My Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan

pitbull808

a future collectible
I guess it was easily over ten years ago when I first got into John Byron putters. A shop that I still frequent often had a very large collection of them. I was already quite the putter ho and the owner knew that it wouldn't take much to get me to buy something. He showed me a few of the Byrons and I ended up leaving with one. It was the start of quite a John Byron buying spree. Today I still have most of my JB's and now Byron Morgans. I've bought and sold many putters through the years but there are two that I still regret selling. One an original 8802, the other a JB02. Byrons take on the 8802.

Years ago I started writing to Byron to learn about the background on some of my John Byron putters. He was always very nice and informative in his responses which probably was the reason I never sold another JB putter after the JB02 which was actually my 2nd JB putter purchased. During my numerous emails with him, after finding out he didn't have any spare JB02's I kept asking if he'd ever do a run of Byron Morgan 8802 style putters. Unfortunately the answer was always the same..."sorry not at this time". That didn't stop me from asking though. Every once in a while, I'd send off another "hope all is well..by the way..any chance of a JB02??" :pardon: Well last year, my wish was granted. Byron wrote to me telling me that he was going to attempt another true blade putter and when it was completed, he'd be sure to let me know. :clapping: You can't imagine the smile I had on my face after reading that email. Bryon gave me very little information on this future putter other then he knew I'd like it. When Steve started posting teaser pics of the Designed by Captain Morgan, I'd quickly be sending emails to Byron telling him my thoughts on the putter and of course my "I can't wait to see it in person!".

Finally the other day, I received a note in my mailbox telling me I had received a package. Wouldn't you know it was a Saturday evening and I'd have to wait till Monday to get to the post office! Talk about frustration, anxiety and excitement. It was if I was 5 years old again putting out cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. On Monday after reporting for work...an hour into it and my excitement couldn't be contained any longer. I took off for the rest of the day and headed to the post office. After waiting in a short line to get my package, scaring the clerk when I pulled out my knife at the counter to cut open the box :cheesy: and flying foam peanuts everywhere...to dig out my new putter. Talk about kid on Christmas Day! :crazy: I swear the clerk and anyone else within sight must have thought I was nuts. I had to contain myself from letting out a !@#$%%^ YAHHHHH! :bb:

On first glance the DBCM is just spectacular looking. The finish is awesome looking but for a true blade lover, the things that make me at least go OOOOOOH are way the whole piece is put together. The curvature of the hosel as it meets the head. The thickness of the flange and how it rises into the face. The curvature of the flange from toe to heel. A rather simple looking progression but something that is so unique to a 8802 or Designed by Cleveland head. It's so different from the square look of a Mac IMG 5. I think it's a sexy look...if a putter can be sexy. The simple long curving flat sided arc that is so eye appealing. I then proceeded to compare it to my 8802's, Napa, BB3, SB3, Tess, Bimini, and a number of other blades I have to attempt to figure out how Byron hid the added headweight. Although I have a number of blades, a 345gram headweights are not the norm. I noticed the face is ever so slightly thicker from sole to topline then in the other blade putters. The weight seems added more to the middle to toe of the blade and tapers towards the heel. Perfect to keep the look the same from the top without the extra thick topline or long flange. Byron really did an excellent job in the design to give it some heft yet keep the looks.

Although I love trying the new fangled stuff with high MOI's, grooves, interchangeable weights..I'll never stop collecting a putter(s) that are destined to be classic's. This Designed by Captain Morgan I feel will definitely be a classic and collectible.

Sorry for the long read...but I've been a fan of Byron's for quite a long time. He's been extremely nice to me throughout the years I've "known" him and I wish him all the success in the world.

Here are my many pics of my Byron Morgan, Designed by Captain Morgan #1 of 25 putter. :drinks:

SBS001.jpg
SBS002.jpg
SBS003.jpg
SBS004.jpg
SBS005.jpg
SBS006.jpg
SBS008.jpg
SBS009.jpg
SBS010.jpg
SBS011.jpg
SBS012.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice writeup, Reid. And fantastic putter by Byron Morgan. Hopefully we'll see some of these new putters on the south side, but in the meantime, you've provided some fantastic pictures to look over. I look forward to reading your review: either on this putter or the additional one you'll order so you can keep one on pristine condition. ;)

:hi:

That is one beautiful looking blade. I've still got my old Walter Hagen Gentle Ben by Crenshaw which I'll never sell. Like you say there is just something about a true blade putter...

Thank you. I still have a Walter Hagen and a Walter Hagen Gentle Ben. :D I don't think anyone can have enough blades!

Nice writeup, Reid. And fantastic putter by Byron Morgan. Hopefully we'll see some of these new putters on the south side, but in the meantime, you've provided some fantastic pictures to look over. I look forward to reading your review: either on this putter or the additional one you'll order so you can keep one on pristine condition. ;)

Thanks George. I've so far only had the guts to use it on a mat. Actually several mats as I've toted this putter to two golf shops to show other people. LOL..as evidenced by the green dust on the face of the putter and specs on the sole. Byron told me to go ahead and use it because the finish is durable...just don't attempt any shots from a sandtrap! :D

Simply beautiful! Enjoy that carpet queen!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

What a great write up ,story,pictures.. Thanks Reid.. Byron will love that!

Thanks Steve. Thanks for keeping me on the edge of my seat with the teaser pics as well! Byron kept it pretty much a mystery regarding the final product other then I'd like it. He wasn't kidding!

Reid, that putter is beautiful. I have always been a fan of the classic blades and have 2 IMG5's, an original Arnold Palmer and one that David Mills made for me 3 years ago, there may be a couple more around the house.

Great collection Russ. I've got the IMG 5 w/ XXX's and a few Arnold Palmer's....just not the real collectible Wilson AP. One day, I always say. :)

No better place than Reid's collection for the 01 of 25 DBCM!!!

Thanks Drew and thanks everyone else. If you're on the fence on this putter...don't think too hard on it. It's really a sweet design and looks 10x better in person. :yes:

Game it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheesy: You saw and rolled it today. I keep telling myself to game it...heck..Byron told me to game it. I'm still in the stare at it, ooh and ahh over it stage. :pardon:

Reid as everyone has said what a truley beautifull putter you have there, and a great story to go with it. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us :drinks:

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

One of the most beautiful putters I've ever seen :heart: . I want one....NOW! I share your excitement. I was doing some lawnwork today and the USPS truck pulled up and he grabbed the infamous putter delivery box and I gave the guy a huge hug and he also thought I was insane! :crazy: I ran into the house, but quickly back out to turn off my lawnmower, which trenched my yard I might add, and then back in again. I ripped into the box like a wild man. Out came a beautiful TP Mills. Not quite the spectacle that yours was, but still amazing I might add!

Thanks for the pictures! Also that was a great write up. Upon first glance I ignored it because of the lengthiness and skipped straight to pics but had to go back and read because of all the comments. I'm drooling now.

:man_in_love:

That thing is absolutely beautiful!! Maybe a couple more pics that pic the colors on the finish up a little better?

I'm not sure I'd game this one.. for a while at least.. then I'd probably let temptation get the best of me..

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I just love the appearance of a great blade and Byron has certainly made a terrific blade. Will this blade be a classic, gosh I hope so. Byron is a terrific designer/maker of putters and the DBCM is as pure of a putter as they come. If I could only putt with a true blade I would buy one of these. However, I know I cannot and I game all my putters. Great putter and even better post Reid. Thanks for sharing your putter and your story!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 6 months later...

I just got the DH89 version and can't wait to game it. Got to be sent to Z-man for some adjustments first though. The think in beautiful!

Z-man,
pm me or e-mail me on the design by, custom stuff. After having one mystic though, not sure about a mystic or black oxide DH89. A captain DH89 in Black Oxide with some custom work and gold paint fill would be awesome. :-)

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x