Serge Deschamps Putter Review

Lord Thomas

The long awaited first review!
Let me begin this review by again thanking Serge Deschamps, he has a tremendous attention to detail and as a result the putter came out looking amazing. I asked for the putter at 360g, and when the putter was done being finished, it weighed in at exactly 360g, which I found impressive.

When the box arrived, even the way it was packaged showed the attention to detail. Serge included a John Daly headcover, wrapped the entire putter in bubble wrap (and who doesn’t like bubble wrap ), and then filled the box with packing peanuts. I’ve bought two or three golf clubs before, and it was by far the most secure and thorough packaging job I have received.

The putter only arrived yesterday, so I’ve only gotten the chance to putt with it on my carpet, but I’ll put up an initial review anyway. On Saturday I head to Virginia for Spring Break, and I’ll post a much more detailed review when I return.

Specifications:

Loft: 2.5*
Lie: 72*
Length: 33”
Weight: 360g
Shaft location: center
Balance: face balanced
Grip: Winn Excel AVS Medalist

Pictures:
I apologize for the mediocre pictures, I'm not the best photographer, but when I post a more detailed review after more extensive testing I'll put up some much better pictures.....the pictures really don't do this beauty justice.

Picture of the top of the putter from slightly behind the shaft:
DSCN4883.jpg

The address position:
DSCN4882.jpg

The back of the putter:
DSCN4880.jpg

The face of the putter:
DSCN4876.jpg

Looks:
When I took the headcover off I thought that she was too pretty to hit a putt with. The overall look is very clean, with no sight lines or sight dots, and the only markings being my initials on the face, and the S (Maple Leaf) D logo on the back. At address the putter looks very crisp with definite lines that make it really easy to line up. The milling marks are very fine on the face, and while you can see them, the face feels very smooth. She's gorgeous!

Feel:
Brass is inherently softer than aluminum or stainless steel (the metals of my other putters), so that requires a slightly more ‘aggressive’ stroke than my current putter, but I find the feedback to be excellent. After the ball has gotten a few inches off the clubface you can tell whether you put a good roll on the ball or not. The adjective to best describe the feel off the clubface is ‘crisp’; when the ball impacts the clubface you can really feel it, and it feels very solid without feeling harsh.

Performance:
Keeping in mind that I’ve only hit putts of 10 feet and less, the putter puts a really nice, tight roll on the ball, and based on my early tests with it, it will have a spot in the varsity bag. I have had success with center shafted putters in general due to my pendulum stroke, and this putter is no exception.

Overall:
Not only is Serge excellent to work with, but the putter turned out exactly as I wanted, and while this is still early in the testing stage, the putter seems to be working flawlessly. I was trying to think of room for improvement for this putter, and I’m struggling to think of anything. She sets up beautifully to my eye, and puts a tremendous roll on the ball. I can’t wait to see how she does on a real green!

-Thomas

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Lord Thomas. I look forward to your review (but not as much as I'm looking forward to getting my own putter!). :aggressive: Very cool to hear/read that Serge's attention to detail continues with his shipping. Bubble wrap AND peanuts? My daughter's going to enjoy that even more than me (she's still working on the bubble wrap from a package we got from pitbull808), at least the bubble wrap will distract her from the putter. Soft brass doesn't hold up nearly as well as the beat to hell Ping she's been playing with. Have fun on Spring Break! I hope you're playing well enough with your irons that you won't HAVE to drain any snakes with it. :kewlpics:

beruo

:hi:

Very nice Lord Thomas. I look forward to your review (but not as much as I'm looking forward to getting my own putter!). :aggressive: Very cool to hear/read that Serge's attention to detail continues with his shipping. Bubble wrap AND peanuts? My daughter's going to enjoy that even more than me (she's still working on the bubble wrap from a package we got from pitbull808), at least the bubble wrap will distract her from the putter. Soft brass doesn't hold up nearly as well as the beat to hell Ping she's been playing with. Have fun on Spring Break! I hope you're playing well enough with your irons that you won't HAVE to drain any snakes with it. :kewlpics:

beruo

Beruo,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really looking forward to reading the other reviews, especially your review with how the putter plays from my natural side. Hopefully my iron play won't leave me any snakes, but after the winter we've had here, my swing might be a bit rusty, so the putter will likely get lots of opportunities to make the long snake.

The packing peanuts and bubble wrap were an added surprise, some of the guys on my floor might have had a little too much fun with the packing peanuts though......

-Thomas

That was a great initial review. Just hearing about the arrival of your putter is making me even more excited about getting mine. My home course here in Champaign, IL just opened Wednesday, but my putter will also get its first real test when i'm on spring break. I'm looking forward to hearing how you enjoy yours. Also be sure to keep your eyes out for a review from me in the next couple of weeks.

beruo

Mabye I can make your daughter a putter when she's a bit older and a little less likely to smash stuff. I'm thinking 380g, 30-31" with flower and butterfly stamps, multi-colour paintfill, and a pink and black Winn grip. Your daughter combined with that putter might just be the cutest thing in the universe. :angry:

I hope she enjoys the bubble wrap and peanuts. :vava:

Looking good serge... I would have done you review as well, but I didn't fit you requirements ( I dont like center shaft putters).. but just want to say what you have done looks pretty cool.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Good to read your initial thoughts, the putter looks great. Looking forward to reading about your on course experience.

Looking good serge... I would have done you review as well, but I didn't fit you requirements ( I dont like center shaft putters).. but just want to say what you have done looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm really looking forward to what Thomas thinks on course as well. beruo should be getting his putter later this week and it seems the weather is co-operating in his area.

• 3 weeks later...

Mabye I can make your daughter a putter when she's a bit older and a little less likely to smash stuff. I'm thinking 380g, 30-31" with flower and butterfly stamps, multi-colour paintfill, and a pink and black Winn grip. Your daughter combined with that putter might just be the cutest thing in the universe. :tongue:

I hope she enjoys the bubble wrap and peanuts. ;)

beruo should be getting his putter later this week and it seems the weather is co-operating in his area.

Sadly, weather has not been too terribly cooperative Serge--but I think we might be on the upswing (golf money is inversely proportional to the heating bill, and the heating bill should finally be under $100!). I'm thinking my daughter might have to give you a call once things get settled w/ your biz'ness.

Just FYI, the bubblewrap and peanuts turned out to be a great inclusion--I was asleep when the putter arrived and while my wife was cleaning my daughter took to jumping on and off the box. Thankfully the putter was pristine even though the exterior of the box was destroyed. :)

beruo

:hi: