2 Iron v. Hybrid v. 5 Wood

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said i was never goinng to go from the 2 iron...

That said when Golf Galaxy was selling all their used clubs for so cheap i just couldn't resist at least trying the 18* cobra hybrid they had...

It goes a bit further than my other two irons, mp-32, titleist forged cavity back, mp14 2 iron etc. , It goes straight, and higher, honestly it is so easy to hit too,

I think there is a reason a lot of tour pros and even more NCAA players are carrying them, I still love my two iron, but the ease of hitting the two hybrid is just hard to pass up

I like a 5 wood cut a little shorter, with a heavier weight shaft than standard.

I also know others who love smaller headed hybrids.

It depends on what you want to do with the club you have in mind- high, low, mid, distance, workability, etc.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

I never liked 5 woods before, but had issues with being consistent with the lower lofted hybrids too. Sometimes great, sometimes not. Got the Adams Speedline Hy/Fw 5 wood last week and it's been great so far. Shaft may be a little light, but the head is great. I found it very user friendly, the head shape gave me more confidence as well, it just sits very nice behind the ball.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I used to have a 2-iron, which I hit really well. Then bought into the hybrid thing and got one of those. I hit it okay for the most part, but it could sometimes get left on me and I hit it high, which for the most part I don't mind, but a lot of my golf gets played at links courses and hitting it high in a strong wind is not such a good idea. Now have a 2-iron again and I feel in much more control of it than I do with a hybrid or fairway wood.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have a 17* 909H and a 18.5* 906F4. If I need workability and distance on a bending dogleg or out of a fairway bunker, it's the 5w. Everything else seems to fit the hybrid better.

SIM 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+, 45"
PXG Gen 2 0341X 15*, Graphite Design AD-DI 8X, 43"
PXG Gen 2 0317X 22*, Accra TZx M5, 40"

HMB 4i (22*) Modus 125X (ZX7 4i & 5i for summer)
MP20 5-P, Modus 130X
T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125
Toulon San Diego 33.5"
Srixon XV, or Tour BX/S 

Occasionally throw in a DI over the hybrid, 3i HMB (18*) KBS Proto 85X

2 iron all the way, i know i am behind the times here, but i hit it so consitently, and the yardage fits perfect tee 250, f/w 230 and my 3 wood is about 275, i would love to try a 17 909h but im afraid it will just be another 3 wood in my bag and wont get alot of play, plus my irons are the strength of my game....i just cant bring myself to take the 2 iron out of the bag, plus the workability off the tee is perfect for those short par 4's

I can hit a 2-iron really well, but I prefer the trajectory and stopping power I get from a hybrid better. Most days there is nothing in my bag between 3iron and 3wood, but on the other days I switch the wedges up and add a hybrid.

Srixon ZX5 - Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 9* driver
Srixon H45 - Kuro Kage Black 16*, 19* hybrids
Bridgestone J15 CB - AMT / DG Pro 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58
Odyssey O-Works 1Ws / Rife Cayman (rotates)
Srixon Z-Star

As I got closer to the big 5-0 and practiced less, I dropped the 2 iron for a 5 wood. A couple of years ago I decided to experiment with a Sonartec MD 19* hybrid and it has been in my bag ever since. It is long and straight off the tee on those short, tight par 4s and makes it possible to reach some par 5s in two. The downside is even though it is a hybrid it doesn't come in as high and soft as other hybrids, but for me it fills the gap between my 3-wood and my 22* hybrid.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
Sonartec GS Tour 15*
Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

Still a long iron man here. I carry either a 1 or a 2 iron depending upon the conditions and get good use out of them on my staple diet of courses; either from the tee or for long approaches. I can still hit them pretty high and am confident at shaping shots and flighting the ball as I need to - unlike with a hybrid, which I invariably struggle to get comfortable with despite trying more than a few in my time.

A 4 or 5 wood would be an option, and there's no doubt that if I were whisked away to a life of playing on 7400 yard courses with lots of approaches that need to come in high and soft over hazards and from 230 yards or so, I'd be into the tour van faster than you can say 'knock me a 5 wood up please lads.' The fact is, on the heathland courses I play most of my golf on, a long iron is a useful extra option to have from the tee and still viable for long approaches into the greens for the most part.

It's certainly a lot harder to hit a real high floater with them since the wound balls went away, but for the time being a 5 wood isn't really needed and a hybrid, for me, is a poor solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm also a firm believer in the long iron as a practice tool. If you can go out and stripe the best part of 100 balls with a 1 or 2 iron out on the practice ground, the rest of them are a relative doddle afterwards.

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, Titleist 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokeys, an Eye 2 L wedge and an Anser 2

+1 for 2 iron

- better trajectory for me (high ball high spin player)

- more control

- great in windy conditions

- was used to 2 iron as trusty club eg off tee for

tight par 4

dogleg par 4

short par 4

- suits my set composition

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ghost Tour Daytona 12 35´´[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SM 5 58°/8 PX 6.5 +1´´ 1° up
SM 5 52°/8 PX 6.5 +0.75´´ 1° strong 1°up
712 MB (3-PW) PX 7.0 +0.5´´ 2° strong 1° up[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]910 H 17° (A1) Speeder 904 X 40.25´´
913 FD 13.5° (D1) Diamana White D+ 82 X 43´´
910 D3 8.5° (D1) Pro Launch Red X 45´´[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist stand bag ultra lightweight, Titleist glooves, FootJoy shoes[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lamkin Crossline Midsize for irons / wedges and Standard 58 for hybrid / woods[/font][/size]

I use a 17degree hybrid mainly since mt 5wood was a not cutting it and i got a great deal on some macgregor hybrids. But I'd have gotten another 5wood if i need more overal distance from the fairway. I'm hardly ever in a spot were I'm more than 230 yards out and still couldn't hit a 3 wood which i couldn't hit past 250 ever If i tried. Even then I normally can hit my 5iron 190 so if I'm no going for a lay up shot a 2 hybrid gives me a chance to get good distance from many more lies than a 5wood could and hitting a 2 iron would be outside of reason if i want any type of consistant results.

Others need to hit different yardage gaps if they play a strong 3 wood or often go fo a green in 2 on long pair 5s. A 2 hybrid can do it but sometimes is too easy to hook for better players. I like it better because instead of my having to hit a perfect iron to get there i can swing easy with it without as much worry about the lie affecting the height of the ball.

so 5wood if you need the overall distance and tend to be in the fairway most of the time, a hybrid if you want versitility and a 2 iron if you got the skills for it and want the extra control it provides

I've had no luck at all with hybrids. I decided to go with a 2i for a little while. I have a 5W but hit it ridiculously high and all over the place. My plan is to use the 2i for a while, then try a hybrid again.

i've said it enough times... but nowadays there's no need to 'give up' whichever suits you - ie if you like a hybrid, fair enough.... but for those like me (maybe who like hitting long irons and get mentally screwed up by the neither one thing [fairway wood] or the other [iron] of hybrids), well, we also do not have to go that full hybrid route either.

Google etc and look at pics of Epon 901 'irons' or Mizuno Fli-hi (not the clk hybrid type), Tourstage amnd others (imagine a Ping Rapture 2 iron without absurd amounts of offset) and you'll get the picture. Almost (as in any difference is negligible) the same amount of forgiveness as a hybrid and the higher ball flight (not excessively so) yet still recognizably an 'iron'.

Lovely.

No more stress. Fit same shaft as your 4 iron etc and you're done.

Coops

If I can't hit a 3 or 4 iron consistently, what chance did I ever had with a 2?

Also, I think my swing is not good enough to handle the lower loft hybrids, as, I have a TM Burner 19* that's just sitting in my bedroom, begging to be gamed.

I guess I do better with the woods, as I need the added forgiveness and the head's "mass" to be able to get a good launch off the fairway.

Bottom line should be to keep in the bag whatever works the best for you, the player...

I have a driver, 16deg hybrid, 3iron... i don't carry a 3wood, but my length with the 16deg is bout 250 off the tee... so i feel im not losing much by not carrying a 3 wood. A hybrid will go little shorter but typically give you more control. i would go with what fits the courses you normally play. PGA Tour Pros will carry more then 14 clubs during practice rounds and then select the 14 they fell is the right fit for the course conditions that week. hope that gives some insight of some kind.

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

I have all three and currently bagging the 5 wood. Seems to be the best of all worlds - same distance as a 2 iron but lands with butterfly legs. The hybrid is somewhere in between - little less distance and flatter trajectory.

Srixon Z585 4 & 5
Srixon Z 785 6 - P
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Cobra LTD 9.5
Cobra BioCell 3w
Titleist 909 5w
Tommy Armour No.3 Putter
Snell MTB-X