Titleist blades

tugolf08

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a review of the 670, 680, 690mb and 681/T. Haven't had the opportunity to compare the 695 yet.

The pictures are all of the 6 irons. Sorry I didn’t have time to compare all the clubs. They go in order : 670, 680, 690mb (originals, not dots ), T stamp (which is very similar to the 681). Wherever I have written T, take it to mean 681 too

Topline:

670 is way thicker than the others. T thinnest, the other two are thicker, but closer to the T/681 than the 670.

Offset:

690mb most offset, but even so they are hardly Ping Zings. The others are fairly comparable, but the 680’s have marginally more than the T’s and the 670’s. In the long irons though, the T looks to have least offset

Length of blade heel-toe:

690 longest, then 680, T and finally 670 is shortest heel-toe

Ball flight:

690mb is highest, but not actually by much. The other three are similar, but maybe the T is second highest, the 680s third, and the 670s lowest. I would emphasise that the differences are small, though. Maybe that’s because I know what I’m hitting and make compensations. Also, the shafts are different, a mix of S300, S 400 and X 100 here.

Sole grind, bounce etc:

The T stamps have almost no bounce. The spec sheet says they do, though it’s less than the others, but in reality they don’t! The 670’s have a very rounded sole.

The 680’s have a pronounced grind on the leading edge, which I hope comes out in the pictures. This just seems to prevent them digging and I get lovely shallow divots with them. The 690MB has the same, but it is less obvious.

Feel:

The T is different to the other 3. 670, 680 and 690 are all Endo forged, the T is Hoffmann forged. I am not saying there is a huge difference, or that the difference isn’t caused by slight shaft differences, but it is a slightly different feel to me. It certainly feels a little softer, and the other three have a clickier feel. Different materials: 1025 v 1030 carbon steel according to the specs, whatever the difference between those is.

Forgiveness:

If you’re looking at these, forgiveness isn’t top of the priority list. Or at least it shouldn’t be! But….. the 690mb is actually quite kind to you on slight mishits thin or out of the toe and heel. It isn’t forgiving high on the blade, which isn’t an issue off the deck, but make sure you tee it low and beware in fluffy semi-rough. I found the 670 much less forgiving than the other three, but that may be because I didn’t like the shape and was hitting them worse as a result! The T stamps are also pretty unkind on mishits to be fair, but I hit them much better than the 670s so maybe I didn’t notice! If you get steep they will obliterate the entire fairway, and your tendons. And toe hits are penalised more than heel, high or thin. The 680s are midway between the 690’s and the T’s. Much more forgiving in terms of angle of attack, no difference in terms of where you strike it on the blade.

Since I did this test, I've had the T's set up with PX and I've got used to them. They are without question the best feeling and produce the best flight of any clubs I've hit. And because the set up suits me, they are no less forgiving than other sets either.

I hope it answers a few questions.

Iain

Thanks for the review Cambo, that's a HUGE help. I seem to hear everyone talking about the 681s as the best out of the Titleist blades. Curious as to where I can get a set? Can i get these throught Titleist...being a collegiate golfer we are able to get our clubs through them for cost or slightly better so i'm hoping that is possible. If not I might have to wait to hear some reviews on the 695mb and see how they play compared to the others.

Also, I know Adam Scott, DL3, and Ernie Els play the 695mb now, does anyone know what blades they switched from to them?

Thanks for the review Cambo, that's a HUGE help. I seem to hear everyone talking about the 681s as the best out of the Titleist blades. Curious as to where I can get a set? Can i get these throught Titleist...being a collegiate golfer we are able to get our clubs through them for cost or slightly better so i'm hoping that is possible. If not I might have to wait to hear some reviews on the 695mb and see how they play compared to the others.

Also, I know Adam Scott, DL3, and Ernie Els play the 695mb now, does anyone know what blades they switched from to them?

Hi there,

they are unfortunatly no longer produced by Titleist. So you have to go to ebay or elsewhere. I also remember that JHR from this forum had a set for sale...the 681 and the almost identical "T"-stamped are really the best blades out there...

cheers

claas

Els played the 680's. I think DLIII's set was a prototype for him. Don't know what Scott was playing.

The Hoffman forgings were, indeed, quite "solid". Great feel. There was some problems with the chrome flaking/peeling on the Hoffman 681's and 681T's. The 690.mb's or the 680's are both great looking and are easy to fall in love with!

Here's a review of the 670, 680, 690mb and 681/T. Haven't had the opportunity to compare the 695 yet.

The pictures are all of the 6 irons. Sorry I didn’t have time to compare all the clubs. They go in order : 670, 680, 690mb (originals, not dots ), T stamp (which is very similar to the 681). Wherever I have written T, take it to mean 681 too

Topline:

670 is way thicker than the others. T thinnest, the other two are thicker, but closer to the T/681 than the 670.

Offset:

690mb most offset, but even so they are hardly Ping Zings. The others are fairly comparable, but the 680’s have marginally more than the T’s and the 670’s. In the long irons though, the T looks to have least offset

Length of blade heel-toe:

690 longest, then 680, T and finally 670 is shortest heel-toe

Ball flight:

690mb is highest, but not actually by much. The other three are similar, but maybe the T is second highest, the 680s third, and the 670s lowest. I would emphasise that the differences are small, though. Maybe that’s because I know what I’m hitting and make compensations. Also, the shafts are different, a mix of S300, S 400 and X 100 here.

Sole grind, bounce etc:

The T stamps have almost no bounce. The spec sheet says they do, though it’s less than the others, but in reality they don’t! The 670’s have a very rounded sole.

The 680’s have a pronounced grind on the leading edge, which I hope comes out in the pictures. This just seems to prevent them digging and I get lovely shallow divots with them. The 690MB has the same, but it is less obvious.

Feel:

The T is different to the other 3. 670, 680 and 690 are all Endo forged, the T is Hoffmann forged. I am not saying there is a huge difference, or that the difference isn’t caused by slight shaft differences, but it is a slightly different feel to me. It certainly feels a little softer, and the other three have a clickier feel. Different materials: 1025 v 1030 carbon steel according to the specs, whatever the difference between those is.

Forgiveness:

If you’re looking at these, forgiveness isn’t top of the priority list. Or at least it shouldn’t be! But….. the 690mb is actually quite kind to you on slight mishits thin or out of the toe and heel. It isn’t forgiving high on the blade, which isn’t an issue off the deck, but make sure you tee it low and beware in fluffy semi-rough. I found the 670 much less forgiving than the other three, but that may be because I didn’t like the shape and was hitting them worse as a result! The T stamps are also pretty unkind on mishits to be fair, but I hit them much better than the 670s so maybe I didn’t notice! If you get steep they will obliterate the entire fairway, and your tendons. And toe hits are penalised more than heel, high or thin. The 680s are midway between the 690’s and the T’s. Much more forgiving in terms of angle of attack, no difference in terms of where you strike it on the blade.

Since I did this test, I've had the T's set up with PX and I've got used to them. They are without question the best feeling and produce the best flight of any clubs I've hit. And because the set up suits me, they are no less forgiving than other sets either.

I hope it answers a few questions.

Iain

great post, and more importantly it is your first! wow, great pictures and descriptions. keep it up.

I've played all of the Titleist blades (except the 660 and 695, which I've only hit on the range).

My two favorites are the 670 and 680. I like the slightly more compact set-up. I think the 670 are pretty easy to hit, and fairly high, and the 680 are a little harder to hit and lower. The 670 long irons seemed especially easy for blades.

I like the 690•MB the least. It may be mostly cosmetic - I just don't like the look at address as much.

The 681 / T (which are indentical forgings, but differ slightly in loft, lie and swingweight) are , IMO, very good. I actually prefer the feel of the newer forgings (the 690•CB have been my main iron for several years).

Having hit the 695 and 660 only on the range, it's a bit limited, but my initial impression is that the 695•MB will be huge for them. They felt very solid, a slightly lower trajectory, and the long irons seem to benefit from the 'Z channel' muscleback. Easier to hit. The 660 didn't impress me that much, Okay, but at first impression I would like the 670 better.

I thought DL3 was playing the prototype 660's that were labeled 695.mb last year. I could be wrong.

The whole 660/695 nomenclature switcharoo was confusing. I think it was a result of the MP-32 success. The 660's were probably developed as the 695.mb, but Titleist wanted to market a muscleback to the masses. Again, I could be wrong and probably am.

Great comparison above, in fact I read and re-read it about 100 times when picking my current set of 680's. I had the 690's in the past and while they were a great club, I prefer a smaller blade, shorter heel to toe lengh, and thinner sole - plus the fact I didn't care for the shafts (px's), so I sold those and moved to the 680's. It was really between the 670's and 680's - and I am kinda anal about thick toplines so the 680's won me over. The 670's have a great sole for lusher grass, and would be perfect down here in Fl with all our bermuda, but I just liked the setup of the 680's more. In a perfect world, I would get 680's with the bounce of the 670 sole grind, but such an animal doesn't exist - at least not for Joe Retail :-).

681's - I never had a change to hit them but those who have them, AND have had them rechromed seem to love them. If you can find a set cheap on ebay and get the crappy chrome job redone you will have a sweet setup.

The newer offers are very Wilson-inspired, which cannot be a bad thing. I haven't hit them but I'm sure they will be a hit.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

DL3 switched off with the 680s and 670s but mainly stuck with the 680s. He switched to the 670s at the last presidents cup but then went back. Now hes using the 695mbs.

Adam Scott always pretty much played the 680s but played the T stamp before that.

Ernies first titleist irons were 690mbs (not the dots) then he switched over to the 670s before he changed again this year to the 695mbs

DL3 switched off with the 680s and 670s but mainly stuck with the 680s. He switched to the 670s at the last presidents cup but then went back. Now hes using the 695mbs.

Adam Scott always pretty much played the 680s but played the T stamp before that.

Ernies first titleist irons were 690mbs (not the dots) then he switched over to the 670s before he changed again this year to the 695mbs

Almost completely spot on!

Adam Scott also had a set of A Stamps. Rumour was that one or more sets of Tiger's cast-off T Stamps were used by Adam, but I know for certain that he was using a set of "A" Stamps at the 2004 Volvo PGA at Wentworth because I was about 2 feet from them. And dribbled a bit. They were indistinguishable from the T's FWIW.

Iain

• 8 years later...

I just got a used set of 660's, played a quick 9 last night with them. First set of blades I've played since the late 80's in junior high school and they felt amazing. They are easier to hit than any cavity back, I barely felt anything through the ball, just pure feeling through the ball, sound was a deep knock, sounded awesome.
I've tinkered with a few different shaft lengths, from 1" over to standard (my wrist to floor is high for 6'), this set is 1/2" over, extra stiff shaft (I swing easy but a strong swing), straightest flight I've ever had, best club I think I've ever hit. I'm not familiar with other blades but can't imagine them being better...guess I'll have to try a few other sets. Thank God for Ebay, not sure where I'll get the $$ though.

I bought 660's, hit them the first time last night, simply awesome. I had blades a long time ago then hit the cavity back era of the late 80's, early 90's. 660's felt better than any cavity back I ever hit. I want to try other blades out but can't picture irons feeling any better. Wish I had been hitting blades since then. Absolute hogwash by club fitters that they are hard to hit and push cavity back shovels at us, these were easier to hit than anything I've hit in 20 years.
I will add that I bought a set 1/2" over standard. A fitter said 1", but that was too long, standard length I'm reaching for the ball. Also went from stiff to X stiff. I feel these are right on the $$, I hit about 90% of my shots dead on, from 3-iron to PW.
The 660's are great, the set I bought are used, I may look for another nice set and have them reshafted...

[quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1402828520' post='9498731']
I just got a used set of 660's, played a quick 9 last night with them. First set of blades I've played since the late 80's in junior high school and they felt amazing. They are easier to hit than any cavity back, I barely felt anything through the ball, just pure feeling through the ball, sound was a deep knock, sounded awesome.
I've tinkered with a few different shaft lengths, from 1" over to standard (my wrist to floor is high for 6'), this set is 1/2" over, extra stiff shaft (I swing easy but a strong swing), straightest flight I've ever had, best club I think I've ever hit. I'm not familiar with other blades but can't imagine them being better...guess I'll have to try a few other sets. Thank God for Ebay, not sure where I'll get the $$ though.
[/quote]

One of my all time favorite blades. I wish I hadn't sold mine...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again