow the back of the right wrist as our

trigger, letting us keep the correct angle back to the ball, this

making the right elbow start to move forward toward the ball,

we lay the club off and this move will set us up for great lag

power with the rotation of our upper trunk.

-------------------------------------------

Not entirely awful. If the right wrist stuff is forcefully done, then I couldn't agree that has to happen like that.

I agree with the blue. I don't agree with the red. The pivot, the sequence, the transition, and the angles or path the shoulders move on make Hogan's downswing work like it does. The arms, hands, and club all respond to those actions.

Quite a few well known players have transitioned and used a downswing action like this. Maybe not as dynamically as Hogan, but more or less similar in fundamentals.

I have 2 questions for anyone out there:

1. What is meant by "getting level left". I saw some references earlier in this thread but was a little too shy to say "I don't get it"

2. What do people think (not aesthetically, but functionally) of Justin Leonard's swing, particularly his follow through and finish? In his prime, he really finished "around" his left side. Since Justin is also a Texan, did he have any link to Hogan?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I received an email from a friend of mine and fellow Golfwrx member about this latest deal..........here's my response.......

I have NO idea who Burley is.......from Beaumont I take it........never met him........never visited with him........he's certainly never asked ME about MY opinions on anything golf or golf related..........probably hasn't read much of anything I've ever posted here, etc. I'll just say this, I'll be more than happy to visit with him anytime he likes..........

As for playing professional golf on the Adam's Tour, it's a nice tour and pretty competitive. However, it's still a mini tour and competing successfully upon it is a long way from actual long lasting success in professional golf. It is part of the process, but, there are several substantial steps to be climbed before a player should "crown" themselves as having accomplished much in professional golf. A player should be proud of their accomplishments, but, continue to maintain a sense of humility as success can be fleeting..........history certainly illustrates this........

I see where "Hogan-Nut" as insinuated that his coach has worked with "several" of my former, or current, students. I'd be very curious to know who these guy's are as I only have 1 player on that tour that I would consider I have worked with........and I still do. The rest are beyond the Adam's Tour and have moved onward. So HN, please provide the names of these players as innuendo is just that, innuendo........kinda' shows ya' got an "axe to grind" for some reason.........

In the past 5 years "my" kids have won state juniors in AR, TX, LA........HS Individual championships in LA, AR........the Starburst in Waco.......the Bubba Conlee in Memphis.........the AJGA in Ringold, GA........and a zillion other junior/HS tournaments of regional significance.........in my career they have received scholarships to TT, UTA, UTSA, Rice, AR, Baylor, TX A&M, AZ, Southern MS, College of Charleston and numerous other colleges.......all accomplished teaching in small markets and without ONE ounce of self promotion/advertising.......I don't speak of this stuff much because I never hit ONE shot for them, they hit em'........I don't live through the successes of my students as some do, I'm simply proud of them........however, if your trying to insinuate that I don't know what I'm doing I think the results would indicate otherwise.........

I'd also be more than happy to debate Mr. Hogan's golf swing with anyone........but, it will be done in an environment that I choose and not on a public forum.....I'd LUV to have a forum like a court of law........each advocate states their case with whatever "proof" they can produce in front of an impartial "jury".......that would be my ideal.........probably because I was raised by as fine a prosecutor/judge as has probably strutted this earth.......Anyway, .I've already stated a LOT of my opinions regarding his golf swing on this site.........not all, but, certainly more than anyone else has been willing to state.........IF somebody is interested in what I have to say on the subject there is more than enough on this site............just do a search........

The interesting thing is this, Mr. Hogan died on July 25, 1997........this fact ensures that we will NEVER know what his true "secret" was........or if there ever was one..........I happen to believe there was and think I can prove to most reasonable people my "case" using footage......footage from 1939 - 1984.........and his own words.........but, I also know that whatever MY belief's, they are still just MY beliefs/opinions and will never be verified.........just like all others.........there is no more "circuitous" debate in all of golf.......probably in life........therefore, it's somewhat of a waste of time........I'd imagine EVERY point made in this thread has been covered many times on this site in the past........as far as myself, there is no sense in my rehashing something I've already written and probably multiple times........

I also have a fairly in depth understanding of human nature........foibles like greed, envy, jealousy, coveting, etc. etc. etc.......some small minded and insecure people expose theirs from time to time........part of the deal........so I choose to ignore the vast majority of BS that might get thrown my way.......I choose to simply try and do what's best for my family and myself.......my father taught me a saying when I was a lil' boy, "spend 50% of your time minding your own business, the other 50% keeping your nose of OUT other people's, and you have a FULL time proposition".......I TRY and live my life that way ...just keep doing the thing that I love which is attempt to help golfers while at the same time taking care of my family........don't bat 1000% either, but, I give it my level best.......bet my % when compared to most is certainly more than satisfactory.........at least the results would seem to indicate such..........

One thing that bothers me, over the recent past I've noticed this site take a turn for the worse.......people with obvious "agendas" drifting in, or in some cases charging in, and attempting to interject their opinions as if they are the all seeing and all being expert on golf.......which they aren't, nobody is, including myself.......some "teachers" obviously attempting to self promote rather than actually help golfers.......while I find self promotion distasteful (should be UNnecessary if the person can teach) there is certainly nothing wrong with interjecting an opinion as that is what a venue like this is specifically designed for........however, a certain civil decorum should be maintained and at one time that was the rule here.......in my opinion that has deteriorated a bit.......and I truly hate to see this occur........

I've also had a number of Golfwrx members email me and ask where I've been and why I'm not posting much these days........in a nutshell, my home was virtually destroyed back on May 22nd and we're still rebuilding it.........combine that with the demands of family, teaching golf, etc. etc. and I'm simply very busy, overwhelmed is a better word, at least at times......I'm also pretty much a "one man band" in that I have to mow, pick balls, etc. etc. etc. ....as a result I simply don't have the time at this point to spend much time on the internet........priorities had to be reorganized.......at least for the short term........that's why I haven't been around here much over the past few months.........I also felt others opinions needed to be stated and that I'd pretty well stated most of mine...... that it was time to slow down and let others debate our game........I'm sure at some point I'll be back posting again, but, probably not to the level that I once did........part of life, gotta' adjust with the flow..........

In summary, I would like to take this opportunity to truly thank this site and the members of it. I've met some fantastic people because of Golfwrx, some of which have become true friends. My association with this site has been a true blessing for myself and my family. I will always be indebted to those that created this site and to many of it's members.

I hope you all enjoy a wonderful 09'.........and not just on the golf course....... ;)

I see you got my e-mail :) .

Thanks for the best wishes for todays round, I shot 67 in windy conditions T4!

Blake sent me this email and asked that I post it for you all...

Dear Golfwrx'ers

First, I want to apologies to any person I have offended on Golfwrx, and second reading back through my post I see how one can misconstrued the typing language of another person. Reading off line it is easier to see because you have time to think and watch others reply. This is my mistake for jumping to the conclusion I was being singled out and attached. I asked Michael to post this letter so you would understand my thoughts are only to try and help others and sometimes I have gone over board, once again I offer my most sincere apology.

Now, I want to thank Geoff for his letter and offer to talk golf any time. I myself have never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff in person; we have PM before and have a mutual friend in common. I have read and downloaded the PDF for Slice, reading through it several times. He is a great instructor every person that says this is correct, and I enjoy all of his ideas even the ones that I personally do not agree with. As a great teacher of the game you have to be open to others thoughts and ideas, this is how we learn. No teacher is going to agree with every idea each one has, but this does not make them right or wrong. I have tried in the past weeks to contact Geoff with out luck, seems every person in Texarkana I called that is in the golf business does not have much of anything to say about Geoff, and from what I hear I’m sure it is because of his great success with all the players up there, taking away business from the other pro’s. That says a lot for him right there that his instruction is at a level of worthiness’. Geoff mention he wanted to know names of students of his I have been contacted by, well I will not give that info, but I will say they are not playing any tours.

I do not want to fight with any one on the forum about who is wrong and who is right. As Geoff has expressed the forum has turned into more of a one-sided debate and the sharing of information has become obsolete from others in fear of being ridiculed. I would like to post on here and yes I had more than one I.D. all I can do is read now and that’s fine, if the Golfwrx Admin want to let me post again I would be more than thankful and try to the best of my abilities to control my tone a little better. I am vey open to talk golf with anyone if they would like to email me or call; you all know how to get in contact with me.

One other personal note I wanted to clear up. I have read from a few of the members post that they have contacted the Hogan Foundation about my use of the Hogan name and photos. The Hogan foundation has nothing to do with that, but the Hogan estate does. To set the record strait I have been granted full rights to use the Hogan name and image by the Hogan Estate, and image rights by Simon and Shuster who have all rights to Hogan’s image in publications.

Sincerely,

Blake Burleson AKA: BurleyGolf, Texan_Golf, and Pgascooby

Burleygolf

Not entirely awful. If the right wrist stuff is forcefully done, then I couldn't agree that has to happen like that.

I agree with the blue. I don't agree with the red. The pivot, the sequence, the transition, and the angles or path the shoulders move on make Hogan's downswing work like it does. The arms, hands, and club all respond to those actions.

Quite a few well known players have transitioned and used a downswing action like this. Maybe not as dynamically as Hogan, but more or less similar in fundamentals.

1. What is meant by "getting level left". I saw some references earlier in this thread but was a little too shy to say "I don't get it"

2. What do people think (not aesthetically, but functionally) of Justin Leonard's swing, particularly his follow through and finish? In his prime, he really finished "around" his left side. Since Justin is also a Texan, did he have any link to Hogan?

I will let the expert answer your first question.

If my memory serves me right, Justin has been a long time student of Randy Smith, to whom Slice has HIGH respect! Any one pls correct if I am wrong...

Dear Golfwrx'ers

First, I want to apologies to any person I have offended on Golfwrx, and second reading back through my post I see how one can misconstrued the typing language of another person. Reading off line it is easier to see because you have time to think and watch others reply. This is my mistake for jumping to the conclusion I was being singled out and attached. I asked Michael to post this letter so you would understand my thoughts are only to try and help others and sometimes I have gone over board, once again I offer my most sincere apology.

Now, I want to thank Geoff for his letter and offer to talk golf any time. I myself have never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff in person; we have PM before and have a mutual friend in common. I have read and downloaded the PDF for Slice, reading through it several times. He is a great instructor every person that says this is correct, and I enjoy all of his ideas even the ones that I personally do not agree with. As a great teacher of the game you have to be open to others thoughts and ideas, this is how we learn. No teacher is going to agree with every idea each one has, but this does not make them right or wrong. I have tried in the past weeks to contact Geoff with out luck, seems every person in Texarkana I called that is in the golf business does not have much of anything to say about Geoff, and from what I hear I'm sure it is because of his great success with all the players up there, taking away business from the other pro's. That says a lot for him right there that his instruction is at a level of worthiness'. Geoff mention he wanted to know names of students of his I have been contacted by, well I will not give that info, but I will say they are not playing any tours.

I do not want to fight with any one on the forum about who is wrong and who is right. As Geoff has expressed the forum has turned into more of a one-sided debate and the sharing of information has become obsolete from others in fear of being ridiculed. I would like to post on here and yes I had more than one I.D. all I can do is read now and that's fine, if the Golfwrx Admin want to let me post again I would be more than thankful and try to the best of my abilities to control my tone a little better. I am vey open to talk golf with anyone if they would like to email me or call; you all know how to get in contact with me.

One other personal note I wanted to clear up. I have read from a few of the members post that they have contacted the Hogan Foundation about my use of the Hogan name and photos. The Hogan foundation has nothing to do with that, but the Hogan estate does. To set the record strait I have been granted full rights to use the Hogan name and image by the Hogan Estate, and image rights by Simon and Shuster who have all rights to Hogan's image in publications.

Sincerely,

Ok, so Hogan_Nut is Michael Arnaud? Also, BurleyGolf has videos of his swing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDLYLkBs3Q...re=channel_page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtX8v_HQu3g...feature=channel

Dear Golfwrx'ers

Now, I want to thank Geoff for his letter and offer to talk golf any time. I myself have never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff in person; we have PM before and have a mutual friend in common. I have read and downloaded the PDF for Slice, reading through it several times. He is a great instructor every person that says this is correct, and I enjoy all of his ideas even the ones that I personally do not agree with. As a great teacher of the game you have to be open to others thoughts and ideas, this is how we learn. No teacher is going to agree with every idea each one has, but this does not make them right or wrong. I have tried in the past weeks to contact Geoff with out luck, seems every person in Texarkana I called that is in the golf business does not have much of anything to say about Geoff, and from what I hear I’m sure it is because of his great success with all the players up there, taking away business from the other pro’s. That says a lot for him right there that his instruction is at a level of worthiness’. Geoff mention he wanted to know names of students of his I have been contacted by, well I will not give that info, but I will say they are not playing any tours.

I do not want to fight with any one on the forum about who is wrong and who is right. As Geoff has expressed the forum has turned into more of a one-sided debate and the sharing of information has become obsolete from others in fear of being ridiculed. I would like to post on here and yes I had more than one I.D. all I can do is read now and that’s fine, if the Golfwrx Admin want to let me post again I would be more than thankful and try to the best of my abilities to control my tone a little better. I am vey open to talk golf with anyone if they would like to email me or call; you all know how to get in contact with me.

One other personal note I wanted to clear up. I have read from a few of the members post that they have contacted the Hogan Foundation about my use of the Hogan name and photos. The Hogan foundation has nothing to do with that, but the Hogan estate does. To set the record strait I have been granted full rights to use the Hogan name and image by the Hogan Estate, and image rights by Simon and Shuster who have all rights to Hogan’s image in publications.

Sincerely,

If you were trying to make it look like you two don't have an agenda, you aren't doing a very good job of hiding it.

Nice finish in the tourny.

LMFAO... looks like Bill Murray when he is hitting flowers... takes it way inside.. LOL.

No SECRET there...

Dear Golfwrx'ers

Now, I want to thank Geoff for his letter and offer to talk golf any time. I myself have never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff in person; we have PM before and have a mutual friend in common. I have read and downloaded the PDF for Slice, reading through it several times. He is a great instructor every person that says this is correct, and I enjoy all of his ideas even the ones that I personally do not agree with. As a great teacher of the game you have to be open to others thoughts and ideas, this is how we learn. No teacher is going to agree with every idea each one has, but this does not make them right or wrong. I have tried in the past weeks to contact Geoff with out luck, seems every person in Texarkana I called that is in the golf business does not have much of anything to say about Geoff, and from what I hear I'm sure it is because of his great success with all the players up there, taking away business from the other pro's. That says a lot for him right there that his instruction is at a level of worthiness'. Geoff mention he wanted to know names of students of his I have been contacted by, well I will not give that info, but I will say they are not playing any tours.

I do not want to fight with any one on the forum about who is wrong and who is right. As Geoff has expressed the forum has turned into more of a one-sided debate and the sharing of information has become obsolete from others in fear of being ridiculed. I would like to post on here and yes I had more than one I.D. all I can do is read now and that's fine, if the Golfwrx Admin want to let me post again I would be more than thankful and try to the best of my abilities to control my tone a little better. I am vey open to talk golf with anyone if they would like to email me or call; you all know how to get in contact with me.

One other personal note I wanted to clear up. I have read from a few of the members post that they have contacted the Hogan Foundation about my use of the Hogan name and photos. The Hogan foundation has nothing to do with that, but the Hogan estate does. To set the record strait I have been granted full rights to use the Hogan name and image by the Hogan Estate, and image rights by Simon and Shuster who have all rights to Hogan's image in publications.

Sincerely,

Ok, so Hogan_Nut is Michael Arnaud? Also, BurleyGolf has videos of his swing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDLYLkBs3Q...re=channel_page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtX8v_HQu3g...feature=channel

anyone else have Burley Golf add them on facebook...

haha...u got me

against my better judgement I searched for Burley Golf on facebook

it actually wasn't a joke. He had a group which I was invited to called Burley Golf. I joined and was a little rude to the creator (blake) for the same reasons most are rude to him on here.. this was before even knowing that he posted on this forum. I guess he eventually removed the group as it doesn't show up anymore.

Sounds like this is what Burley Golf thinks is the "Secret." From their website:

"We are nearing the top of our back swing and the weight has

power with the rotation of our upper trunk."

Burley Golf

LOL this Bertrand dude says the exact opposite:

btw .... I am really looking forward to the time this threads returns to discussion of proper setup and pivot, and swings that the core controls downswing arm movements. This active wrist stuff is for the birds, IMHO

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Sounds like this is what Burley Golf thinks is the "Secret." From their website:

"We are nearing the top of our back swing and the weight has

power with the rotation of our upper trunk."

Burley Golf

LOL this Bertrand dude says the exact opposite:

btw .... I am really looking forward to the time this threads returns to discussion of proper setup and pivot, and swings that the core controls downswing arm movements. This active wrist stuff is for the birds, IMHO

You can find all of what you're looking and more in Slice's Texarcana, it's free.

So nice to see slice's message taken to heart. M more O obnoxious R ranting A and D disrespect.

Very impressive.

:busted2:

your right. BUT STILL anybody associated with Burley coming into this thread telling he knows the secret on his very first post is bound to get made fun of... a least a little. That is only fair.

You can find all of what you're looking and more in Slice's Texarcana, it's free.

Yeah I've got it. KC was nice enough to send it to me. But the interactive discussion on the thread is good too. IMHO far preferable to debating whether Hogan "Harley'd" or "flattened" the wrists at the top.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Funny how Tiltswing is the leader of "most" of the idiots on this thread it seems, then spider, logan, and RJC59 just get it started. This makes way for the GranMaster SF to come in and look like a Hero! Think I will go over to Sevam1's forum where Burley and the rest of the real golfers hang out and read logical not bias post like the rest of the members there.

Please, delete my account on this forum!

I just threw up in my mouth a little....

SF "One thing that bothers me, over the recent past I've noticed this site take a turn for the worse.......people with obvious "agendas" drifting in, or in some cases charging in, and attempting to interject their opinions as if they are the all seeing and all being expert on golf.......which they aren't, nobody is, including myself.......some "teachers" obviously attempting to self promote rather than actually help golfers.......while I find self promotion distasteful (should be UNnecessary if the person can teach) there is certainly nothing wrong with interjecting an opinion as that is what a venue like this is specifically designed for........however, a certain civil decorum should be maintained and at one time that was the rule here.......in my opinion that has deteriorated a bit.......and I truly hate to see this occur........"

+1 sadly

Too many personalities trying to be number one

SF "One thing that bothers me, over the recent past I've noticed this site take a turn for the worse.......people with obvious "agendas" drifting in, or in some cases charging in, and attempting to interject their opinions as if they are the all seeing and all being expert on golf.......which they aren't, nobody is, including myself.......some "teachers" obviously attempting to self promote rather than actually help golfers.......while I find self promotion distasteful (should be UNnecessary if the person can teach) there is certainly nothing wrong with interjecting an opinion as that is what a venue like this is specifically designed for........however, a certain civil decorum should be maintained and at one time that was the rule here.......in my opinion that has deteriorated a bit.......and I truly hate to see this occur........"

+1 sadly

Too many personalities trying to be number one

DeLaveaga is a testy course, played there twice many moons ago. I hate the first hole with OB on the left and trees on the right.

Burleygolf

1. Level left refers to the shoulders turning more perpendicular to the spine angle. This can pull the arms more around. Versus......a right shoulder working lower and a left shoulder working up. That would release it all more underneath and up and of course more down the line.

2. To be honest, I haven't paid any attention to Mr. Leonard's swing in quite some time. So, I shouldn't say anything. LOL. :lol: I just don't know a whole lot about it.

I was thinking, maybe it's time for a little ban for the members here who just dont' get it. What is with some of you people? All the warnings, all the PMs, and still more nonsense posts that have nothing to do with Hogan.

Instead of sorting through this mess, I'm just going to lock this thread so you can all chill for awhile and think about whether you really want this thread. I'll re-open it tomorrow, maybe, but for now, no Hogan posts. And if any member starts a new thread babbling about Hogan, your account will be banned permanently.

Since you won't be posting any more Hogan tonight, maybe you guys should look around GolfWRX and see how other threads go. Never has a thread required so much moderation. Frankly, this thread is embarrassing to GolfWRX and yourselves.

I applaud slicefixer for coming on here and making a nice post putting things in perspective, the guy is pretty busy, has much more pressing needs, and still takes the time to help out. And how is he thanked?

Embarrassing, remember that.