Tattoo's yes or no

I always thought it was classic to see the looks from members at the clubs I worked at when people who had tattoos were guests and playing or were members at "their" course. They would just stare in this state of dazed confusion or were visibly turned off by it.

I personally don't have any tats. My Dad has many from his service days in the Air Force and has gotten many more since then. So I think they are pretty amazing pieces of art, just not for me.

I also could care less if someone that I played with had them. As long as they are good people, ink is not going to influence the way that I treat them. I have met many of people that are complete d-bags who did not have tats. So I don't think it is really about the ink, it is more about the person and as long as they are cool, all is good.

Bad attitudes are bad attitudes regardless of what the person looks like, dresses like, or what accessories they may have. I like to give people a chance, they may be nothing like what you first thought they were all about, based on those first impressions.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite. I was very prejudiced towards guys with tattoos. I've been around golf courses all my life, and it just wasn't done. Last year, we had a member covered in Tats. I immediately didn't like him, before I even talked to him. Then I got to know him. One of the nicest guys ever, and a great father. Now one of my favorite members. Prejudice is just plain silly, for any reason. I think its mostly just fear of what we are ignorant about.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I'll bite. I was very prejudiced towards guys with tattoos. I've been around golf courses all my life, and it just wasn't done. Last year, we had a member covered in Tats. I immediately didn't like him, before I even talked to him. Then I got to know him. One of the nicest guys ever, and a great father. Now one of my favorite members. Prejudice is just plain silly, for any reason. I think its mostly just fear of what we are ignorant about.

Kevin

I think that is the best thing that has been said all day... :friends:

First of all, I will address many things at once. I do know a anesthetist who has a significant amount of tattoos and is widely respected in his field. In addition, I would like to point out the fact that I personally would prefer a tattooed surgeon who is clean as a whistle, than many of the coked up, or prescription ridden, sleep deprived surgeons out there.

The main reason I began the post was by no means for self validation. I am very aware of who I am, and we are on a golf forum to talk to people with similar interests. In the same regards, I was questioning the idea of other golfers with tattoos in hopes of finding others like me. I don't often see many people on the courses with any visible tattoos. Also, I was raising the topic, because if there are people that truly don't like tattoos on the course, I can understand their reasoning better, and not simply assume they are ignorant, and thus attempt to bridge the differences with them so I can play better golf with them.

I would like to thank those people who offered constructive comments, and for anyone that found it necessary to take the post where it wasn't originally intended, myself included, I apologize. I will however, show the tats later for those reminding me of how worthless this post is without pictures! :)

Also, the post works the best when we ask each other questions, not just judge each other...I have to remind myself of this sometimes too....off to England...where I am supposedly from!

First of all, I will address many things at once. I do know a anesthetist who has a significant amount of tattoos and is widely respected in his field. In addition, I would like to point out the fact that I personally would prefer a tattooed surgeon who is clean as a whistle, than many of the coked up, or prescription ridden, sleep deprived surgeons out there.

The main reason I began the post was by no means for self validation. I am very aware of who I am, and we are on a golf forum to talk to people with similar interests. In the same regards, I was questioning the idea of other golfers with tattoos in hopes of finding others like me. I don't often see many people on the courses with any visible tattoos. Also, I was raising the topic, because if there are people that truly don't like tattoos on the course, I can understand their reasoning better, and not simply assume they are ignorant, and thus attempt to bridge the differences with them so I can play better golf with them.

I would like to thank those people who offered constructive comments, and for anyone that found it necessary to take the post where it wasn't originally intended, myself included, I apologize. I will however, show the tats later for those reminding me of how worthless this post is without pictures! :)

Also, the post works the best when we ask each other questions, not just judge each other...I have to remind myself of this sometimes too....off to England...where I am supposedly from!

haha, i have no idea why i thought you were from England. sorry about that.

so, redford? where is that?

This has been fun to listen to. One of the reasons my daughter wanted a tatoo was because she felt the need to rebel on some level. We are a close family but everyone needs to assert their independence once in a while and the easiest and most obvious ways to do that is with some form of free expression(usually related to appearance) which says "I am doing it my way and differently from you". The reason I wanted to share the experience with my daughter was because I wanted to legitimize her desire for free expression, rebel a little on my own against my generation, and have her not feel that free expression is forbidden fruit. I have a tatoo but I don't like "sleeves" because they are too much in your face but I would not judge anyone one way or the other because they have them. Rather, I prefer to take a close look and admire the art and talk to the person about it(how long did it take etc) and I would rather have a surgeon(and I have had eleven operations on knees, backs etc) with a sleeve who gives me time than one who runs out of the office to take a call from his Bentley dealer.

The comment about tatoos and racism was a bit too volatile but I think the point was to equate them on the basis of negative snap judgements. Nothing good can possibly come from that. As a parent I have always encouraged free expression, learning for learning's sake and not just for a grade(of course grades are important), and the only forbidden fruit is rudeness and driving under the influence or driving with someone under the influence.

I would be happy to show mine but I haven't a friggin clue how to upload photos onto a computer.

I agree that prejudice is just plain silly. I certainly am not against anyone having tattoos.

I am 56 years old and play music with a 34 year old tenor sax player with full sleeves. He's a great guy.

Now, having said all that, the impression I get from people who have large, visible tattoos is that they are drawing attention to themselves. That makes an negative impression on me in general. I'm not being judgmental so much as that's just the way it makes me feel. I have pretty much the same attitude toward the Ryan Moore mode of dress.

To me, there's a difference between being stylish and going way out there to attract attention. Having a tatoo and having huge tattoos is the same kind of distinction to me. Again, please note, I don't think you are a bad or lesser person for it, but it honestly makes a bad impression on me.

By the way, I definitely agree with the fellow who is tired of his friends being prejudiced against athletes in general and golfers in particular. I have a lot of musician/artist/bohemian friends who are interesting and wonderful people, but sometimes a bit narrow-minded. When I mention golf, they immediately envision exclusive segregated clubs, extravagant lifestyles and out of shape fatcats riding carts while wearing loud outfits.

This is what I have and I love to see the first reaction to it. Then I love to see the look on their face after I smash a power fade 3 bills and stick a 52* pin tight. LOL

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*
Fairway Metal Titleist TSi2 

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

Irons Fourteen TC-770 4-PW 
Wedges Vokey SM9 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter Bettinardi iNOVAi 6.0

Ive got a full sleeve and my chest done as well, and I tend to keep them covered up. I just became a memebr at a country club and honestly, Im kinda nervous about exposing them mostly due to the fact that the majority of the members are old timers, but as I type this, I realize that making that assumption is the same as them making assumptions about me and my tattoos. Hmm. I used to have half inch gauges in as well but took them out a year ago, and no one ever said anything about them. I think I'll play in a short sleeve shirt tomorrow.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Tattoo's :D My baby picture.

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Anybody notice when she was putting? Annika Sörenstam has a tattoo on her ankle.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

• 3 weeks later...

Only bad tattoos bother me because I don't like looking at poorly executed art, especially on skin. My best friend has a really nice half sleeve. I drew a part of it and collaborated with the artist to create the rest of it. I was glad I could go through that and see the end result but not have it on my own skin.

I dont want a tattoo of my own though, because my skin is perfect and look good in it.

• 4 months later...

Was going to start a thread about what it'd be like if tour players had tattoo's but then searched and found this.

I myself get some funny looks on the course cause of tattoo's. I have a forearm tattoo of a cross that is obviously visible, a pretty decent sized one on my right calf, and one on my right bicep.

Now when I'm just playing, I have no problem wearing shorts with my leg tat visible. However, when I play in tournaments, I'll always wear pants for some reason, even in warm weather. I don't know why considering I have 2 others visible so what would the deal be on the 3rd, just habit I guess.

I think tats are widely accepted. I am 23 now and am tat'd everywhere hands,neck,head legs, everywhere and I never get any negative comments from people. I have played at fancy country clubs and get a couple stares but I am a very polite person so people after they talk to me don't make anything of it. Only time I got crap from my tats are when I was in high school from the teachers I was the only freshmen with my arms sleeved LOL and the only freshmen with a BMW so the teachers were hate'n. But they didn't know I worked when I wasn't in school at a local hockey rink to pay for all my toys.

I will tell you young guys a good tatoo story. I am 57, President of a substantial company, well to do, and while I am a fasionable dresser I do dress age appropriately. I am also fit. I live in CT and I belong to a golf club which is over 100 hundred years old and fairly prestigious. I just tell you all this to set the scene.

Last summer, on our family vacation in August, my 18 year old daughter asked my wife what the chances would be of her getting a tatoo. My wife told her 2 in 10 but ask your father. So, my daughter asks me what I think of her getting a tatoo(this is at dinner with the entire family) and I say "great idea, I'll do it with you". Everyone looked at me like I was nuts and my daughter asked me if I was serious. I thought about it again and said, sure, it'll be fun and a memory you will have forever.

So, we did some research in order to find a reputable person in New York City and lo and behold we had it done together. It was a fabulous bonding experience and a memory my daughter will have forever.

I got two very cool letters(one for each kid) on my deltoid so not visisble unless I want them to be.

My friends think I am crazy but everyone loves the story and .....

I love my tatoos.

I told my wife I was going to have the dog tatooed on my other arm but she did not think that was a very good idea.

Thanks for sharing what I read as a very contemporary bonding process. :clapping: I commend you as a dad.

To an extent I can identify and share the following. I am almost 60, President of a national company I founded and all our clients are medium to Fortune 100. At times I feel a unique compared to those surrounding me at my club and board room meetings because I go from starched shirts and suites to Bobby Jones golf to dirty ole jeans and leather. Although I have no tats, I understand and relate to independent thinkers and have some maverick in me that lead me into adventures that others just don't fathom, so I never talk about my personal life at work. Instead of tats I've alway owned a Harley, even before it was fashionable.

To me owning a Harley is no big deal, it's that I often ride with some unique diehard guys that wear serious colors with not pretty histories. These guys are not Harley yuppies. Don’t ask me what I get from them, except to say I've always been intrigued by their lifestyle and sense of camaraderie at any cost; reminds me of SOG. Guess it’s partly that uniqueness that fascinates my TX sorority sister wife, and our friends.

Oddly enough in a discussion with my wife the other evening the subject of tattoos came up. I told her there’s something about women with tats. Thankfully my wife understands; so much so she smiled and quickly offered to get one or two small ones if I choose to do it. I am considering.

Anyways, more important to the OP topic and something you might be familiar with is when considering visible tattoos make sure your employer doesn't frown upon them. I know many that don't care if NOT visible; but won't promote someone with visible tats or piercings. For that reason some of the guys I know always wear long sleeves to work.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Ive since started wearing short sleeved shirts when I play at my CC and though I ususally get some crooked glances, everyone has been very cool. Im probably one of the youngest members and definately the only one with this many tattoos.

I'll second the comment that if you get a tattoo, PLEASE spend the time to get some good quality art. I'll post up pics later on, Ive still got about 20 hours of color to go on my left arm.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I was playing TPC Deere run it was spring time. So I had a wind breaker on, well long story short when I took off my windbreaker. The other 2 some my buddy and I were playing with glance at me and just kept staring. I have a spider web on my left elbow. You would have thought these guys mothers just died. After about 3 holes like this the one guy his name was Burt, He said hey come ride with me up to our balls as our balls were on the same side of the fairway or so I thought thats what he wanted.. He just kept asking me about my tattoo asking me y I got it, I told him it was just something I liked,as I did not feel like getting into it with this guy. He and him buddy could not stop looking all day..

I also went to a few cc and they all stare its just part of life I guess. So dont let it bother u just tell them it added 25 yrds to your drive ever since you started getting tattoo's. There will be a shi@load of middle aged men with skulls and roses lol......

I hear where you guys are coming from. I have most of my upper chest tattooed and both of my upper arms. Yet, I still dress nice and have proper etiquette. Most are floored when they see them, and say that they would have never thought I would have tattoos. I'm addicted to them, and I will be getting another soon.

As long as you conduct yourself right, and firmly believe in what you have tattooed, then I have no problems. Tattoos can mean a lot to some people.

Fantastic thread.

Tattoos are accepted now, especially for the under 30 crowd, and probably for the under 40 crowd too. It used to be you were a really "rebel" to get one, now its almost more rebelious to NOT get one if you are a college kid... The guy I'm standing next to in my avatar said that. Something about standing in line at the grocery store and having a housewife tell him how cool his tats were and showing him hers.....

l_4589fed91396716b0d02e2e28605d4e9.jpg

I don't think I would get one, I would have to shave even my arms for people to see them anyway...... :tongue:

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I'm not a fan of tattoos. but the only time they really bug me is when guys wear tank tops to the golf course to try and show off their tattoos.

Yesterday at the golf store, I saw one guy with giant extra bold hindi leters tattooed on one side of his face and giant japanese letters tattooed on the other side, both right on the cheek bones for maximum visibility. He looked like a twit... and I can't imagine facial tattoos looking any better when he gets older.

• 5 years later...

[quote name='Roberta131' timestamp='1233242453' post='1455128']
I will tell you young guys a good tatoo story. I am 57, President of a substantial company, well to do, and while I am a fasionable dresser I do dress age appropriately. I am also fit. I live in CT and I belong to a golf club which is over 100 hundred years old and fairly prestigious. I just tell you all this to set the scene.
Last summer, on our family vacation in August, my 18 year old daughter asked my wife what the chances would be of her getting a tatoo. My wife told her 2 in 10 but ask your father. So, my daughter asks me what I think of her getting a tatoo(this is at dinner with the entire family) and I say "great idea, I'll do it with you". Everyone looked at me like I was nuts and my daughter asked me if I was serious. I thought about it again and said, sure, it'll be fun and a memory you will have forever.
So, we did some research in order to find a reputable person in New York City and lo and behold we had it done together. It was a fabulous bonding experience and a memory my daughter will have forever.
I got two very cool letters(one for each kid) on my deltoid so not visisble unless I want them to be.
My friends think I am crazy but everyone loves the story and .....
I love my tatoos.
I told my wife I was going to have the dog tatooed on my other arm but she did not think that was a very good idea.
[/quote]

I think this is one cool story! I have one on my back left shoulder and honestly forget about it most of the time. I appreciate your cander about the situation. I bet you are a helluva person to know! Thanks!!