2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway X-Tour

Gxgolfer

The X-Tour Irons are manufactured with a proprietary two-piece forging process; the face is laser-welded to the body, allowing Callaway Golf to incorporate its patented 360-degree undercut channel technology to increase perimeter weighting in the club. The result? A professional-grade forged iron that delivers excellent workability and control, with legendary Callaway Golf playability.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my hands on a new x-tour wedge, 58* in the satin finish for a few days. I wish I'd had my camera to take pics. Sets up great - similar to the cleveland 588. Has a very workable sole and fairly straight leading edge. Not too rounded in the profile. This wedge had the 'R' grooves and spun the ball better than my Clevelands. Can't wait to try the MD grooves. I'll definitely put a 60* in my bag soon, maybe even replace my SW.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 60.11 with MD grooves a little over a week ago and all I can say is.... SWEET!

The grind on the MD club lets it sit perfect on tight lies but still open it up great for bounce when you want it. The thing checks any ball up where it lands pretty much... which takes some getting used to but it is nice :)

Nice club with pleasant weight distribution. Spins the ball well and feels pure off the face. I have the 58* PM grind and enjoy the variety of shots the grind allows. Only gripe is that on delicate chips I've been tending to blade it every now and then. Certain it's me and not the club, though I've never had issues with it before. Think I'm just adjusting to the weight. However, absolutely love it for those pitch shots that you want to go low and check quick, even from a tight lie.

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Cally brought it to our ranges monthly demo day today. We already had on ein the shop before but didn't have demos but i was pretty interested in them. When i first saw it i was like 'jeez cally wedge? whats cally thinking?'. I couldn't see cally having a better wedge than other brands. I took the 60.11 MD a hit on the chippin green and i was just amazed by the wedge. People were saying these are R. Clevelands updated 588's, it was true... I really had inconsistant spin rates on my wedges and I wasn't happy. Also When I open the face up in my rac Black 60.07 it sometime right under the ball and couldn't get any touch when i open the face. With this X-Tour, no problem. Even if its a 60* your still able to run the ball or just absolutely check it up(you can get CRAZY spin if you try) ;) :crazy2: . Very forgiving too. slight misshits and fat ones are no probs. HAs to be right up there in my wedge ranking. Also not really a cally fan and i just love it. Definately going to my bag.

I give it a 5.

I have been using the Satin X-Tour 56 and 60.11 PM grind for over a month. I have used the 60 quite a bit more in practice and on the course. To me, the feel is very good, probably a little nicer than the Vokey Spin Milled wedges I had been using. Lots of spin on the 60 degree with the MD grooves, more than the Vokey Spin Milled by a fair amount from what I can tell, and yes, also harder on golf balls than the Spin Milled from my experience so far. After hitting a lot of practice shots there is still quite a bit of spin, and still pretty harsh on golf ball covers even on practicing 10 to 30 yard pitch shots. I expect that as the grooves wear in a little more the wear on the golf balls will ease up some. The sole of the X-Tour is a little narrower on the 60 than the Spin Milled, but the X-Tours don't seem to be any harder to use. Over all I like these very much, good design, good feel, but admittedly they are hard on golf balls without a doubt. For someone with a higher swing speed the 60 may have too much spin on longer pitches and shots from the fairway. The balls I have been using with these clubs have been mainly the Precept U-Tri Spin and the Callaway HX Blue, both of which are designed to spin. It will be interesting to try some balls with firmer covers to see what happens with that.

I have not used the 56 degree X-Tour that do not have the MD grooves a lot yet, so am not sure how they stack up against the Vokey Spin Milled and other wedges yet.

• 1 month later...

Picked up the 52*.11 R groove this weekend. Already had a couple of nice rust spots on it.

At $119, it's relatively expensive for a wedge. But this club is MONEY. I'm just an ok player, even with my wedges. Played this Cally on Sunday and my chipping was much improved, and my shots from inside 70 yards were dead solid perfect. I even managed to spin the ball back towards the cup, something I've never done before.

A great wedge, I'm gonna replace my cheapo 56* with a Cally X-tour at the end of the summer.

• 7 months later...

just got this wedge this weekend.

tried it out during a round.

52 & 58 MD.......

(cool)

this thing produces crazy spin.... to the point of ridiculous!!!

after wearing down the grooves a little, it should get better!!!

ie, 40 yard pitch.... stopped on a dime!!!

:smilie_titty:

Ping G430LST 10.5* GD PT-6

Callaway Paradym 16.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70

Ping G425 Hybrid GD Hybrid 95
ONOFF Kuro Irons Modus 115

Titleist Vokey Raw 50F* 56D* 60T*
Scotty Cameron

Titleist ProV1x

• 4 weeks later...

greatest wedge ever! Just got the 60 degree pm satin today wow! i landed the ball in the rough and spun it back to the green, Good news is that i will be saving strokes on the course now, bad news is i will be losing money on buying new balls from all the shreding it does. but you know us golfers you can never spend enough money on lower scores!

• 2 months later...

Just picked up the 56 and 60 degree wedges today. Love 'em so far. The vintage finish really helps with glare, and yes, they spin the crap out of the ball. Cut up my B330 just hitting chip/ short pitch shots (<20 yards). But a little time will help with that. Only downside was the amount of bounce in the 54. I';m coming off of a 54.10, so I though 54.13 would be too much. Instead went 56.13 and had it bent to 54.11. Looks like that will be the money club for chip shots.

• 7 months later...

I have the 54-13 and 60-11PM wedges in the vintage finish. Totally agree with others about chewing up balls, even the regular 54. I love the look of these wedges, especially with the PX shafts I put in them. The finish is awesome no glare doesn't get too rusty. You can open them up and feel comfortable to play lots of shots. Soft feeling club that doesn't feel "clicky" with a confidence-inspiring look.

But for me this combo was inconsistent. I don't know if it was shaft or club head or me, but I play much better with standard vokeys with DG wedge shafts. Finally I just got sick of replacing my golf ball after practically every wedge shot. I'll admit I generate good amount of spin, but I was just too inconsistent with these clubs.

PS the clubs also have a pretty sharp leading edge, not too good for diggers

• 3 weeks later...

Have played about 5 rounds w/ my 54* x-tour wedge. This is a great club. Great amounts of spin, and lots of playability options. Even without the special sole grind, this thing can be opened up a ton. The feel is superb, and distance control is excellent. Also, this club slides right through the rough. It hasn't been caught up yet. Great club.

I just started using a PM gring vokey satin, the PM grind takes a bit of getting used to it. You have to be fairly aggressive and use a dead hands swing to make them work well. Out of the sand the P grind acts like a second bounce and pops the ball up nice and soft but on delicate tight chips & pitches it is very easy to hit them thin.

Can anyone comment on the ease of use in terms of the the PM grind.

ie: can it be easily manipulated for tight lies, deep rough, sand. Does it do it (whatever the grind does) on it's own?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just picked up the 52 and 58MD for $79 each at Golf Galaxy. $30 off! Whoo hoo!

I was looking for new wedges this winter, could not pass these up. It's insane how much decent wedges cost, this is well worth it. I also had a budget to work with, and this allowed me to get a new toy (5 wood).

Had a 60MD last winter and traded it for a Cleveland CG14 here. I could not play with the PM grind. This year I simplified my short game (thanks Stan), took a lot of the BS shots out, scores showed it was a good idea. I think that grind and 11 degrees of bounce should be useful now. The spin from that 60MD was insane, I'm looking forward to sticking some shots again.

:) :) :)

• 3 months later...

I have the 58/9 in Vintage. Best feeling wedge I've tried. I've owned Clevelands(588 and CG14) and I have Vokey Spin Milled wedges, and the Vintage X Tour beats them in the feel department. The Cally threw the '08 and '09 Vokeys in closet. The length from toe to heel is slightly longer than the Spin Milled. The shape is very similar to the Vokey. The Vokeys are more precise, but the X tour gives me more confidence at address. I love it and I may order the 54/13. A very sweet club.

• 1 month later...

i'm running 2 different callaway 60's these days: the 'scalloped' sole 60.11 x-tour (when its wet / mushy) and the new 'c-grind' 60.10 when its firm. I sanded down that 'ridge' on the c-grind and it slides a lot easier on the ground. When it was new, that 'ridge' really seemed to grab / hit the ground and create a distractingly abrupt interaction / friction with the ground....not good for the feel or confidence on tight lies. It felt like a little gremlin would just grab the club. Now that i've smoothed-out the sole on that c-grind, it looks like a polished river-rock and skips off the ground just the way i want it too.

the scalloped sole 60.11 is a totally different animal, and i really like it. I play more 'basic' style pitch swings with it - firm hands, nothing flippy, just trying to hit stuff solid : the shots you need when you're trying to bring a score in, not just out ther f*****g around. I think the concept with it is that by the time you feel that sole touch down, the ball is already gone...i know we're splitting microscopic hairs here in terms of timing, but it think that is the concept: the 'touch surface' of that sole is set back from the leading edge three-quarters of an inch....its gotta have some engineering merit. ANyhow, it is a very fun club and great out of the sand, too.

my 2 cents.

shagbag

• 1 month later...

I have had two X-Tour wedges for about 4 weeks now, and I have played about 10 rounds with them and had numerous short game practice sessions. I have a little mixed feelings.

58°-11° with PM grind and MD grooves:

Excellent, excellent club. The PM grind is the work of a genius, it allows you to play easily from all kinds of lies, never ever digs in (which would be my error with partial wedge shots often) and glides easily through soft sand (even if it's heavy) and skips perfectly on hard sand. The bunkers on the courses I play are rather inconsistent. You'll get lies with a lot of loose sand one time and lies with only a thin upper layer and hard packed sand right underneath. The neat thing with the 58° PM grind is, it doesn't really matter, you can apply the same sort of shot (same distance behind the ball) and get the same result for both kinds of lies.

The grind basically does the same thing from good lies on the fairway, from bare lies and from thick lies. I feel like I can always use the same shot, and it will be good. I like to contact the ground at about the same time as the ball on wedge shots, and the results with this club are really great. Also, the combination of the PM grind and the MD grooves seems to give me a large margin of error on slightly thinned shots. If I do catch it a little thin, it's lower, but there is more spin, so the result is still ok. It really shines on lies I get often on the courses in my area, which is a bare lie, but with very heavy, clay sod underneath. You can imagine that digging into this stuff can produce 3 yard duffs, when you were trying to hit a 30 yard pitch. The PM/MD 58° seems to correct this fault all by itself, unless the shot is really bad.

Spin: I do not find it that extreme. Very, very good, but predictable. But I have to say that I seldom play full shots with a club with that much loft. It can shred balls, but not more than Vokey Spin Mills or Ping Tour wedges (I feel those are little worse, actually, maybe because of the harder material?)

52°-11° (regular grooves, regular sole):

This is not so good. The sole design also is versatile, it will work well from all lies, and bunker shots which allow a bit of roll-out are very easy to hit. But I am really disappointed with the spin on that one. I like to play short shots with a chipping motion but a slightly longer swing. With my 52° Ping Tour wedge and even with my 51° Mizuno MP-T wedge, these will go about 1/2 of the distance in the air, and 1/2 on the ground. It doesn't work that way with the X-Tour. There is a lot more roll-out than I would expect, not the sort of spin that just slows down the ball like I want it to. As the shots get longer, the spin doesn't increase gradually, but a little more unpredictably. I cannot quite figure it now until now.

Experiences come from playing with Srixon Z-URS balls predominantely, and some rounds with Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Tour ix and Srixon AD-333.

Both wedges:

I think they wear really fast, not only the Vintage finish, but the grooves as well, especially if you use them out of bunkers a lot. The sand on my home course is rather coarse, and there are already very deep scratches in the clubfaces. The Mizuno MP-T (Black Nickel) wedges which I have had for a year, still look better, and they are also forged.

At the moment, I think I will get the best short game scoring by using the Ping Tour 52° and the Callaway X-Tour 58° PM/MD. Once again, the OCD devil in my brain will have to live with non-matching wedges in my bag.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 1 year later...

I was playing a 46/51/56/60 wedge set with 3 Cleveland wedges (588/900/900 series) beside the Callaway X-18 Pro pitching wedge.

In moving the bag around two years ago, I decided to drop a wedge and pick up a hybrid. I dropped my 56* and 60* Cleveland 900s and picked up the 58* X-Tour PM/MD Vintage finish wedge that now doubles as sand/lob.

The grooves are now comfortably "effective" but their destruction of my Cally Tour i(x) balls are a thing of the past.

I particularly like this wedge on 40-50 yard pitch shots - great set up and feel.

I'm sure this club will be in my bag for several years (still playing my favorite 51* 588 GW).