Bogie Golfer With Mizuno MP-52?

JackB1

Am I crazy to switch to these?
I usually score in the low 90's, giver or take.  Yesterday, just for kicks, I went and hit the Mizuno MP-52's on the launch monitor.  I was amazed at how great they felt on impact and they didn't seem any harder to hit than my current set...the MX-200's.  Am I crazy in thinking of trading in my MX-200s for the MP-52?  Even though I am a bogie golfer, I consider myself a pretty good ball striker.  My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin.  Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's?  Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?  

Is hitting off mats on the simulator THAT MUCH easier than real grass and actual playing conditions?  To be honest, I compared the MX200s and MP-52s side by side and on the monitors, I actually hit the MP-52's better.  Should I try them at the range before switching?

One other option to consider is a mixed set. I play a 3,4 hybrid, so I would use the MX-200 for the 5 & 6 irons and then the MP52s for the 7-PW.
Should I bother with that or should I just get the full set of MP52s? I only hit the 7 iron in the simulator. Would the 5 & 6 be THAT much harder to hit?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my limited experience, indoor mats and driving range mats can be really deceiving. I played a set of Callaway X-14 Pros but had the opportunity to borrow and use a set of Cobra Forged CBs a while back. I hit them wonderfully on the driving range mats but when I took them out on the course in conditions that were a little less optimal (wet and muddy), I found that I often hit the ground fat and because of the sole design ended up throwing sod instead of getting good contact. I now play the X-20 tours which might still be too much club for me but I enjoy them. I'd say test them out first, a driving range mat only provides limited feedback and doesn't give you the opportunity to hit off different lies which is where a lot of the difference lies. My 0.02c.

I consider myself a pretty good ball striker.  My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin.  

Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's?  Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?  

If your misses aren't even consistent, then you are not a pretty good ball striker, sorry to be blunt.

Practice with whatever clubs you own, and you will improve. Unless you enjoy suffering, I'd stick with an easier to hit club until you find a deficiency with your current irons. There are some very good players who can do anything they want with GI or SGI irons.

Driving range mats will mask many flaws that real turf won't. There is no pressure at the range, no water to clear, no OB down the right side, etc...

Don't fall down the path of the ego driven bag!

Yes it is easier to hit off of the mats than it is off of grass. I am a 10 handicap and tested out the Mp-57's the Mp-52's and the Mx-200's. Inside I hit the 57's and the 52's as well as I hit the 200's....outside it was fairly evident that the 200's were substantially more forgiving and quite honestly the feel difference between the 52's and the 200's is minimal. For me the "look" difference did not matter. I have no need to have the thinnest topline and smallest blade size imagineable....so I went with the 200's.

Contrary to what people on here say.....really good players play with clubs just like your 200's everyday. Don't worry about the clubs your hitting cuz your Mizuno's are great clubs...take the extra cash you were going to spend on 52's and get a couple lessons. that will really give your game a shot in the arm.

I consider myself a pretty good ball striker. My misses are usually fat and sometimes thin.

Will this club force me to get better because it's not as forgiving as the MX-200's? Or should I just stay with the MX-200's until I get closer to a 10 handicap?

If your misses aren't even consistent, then you are not a pretty good ball striker, sorry to be blunt.

Practice with whatever clubs you own, and you will improve. Unless you enjoy suffering, I'd stick with an easier to hit club until you find a deficiency with your current irons. There are some very good players who can do anything they want with GI or SGI irons.

Driving range mats will mask many flaws that real turf won't. There is no pressure at the range, no water to clear, no OB down the right side, etc...

Don't fall down the path of the ego driven bag!

this is very true. I see guys playing with clubs a scratch golfer would bag and they can't even break 90.

You just bought a new set of clubs. Enjoy them. Your score won't change with anything new. Don't be throwing your money away.

Its not about the money...that will be a wash.  It's more about that great "pure" feeling you get with the 52's.  The MX-200's feel OK, but they don't give you that buttery feel that the 52's do.

So most of you seem to feel that the MP52's are too big a step up from the MX200s for a bogie golfer.  Is that a correct assumption?

You just bought a new set of clubs. Enjoy them. Your score won't change with anything new. Don't be throwing your money away.

Its not about the money...that will be a wash. It's more about that great "pure" feeling you get with the 52's. The MX-200's feel OK, but they don't give you that buttery feel that the 52's do.

So most of you seem to feel that the MP52's are too big a step up from the MX200s for a bogie golfer. Is that a correct assumption?

Yes, you don't need new clubs. You have a nicer bag than most scratch players I know. Honestly, just play with what you have.

Their is very little difference in the feel between the 52 and the 200 (true buttery mizuno "feel" is in the blades)....and that miniscule difference in feel is not something a bogey golfer would easily differentiate.....and you are already in a club that is made for mid handicappers.....you will not gain anything but will lose a decent amount of forgiveness. Learn to hit the clubs you have....that is the path to becoming a better golfer.

Its not about the money...that will be a wash. It's more about that great "pure" feeling you get with the 52's. The MX-200's feel OK, but they don't give you that buttery feel that the 52's do.

So most of you seem to feel that the MP52's are too big a step up from the MX200s for a bogie golfer. Is that a correct assumption?

How is it a wash? The 200s retail for $699 and the 52s retail for $799.

I just bought the mp 52 and am around a 10 handicap, love them live in ohio so the weather is so so now, I did hit them off the mats and once on grass, again love them. I strike the ball well then shouldnt be a problem. I played with Cally x -20 tour last year and then ap2 and they are very similar to the AP2, but feel much better. the benefit for you is the feeling and as you improve the shot control then will come, I do not see you losing much from the 200's, but much to gain in the long run.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

It's looking as though you just want someone to support the decision you already made.

Go ahead, buy your 52s and slash away. Perhaps they will work, I predict they won't.

I'm not sure what clubs people are playing that have absolutely no feel, I've hit cast and forged and get plenty of feedback from either.

I HAVE NOT made my decision yet and that is why I posted this question.  I have no problem staying

with the MX-200s at all.  If the 52's are over my head, then I won't get them.  I am only posing this question because I was surprised at how easy they were to hit at the store.  Will I be fine with the 200's? Of course.  I am just trying to maximize my enjoyment of the game and that "sweet-spot feeling" with the 52's left me wanting more :)  I just wanted to see what you guys all think and it seems like the majority feels I should stay with the 200's, so that is probably what I will do.

It's looking as though you just want someone to support the decision you already made.

Go ahead, buy your 52s and slash away. Perhaps they will work, I predict they won't.

I'm not sure what clubs people are playing that have absolutely no feel, I've hit cast and forged and get plenty of feedback from either.

How do you want to hit the ball? Do you want it to just go straight or do you want to shape it? I had a set of MP57s that I sold to buy the MX25s. I liked the 57s, however, I had no desire to shape my shots. I simply wanted to aim and shoot straight. There was no benefit for me to have the more advanced clubs as I saw no benefit. The only thing was that it magnified a draw or fade into a hook or slice. I play much better with the more forgiving clubs.

I would stick with the 200s for the year before you switch. Get really consistent hit your "go to" shot. That seems to be the trend now a days anyway. However, the 52s are really nice (I play them and am not a great player), but they will definitely be harder to hit. Like some of the above people mentioned, the mats mask fat shots by having your club bounce off the mat and strike the ball more cleanly.

How do you want to hit the ball? Do you want it to just go straight or do you want to shape it? I had a set of MP57s that I sold to buy the MX25s. I liked the 57s, however, I had no desire to shape my shots. I simply wanted to aim and shoot straight. There was no benefit for me to have the more advanced clubs as I saw no benefit. The only thing was that it magnified a draw or fade into a hook or slice. I play much better with the more forgiving clubs.

I dont do much shaping with my irons....only my driver.  I can draw or fade my driver pretty well, but the irons I usually try to hit straight.

sounds to me like you want to change based only on feel rather than flight, trajectory, & spin characteristics? or perhaps you consider the mps a player's model & would look better in your bag to your buddies than your mx's?

unless you think the change is going to get your more GIRs & help your score, i don't see why a change is needed, but if you don't lose any $ out of the deal & you just want to ho, then i say go for it.

I say you get them. People here get so caught up with people and how they have great bags without necessarily the handicap to own up to it...but the reality is, golf is a game of constant improvement. The fun part is getting there and the even more fun part is the equipment toying. If you get them and suck so what? You trade them in for something else right?

What if you get them and you play the same? You didn't lose but I bet you like them better than your current ones because otherwise you wouldn't be trying to justify the purchase!

For me it's like dancing...you might suck, but as long as you look good and have fun doing it...DANCE AWAY MY FRIEND!

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

If you shoot in the 90s regularly then chances are you can't shape it. Buy whatever clubs you want because bottom line is you are the one who has to look at them and use them. Should a guy shooting in the 90s use MP-52s? Probably not.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Hitting off mats will cover up swing flaws and make it easier to hit decent looking shots, so it might be a different story on the course, especially if your misses are thin or fat.

That being said, I used to shoot 88, 90, 92 for years with Wilson Deep Red irons. Last year, I shot 88, 90, 92 with Ping S59s.

And I own a set of Mizuno MP-32s, which I only bought, because I think they are the most beautiful irons ever made, and I just wanted to have them, period. About once a month I take them out for a nice round of golf, like other people would cruise around in a vintage convertible, just for kicks. Guess what I ususally shoot with the Mizunos?

Answer: 88, 90, 92.

It's the Indian, not the bow.

To heddp:

I really like your signature!

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Get them! I play the 23s but just picked up a set of j33 combo's because I couldn't stand the size of the 23s anymore. Keep the 200s for a set to fall back on if it doesn't work out. That is what I am doing. I'm an 8 but iron play is the weakest part of my game. If the club fits your eye than you have one more reason to get them. A buddy of mine was shooting in the high 90s with X-20s earlier this year and is now shooting in the high 80s with Srixon 701 tours. They look better to him. Do it.

Brian