2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Charlotte, NC Golf

Any suggestions or recommendations?
WRXers:

A friend and I are planning a two-day trip to Charlotte in early February. We're hoping to play a different course each day. Because weather can be spotty during that time, we may go further south if temperatures aren't reasonable.

That being said, what recommendations do you have for courses we should consider? I've played Birkdale, Verdict Ridge, Skybrook, and TPC Piper Glen. Of the group, Skybrook stands out as an enjoyable place.

I look forward to reading your picks. Thanks in advance.

WW

PS On a related note, is there anywhere south of Charlotte (within an hour) that provides two places to play (and which might present better weather in the event NC is just too cold)? Just thought I'd ask.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live about an hour south of Charlotte, in Lancaster, SC. Not sure that hour is going to help you out weather wise, we're usually within 3-5 degrees, but if you're gonna play in Charlotte, try to get on Ballantyne, it's pretty nice. If you do come south, you can try Fort Mill, they just did a huge refurb, although I haven't seen it yet. There is also Springfield, which is in the Fort Mill area. In Lancaster, there is Lancaster GC, an older course that is a terrific layout, and Edgewater, just opened in September. It's tight and tough, if that's what you're looking for, with fast greens. They just had it rated about a month ago, I think it got to about 74.5/145, if memory serves. Going to be a huge development on the Catawba river eventually. Anyway, shoot me a pm if you want, and I can give you some details.

I live in south Charlotte and agree with Sksmall recommendation for some courses on the south side of town. Ballantyne is a definate and I've heard good things about Carolina Lakes but I haven't played it. Its at a Dell Webb Sun City retirement community but it is not a retirement course - about $65 I think.

You may not get much of a break by going 1 hour south. Columbia, SC is about 1 1/2 or 90 miles down I77 but don't know anything about their golf courses. Pinehurst is about 2 hours or 100 miles from south Charlotte but the weather would be similar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. We're coming down from Roanoke, VA, and will need to be within an hour of Charlotte proper.

I've heard a number of good things about Ballantyne but hadn't considered it for this trip. I'll give them a ring to see what rates they can offer to a non-guest.

I appreciate any additional information any of you can provide.

WW

I live just north in Huntersville, and I recommend staying away from Skybrook. Long rounds and the condition of the greens and bunkers is HORRIBLE since joing the IRI group of courses. Birkdale is also a part of that group, but their Super actually cares about his course and has done a great job over the last year. Highland Creek and Birkdale are great options...Fox Den is just north of Mooresville and is a very fun, cool layout in an surprising condition always. On the south side, Sun City/Carolina Lakes is a fun layout but the greens are like asphalt, just not very good. Otherwise it is a good track. Look into Olde Sycmore on the east side of town along with Stonebridge. In the Concord area, River Run is great but a bit pricy. That is also why I did not include Ballantyne...just too much $.

Verdict Ridge is in pretty good shape right now, but you have hit that already. Just be prepared...all courses are SOAKING WET right now and a change does not appear to be coming soon. We had over 4" of rain in December, 25% more then normal...and January has already been really wet here as well. Most courses will be path only, which would keep me from Skybrook and Verdict anyways. Highland Creek does not handle the water too well, but it is better then path only on the other 2 courses.

Thanks for the replies. We're coming down from Roanoke, VA, and will need to be within an hour of Charlotte proper.

I've heard a number of good things about Ballantyne but hadn't considered it for this trip. I'll give them a ring to see what rates they can offer to a non-guest.

I appreciate any additional information any of you can provide.

WW

There is a Private Ballantyne and one for the Public. Same general area but different facilities.

Didn't know Skybrook had changed hands. That's too bad.

Another option on our end is to head in a slightly different direction and play closer to Pinehurst. I haven't played Tobacco Road....and Tot Hill Farm isn't too far from it, I think. All other things being equal, this might turn out to be a good choice.

Thoughts?

WW

Ahhhh...I lived in Raleigh for 7 years and was only about an hour north of the Pinehurst area. Much better choice, you will get better golf for less money, especially in February. I have a magazing with Maples Golf Packages that include 2 nights of stay and 3 rounds of golf for super cheap. Tobacco Road is a must and is about 30 minutes north of Pinehurst, near Sanford. Tot Hill is great but is in Asheboro, about 45-60 minutes from Pinehurst. Definately do-able, but Tobacco Road should be your first thougt. The Pit is AMAZING as well and has a ton of character. Even the lower end courses like Hyland Hills are better then the public courses here and half the price. Talamor, Pine Needles, No. 8, Whispering Pines...the choices are endless and the value of price vs quality is really only matched by Myrtle Beach.

Charlotte public golf is wayyyyy too expensive for the quality in my opinion. The Raleigh area was much cheaper for public tracks...including the small towns just outside of Raleigh. If you can do Pinehurst...do it and do not think twice.

Didn't know Skybrook had changed hands. That's too bad.

Skybrook could not get enough members to go completely private and sold out to the Carolina Trail public group run by IRI. Many may hate me typing these thoughts, bt I believe that Verdict Ridge is on the same path. I considered joining them and their initiation is stupidly high for semi-private. They only have about 150 members and stay open full-time to the public as well, although it is expensive for the public. I like the course, but see it on th same path as Skybrook and IRI would not hesitate to gobble up another course like that one. Kinda sad...but private courses in this area are too many. You can get better deals then Verdict at Pine Island, Cowan's Ford, and Northstone and all 3 of those are within 15-25 minutes of Verdict. The other 3 are also completely private and offer better playing or clubhouse condition, so why dump 8-10,000$ of initiation to Verdict and still fight crowds?

I live in Charlotte and agree with most of the recommendations. The good news is that there are a lot of great public/semi-private layouts; the bad is that the conditions of these seem to vary a lot so you never know what you might get. Also, January and February are the worst months here for golf, with average highs only in the low 50's - sure, you get the occasional sunny and low 60's, but that is the exception, not the rule. This fall and early winter has been one of the coldest (average 6 degrees cooler than normal) and wettest (it is just soaking wet now, with more rain in the forecast) in probably 15-20 years.

Unfortunately for us in the Charlotte area, I would tend to agree that Pinehurst/Southern Pines offers better choices of courses, generally in better shape, and you actually get a bit of a temperature improvement since that area seems to get a few degrees milder temps than Charlotte, probably because it is closer to the coast and in the flatlands. Plus you can get more package deals than in the Charlotte area, since most of the courses there are resort-style courses.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Great feedback. Thanks again.

I'm going to check on a Tobacco Road package. Tot Hill is about halfway back to Roanoke, so we may try playing there on the way home if weather permits. It's always a bit of a crapshoot that time of year.

I didn't know things had been so wet in Charlotte. I appreciate the inside tips.

Any other opinions are much welcome.

WW

I didn't know things had been so wet in Charlotte. I appreciate the inside tips.

WW

Yeah...it has been a painful couple of months. November was the coldest for the entire state in 32 years...then it got warmer in December but we hardly ever saw the sun. I began to realize what life must be like in Seattle. The temps have been pretty nice, but the sun has not been out much in Charlotte and the rain has been a constant every week for 5-6 weeks now. The forecast for the majority of the east coast is winter starting strong but ending sooner. That should mean a good spring starting a little early, one can hope.

Let us know what you choose and how the conitions were...good luck.

I definitely agree with the Pinehurst area recommendations, even though I live south of Charlotte. The courses there are light years better than the ones in Charlotte proper, in my opinion, and for the same or sometimes less money.

The fact of the matter is the only good courses with public access is Pinehurst (#2, #4, Mid Pines, Pine Needles)

I'd say both Charlotte and the mountains have better private courses than Pinehurst.

I have played more around the Pinehurst area and I would recommend Tobacco road is a must play Tot hill is also great a nice cheap place to play is Legacy golf links. I am in the mountains and during summers I work for a private course called Jefferson Landing and he is the former superintendent at Pine Needles and he says all the time that Pinehurst #2 is not as nice as everyone thinks it just looks good for tv. But I don't know personally lol.

TM / Titleist / Machine
WITB Link

I definitely agree with the Pinehurst area recommendations, even though I live south of Charlotte. The courses there are light years better than the ones in Charlotte proper, in my opinion, and for the same or sometimes less money.

The fact of the matter is the only good courses with public access is Pinehurst (#2, #4, Mid Pines, Pine Needles)

I'd say both Charlotte and the mountains have better private courses than Pinehurst.

Charlotte does have great Private courses and at very affordable prices...but he is asking about a weekend trip to play public courses. The plubic runs in Pinehurst will blow away most places in the nation, including Charlotte, for quality and prices. Also, the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area offers amazing winter packages similar to what Myrtle Beach does...good deals.

I got an email from AME (I think that is the name) with different levels of packages in Pinehurst-Maples, Palmer, Nicklaus-or some such. You could get on PineNeedles, The National, MidSouth, and others for crazy good prices including lodging. Just a point of info-Hyland Hills closed a few weeks ago. Victim of the economy I guess. Pinehurst is the best place in the USA (other than Bandon but I don't live 100 mins from there). I must say that here in the Triad we have played more golf this past month than I can remember. Sat and Sun were great days and this afternoon was perfect. Unfortunately weather turning ugly.

IMO Charlotte has always been a dead zone for public access golf. Back in the late 70s there wasn't anywhere to play if you weren't a member somewhere. There is wonderful private golf there-Charlotte CC, Quail Hollow.

I lived in Roanoke for 8 years between 1999 and 2007. The company I worked for had satellite offices in Charlotte, Raleigh and Roanoke to name a few. We used to make it a point to travel 220/I-85 between Charlotte and Roanoke on business and stop by Greensboro and play Bryan Park at every opportunity. They have 2 - 18 hole courses that are second to none. Do yourself a favor and give it a look.

http://www.bryanpark.com/

NCNickent Guy,

I see you live in Hunterville do you belong to Northstone? I play there at least once a year very nice track.

Just joing Northstone about 3 months ago after being at Cowan's for for 1.5 years. Northstone is just a much nicer clubhouse, has a great gym, and a very social group of members. This crappy weather has kept me from playing there too much, but 3 rounds and I have been in love with the layout and conditions. Thy Zoysoia grass is great, but takes a little while to get used to when chipping around the greens. THe good thing is that putting on the zoysois is a great option since they keep it cut tight around the greens. I am realizing that there are a bunch of LONG par 4's. #4 is 450 from the Championship tees and uphill! #11 is 420 and up hill with a shallow green and OB long of the green! #14 and #16 are close to 400 yards each and have trouble all around. I am definately taking many mental notes on the best places to be out there.

Feel free to PM me on here any time if you want to join me up there!

Pinehurst #2 is not as nice as everyone thinks it just looks good for tv. But I don't know personally lol.

With all due respect, this is ridiculous.

Re: the post about Bryan Park: I've played there a number of times, including in a 2007 US Public Links qualifier. I enjoy both courses every time.

Thanks for the continued posts. The plan has evolved to include Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm on the way back (assuming weather won't permit play here in Virginia).

WW

I got an email from AME (I think that is the name) with different levels of packages in Pinehurst-Maples, Palmer, Nicklaus-or some such. You could get on PineNeedles, The National, MidSouth, and others for crazy good prices including lodging. Just a point of info-Hyland Hills closed a few weeks ago. Victim of the economy I guess. Pinehurst is the best place in the USA (other than Bandon but I don't live 100 mins from there). I must say that here in the Triad we have played more golf this past month than I can remember. Sat and Sun were great days and this afternoon was perfect. Unfortunately weather turning ugly.

IMO Charlotte has always been a dead zone for public access golf. Back in the late 70s there wasn't anywhere to play if you weren't a member somewhere. There is wonderful private golf there-Charlotte CC, Quail Hollow.

Actually, Charlotte didn't have any decent public access golf until the mid-1990's. But, since then, public access golf in Charlotte has exploded, and despite what I said about Pinehurst/Southern Pines offering better conditioned courses and deals than Charlotte, I would say that Charlotte, in 2008, offers a phenomenal variety of public courses. Between the economy, the weather, and other factors not all of those courses are in the best shape, but short of resort-type areas this is probably true about other areas as well.

Within 20 minutes drive of my house, I have Birkdale, Highland Creek, Skybrook, Tradition, Rocky River, and Olde Sycamore - 6 really good courses. Expand the drive time to 30 minutes and there are probably 10-15 more very good courses.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Within 20 minutes drive of my house, I have Birkdale, Highland Creek, Skybrook, Tradition, Rocky River, and Olde Sycamore - 6 really good courses. Expand the drive time to 30 minutes and there are probably 10-15 more very good courses.

While all of those courses are nice layouts, they are usually 5-5.5 hour rounds and the conditions of the greens and bunkers are usually pretty poor. But for public courses they are better than average. I think the problem that most people have about public golf in this area is the cost. Every single one of those courses you listed are $65+ for a weekend round! That is just stupid fo public golf. In the Raleigh area...the conditions are better and public courses like Wildwood Green, Falls Village, The Neuse are cheaper as well.

Charlotte's advantage is the wide variety of private courses like Raintree, Cedarwood, Northstone, Cowan's Ford, Pine Island.......these are allfairly affordable. The raleigh area does not have private courses for under $30,000 initiation.

Unless you live in the dead center...you are not getting to Birkdale and Olde Sycamore in 20 minutes each. They are 45 minutes apart, but those 2 are the best of the ones that you mentioned, great conditions usually. The problem is still the price and the length of time it takes to play there though.

I guess I am just used to $55 or less or public golf, usually in the $45-50 range for the weekends at most. TO each his own.

While all of those courses are nice layouts, they are usually 5-5.5 hour rounds and the conditions of the greens and bunkers are usually pretty poor. But for public courses they are better than average. I think the problem that most people have about public golf in this area is the cost. Every single one of those courses you listed are $65+ for a weekend round! That is just stupid fo public golf. In the Raleigh area...the conditions are better and public courses like Wildwood Green, Falls Village, The Neuse are cheaper as well.

Charlotte's advantage is the wide variety of private courses like Raintree, Cedarwood, Northstone, Cowan's Ford, Pine Island.......these are allfairly affordable. The raleigh area does not have private courses for under $30,000 initiation.

Unless you live in the dead center...you are not getting to Birkdale and Olde Sycamore in 20 minutes each. They are 45 minutes apart, but those 2 are the best of the ones that you mentioned, great conditions usually. The problem is still the price and the length of time it takes to play there though.

I guess I am just used to $55 or less or public golf, usually in the $45-50 range for the weekends at most. TO each his own.

Since I never played golf until I moved to Charlotte (15 years ago), I don't have a frame of reference. I agree that the conditions of the courses often leaves a lot to be desired. Price, even on summer weekends, can usually be discounted down to $55 between coupons, LastMinuteGolfer, Clickitgolf, being a member of the Carolina Trail, playing in the afternoon, etc. The killer is the 5 hour rounds, and I really do hate the slow pace of play.

The downside of the private courses is, of course, being limited to a single course (two in the case of Raintree), although there are reciprocals. I even joined one briefly, but ultimately found that the private option was more expensive and yet limited course selection. The BIG plus, was, of course, 4 hour rounds.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Since I never played golf until I moved to Charlotte (15 years ago), I don't have a frame of reference. I agree that the conditions of the courses often leaves a lot to be desired. Price, even on summer weekends, can usually be discounted down to $55 between coupons, LastMinuteGolfer, Clickitgolf, being a member of the Carolina Trail, playing in the afternoon, etc. The killer is the 5 hour rounds, and I really do hate the slow pace of play.

The downside of the private courses is, of course, being limited to a single course (two in the case of Raintree), although there are reciprocals. I even joined one briefly, but ultimately found that the private option was more expensive and yet limited course selection. The BIG plus, was, of course, 4 hour rounds.

With the reciprocals it is really not that big of deal. From a membership with Northstone I can play Cabarrus, Irish Creek, Pine Island, Myers Park...plus any across the nation that are a part of the Private Club Network (includes over a hundred). For me, the quality of course conditions are worth the extra money along with vastly better practice facilities and a 2700 square foot gym facility! I am not as much of a "course condition" ho like I sound, but raked bunkers and actual sand in there is important for me.

• 5 weeks later...