I-Mix Users....BAD NEWS maybe?

volrus

On the pricing part, I-mix is actually much cheaper than buying a new FT-9 from Callaway with a more expensive upgraded shaft. For instance an I-mix FT-9 with a, I-mix Whiteboard would only cost about $600 whereas the WB installed in a glued FT-9 tour is priced at $729 from Callaway. An I-mix FT-9 tour with a Fubuki Tour is about $430 while the glued version from Callaway is $877.50!!

Only when you buy one of the $100 I-mix shafts with a FT-9 head does the price equal the glued version with the stock Fujikura Z-com shaft. And then you do get a decent choice of really good shafts instead on just one model in the glued version.

.... As matter of fact I just spoke to Callaway and a different rep mentioned that the fairway woods will have the i mix option soon.

Now I have an excuse to delay buying a new 3 or 4 wood! However I wonder if they will now make the shafts in different lengths. A driver shaft that tops out at 45" (installed in a head) won't be the correct length for a fairway wood.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree this is a new concept and it will take time to be effective, and the remark about 300 for head and 129 for shaft which makes the total 429 for a driver is standard pricing compared to most companies. But if you start this i mix process now you do not need to change shafts the following years because you have the shafts so in reality you spend the 300 for the head, which now makes the driver the best priced top line driver. TM fans spend 399 each year they update there driver lines, is that cost effective for the consumer? The i mix line in my opinion will be the standard again these drivers are for the more advanced golfers not the every day person who would buy a used nike sumo from 3 years ago with any shaft, flex, etc.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

sure they will but the concept of changing the shafts on fairway woods just keeps the i mix concpet more alive the more they have to offer the more exposure they will.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

It makes total sense and the pricing that Cally has this year helps the cause alot. Again, from all the chatter I have been hearing at Cally I mix is there future. And as a golfer how can you sell a top line driver and offer one shaft and this is supposed to work for a all swing types. And if you do a custom order via ANY major golf companies the upgrade charges are so high and take long to get. So the argument on the Blue Board being 300 in the i mix well you will pay that for any golf company in there custom order dept so what is the difference? At least you spend 300 with Cally i mix and have it for future heads (Cally). What a concept keep it in the family.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

We already have ours and I don't see Callaway ditching imix. It is MUCH cheaper for me since both my son and I have kept the same shafts as in our FT-5's. I wont buy another glue in head after playing the imix since they came out. Performance is great and I can game a new driver for 3 bills. MUCH better than starting from scratch.

We couldnt be happier with the new FT9 tours......especially paint filled to get a new look :shok:

FT9rwb.jpg

Deerslayer,

Will you PLEASE quit posting that picture? You're just rubbing it in because my FT-9 I-Mix head won't be here until tomorrow. Damn! :D

I don't see this technology going away any time soon. And even if it does go away at the retail level at Golf Galaxy and others, it should still be available through Callaway for those who want it. It's too easy to fit people using I-Mix and other similar systems, so I can't see a company like Callaway completely ditching the system.

Kevin

Again totally agree with last post, the concept is to make buying drivers cheaper in the long run if you bought a blue board for 270 and keep using that shaft for multiple years and are just buying the heads Cally has decreased the price of the heads this year you can buy the driver for now 299 again the lowest among the top line heads out there. Great concept if you ask me and Cally is keeping everything among there co. In my opinion the weak effort of TM, Nike and Cobra adjusting the face angle but not offering the option to swtich the shafts is stupid I play a open face (slightly) I am not going to change my head to a 2 degree closed face dumb, but I am more in tuned to try a shaft to change by ball flight and actually have it to own to use in other heads. The FT 5 was a great head so I would be more in tuned to switch my shaft back to that from my Ft 9 if needed without paying a maker to put in a new shaft not to mention pay 300 for the new shaft.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Deerslayer,

Will you PLEASE quit posting that picture? You're just rubbing it in because my FT-9 I-Mix head won't be here until tomorrow. Damn! :D

I don't see this technology going away any time soon. And even if it does go away at the retail level at Golf Galaxy and others, it should still be available through Callaway for those who want it. It's too easy to fit people using I-Mix and other similar systems, so I can't see a company like Callaway completely ditching the system.

Kevin

I just got mine yesterday, via Cally. Very lucky because I understand there is now a back order on these heads (9.5 tour netural)

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Uh Oh Kevin.........It just broke on Fox News that UPS in ALL of Florida is going on strike at midnight tonight. :shok:

I can email you some video of us hitting these though :)

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :crazy:

Seriously though, when the UPS guy showed up yesterday with my Fubuki, the office manager in my executive suite wouldn't sign for the package because the box was pretty messed up. So the UPS guy comes down to my office and asks me to inspect it. Luckily the shaft wasn't damaged. I did, however, receive a broken shaft a couple of weeks ago...courtesy of UPS. :russian_roulette:

As long as they don't back the truck over my FT-9 head, I should have it tomorrow and will test it this weekend.

Thanks for the teaser pics! Send some video if you'd like! ;)

Kevin

Funny this was brought up, I spoke to Golf Galaxy by my house and Callaway today and the I Mix line will be in most stores and Callaway mentioned that there was a back order on FT-9 heads as mentioned in previous post. Also, the rep from Callaway mentioned that the future for Callaway will be I mix ONLY! So again so much mis communication on this website! Call Callaway yourself and confirm it, do not go by a store manager that the previous month probably was a CPA who was laid off lol! And the not selling part is the funniest, considering that there is a back order on the heads and now some of the shafts ie the Fubuki!

one last thing, debate on price of shafts are a joke. Diamana going for $300, well that is no different if you went to the same GG and bought a glued one so what is the big deal?? The maketing should have started on the FT -9 and not the Ft-5, I agree the price was out of control last year on a driver head that was going to be replaced in 12 mos. Now the FT-9 will be out for two years I think more people would be interested, especially the prices they have gone wit hthis year. I personally look at GG as a large retail shop now, very little specific items anymore to streamline for me, there are way better shops on the internet and across the country. And as far as the sales people they may not make money on sales, they sure push some products more than others. (they get corporate incentives is the reason)

The store manager I was speaking to has been at this GG for over a year and prior to that he was at another GG in Georgia (I think). I wasn't trying to spread miscommunication as you call it, just sending out some information that I got from a GG source.

Funny this was brought up, I spoke to Golf Galaxy by my house and Callaway today and the I Mix line will be in most stores and Callaway mentioned that there was a back order on FT-9 heads as mentioned in previous post. Also, the rep from Callaway mentioned that the future for Callaway will be I mix ONLY! So again so much mis communication on this website! Call Callaway yourself and confirm it, do not go by a store manager that the previous month probably was a CPA who was laid off lol! And the not selling part is the funniest, considering that there is a back order on the heads and now some of the shafts ie the Fubuki!

one last thing, debate on price of shafts are a joke. Diamana going for $300, well that is no different if you went to the same GG and bought a glued one so what is the big deal?? The maketing should have started on the FT -9 and not the Ft-5, I agree the price was out of control last year on a driver head that was going to be replaced in 12 mos. Now the FT-9 will be out for two years I think more people would be interested, especially the prices they have gone wit hthis year. I personally look at GG as a large retail shop now, very little specific items anymore to streamline for me, there are way better shops on the internet and across the country. And as far as the sales people they may not make money on sales, they sure push some products more than others. (they get corporate incentives is the reason)

The store manager I was speaking to has been at this GG for over a year and prior to that he was at another GG in Georgia (I think). I wasn't trying to spread miscommunication as you call it, just sending out some information that I got from a GG source.

I do not mean to come down on yourself, but on this same forum yesterday I saw a rep from GG mentioned to somebody that a reg shaft would create a Draw when from the sounds of it that person should have got a stiff shaft. I go to GG all the time and am friends with most of them, but there are the ones that you hear or see that are clueless maybe your GG person has been there awhile and knows alot, but on this subjest he is dead wrong! As matter of fact I called the GG contact I have and they are delayed in shipping, Cally sent out first orders and are on back order now, they did no anticipate such a demand on these heads. So I am sorry if i offended yourself, did not mean to.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

So assuming I-Mix is here to stay and will further develop the adapter to allow for changes in face angle etc. What do you all think they will do for those of us who have the current setup where we can't adjust the face?

Some companies would do nothing, letting the consumers be stuck with what they have already bought.

But knowing Callaway's excellent customer service I would think they would let the I-mix customers that want a new adjustable tip (given that it is going to be made in the future) be able to trade in their old shafts for a same shaft with the new tip either at no cost or for a small up-charge fee.

Personally I haven't decided if I would want to be able to change loft, lie, and face angles enough to warrant myself to upgrade the shafts. I'm sure adjustable tips are in the near future to compete with the new R9. Callaway engineers surely have already thought about it years ago.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

Well, sad to report, another strike against I-Mix today. I was at my local Edwin Watts and they said they weren't going to carry it either! How are they going to grow the I-Mix technology if they can't get the largest retailers in the nation to carry them?! I'm really sort of worried about it now. I'm wondering if Cally might scrap it and redevelop something new that they can re-launch? You can say what you want about I-Mix being the future for Cally, but the bottom line is that is 2 major retailers who aren't even carrying it! I'm worried.

I purchased a FT9 from Edwin Watts last week in Orlando. They had about every possible head, and the new shafts....in stock and on display.

That's interesting, must be a store decision on whether they carry it or not. I was at the one in Nashville today talking with the store manager and he said they weren't carrying it and they didn't have a head or any shafts in site. I did notice they have the new fitting cart with the I-Mix technology though.