I would like to be able to install my own grips and shafts

KeilwerthSX90R

What would I need in terms of machines and money
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I did a couple of searches and couldn't find what I need.

I have non-mainstream iron specs (+1.75" 4up DGSL shafts) so I haven't been able to take as much advantage of the used club market to check out different irons as I would like to because I then need to spend an additional couple hundred dollars getting new shafts. Therefore I was thinking about trying to do it myself.

One thing I am worried about is that I don't have a garage or basement working area, so the setup would need to be semi-movable and I would need to be able to do work in areas that I live in so if there are a lot noxious chemicals and large amount of metal shavings from cutting iron shafts I would need to figure something out.

Secondly, how easy is lie adjustment? I've been with a PGA Pro while he was working on bending a set of irons and I'm technically competent but is it people experience that you may break a few on the first go around?

Lastly, what kind of capital investment would I be looking at? I guess I would need to pull / assist with the install of shafts, a loft lie machine, something to help with grip installation, anything else?

Thanks in advance for your responses, this is yet another reason why this board is such a great resource.

Josh

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I did a couple of searches and couldn't find what I need.

I have non-mainstream iron specs (+1.75" 4up DGSL shafts) so I haven't been able to take as much advantage of the used club market to check out different irons as I would like to because I then need to spend an additional couple hundred dollars getting new shafts. Therefore I was thinking about trying to do it myself.

One thing I am worried about is that I don't have a garage or basement working area, so the setup would need to be semi-movable and I would need to be able to do work in areas that I live in so if there are a lot noxious chemicals and large amount of metal shavings from cutting iron shafts I would need to figure something out.

Secondly, how easy is lie adjustment? I've been with a PGA Pro while he was working on bending a set of irons and I'm technically competent but is it people experience that you may break a few on the first go around?

Lastly, what kind of capital investment would I be looking at? I guess I would need to pull / assist with the install of shafts, a loft lie machine, something to help with grip installation, anything else?

Thanks in advance for your responses, this is yet another reason why this board is such a great resource.

Josh

Short and sweet, I'd recommend to only try the grips and making swingweight adjustments, especially if you don't have a work area. Machines that adjust lie, at least the ones I have seen, are pretty big and costly. You can probably find a place to adjust loft/lie for $5 per club, and at most you would do that 2 or 3 times a year, depending on how many times you practice/play.

Now for the grips, that's pretty cheap to set up, and you really don't need much of a setup. I use my kitchen sink, after I clear all the dishes of course, and make sure that I clean up VERY good after I'm done, as I doubt I'd like the taste or hospital visit that would come with consuming solvent. I have this kit

link

That, and the grips, is all you need. An empty spray bottle is also handy to spray on the solvent.

+1.75" on the shafts? That's easy too, steel shaft extensions.

extensions

And then go to your local hardware store and ask for a small pipe cutter, should be no more then $10. You'll also need shafting epoxy to afix the extensions to the inside of the butt of the shafts.

Epoxy

I tried super glue the first time, it didn't work.

The other thing that you can do fairly inexpensively is adjust the swingweight of your clubs. Check out this scale.

SW scale

You'll need that and some lead tape.

Lead Tape

Also, guessing by your specs, you're probably a taller player, and might need a bigger then standard grip. In my limited experience, it's easier to get say a midsize grip, then trying to put a standard grip on with 4 or 5 extra wraps of tape.

Feel free to PM me with questions. Good luck.

shook, thanks for the great advice. The grip kit looks like a great place to start since even on woods where the shaft is fine I do like to change the grip. Also, even though I don't have work area - I do have a laundry room sink that I could do the grips over without worrying about contaminating my dishes.

The only thing about extensions/lead tape is that it is going to make the static weight pretty high. The reason I've reshafted in the past rather than gone the extension route it install DGSL to reduce the static weight. Will the static weight difference be a big problem if I'm strong? Am I correct that SL vs. regular DG doesn't affect the swing weight that much or am I wrong? I definitely will get swing weight scale and lead tape because I don't like swing weight feel that much since I've gone to longer shafts.

I'll also check into the lie angle adjustment costs. The reason I was interested in that is because I need to bend irons upright when I get them and thought it would be cheaper doing it myself but maybe not.

Thanks again,

Josh

Josh,

Adding 1.75" extensions is a bit too much in my opinion. Better to go with new shafts cut to length. I was fitted for clubs that were +1.75", I played them that way for a long while. I decided to cut them down .5" to get a better SW. I find them easier to hit, though my plane has gone a little steeper, the clubs feel better at that length. I have no experience with DGSL, though they pitch that they have the same ball flight as standard DG and the can be built to the same SW as DG. You can get a loft/lie machine from Golfsmith for under $300 (I got mine when they had there annual %50 off sale) I also would get a seperate loft and lie guage for more accurate readings. Bending forged clubs is fairly easy with out much concern for brakeage, however bending chromed clubs too much might damage the finish (wont affect playability). Cast clubs are a different story, going up 5* would be difficult, 1-2* max is what OEM suggest. You can get all your trimming info from here or Golfsmith will do it for you when you purchase shafts from them. There is more to building a set than a torch and some lead weight. It is rewarding though to know that you built the set you play. I have a set of ping I3 o-size in pretty good condition, maroon dot(+5*) the shafts are garbage JZ stiff, so perfect for a reshaft, pm me if your interested. Good luck...

Gavin