Starting to get the bug again - played in the second tourney of the year which was a 4-ball invitational at a really fun and pure course here in OC. We signed up thinking it was going to be a pretty mellow field but turns out there were some really serious amateur teams. The "horse race" was comprised of the 10 lowest combined indexes which added up to a +37. Our team was a +1 and we were about 4 spots out of the top 10. My partner and I have probably played the least amount of golf this year for both of us, we knew we were going to be really rusty but if somehow we both got hot, could go low.

Unfortunately, that never happened :) The first day we played absolutely horrible and fought to get it back under par. The second day, I actually played really well and ended up at even par. My putter was amazing and short game was on, my driver was absolutely terrible both days. First day with the Epic was one of the worst days driving I've had in a while, second day I put the GBB 8.5 in and it was better but still not good.

I had a lesson last week to see what's going on since it was at least a year before my last lesson and I've had surgery on my hand in between, I just wasn't able to remedy anything on the course or adjust to anything when hitting it bad. The lesson helped tremendously, but in tourney conditions with tight tree lined fairways, I wasn't able to swing as freely as I wish I could. The difference from my good to bad shots felt like the guy topping the drive into the gallery on the left to the good feeling like Tiger :) Either way, I think my swing has changed enough to where my Callaway setup is no longer a good fit.

Tournament was amazing, here are some pics - 1920 course, Billy Bell design, bent greens, immaculate conditions, fast becoming one of my favorite tracks in So.Cal.

Jewel2.jpg

Jewel3.jpg

Jewel1.jpg

Callaway stuff will hit the BST soon - going to test the 917D3 and M1, probably with the Atmos or shafts I have on hand. I do want new irons, nothing is really that exciting to me over the past few years. The M4 seems very similar to whatever else TM has put out, the Rogue looks somewhat cool, every time I play a tight tree lined course, I always feel like I need to go back to Titleist, they always go so straight but not quite as long.

Going to tinker with some things and will report back :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay - gonna strike while the iron is hot and all of this is fresh in my mind. Old school WRX level of detail.. here we go  🙂   Conditions were great, grass was pure, and using new range bal

I'll catch you up to speed since you've been out of the game for a minute   TM - went out of business Ping - No more golf, lacrosse only. Cally - Only makes juniors clubs Titl

A little nostalgia.. here we go again for 2021          

Posted Images

Starting to get the bug again - played in the second tourney of the year which was a 4-ball invitational at a really fun and pure course here in OC. We signed up thinking it was going to be a pretty mellow field but turns out there were some really serious amateur teams. The "horse race" was comprised of the 10 lowest combined indexes which added up to a +37. Our team was a +1 and we were about 4 spots out of the top 10. My partner and I have probably played the least amount of golf this year for both of us, we knew we were going to be really rusty but if somehow we both got hot, could go low.

Unfortunately, that never happened :) The first day we played absolutely horrible and fought to get it back under par. The second day, I actually played really well and ended up at even par. My putter was amazing and short game was on, my driver was absolutely terrible both days. First day with the Epic was one of the worst days driving I've had in a while, second day I put the GBB 8.5 in and it was better but still not good.

I had a lesson last week to see what's going on since it was at least a year before my last lesson and I've had surgery on my hand in between, I just wasn't able to remedy anything on the course or adjust to anything when hitting it bad. The lesson helped tremendously, but in tourney conditions with tight tree lined fairways, I wasn't able to swing as freely as I wish I could. The difference from my good to bad shots felt like the guy topping the drive into the gallery on the left to the good feeling like Tiger :) Either way, I think my swing has changed enough to where my Callaway setup is no longer a good fit.

Tournament was amazing, here are some pics - 1920 course, Billy Bell design, bent greens, immaculate conditions, fast becoming one of my favorite tracks in So.Cal.

Callaway stuff will hit the BST soon - going to test the 917D3 and M1, probably with the Atmos or shafts I have on hand. I do want new irons, nothing is really that exciting to me over the past few years. The M4 seems very similar to whatever else TM has put out, the Rogue looks somewhat cool, every time I play a tight tree lined course, I always feel like I need to go back to Titleist, they always go so straight but not quite as long.

Going to tinker with some things and will report back :)

Get a hold of Mike T and have him make you a set of blades. Wedges look awesome.......same for the putters under development.

TaylorMade M2 10.5[sup][size=2]o[/size][/sup] / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Nike Vr Pro Ltd. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
Callaway Apex 3/20[sup]o [/sup]/ UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23[sup]o [/sup]/ UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
Nike Engage 58 DS / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike SV Tour 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Origin B2-01
Nike RZN Tour Black

I’m with Quickfeet!

You want straight? There’s nothing straighter than the G400/G400LST

Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
Nike 006 Rory Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
TP5x Pix

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Get a hold of Mike T and have him make you a set of blades. Wedges look awesome.......same for the putters under development.

Quit it QF.. another rabbit hole I'm trying to avoid :tongue:

I'm with Quickfeet!

You want straight? There's nothing straighter than the G400/G400LST

I really.. really.. really don't like Ping or their drivers, but I've heard rave reviews about this one even from fellow non-Ping fans. One of my most non-biased friends with his own Trackman who tinkers more than anyone I know said this is one of the best drivers he's tested.

Will you go back to steel shafts in your irons and wedges, or keep the graphite shafts?

Right now the graphites are staying strong - really love them to be honest. I don't see any consistency issues with distance and trajectory, so far they will be staying. If I did go back to steel, it would have to be something lighter with sensicore.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I’m sure you’ve read it a million times but they did fix two of the three issues, sounds better, feels better, up to you if it looks better it’s still pretty weird. Something else that turns you off of ping? I always thought it was an old mans brand and still won’t hit anything else in their line for some reason. Although thinking back the i3 and the Tisi or whatever it was were popular irons and woods with the better players in my area.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I hate ping but the new G400 is a beast for sure!

WITB 8/5/20
Driver: Taylormade SIM W/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 TOUR W/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X
3 Iron: PXG 0311X GEN 2 W/ KBS TOUR HYBRID PROTOTYPE 95X
4 iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB W/ Project X LZ 6.5
5-PW:  Mizuno MP-20 MMC W/ Project X LZ 6.5

50,54,60: Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW W/ Onix Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 34"
Grips: Standard Golf Pride ZGrip Cord (Logo Down) +1 Wrap
Ball: Taylormade TP5x 
Bag: 2018 Navy/ Grey Ping Hoofer Lite 

I'm sure you've read it a million times but they did fix two of the three issues, sounds better, feels better, up to you if it looks better it's still pretty weird. Something else that turns you off of ping? I always thought it was an old mans brand and still won't hit anything else in their line for some reason. Although thinking back the i3 and the Tisi or whatever it was were popular irons and woods with the better players in my area.

I've hit one that was not to my spec just to hit it since it's really hyped on here and I've heard a few people in real life talk about it. Not sure what it is about Ping, but I just never have really loved their products when compared to everything else that was on the market - could just be timing too. I remember trying the irons and wedges back when the S57's came out but ended up going back to Mizuno's. Come to think about it, every time I've considered them, there has been something much better or more appealing than Ping (to me). I think regarding the driver, it took them a while just to come up with an adjustable driver and at that time I was already liking the 910, SLDR, M1, R1, you get the point. Now, I just think the driver is hideous, honestly and am starting to hit a point of diminishing returns on equipment and my time spent tinkering. Out here there is not a lot of Ping in play, unless it's a TOP amateur that's on some sort of staff/collegiate program or someone who is on tour staff.

Back to my tinkering.. I'm going with the 917 D3 and F3 based on my TPI settings with Amos Black 7tx/8tx. If I don't like them, I'm going to do a full driver fitting and report back.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Soooo...

917 D3 and F3 are built with the Atmos Black.. the results on the range were night and day from what I've been seeing with the Epic. Kind of like riding an old bike :)

I took the info from my TPI fitting and what my fitter said when the 917's were first going to get released and went with that. Thank goodness it seems to have worked out. I'm playing tomorrow and hopefully a few more times over Thanksgiving - but on the range I am SOOO happy with what I saw. It felt good to see bad swings go so straight and didn't feel like I was working too hard to hit it either. The Atmos is a great fit so far in that head compared to the Epic. Trust me, the 917 is probably the most boring club on the market, but it just works for me. For some reason I always seem to find the center of the face more with the Titleist drivers, it's always been that way. They've always lacked BS and distance, but the 917 seems to be pretty good from what I saw at the range.

I'll update tomorrow after I have it on the course, but man.. 4 days too late from making this switch. Good for good it's probably 20+ behind the Epic, but overall dispersion with fairways hit is probably a huge difference in favor of the 917.

One this I liked is how anti-left the F3 is. The Epic SZ 3 wood for me had a really bad left miss, that always seemed to creep up at the wrong times. I've been losing so many shots off the tee recently that if the 917 can be as good as it looked on the range today, I might have some of my game back :)

Anyways... happy thoughts. :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

20 yards can be tough to swallow but if you can hit in the fairway with consistency, then I bet that benefits you, as a good player, much more than 20 yards on a bomb, you know? Reading your thoughts on the 917, and talking to issacbm about his experience with the 917 has me looking at one. Fitting on Dec 21st.

Play well and happy turkey day to you and the fam!

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set @ 19* evenflow 6.5

Mizuno MP 67 3&4, mp33 5-pw TI X100

scratch  54 & 60
Cleveland TA milled 1i

20 yards can be tough to swallow but if you can hit in the fairway with consistency, then I bet that benefits you, as a good player, much more than 20 yards on a bomb, you know? Reading your thoughts on the 917, and talking to issacbm about his experience with the 917 has me looking at one. Fitting on Dec 21st.

Play well and happy turkey day to you and the fam!

Thanks Mark. I'll keep you posted after tomorrow.. I'll know more about distances then, based on what I saw today, the 917 definitely didn't look short and if anything looked pretty long but didn't want to say anything about distance till I can prove it. The ball flight was just so stupid straight I almost don't believe it. I just compared the 917 to the old man cologne my father in law wears when explaining how "not cool" Titleist woods are. :tongue:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Dude, as long as it looks good to you, no one cares. Do the woods go where they’re supposed to? Sold. I just went back to my G 3w from the M2 DF. Good for good the DF is absurdly long, definitely has the edge. Unfortunately I was terribly inconsistent with it. The G is easy to launch off the deck, is long enough, and it’s super consistent.

I’m convinced for my game, slower speed, etc, nothing is going to be more than 10 yards either way if they’re both properly fit.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Ping Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Tour Proto 85 (X)
Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Titleist is so classic though! How were things out there with the 917 today?

I know it's peanuts compared to your driver shootouts but I've spent well over a G in the used driver market trying to kick this 915 out of the bag for the past 2 years or so.

There have been more than a few others that were longer...some quite a bit longer (i.e., LTD, M1 and M2), but none that have had the distance dispersion combo of the Titleist. I am leaving yards on the table for sure, but it beats being puckered up and stressed out over every tee ball and then having to either punch out of the trees or taking penalties a few times a rd.

g400max 9*- [b]rogue 125 60tx[/b]
[b]m2 tour 15.8*[/b] - ad gp-8x
m2 tour 19.8* - [b]diamana s 83x[/b]
[b]4-gw ap1 712[/b] - s300's
[b]mp-t10[/b] 56.10 - s300
[b]tvd 60m[/b] - ti s400
piretti potenza ii [b]365g[/b] 34"

Dude, as long as it looks good to you, no one cares. Do the woods go where they're supposed to? Sold. I just went back to my G 3w from the M2 DF. Good for good the DF is absurdly long, definitely has the edge. Unfortunately I was terribly inconsistent with it. The G is easy to launch off the deck, is long enough, and it's super consistent.

I'm convinced for my game, slower speed, etc, nothing is going to be more than 10 yards either way if they're both properly fit.

F3 was money, but F2 is not out of the picture for the reasons you listed. Just send me the bill for your tool box putter when you're done :)

Titleist is so classic though! How were things out there with the 917 today?

I know it's peanuts compared to your driver shootouts but I've spent well over a G in the used driver market trying to kick this 915 out of the bag for the past 2 years or so.

There have been more than a few others that were longer...some quite a bit longer (i.e., LTD, M1 and M2), but none that have had the distance dispersion combo of the Titleist. I am leaving yards on the table for sure, but it beats being puckered up and stressed out over every tee ball and then having to either punch out of the trees or taking penalties a few times a rd.

917 was bad on the front 9, but it wasn't the driver. We also played the back tees which I haven't played in a while and it was pretty windy, so I was tight and fell back to trying to steer it. Back 9 was a different story, hit the ball great, the driver was solid and the 3 wood was good, definitely way more fade biased than the Epic SZ 3 wood, so I need some reps with them to get comfortable on the course. Overall, misses were better and I liked what I saw. I need to play the course again from the blues which we've been playing a lot because all club tourneys are blue. On the range the 917's make me feel like Adam Scott, just need it to translate to the course, but I know it's there so that's good just seeing it repeat itself.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Dude, as long as it looks good to you, no one cares. Do the woods go where they're supposed to? Sold. I just went back to my G 3w from the M2 DF. Good for good the DF is absurdly long, definitely has the edge. Unfortunately I was terribly inconsistent with it. The G is easy to launch off the deck, is long enough, and it's super consistent.

I'm convinced for my game, slower speed, etc, nothing is going to be more than 10 yards either way if they're both properly fit.

F3 was money, but F2 is not out of the picture for the reasons you listed. Just send me the bill for your tool box putter when you're done :)

I’ve been filling it up lately. Starting to act like I deserve such a sweet putter lol.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Ping Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Tour Proto 85 (X)
Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I’ve been filling it up lately. Starting to act like I deserve such a sweet putter lol.

Good things happen to good people :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

That stinks, that the 917 is working out. ;) I was hoping for a 2018 ( M3/M4, Rogue, G400LST, F8+, 917, and anything else that might tickle your fancy) driver shoot out.

Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
Nike 006 Rory Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
TP5x Pix

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That stinks, that the 917 is working out. ;) I was hoping for a 2018 ( M3/M4, Rogue, G400LST, F8+, 917, and anything else that might tickle your fancy) driver shoot out.

Give the guy a break he's coming off an injury and learning to play Dad golf. He will come full circle when the rest of his foursome is 20yds ahead every fairway.

Trust the process :smilie_cally: :smilie_tm:

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

The Browns have a better chance of making the playoffs then Callaway does of sniffing the bag.

:taunt:

Dang - so.. not sure about distance yet on the 917. Good for good, guys I'm usually 15+ past I was neck and neck with on a hole, and then on certain shots with forced carries, the 917 was every bit as long as the Epic. I haven't had the 917 on Trackman at all, just going off on course results so I'm not 100% sure what it's doing. I do know that my scores have been dropping tremendously after a lesson and swap to 917. The 917 is insanely straight for me and has brought back my confidence with the driver, I also seem to find the middle of the face more often with it. My ego does like to get maximum distance out of a well struck drive, but after a few rounds I'm really liking the 917. Also really liking the 917 F3 which is very right biased even on A1. I've got the D3 in the A1 setting as well and so far very happy with what I've been seeing. Also realizing how devastating the left miss is with the Epic, especially in the 3 wood, without having someone who knows what they're doing with hot melt, I found it very hard to get it fade biased (for me).

Few rounds after my lesson have been: 79T, 71T, 79, 71, 73 with the last two rounds with the 917. Getting my game back slowly, feels good, starting to enjoy golfing again.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Dang - so.. not sure about distance yet on the 917. Good for good, guys I'm usually 15+ past I was neck and neck with on a hole, and then on certain shots with forced carries, the 917 was every bit as long as the Epic. I haven't had the 917 on Trackman at all, just going off on course results so I'm not 100% sure what it's doing. I do know that my scores have been dropping tremendously after a lesson and swap to 917. The 917 is insanely straight for me and has brought back my confidence with the driver, I also seem to find the middle of the face more often with it. My ego does like to get maximum distance out of a well struck drive, but after a few rounds I'm really liking the 917. Also really liking the 917 F3 which is very right biased even on A1. I've got the D3 in the A1 setting as well and so far very happy with what I've been seeing. Also realizing how devastating the left miss is with the Epic, especially in the 3 wood, without having someone who knows what they're doing with hot melt, I found it very hard to get it fade biased (for me).

Few rounds after my lesson have been: 79T, 71T, 79, 71, 73 with the last two rounds with the 917. Getting my game back slowly, feels good, starting to enjoy golfing again.

I've used a 917 d3 all year, and the best way to describe it is no surprises. No weird misses, very predictable, never confused by anything it does. Might not have the oddball 15 extra-yard bomb that an m1/m2/epic can give you but never has that bizarre miss I seem to get with everything else.

I've used a 917 d3 all year, and the best way to describe it is no surprises. No weird misses, very predictable, never confused by anything it does. Might not have the oddball 15 extra-yard bomb that an m1/m2/epic can give you but never has that bizarre miss I seem to get with everything else.

Yeah I agree - only thing that threw me off was I was neck and neck with a 10/10 drive for me with a buddy who also switched to the 917 from the '17 M1. I'm attributing it do fairway conditions and better bounce than mine, but as you probably do, I definitely benchmark driver distance against regular playing partners. I've also witnessed one setting picking up 10 yards at TPI, so I think I might be getting greedy with the 917 :tongue:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

The question for all eternity - Is golf more fun playing from the fairway or further up the hole in the rough? I think the answer is both depending on recent scores and or boredom. When i can't sniff a fairway for rounds on end i always end up building some short and heavy setup that is a miracle for 2 or 3 rounds before it all goes to hell.