New Women's World Golf Rankings. Thoughts?

theinsider

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Michelle Wie fan but there is no way in heck she should be ranked #3. She is a great player and will be a greater player in due time but she has not proven herself enough to be that far up on the list with the likes of some of the other LPGA players.

She will be great but has some growing up to do still and that will come with experience.

My 2 cents worth........

paula should be #1

Paula #1? No way, she has long way to overtake Annika. Unquestionably, Annika is the best female golfer right now.

Fudoh at #4? I know she's from Japan but how did she earn the lofty ranking.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Just remember guys this ranking is not something voted on by a panel, it uses a formula much like the Official World Golf Rankings. Their are no opinions or personal feeling considered.

Not everyone agrees with the men's official world golf rankings either but it is the most unbiased way to go about ranking players. Would anyone guess that David Howell is #15 in the world for men, no, but he record in big events and against strong fields proves it.

I thought this might provoke some reactions like above.

We'll see how they shift as the season plays out...

paula should be #1

Paula #1? No way, she has long way to overtake Annika. Unquestionably, Annika is the best female golfer right now.

Fudoh at #4? I know she's from Japan but how did she earn the lofty ranking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Fudoh

Domination earns you #4.

If she would play on the LPGA Tour (with slightly stronger fields) more she might be even higher.

;)

Very impressive achievements and thanks for the link. I do not hear much about professional golf tournaments in Japan so I was in dark about Fudoh.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

The problem with the rankings is that the minimum divisor is too small. At only 15, if a nobody who hasn't played many events wins a major, the player will jump right to the no. 1 or 2 golfer in the world. Convenient that the divisor happened to be the no. of events that Wie has played over the last two years? The divisor should be closer to the 40 used for men over a 2 year period. Even if you factor that the LPGA has less events, the minimum divisor could be made to be 30, which is only 15 events per year.

When a nobody jumps to the top of the list on the strength of 1 event, the minimum divisor will be changed. But for now, it is good pub for the LPGA to have Wie up there, that's why the min. divisor was kept small.

Just remember guys this ranking is not something voted on by a panel, it uses a formula much like the Official World Golf Rankings. Their are no opinions or personal feeling considered.

Not everyone agrees with the men's official world golf rankings either but it is the most unbiased way to go about ranking players. Would anyone guess that David Howell is #15 in the world for men, no, but he record in big events and against strong fields proves it.

I thought this might provoke some reactions like above.

We'll see how they shift as the season plays out...

This new ranking is totally BULLS_IT - Iben Tinning, the winner of the Ladies European tour in 2005, is ranked 76 on that list ;) :) :D :fool:

This new ranking is totally BULLS_IT - Iben Tinning, the winner of the Ladies European tour in 2005, is ranked 76 on that list ;) :) :D :fool:

It is a 2 year ranking system Claus, Iben didn't exactly have a stellar year in 2004 - only made just over $35,000 on LPGA Tour and only played 4 LET events. GREAT 2005 on LET but against weaker fields. I would think that she would be ranked higher as well but maybe what the tours will find out is that there is still some tweaking left to do on this ranking system.

I would like to see a higher divisor number as well. Maybe not 40 like the men, but 30 sounds good.

Hope to find out the real reasoning for the 15 divisor at some point.

As others have noted, the formula is seriously flawed. In fact, it's a joke. What an absolute embarrassment to publish this garbage. They might just as well have picked out Annika as the obvious first and then thrown the other names down a flight of stairs to determine their ranking. If the divisor is indeed only 15, "skewing" the results is the minimum stupidity employed. And that bit about "weighting" of tournaments is a real snake pit. As others have said, this mess basically "dis es" every other women's tour and the biggest manifestation is unfounded elevation of Michelle Wie -- who can only play in 8 events per year at best and hasn't won anything anywhere in more than 3 years. I don't care if she's only 16. Morgan is only 17. Paula is 19. So what? Either you have a substantive competitive playing record ... or you don't. Is this stupid system grading on potential or reality?

I'm sure the public reasoning for the minimum divisor will be something to the effect that a non-exempt player can only play in 8 events per year on the LPGA Tour. I am sure the real reason for for minimum divisor = 15 is that gets M. Wie near the top of the list, which creates a lot of buzz for women's golf.

Did I miss something or how is Morgan Pressel not on this list? Her 2nd place finish at the 2005 US Women's Open (plus points from any other starts - not sure how many she has had) divided by 15 has to get her at least on the list, doesn't it? I didn't see it down a couple of hundred places, but easily could have missed it.

Your rationale, AF, is probably spot on. However, any ligitimate world ranking system that is the least bit cognizant to say nothing of weighted for "non-exempt players" (who by definition don't meet the minimum qualifications for a tour card) is truely out-to-lunch. Try again, folks - this one is a lemon! or like totally misguided.

Did I miss something or how is Morgan Pressel not on this list? Her 2nd place finish at the 2005 US Women's Open (plus points from any other starts - not sure how many she has had) divided by 15 has to get her at least on the list, doesn't it? I didn't see it down a couple of hundred places, but easily could have missed it.

i checked it out and you need to play in at least 8 qualifying events to qualify for the list.

Dottie Pepper had some interesting comments - she thought that the minimum divisor should at least be 20 because in order to maintain LPGA Tour membership, you need at least 10 events per year. I still think the minimum divisor should be 25 or 30. The Men's rankings has a min. divisor of 40 and you only need 15 events per year to maintain your card.

This was a clear publicity grab to get Wie near the top of the rankings. Even TGC was questioning the rankings.

Hey, Rizzo, that's not nice. If you're going to pour some pepper into the sauce, at least put in enough to make a difference. Morgan's comments about what ... or whom? Morgan is outspokenly honest enough to have commented on anything from the color of the grass and condition of the course to the shorts her caddy is wearing.

I guess I can give the benefit of the doubt the ranking system is new, but it sure is stupid and lacks credibility. Wie at #3 ?, come on, let's be serious. that just killed it right there.

All these rankings show is just how very weak the talent pool is on any other tour outside the LPGA. Fudoh is a very good player....in Japan. But once you get outside the top 20 in Japan, the quality of golf is pathetic. It's almost that way on the LPGA, outside the top 30, what's the scoring average?

Well, it's a nice little publicity stunt to stir up interest, but in 15 minutes, who cares? Annika is #1, the top 5 make for interesting conversation.

Top 25 according to new world rankings vs Golfweek's rankings (started April 2000)

1. Annika Sorenstam / Annika Sorenstam

2. Paula Creamer / Paula Creamer

3. Michelle Wie / Christie Kerr

4. Yuri Fudoh / Juli Inkster

5. Cristie Kerr / Jeong Jang

6. Ai Miyazato / Natalie Gulbis

7. Lorena Ochoa / Gloria Park

8. Jeong Jang / Candie Kung

9. Hee-Won Han / Hee-Won Han

10. Juli Inkster / Catriona Matthews

11. Grace Park / Karrie Webb

12. Karrie Webb / Liselotte Neumann

13. Sakura Yokomine / Jennifer Rosales

14. Shiho Ohyama / Yuri Fudoh

15. Pat Hurst / Lorena Ochoa

16. Rosie Jones / Grace Park

17. Kasumi Fujii / Ai Miyazato

18. Natalie Gulbis / Carin Koch

19. Catriona Matthew / Michele Redman

20. Soo-Yun Kang / Heather Young

21. Ju-Mi Kim / Shi Hyun Ahn

22. Candie Kung / Mi-Hyun Kim

23. Liselotte Neumann / Young Kim

24. Jennifer Rosales / Rosie Jones

25. Carin Koch / Pat Hurst

Golfweek is much more believeable. The rankings in either system certainly don't say much for the LET... or any of the other women's tours. The only Euros included are play full-time on the LPGA. What were these various women's tours thinking when they bought into this attempt to compare apples with oranges and bananas? Even if you look at past Solheim Cup participants -- both sides were primarily LPGA players. At least when the Euros attempt to play a PGA event, the top players have a chance of placing.

Did Ai simply catch lightening in a bottle during Q-school? Aside from all that, it would be fun to have another Se Ri Pak kind of super Asian player to lay waste to the xenophobic mantra -- appearance, language skills, communal/unpronounceable name, and personality.

Theres an article I think on ESPN, (cant find it)

but it compares Wie to Kerr...Kerr has 5 wins, Wie 0, more top 10's in majors and i think more top 10's overall...now if this takes into account the last two years how is Wie POSSIBLY #3!?!?!

thats like putting Tiger at #3 in 1995....before he was full time on tour...

At least the first two are correct...TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE rankings.

I just sent an email to the LPGA telling them what I thought of there ranking system. I beleive what they did to there existing members was a sham, all for the likes of a 16 year old girl who has won nothing. I do truely believe that Wie has talent and will be a big success someday, but to destroy what has been created over the last 4 years on the LPGA is a disgrace. Its a slap in the face to Annika that has won everything and is an outstanding talent NOW!

I think if the LPGA gets enough feedback that this is Crap, maybe they will fix it. Or maybe they just dont care.

What the crap?! How can anyone by ranked #3 who never won anything? They've gotta fix this!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

What the crap?! How can anyone by ranked #3 who never won anything? They've gotta fix this!

I'm a MW fan and wholeheartedly agree with your statement. LPGA's Marketing is the BIG reason behind this. It's not fair for the other LPGA members who have played longer or won more tournaments. I just hope that she can back it up with her game this season.