2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I-Mix Users....BAD NEWS maybe?

volrus

As a fan of the I-Mix system, I was disappointed to hear what I heard today at my local Golf Galaxy. I was talking to the Store Manager as he was making some adjustments to my just purchased Scotty Cameron Squareback :yahoo: and I asked him when he expected to get the FT-9 I-Mix head in stock and he said he didn't think they would. I was quite perplexed so I asked why and he said they weren't going to carry it because they can't sell it. He then said that he thought the I-Mix concept was going to be dropped pretty soon by Callaway. In reference to Callaway and the I-Mix he then said "When your #1 customer won't even carry the product you know something isn't working." I asked him who the #1 customer was and he said Dick's/Golf Galaxy. He then said he really thought this would be the last year for I-Mix from Callaway.

Now before you all go into the "what does the Store Manager of GG know" posts, I understand that, but the fact is he does know the plans for his GG and probably others and it sounds like there is serious doubt about whether they will carry the product or not which can't be good for I-Mix.

The whole conversation made my heart skip a beat because I currently have a Diamana Whiteboard and a brand spankin' new Fubuki shaft in I-Mix! :scare2:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cally sells direct on their website. Doubt it will be an issue even if retailers dont carry them. If you really want it you should be able to get it.

My worry is more that they won't carry any of their future club heads in I-Mix. I shouldn't have a problem getting the FT-9, but the FT-11 or whatever it is will be the problem.

I agree that the I-Mix concept did not sell well in retail stores. I don't want to assume it's just a sign of the times were facing, but I do think it's all very new still.

Keep in mind Callaway did no advertising for I-Mix when it was first introduced. It was really only a known thing to that techy guy, a Callaway fan, someone who constantly goes to the golf store, or whether or not a salesman of a store attempted to sell it.

Also, the pricing was very steep. This year, FT9 I-Mix heads are only $299, which is $50 less than the FT5 I-Mix heads. Even though the super-premium (Diamana, Ozik) shafts are still pricey at $299, Callaway has introduced a lot more models, as well as more weights and flexes.

The other step Callaway took this year to push their I-Mix product is switching out all Opti-Fit fitting components to I-Mix components. When there was Opti-Fit and I-Mix, the consumer was a little confused saying, "Wait.. I can buy components, but not these..?" So by demoing and fittings, I think the consumer will feel more comfortable thinking, "Hey, this is a pretty neat idea.."

I think one of the biggest things for I-Mix and retail displays is to assemble the drivers and put them right on the rack. That way, the guy in the market for a Callaway driver can buy his desired set up (Whatever loft, CG Bias, and shaft), and have the luxury of the I-Mix technology if he needs it. Not everyone will switch shafts, just like not everyone switched the weights on their R7 drivers- but the consumer liked having that option.

-Grant

ROGUE 10.5 // HZRDUS BLK
G410 17.5 // EVENFLOW BLK
TITLEIST U510 4 // HZRDUS
SRIXON Z765 // MODUS 3
FOURTEEN 50 56 60 // KBS
EDEL

Everybody else is moving in the adjustable direction so I doubt they drop it. I'd expect a new version w/adjustable loft and face angle to keep up with Nike/TM others.

That said Cally must solve the problem of the imix combo (head + shaft) costing far more than the glued version. A local guy in NKY known as Golf Exchange plans on pushing the i mix more so than the glued.

I for one will no longer buy a non imix Fusion as it is too difficult and/or expensive to change the shafts on the glued Fusion heads.

I just grabed an ft i lcg on the cheap and will be gabbing a shaft soon. I'm betting I will have the Ftiq at some point this season.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

As someone in the know about Golf Galaxy inventory and future products, there is no plans to carry FT9 I-Mix as of right now as a stock store. It can be ordered thru any Golf Galaxy. The previous I-mix model just wasn't that big of a seller.

I don't know just HOW much you are in the know, but while I can understand that based on the last models sales GG wouldn't carry them, I can't really understand it this year. This year's models are going to the be the same price as the epoxied versions and therefore should sell better I would think. No? Can you tell me the reason, because if it's just based on last years sales that sort of seems short sighted IMO. It was a much different situation last year with the I-Mix setup costing more than the epoxied version.

Here is a post about IMIX : http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...=230302&hl=

You'll find a very extensive info the in and out about them.

I really don't see Callaway have or has any intention to shut it down. I'm not sure where the GG guys have the info from or he is just trying to sell you something he can make a better bonus. :)

Here is a post about IMIX :http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230302&hl=

You'll find a very extensive info the in and out about them.

I really don't see Callaway have or has any intention to shut it down. I'm not sure where the GG guys have the info from or he is just trying to sell you something he can make a better bonus. :)

He wasn't trying to sell me anything, I just asked him specifically about the I-Mix and that's the response I got. Like I said, I was just getting him to adjust my new putter. :clapping:

Oh and yes, I've been following and posting in the thread you referenced as I was one of the one's who bought the Fubuki. Thanks for all your input on the Fubuki over there!

IRRC, Callaway pinched the idea (or purchased some of the patents or something) from Nakashima who had the interchangeable stuff long before Cally. The Nakashima Htec is better too because you can literally use any shaft (not limited to what Callaway offers). Just buy a bunch of hosels. Think this is true for the Versus one, too.

I would imagine that the decision was heavily based on the previous models performance, and price point. The previous model was a little pricey. The store that I am at has sold 2 shafts in the last 6 months, and 2 heads since the product was introduced. I still have 3 heads and 10 shafts that have not even been touched.

GG employees do not get bonuses for selling particular brands. And I have not heard of any plans by Callaway to move away from I-Mix.

I personally think the salespeople in most of the bigger chain stores did not know how to sell the I-mix concept to the normal customers that shop there. Most of their customers are the weekend warrior player type that comes in and picks out what is in their mind or what the salesperson tells them is hottest club out now. Occationally they might go into their "hitting room" and try it out before buying. Rarely do they do a true demo out on a range with these off the rack drivers. These are the same customers that think a professional club fitter costs too much. For the most part the normal customers of these stores are not the target market for the I-mix system.

Personally I see Callaway keeping the I-mix system around for a long time. I've already invested a fair amount in three heads (including the new FT-9) and three shafts. I plan on buying more shafts and heads in the future as they become available. I don't see Callaway abandoning the customers that have invested in I-mix.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

I would imagine that the decision was heavily based on the previous models performance, and price point. The previous model was a little pricey. The store that I am at has sold 2 shafts in the last 6 months, and 2 heads since the product was introduced. I still have 3 heads and 10 shafts that have not even been touched.

GG employees do not get bonuses for selling particular brands. And I have not heard of any plans by Callaway to move away from I-Mix.

Like I was saying, I agree that that was true for the previous model, but not with the new models. Cost will be the same depending on shaft chosen.

Unfortunately I am not high enough up the ladder to make any decision whatsoever on what GG carries. However, I'm sure that if FT9 starts generating some buzz, they may reconsider.

Personally, while not a fan of Callaway products, I like the I-Mix concept. But like the previous poster said, it just has not taken hold with the average weekend golfer.

I work at Golf Town in Canada which is the second largest callaway account world wide i believe and we sent all of the stil in stock i mix product back to cally including ft5 and ft-i and shafts....

I know as a store we willno longer carry the product because it sold HORRIBLE in ALL of our stores across the country. Not sure about the future but i know that GT wont be carrying it this upcoming year.

Cheers

iMix is a great product but initially the heads and shafts were priced to high. I jumped in when the FT-5 heads dropped to $199. I think thats the price point to sell the heads. The shafts are still priced to high, at least most of them. No the recent deal where I bought a fubuki 63 shaft for $129 was perfect. If callaway can make this the norm for imix it might succeed. Walking into golf galaxy and looking at $300 heads and $300 shafts will never succeed.

I love my FT-5 imix and now I have 3 shafts for it. I'll just buy more shafts off ebay cheaply when I can.

Cally issue with imix originally was skewed retail shaft pricing without justification. They have fixed the pricing now and the concept is taking root finally. It was a whole new concept for a big player in the driver game to have an imix type config as a permanent option...many people were waiting on the sidelines to see if it would work/last and now many of thos peeps are getting in the game with confidence. I hope cally doesnt misjudge the market cycle timing of a newer concept gaining traction....

I agree that the I-Mix concept did not sell well in retail stores. I don't want to assume it's just a sign of the times were facing, but I do think it's all very new still.

Keep in mind Callaway did no advertising for I-Mix when it was first introduced. It was really only a known thing to that techy guy, a Callaway fan, someone who constantly goes to the golf store, or whether or not a salesman of a store attempted to sell it.

Also, the pricing was very steep. This year, FT9 I-Mix heads are only $299, which is $50 less than the FT5 I-Mix heads. Even though the super-premium (Diamana, Ozik) shafts are still pricey at $299, Callaway has introduced a lot more models, as well as more weights and flexes.

The other step Callaway took this year to push their I-Mix product is switching out all Opti-Fit fitting components to I-Mix components. When there was Opti-Fit and I-Mix, the consumer was a little confused saying, "Wait.. I can buy components, but not these..?" So by demoing and fittings, I think the consumer will feel more comfortable thinking, "Hey, this is a pretty neat idea.."

I think one of the biggest things for I-Mix and retail displays is to assemble the drivers and put them right on the rack. That way, the guy in the market for a Callaway driver can buy his desired set up (Whatever loft, CG Bias, and shaft), and have the luxury of the I-Mix technology if he needs it. Not everyone will switch shafts, just like not everyone switched the weights on their R7 drivers- but the consumer liked having that option.

-Grant

You, sir, are smart. I never even thought about having them assembled on the rack.

I personally think that's a great idea.

iMix is a great product but initially the heads and shafts were priced to high. I jumped in when the FT-5 heads dropped to $199. I think thats the price point to sell the heads. The shafts are still priced to high, at least most of them. No the recent deal where I bought a fubuki 63 shaft for $129 was perfect. If callaway can make this the norm for imix it might succeed. Walking into golf galaxy and looking at $300 heads and $300 shafts will never succeed.

I love my FT-5 imix and now I have 3 shafts for it. I'll just buy more shafts off ebay cheaply when I can.

Some of the shafts ARE $300 shafts such as the Fubuki. Now $300 for a VS Proto is rediculous but for a Fubuki is perfectly reasonable.

I wouldn't worry too much. I have these heads in my golf shop right now and the interest in them is awesome. The benefits from this technology is outstanding and my rep said it isn't going anywhere. But on the other hand, it is going to take a few special people to buy this type of club. I've been telling people to pay the extra few bucks to get into this technology and it has worked well.

The trend in golf is to tinker tinker tinker. I-Mix will not only stay, it will expand to include adjustablility for face angle, lie / loft, swingweight, whatever. No way it goes away, everybody is doing it now. Now they just have to get universal with it so people can swap OEM's.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

It's all about the pricing. Great concept but too expensive- especially the shafts. Diamana I mix shafts are EXPENSIVE even on ebay.

Which is another reason to go with a smaller boutique brand ala Nakashima, Versus, or Alpha. http://www.nakashimagolf.com/drivers_460_htec.php

and http://www.versusgolf.com/sx1.htm

Sure you don't have the brand power of Callaway (although anyone who has hit Nak, Versus, or Alpha might not care) but you do have the freedom of putting ANY shaft to the test rather than what Callaway is currently offering.

Funny this was brought up, I spoke to Golf Galaxy by my house and Callaway today and the I Mix line will be in most stores and Callaway mentioned that there was a back order on FT-9 heads as mentioned in previous post. Also, the rep from Callaway mentioned that the future for Callaway will be I mix ONLY! So again so much mis communication on this website! Call Callaway yourself and confirm it, do not go by a store manager that the previous month probably was a CPA who was laid off lol! And the not selling part is the funniest, considering that there is a back order on the heads and now some of the shafts ie the Fubuki!

one last thing, debate on price of shafts are a joke. Diamana going for $300, well that is no different if you went to the same GG and bought a glued one so what is the big deal?? The maketing should have started on the FT -9 and not the Ft-5, I agree the price was out of control last year on a driver head that was going to be replaced in 12 mos. Now the FT-9 will be out for two years I think more people would be interested, especially the prices they have gone wit hthis year. I personally look at GG as a large retail shop now, very little specific items anymore to streamline for me, there are way better shops on the internet and across the country. And as far as the sales people they may not make money on sales, they sure push some products more than others. (they get corporate incentives is the reason)

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

i have a feeling that interchangeable head/shafts will be 100% of the market in the near future. I don't see one single advantage to an apoxy'd head.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Kiyoshi Prp 65x
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 3wd Nunchuk
Ping Rapture D.I 17* KBS Tour
Nike Pro Forged Blades 3-9 KBS Tour
Nike x3x Ts 48, 54, 60 DG S400 TI
Bettinardi Armlock

i have a feeling that interchangeable head/shafts will be 100% of the market in the near future. I don't see one single advantage to an apoxy'd head.

I addition to that, IMO every time i hit any driver with interchangeable shaft system feel like to much bias on the heel side, thus it makes me catching it a lot by the heel area. It's just don't feel right to me, at least it takes time to get use to it and yet the other way around when i go back to the glued version. So i decided to stick with the glued version which I know best and i can build them the way i like them to be.

Imagine how much metal they have to redistribute around the hosel area to make sure they are strong enough. Come to think of it ( a little of topic here ), add the calculation to the screws are on the R9 head design. This is why they have to make R9 head smaller than 460cc.

Please don't scream at me on this. Again, this is just my opinion base on what i do every day!

joe

I agree and apparently Callway Golf agrees with us. The investment we are making in the shafts now will payoff and it looks like Callaway is got the corrrect price break on the new i mix line, look out all the imix haters because they are here to stay and possible the only option in coming versions of the driver line. As matter of fact I just spoke to Callaway and a different rep mentioned that the fairway woods will have the i mix option soon.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

It'll take several things for that to happen.

1. The market of people who actually care about their shafts will need to have it proved to them without a doubt that interchangable stuff works without fail. I don't think they're there yet.

2. The average joe golfer will need to somehow be convinced that they need different shafts. Many of them can't even get the flex correct, so how would they choose a shaft? It will take a large effort by retail employees to help it succeed. The biggest problem there is the fact that clubfitters that really know how to fit people aren't going to jump on board as their business tends to rely on fitting and then doing the work, not just handing them a shaft and a wrench.

3. Plain and simple, the price needs to come down to pretty reasonable levels. $300 for a head plus another $100-300 for a shaft turns people off.