LPGA moves Safeway International to Papago

ckguy914

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/articl...0090205-1877460

Are you serious?!

I hope the greens are in better condition now because when I played there about a month ago they were total crap. And I certainly was not impressed with the renovations considering how much money they spent.

How much more $$$ are they gonna need to condition it to LPGA standard?

And I guess they're gonna finish the practice area prior to it.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?!

I hope the greens are in better condition now because when I played there about a month ago they were total crap. And I certainly was not impressed with the renovations considering how much money they spent.

How much more $$ are they gonna need to condition it to LPGA standard?

I suppose they will be changing clothes in their courtesy cars out in the parking lot...

CK - I would be interested in a detailed review of your experience at the new Papago. Please share with us what you did/did not like. THANKS!

Are you serious?!

How much more $$ are they gonna need to condition it to LPGA standard?

I suppose they will be changing clothes in their courtesy cars out in the parking lot...

CK - I would be interested in a detailed review of your experience at the new Papago. Please share with us what you did/did not like. THANKS!

This was a couple of months ago.

The rebuilt tee boxes were great and flat, fairways were in perfect condition, and all the rebuilt bunkers actually have nice sands in them. Major hole changes such as the first green moved back with water in play on right, and 9th hole the water moved back and actually in play now are welcoming.

However, outside of that, much of it was the same Papago and not all that impressive. Didn't seem like they did anything to the roughs at all, and outside of the rough were the same ol dirt crap. Not like a clear distinction of desert courses between the rough and the natural desert environment, just bad rough with dirt and rocks like before, made a big dent on my sand wedge. Alot of trees were removed or taken out by the big storm last year, leaving behind several leaf-less trees, tiny newly planted ones, and big stomps when they cut the trees down.

Just not visually pleasing at all to me.

At the time, the greens were half dead and had alot of sand, they could have recovered by now.

I can't believe they're charging $109 right now on Golfnow and still using the gas powered carts they had from before.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

I, too, played there about a month ago and the greens are definitely not ready to hold an AGA amateur much less an LPGA event. They are not overseeded but maybe they will be healthier by the end of March. They were a goldish color and rock hard - like putting on burnt out summer greens - bumpy too. This move really surprised me because the new features, especially the greens, have not taken yet. I do like some of the renovations though. I play there 10-12 times a year and it does look better IMO but for the money not as good as it could have been. There is NO CLUBHOUSE!!!! How do you have a professional event without a clubhouse, restaurant, etc. I was upset with this and it was a Wednesday morning fun round. Interesting move. The OP is correct in that the course is pretty much the same but the tees and fairways were really nice. I like the fewer trees too. It felt different, but I would never have guessed that it would hold an event like this - especially so soon after renovating it.

I shot 78 from the 6800 tees with 4 doubles - I parred the bag nine. The girls should go low.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

I understand they may be hardpressed to find a new course with losing the sponsor and Superstition Moutain CC, but I agree its way to soon to hold an event like this at Papago. Sounds like they will be using portable trailers as a clubhouse etc, not to mention the course especially the greens are going to need time to mature and be aerated a few times. There are so many other choices for courses they could have gone with out here for at least another year or two. Enough to give Papago the chance to mature and build some appropriate facilites.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I played the back nine of Papago early every Saturday morning for 5 years before moving. I paid something like $15 to play 9 holes. Wonder what is it now? I bet the regulars I played with are at Encanto now.

I'd love to see some pictures. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on TV regardless of the condition right now.

Unbelievable. I was just there last weekend and I do not see how they are going to pull this off. It will be interesting seeing how professionals play on a muni track that is nowhere near tournament ready. Although it may be a good chance to get up close and personal with our LPGA favorites. I know I have already picked out Paula's engagement ring. I just hope she accepts my proposal. :lol:

I just heard about this today and I was shocked. I play out there regularly and the course is growing on me but I agree with most posters here that it will be tough to get the greens in shape for the tournament.

The big contention among us are the facilities. The trailer for the pro shop is basically a disgrace. There are no permanent bathrooms on the course, just 2 large porta potties after 11 and the side of 6(same spot). They are trying to get a snack shack / bathrooms built near the porta potties but that will be it. The practice putting green is a joke. They will have a cart barn built by then! Woohoo!

If the greens are in any shape I think the ladies will go very low as the course is very manageable from the yardage they will play. It is playing very hard and fast with a lot of room to hit the driver. I hope it is shown on the golf channel as it will interesting to see what the course will look like on tv. May have to go out one afternoon just to see.

I was also shocked to hear it moved there, solely because of the greens. I played two weeks ago or so and the greens were yellow...It was a mess on that surface. I would never have guessed it would be in contention for any tournament this year. It is supposed to be in great shape come next year though. It'll be interesting to see how/if they can fix those greens so fast. Also, they will need to clean up some of that desert too. The fairways and teeboxes were in good shape though as some posters above said.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to completely destroy and reputation the AGA was trying to restore to Papago. There are so many courses that could hold an LPGA event at any time around here and Papago is certainly not it. I played there last week and it seems as though it is a couple years from being ready to be put on the main stage. It is all rock hard, bunkers are way too soft and greens are bad at best. No clubhouse, locker rooms or public facilities of any kind that are ready to go. The range is worthless. I just can't understand why they would do this at this time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...