• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay - gonna strike while the iron is hot and all of this is fresh in my mind. Old school WRX level of detail.. here we go  🙂   Conditions were great, grass was pure, and using new range bal

I'll catch you up to speed since you've been out of the game for a minute   TM - went out of business Ping - No more golf, lacrosse only. Cally - Only makes juniors clubs Titl

A little nostalgia.. here we go again for 2021          

Posted Images

6 hours ago, beaney said:

Great to see you so happy with what are clearly very good results with the PXG. 

As for payment, just tell yourself that they’re a good investment, that you’ll never buy another set, and that it’s been a difficult year with Covid so you deserve a treat! Simples. 

I like that thought process! haha!

If anyone is interested, I just listed my Miura's in the BST.  🍻

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Are you committing or holding fire until Srixon is available next week?  I’ve hit the new Srixon line quite a few times - best feeling clubs I’ve ever hit with Modus 105 and 120 shafts and their loft progression is perfect for my dwindling swing speed.

Having said that, I suspect you might find the top line a little chunky and the lofts a touch strong...

Looking forward to the woods installment.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

1 hour ago, Pure745 said:

And....... they gone!  

Not a big fan of the looks, but can't argue with the results of the PXGs. I agree Steelfiber shafts feel great even weighing 20 grams less than the X100. 

Excited for the woods. I'm going to bet a Ventus shaft will make the bag.

• Like 1

TM SIM 9* Aldila Rogue White 70TX 
TM M3 15* Aldila Tour Blue 95TX
TM P790 3, 2014 MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG T.I. X100
TM MG 52, 56 Hi-Toe 60 DG T.I. Onyx S400
TM Spider Tour Black

3 hours ago, RyanBarathWRX said:

heeee's BACK!!!!

What a fantastically in depth review, thanks PURE

Man.. I leave for 2 years and you've got a new screen name, badge, and avatar?!  Mr. Official now! 🍻🍻

1 hour ago, Aviador Naval said:

Are you committing or holding fire until Srixon is available next week?  I’ve hit the new Srixon line quite a few times - best feeling clubs I’ve ever hit with Modus 105 and 120 shafts and their loft progression is perfect for my dwindling swing speed.

Having said that, I suspect you might find the top line a little chunky and the lofts a touch strong...

Looking forward to the woods installment.

Committed to the PXG's today.  We were going to take the winner and put it up against the Srixons, but at the end the results were so good, that neither of us thought it would be worth the wait.  The fitter had seen/hit them and said not worth the wait vs. what we saw and taking input on my feedback on the other irons I tried.  I may still hit them vs. my PXG's just to see how they do purely for reporting back to WRX and I'll also be testing the Honma's this weekend since my Miura's sold and I'm lucky enough to have some great friends with nice backup sets 🙂

I am very excited to see how the woods do.. great seeing you on here 🍻

• Like 3

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

5 hours ago, Pure745 said:

You’re welcome. I find that the process also works for watches, cars and bikes.......it’s very adaptable!

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

On 1/6/2021 at 10:18 AM, Pure745 said:

Okay - gonna strike while the iron is hot and all of this is fresh in my mind. Old school WRX level of detail.. here we go  🙂

Conditions were great, grass was pure, and using new range balls (not premium). About a constant 10 mph wind in and off the right. I'm not sure if the Trackman information is normalized, I think it is.

Heads - see picture above.

• Did not try the Srixons, have the option to in 1 week, Honma not tested

Shafts - MMT 125x and SF 110x. I want to stay graphite but if we weren't getting the result we wanted, we were going to look into lighter steel.

On to the data....   :partytime2:

My current set, Miura 501 with X100 - like I mentioned earlier, I've just started playing enough to notice trends in misses and that 6iron and up, could use some help in forgiveness and turf interaction. Also, my misses really jar my elbow and basically can ruin my round with annoying pain (golfer's elbow). Once I feel it come on, my swing is tentative, and basically scared to fully release the club.. kind of a snowball effect. When I'm hitting the ball well, these are about as good as it gets. Especially the low irons, you can make the ball do whatever you want on a good ballstriking day. On a bad day, we'll use an example relevant to my trackman data - say my 6 iron goes 195 in the air when hit well, if you look at the graph and my misses and distances sacrificed on thin/offcenter.. that is the different between a birdie putt and dropping hitting 4. This scenario pretty much sums up my scores.. slightly under par to 84 - not a fun way to golf.

Miura Data:

There is a 10 yard (or more) difference from hitting the middle to slightly off.. out of this grouping, I hit 2 perfectly.. one was a slight pull hook (way off target) which skewed these numbers.. you will see later when I show the doppler comparison to the winner.

1609899672-682894-screen-shot-2021-01-05-at-60314-pm.png

<Typing Intermission>  🥶

There were TWO clear favorites here which I will show the charts below and those were the PXG 0311T and the Titleist T100. The shaft was also a shocker.. the SF110X was WAAAAAAY better than the MMT for me. I'm not sure if it was the weight or what but the first shot I hit with the SF was flushed and it never stopped.

I don't say this lightly - but the PXG and T100 with SF110 are game changing for me. This was one of the most "wow" fitting sessions I have had, and I have had a lot. I'll get my thoughts on the "others" before focusing on the final 2 below.

Callaway CB: Really nice, feels great, performance was decent, but just not close to the other two. Callaway irons for me have been underwhelming since the original XForged. Overall, solid iron, wouldn't game it.

Titleist CB: beautiful club, performs well, overall would game in a second, but compared to the T100 and PXG, unnecessarily hard to hit compared and not sure much easier than the 501, maybe just a bit.

TM MC definitely the prettiest looking in the bag (aside from Miura), the way the offset/neck/topline transition looks really weird to my eye. They did not feel that good at all - compared to the PXG which felt like hitting a marshmallow, these were not that great at all, if you handed me a set not in a fitting, would love these.. side by side.. meh.. If I was a TM guy, I'd rock these.

Mizuno decent, nothing crazy.

On to the final two - PXG 0311T and Titleist T100

Dispersion chart - note the variation of right/left and also distance with each club grouping compared to each other. Look at the top left balls with the Miura compared to short right.. that is exactly what needs to be minimized for my game and scoring:

1609900493-643195-screen-shot-2021-01-05-at-60144-pm.png

Titleist:

1609900522-921641-screen-shot-2021-01-05-at-60233-pm.png

PXG:

1609900534-133816-screen-shot-2021-01-05-at-60240-pm.png

Winner? PXG 0311T GEN3

So leaving the fitting, the T100 and PXG were SO close to each other that it came down to a few smaller things that add up. My reviews have always taken data + the sum of all smaller details that = the overall performance and enjoyment of what I'm using. I have caught flack for that in the past, but that's how I pick clubs - the Trackman can't find everything and I'm a FIRM believer of outdoor Trackman fittings. They leave very little room for variation from what you see in a fitting vs. on course. This has been proven to me over a long period of time and Cool Clubs has been very consistent for me.

I just saw the data up close and it looks like the T100 is actually better on Trackman. However, the one thing I didn't like was the random nuked ball with 501's and the T100 did it a few times. I'm not complaining about more distance, but if you look at the PXG, it was solid the entire time, even my bad shots got improvement when my "nuked" shots were predictable. So that was one factor..

The second factor was that the PXG's feel like you are hitting marshmallows.. nothing else to say, they feel insanely good with the SF.  The T100's feel "good", the PXG's feel amazing.  They are both such good irons setup with that SF shaft for me - that I can't say much else other than how much I liked both.

I'm pretty excited about this.. not kidding when I say I haven't hit this many pure shots in a row (PXG and Titleist) in a really long time and to get through this fitting pain free was major.

MMT vs. SF - forgot to touch on this more. I tried them in the PXG and Titleist and quickly moved on from them and kept with the SF. The MMT feels like a graphite shaft.. inconsistent load, just felt weird. Keep in mind I'm a lifetime X100 player, the SF was an EASY transition. Felt more like a steel shaft in the way it loaded but without the vibrations.

I haven't finalized my order, but looking like PXG 0311T Gen3 4-P, PXG forged 50 and 55, SM8 Raw 60 (whichever grind is closest the the V) - was toying with adding the 0311P in the 4 iron.. but not sure yet.

Great fitting review 👍🏽
Knew once you hit the Gen3 that would be your irons including the wedge setup!

• Like 1

Callaway TOUR Epic Flash TD 9.5 - Testing..
Testing - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
PXG 0317X Gen2 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 - GD Tour AD DI 95X
PXG 0311P Gen3 4 - Modus LE 115x
PXG 0311ST  - 5-9 - Modus LE 115X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy" 46,50,54 - DG TI S400
Vokey Slate Blue 60K- DG TI S400 Onyx
PXG One & Done

So testing this filthy combo set for a week or so.. 🙂

3i - TR21x
4-7i - TR20V
8-10i - TR20B
Honma wedges

Shafts are the Vizard 100x 

Not sure if anyone follows my instagram but this is the exact setup I was thinking about getting vs. PXG before I decided to actually get fit.  I'll be able to write up a pretty solid comparison and it will be interesting to see how these do.

I didn't expect to be as "wowed" by these in person, but man, in the bag, they are GORGEOUS!  At address they look really clean and match the in bag look.  I'll be hitting them today on the course so I can comment further.

IMG_3446.jpg.6151112ab76ea117686f236489e26239.jpg

• Like 4

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Wow nice!

Are you using the GFore Sunday bag or Daytona?

wish I could find a black Daytona.

Callaway TOUR Epic Flash TD 9.5 - Testing..
Testing - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
PXG 0317X Gen2 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 - GD Tour AD DI 95X
PXG 0311P Gen3 4 - Modus LE 115x
PXG 0311ST  - 5-9 - Modus LE 115X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy" 46,50,54 - DG TI S400
Vokey Slate Blue 60K- DG TI S400 Onyx
PXG One & Done

Honma update:

I think the star of the show is the TR20V (players CB), for whatever reason, I love the slightly thicker look - which is weird coming from a blade purist. I think the slightly thicker profile makes the overall shape look better. The blades are gorgeous, but slightly a little rounder in the short iron.. kind of like how the old Mizuno MP irons were perfection 5-7 iron.. then when you got down to the 9 and P they looked round and weird.

The Vizard 100 is a solid "stock" offered shaft. It definitely feels "graphite" (ie. Fuji Pro, MMT), dispersion is surprisingly good. The overall feel is great, but don't shoot me, NOT as good as the PXG/Steelfiber. I can't believe I just typed that.. but I need to get the PXG on course to really say for sure. In 2 rounds fresh out of the wrapper, I have hit some insanely good shots and am very happy with this set. They could stay in the bag now and be better than the Miura's (mainly due to how good the V's are in the mid irons) - but not as good as the PXG, again waiting for my actual set to compare.

21X 3iron - low spin, knuckle balls.. amazing as a driving iron, not so great if you are trying to hold a green. Incredibly good looking compared to other driving irons I have hit.

20V (CB): I would place these between the T100 and 620CB, a home run of a set. These in SF vs. the T100 and PXG would be interesting. Looks, feel, performance are up there - would highly recommend.

20B (MB): Definitely an MB, slightly larger and rounder profile. Very playable, especially with graphite for me. I think the new CB's are so good that, for me, I'd only play them up to an 8 iron. They are very workable even with the graphite, you can go up higher maybe 6-7 iron, but at that point I would strongly recommend that 20V.

Wedges.. meh. the 50, 54 are good, the 58, I'm just used to Vokey.

Looks: 11/10.. they look SO GOOD. In bag and address.

Brand: Honma is very hit or miss.. I think they've missed the "cool factor" mark a bit - but regardless, anyone know knows anything will appreciate what these clubs are. If you're bored with the revolving door of big OEM releases and the frequency of rebranded and marketed similar clubs.. I would urge you to hit these.

I might take more detailed pictures of these to show - I think this set is good enough where it would be worth sharing more details.

• Like 3

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Honma makes a great forged iron with a more squared toe section like other JDM brands. Love the look and why I play them myself.   

Hope the pxg’s performance translates from fitting to course for ya 👍

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

Eager to read the PXG update.  Honmas seem to be very solid though.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

At one point didn't you have PXG? And loved them as well. I feel like with the PXG its a temporary club or an in between club till you find what you want. I saw you hit the Mizuno, why not try the 921 Tour?  Not sure if you hit them already. 

~2021 Bag~

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3

TaylorMade SIM Hybrid 19 Degree

TaylorMade P-7MC 4-W  

TaylorMade 50,55,60 MG2 Wedges

TaylorMade SPYDER RED

TaylorMade TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on the new sticks?  Cheers...

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Hi Tai - I've been gone for probably 3 years from GolfWRX.  I don't really play golf anymore - just got busy with other stuff.  Anyway, thought I'd look for your WITB.  Don't care about your clubs, but hope your family is well ... the last time I was on here, I think you were expecting your first child.  Hope all is well.  Mark

• Like 3

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Welcome back Mark. Good to see you hangin' aound again.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

6 hours ago, Titleist-Golfer said:

Hi Tai - I've been gone for probably 3 years from GolfWRX.  I don't really play golf anymore - just got busy with other stuff.  Anyway, thought I'd look for your WITB.  Don't care about your clubs, but hope your family is well ... the last time I was on here, I think you were expecting your first child.  Hope all is well.  Mark

don't play golf anymore? Hope this never happens in my life.

• Haha 1

Curious if you could comment on if the steelfibers are "graphite enough" feeling as ive been struggling with left wrist/elbow issue and am looking to move from steel to graphite. I have been considering MMT or Fuji pro but not looking to invest fully without testing first and MMTS are so hard to find already set up in the 125 version. Also concerned about the fuji pro being reverse weighted since they are .370 blanks. 

any comments you guys have on how all the different shafts feel and how they are for tendon issues. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

how did this thread stall out?  Let's see the new PXG's?

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5* (-1* flat)  w/ Atmos Tour Spec Black 5x

3-wood: TaylorMade Ping G425 Max 14.5* (+1* flat) w/ Atmos Tour Spec Black 6x

Hybrid:  Ping G30 #3 w/ Tour AD DI 8x

Irons: Srixon z745/z545 irons w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour105 x

Wedges:  Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 54*, Vokey SM8 58T raw  

Putter: Ping PLD DS-72 putter

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star 

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:52 PM, Titleist+2 said:

Curious if you could comment on if the steelfibers are "graphite enough" feeling as ive been struggling with left wrist/elbow issue and am looking to move from steel to graphite. I have been considering MMT or Fuji pro but not looking to invest fully without testing first and MMTS are so hard to find already set up in the 125 version. Also concerned about the fuji pro being reverse weighted since they are .370 blanks. 

any comments you guys have on how all the different shafts feel and how they are for tendon issues. thanks

Not to hijack, but for me yes.  I used to get terrible left wrist, knuckle and some elbow pain.  Now, after going to graphite-I've used SF and Recoil, I have none of those problems and playing even more.  Currently, on SF 95.