Orlando course recommendations

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would reco the following in order from best to very good:

1) Orange County National - Definitely Play 36

Played the Q School there - Panther Lake and Crooked Cat (Great golf day!)

2) Celebration Golf Course was in great shape, very nice track. Book on www.golfnow.com the night before, I paid $60 vs $110

3) Harmony Preserve, a bit of a drive but great track.

4) Eagle Creek - great rate, cool track.

5) Falcons Fire (if you get a good deal). Don't pay more than $60

Look in the Outings section and in the Course Reviews section in WRX and do a search on Orlando...You'll get all the answers and reviews you'll need.

Play well!

Driver - M2
3 wood - 915f
Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

I agree with Orange County National. Great courses!

Check out Northshore Golf Club near the airport. It would be considered a "Good" course for the layout. The condition is very good and the greens are always some of the best and fastest in Orlando.

Eagle Creek is near Northshore (close to the airport with good expressway access), and is also a "Good" course and a fun layout.

Grande Pines is very challenging and located nearer the Parks. Recent Faldo / Smyers touch up has made it a good test.

Grand Cypress New Course is a blast and would be considered an indulgence.

Harmony Golf Preserve IS a hike from Orlando, but is a good deal because it's so remote.

In the Grand Cypress category, look into Championsgate. It's about a 20 minute drive on I-4 towards Tampa from Orlando.

If you don't mind driving a bit .....World Woods in Brooksville ( near Tampa) is on every magazines "Best You Can Play" list.

Have a great trip!

I wasn't that impressed by Falcon's Fire. The greens were terrible. A course that I liked that was only $38 in the morning on a weekday was Sanctuary Ridge outside of Orlando in Clermont, About a 30 minute drive from where I stayed at the Gaylord Palms.

That is VERY unusual for Falcon's Fire, as they consistently have some of the best greens in the area year round!

I would recommend the following:

Orange County National - both courses.

Champion's Gate

Shingle Creek

Sugarloaf Mountain http://www.themountain.cc/

Eagle Creek

Southern Dunes

Falcon's Fire

Grand Cypress has some great courses, but unless you know someone you won't be able to play in January unless you stay at the resort! Also, that's the week of the PGA Merchandise show, so I would book early if you can.

I wasn't that impressed by Falcon's Fire. The greens were terrible. A course that I liked that was only $38 in the morning on a weekday was Sanctuary Ridge outside of Orlando in Clermont, About a 30 minute drive from where I stayed at the Gaylord Palms.

That is VERY unusual for Falcon's Fire, as they consistently have some of the best greens in the area year round!

Must of been a bad day last week. :rolleyes:

i have played timacuan in lake mary a couple times.

i dont believe its to far away from orlando.

very nice course. well maintained and fun to play.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* | Aldila 2KXV Blue 60-S
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid ‘19 20* | Project X Even Flow Blue 85 Stiff
Callaway Apex ‘19 4-Iron | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 5-9 | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway MackDaddy 4 Chrome 48*, 54*, 60* | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Indianapolis | 33.75"
Callaway ChromeSoft X “MURPH”

I would recommend using golfnow.com to find the best deal on all these courses. Timacuan is a nice course and is the home to Zach Johnson. I've seen him out there on multiple occasions working with Mike Bender.All the other aforementioned courses are nice courses. I wouldn't do Sugarloaf as it is almost an hour outside Orlando, in the middle of nowhere. Its a nice course, but a little new and not grown in. My favorites are Champions Gate[international], North Shore Country Club.

Must of been a bad day last week. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that!

It definitely sounds like you caught them at an off time. I played there the first week of December and the greens were rolling just about perfect, other than a few greens with excess ball marks. (Somewhat common on many Orlando courses during Snowbird season)

I play the course 4-5 times a year (live in Tampa), and have been for 10 plus years. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always found it to be in great shape with a good layout.

The golf now suggestion is probably the best bet. Some really good deals now because rounds are down at most local courses.

My suggestions to look at:

Osprey Ridge - Disney - my favorite in the area and it's going away

Orange County - either course

Championsgate - International

Shingle Creek

Other courses:

Stoneybrook West

Legends - Clermont

Harmony - very good track, not too busy or expensive

St Cloud

Good luck and hitem straight

The golf now suggestion is probably the best bet. Some really good deals now because rounds are down at most local courses.

My suggestions to look at:

Osprey Ridge - Disney - my favorite in the area and it's going away

Orange County - either course

Championsgate - International

Shingle Creek

Other courses:

Stoneybrook West

Legends - Clermont

Harmony - very good track, not too busy or expensive

St Cloud

Good luck and hitem straight

What's happening to Osprey Ridge? Is Disney going to use the property for expansion?

I lived in Orlando for a while and played tournaments down there in '03-'04. I agree that if you are willing to make a bit of a drive, that Harmony is well worth it. It is a great layout, very fun and the greens have always been good, though sometimes they are a bit on the slow side. I also like the Stoneybrook West course, though I haven't been there since '04. It was very good then, and hopefully would be now as well. I was also a big fan of Eastwood back in the day. I can't vouch for the conditioning, though. It wasn't what it once was the last time I was there, but they may have restored its glory since I've been there. Eastwood used to have the best greens in Orlando. And Timacuan is a very nice track, too. The good news is that you will have a large assortment to choose from! Good luck!

The Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines property have been sold to a hotel, I believe 4 Seasons. The Eagle Pines course is already gone and I believe Osprey Ridge has one more year. They are going to be building a new course.

It's a shame because I like Osprey Ridge better than any course in the Orlando area including Bay Hill, Grand Cypress and the others mentioned on this post. I've played pretty much all of the local courses with the exception of Lake Nona and Isleworth.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

it's actually "Country Club of Orlando"....."CCO"......but a lot of folks call it The Orlando Country Club.
it's a beautifully maintained course with a great club house.......the property looks great.......but the course (originally designed by donald ross in 1911) totally lacks any wow factor. it's reasonably challenging, but there's just nothing memorable about it.....nor are there any holes you really look forward to. i've played it many, many times.