2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The longest Par 5 you've reached in two

..and did you make the putt?
Ok, so it was another cold weekend here on the East coast watching golf instead of playing it. I was watching the Match Play Championships and watching Casey reach the 605 yard par 5 in two got me to wondering.

The longest par 5 I can ever remember reaching was the 538 yard No. 8 at Waverly Woods in Maryland. I had just over 250 left and ran a 3 wood onto the green (it rolled about the last 20 yards or so) to 15 feet to a back left pin, and made the putt. I've made 3 other eagles on par 5's but that was the longest.

So what's your story. All the details. What course, how long was the hole, how far did you have left on your 2nd shot and what club to get there. And of course did you close the deal?

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Longest I can remember is 618 straightaway and level...probably playing around 600. Played a little downwind and knocked it on with a 5-wood. Three jacked for par unfortunately. There is a a 579 yard par 5 at my course that plays straight away and up hill on the tee shot that i reach every now and again wih two bombs...harder to reach this one than the other which is longer on paper.

The third hole at Mozingo Lake Golf Course is on the card at 579. It is kind of a double dog leg almost. When it plays downwind on windy days, it can be very easy. When it plays into the wind, it can be a beast. One glorious day, there was a 15 mph tailwind, and I played the hole driver nine iron for eagle. I've also played it driver, three wood and come up 50-100 yards short. Just completely depends on the wind.

Only once I've ever reached a par 5 in two. 522 yards and on the rare occasion I piped a drive that left me standing on the 200 plate (with a LOT of roll) with a Ping G10. I took a hybrid out and landed it short of the green and it rolled on, just past the fringe. Then in my true fashion, I proceeded to 4 putt it. Talk about a downer!

EDIT: I played Broad Run in Bristow VA...my home course!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Only once I've ever reached a par 5 in two. 522 yards and on the rare occasion I piped a drive that left me standing on the 200 plate (with a LOT of roll) with a Ping G10. I took a hybrid out and landed it short of the green and it rolled on, just past the fringe. Then in my true fashion, I proceeded to 4 putt it. Talk about a downer!

Tbowles....You're killing me with that Avatar, go back to your other one, it was cool or anything else for that matter :)

A bit of a threadjack, but since it's my thread I'll allow it. You no doubt are aware the Redskins signed Albert Haynesworth this weekend. You may recall he accidentally stumbled and ever so slightly stepped on the head of a Cowboy a couple years ago. Some might argue that despite two pro bowl appearances, that is the best thing he has done on a football field :) JK, all in good fun.

Vokey

Ruffled Feathers, Lemont, IL, just outside of Chicago in a tournament. 325 off the tee...around 250 going in. The guys in the foursome were laughing at me because they said there was no way I could reach it and they wanted me to hit. Waited til the green cleared and hit a well struck 3 metal to about 20 feet. Lipped out the eagle putt and settled for birdie.

I'm not a long hitter. In fact, I rarely go for par 5s in two unless there is zero trouble within a big radius of the green.

Mine was the 470-something yard monster par 5 6th hole at Pearl Municipal Golf Course. Cleared the ditch with the driver and hit a hybrid onto the green. Clearing the ditch with the driver is a big deal cuz it's 250 out, which is right in my driver landing range. I only hit driver on that hole if the wind's at my back. It's the only par 5 i've ever hit in two.

I've reached our longest par 5 twice, making the putt once. 582 yards, it always plays into the wind, so I caught it on two separate days where there was little to no wind. Tee shot plays uphill and the second shot is dead level. It takes two solid shots to get there because there's a pond that guards the landing area about 20 yards short of the green.

The day I made eagle there was the start of a new legend at the course among members. I bombed a driver down there with a baby draw to it, then I took a 3 wood from 270 out and hit a high flying draw at the center of the green, and made the 15 foot putt.

Picture1-9.png

8th hole on the North Course at the Reserve Vineyards and GC in Portland, OR. 576 yards from the blue tees.

Reached the green with driver (330) and 4-wood (246) last summer in the club championship. Had a 20-foot putt for eagle, missed it but got it past the hole. Made birdie.

This was the longest drive I have ever hit in competition. No wind, but the course was baked-out and I nutted my driver with a perfect draw that probably ran for 40 yards. The 4-wood shot was with my Adams 5050. One of the best shots I ever hit, a perfect high draw that carried all the way to the green and stopped below the hole.

The best part was I pulled this off in front of a gallery that saw both shots as I was playing in the last group on the final day of the club championship (I finished solo 2nd)

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

8th hole on the North Course at the Reserve Vineyards and GC in Portland, OR. 576 yards from the blue tees.

Reached the green with driver (330) and 4-wood (246) last summer in the club championship. Had a 20-foot putt for eagle, missed it but got it past the hole. Made birdie.

This was the longest drive I have ever hit in competition. No wind, but the course was baked-out and I nutted my driver with a perfect draw that probably ran for 40 yards. The 4-wood shot was with my Adams 5050. One of the best shots I ever hit, a perfect high draw that carried all the way to the green and stopped below the hole.

The best part was I pulled this off in front of a gallery that saw both shots as I was playing in the last group on the final day of the club championship (I finished solo 2nd)

Very nice...on both the hole and the finish in the tourney.

Vokey

Ok, so it was another cold weekend here on the East coast watching golf instead of playing it. I was watching the Match Play Championships and watching Casey reach the 605 yard par 5 in two got me to wondering.

The longest par 5 I can ever remember reaching was the 538 yard No. 8 at Waverly Woods in Maryland. I had just over 250 left and ran a 3 wood onto the green (it rolled about the last 20 yards or so) to 15 feet to a back left pin, and made the putt. I've made 3 other eagles on par 5's but that was the longest.

So what's your story. All the details. What course, how long was the hole, how far did you have left on your 2nd shot and what club to get there. And of course did you close the deal?

Wow!! After reading 20 some replies here, it's obvious there are some pretty big sticks in this crowd. Well done guys. I don't reach as many par 5's as I used to. I'm turning 50 this year and have noticed a marked drop off in my distance. Up until 3 years ago I would say it was close to 260 on most drives and even got one out near 300 every round or two. That eagle I mentioned above was about 3 or 4 years ago.

I've set a personal goal to get in better shape this year than I have been in the past 10 years and see what effect it has on my game. It can't hurt, I'm pretty sure of that.

Keep the stories coming, they're interesting.

Vokey

Wow!! After reading 20 some replies here, it's obvious there are some pretty big sticks in this crowd. Well done guys. I don't reach as many par 5's as I used to. I'm turning 50 this year and have noticed a marked drop off in my distance. Up until 3 years ago I would say it was close to 260 on most drives and even got one out near 300 every round or two. That eagle I mentioned above was about 3 or 4 years ago.

I've set a personal goal to get in better shape this year than I have been in the past 10 years and see what effect it has on my game. It can't hurt, I'm pretty sure of that.

Keep the stories coming, they're interesting.

Definitely can't hurt. I'm a 6 foot 19 year old with no aches and pains yet, however the gym makes me feel so much better about my physical condition. Its my hope if I keep the whole gym thing up I'll be able to play decent golf 'till the day I die.

Tbowles....You're killing me with that Avatar, go back to your other one, it was cool or anything else for that matter :)

A bit of a threadjack, but since it's my thread I'll allow it. You no doubt are aware the Redskins signed Albert Haynesworth this weekend. You may recall he accidentally stumbled and ever so slightly stepped on the head of a Cowboy a couple years ago. Some might argue that despite two pro bowl appearances, that is the best thing he has done on a football field :) JK, all in good fun.

I wouldn't call that a "stumble", but Andre hasn't forgotten that... But for you, I'll change my avatar to something else, for a while anyways! :D

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

595 yarder, hit the green at my old home track about 3 times but the day I finally eagled it, it was a chip in from just over the back in a couples's night tourney

The best was the following par 3 hole, me jokingly calling an ace on the tee, then hitting a laser that climbs the stick, has a ball mark on the lip and finishes with the ball hanging over the edge for a 1. Nearly back to back eagles and I still don't have a 1. Arghhhhhhh. Golf and karma are funny some times, weird improbable stuff tends to happen

A few years ago in the club C at my new club I hit our 18th in two (585 yards) and made the putt for the 3. LINK BELOW. This was more impressive as the whole front of the green is protected by a lake so you have to fly it on. No chasing draw shots. Only time in 4 years I have hit the green in two from the golds. Was 257 out and hit the best 5 wood of my life, a 3 yard draw that nearly went in and I made a 15 foot downhiller. It was a shot that you don't believe you actually hit when it is in the air.

http://en.clublink.ca/golf/golfcourse/scor..._COURSE_ID=0520

Whoopsy, just realized, I stand corrected, I hit the 601 yard 4th hole at Rattlesnake Copperhead once with an 8 iron from 195 out. I kid you not, it was a Champion of Champions event and it was 60 kmh (~ 36mph) downwind and the fairways were REAL firm. Missed the putt. LINK follows

http://en.clublink.ca/golf/golfcourse/scor..._COURSE_ID=0120

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

One ridiculous round at Forest Oaks CC in Greensboro, we played from the back of the back tees (this was the same week the AJGA tourney... Footjoy Classic I think... was there) and I reached #2 553 (driver/3w) and #9 578 (driver/hybrid). Missed both putts, but the first was really close to dropping. Just needed hit it a fraction harder. I think I shot 78 that day with about 4 doubles if that says anything about how the other holes went...hahaa.

628 yds from the Blues...#7 at Redtail golf course, ita dogleg right with water and all kinds of hazards- unless the tee shot is near perfect its rarely a good idea to go for it....additionally once you get to the green is a whole another story- potato chip style! in Portland. I done at least twice...once was a baked out summer day- driver/3w and another on a very cold day which it was also playing firm...

To go the opposite, this past weekend I played in sustained winds of 30, gusting to 50mph. I played in the Texas hill country and played a 495 yard par 5 that was uphill and directly into that wind. I hit driver, driver, 3-iron, 6-iron to get pin high, then had to pitch up to the green. All but one of those shots was hit well.

A few holes later I got to a 600 yard par 5 hitting driver-8 iron.

Might be some bombers here, but conditions have alot to do with it.

I wouldn't call that a "stumble", but Andre hasn't forgotten that... But for you, I'll change my avatar to something else, for a while anyways! :D

Yeah, I should have put stumble in quotes or something to let you know I was being sarcastic. At the time it happened, I thought it was one of the dirtiest things I'd seen in sports. (next to Christian Laetner stepping on tha UK player in the NCAA tourney) of course my perspective is a bit skewed on that one as well.

But if Haynesworth plays well and gets around 10 sacks and the Skins make it to the playoffs, all is forvgiven.

Vokey

To go the opposite, this past weekend I played in sustained winds of 30, gusting to 50mph. I played in the Texas hill country and played a 495 yard par 5 that was uphill and directly into that wind. I hit driver, driver, 3-iron, 6-iron to get pin high, then had to pitch up to the green. All but one of those shots was hit well.

A few holes later I got to a 600 yard par 5 hitting driver-8 iron.

Might be some bombers here, but conditions have alot to do with it.

One of the biggest change in winds I've experienced is at Whistling Straits where I've played several times. Hole No 4 is about 420 from the green tees. It plays dead into the wind usually. I'll hit Driver/hybrid and still be usually be 70 to 100 yards short. The next hole goes right back in the opposite direction, it is a 526 yard par 5. If I'm in the fairway, I've taken anywhere from a 7 iron to 4 iron, I've been green high a few times, but never on the green. Went over it once with a 5 iron from about 210.

So yeah, a lot depends on wind and conditions.

Vokey

560 yarder, a long hole but there's a hill at about 250 yards so if you get your driver going down the slope you can hit it 300. The 3 wood second shot was the best 3 wood I've hit in my life, onto the green about 30 feet away, holed the putt.

I was playing a matchplay game for my club, and I had just given my opponent his putt for birdie. He wasn't happy when I holed for eagle!!!

i've reached a 595 hole around here a couple of times but it's fairly uninteresting...

my favorite one was the 574 yard 18th hole at Les Quattre Domaines #2. Plays level ground and the green is tucked behind a small canyon that you have to carry. I hit the green the only time i've ever gone for it in 2 and two-putted for birdie

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

#18 Mount Kidd-Kananaskis, Alberta

Although I never hit it in two two of us came within 10 yards of the green a few times.

I worked there for a summer with 6 guys and we bet within our group if anyone ever hits the green they win a case of beer from everyone.

Oh ya the Hole is 642 yards, tons of traps, green tucked in the forest with bunkers from right, left and forest long.

God Love Mountain Air a mile high!