Top 10 Persimmon Drivers on your collector's wish list

• 1 month later...

I am not a collector, I just never get rid of a club. I started playing around 1973 or 74. Not a club ho either so nothing new around the house. In no particular order I have the following up in the attic somewhere:

1 set of H & B Powerbilt Citations (mid brown with a 2 wood included)
1 Walter Hagen Ultradyne Laminated with this shaft that has a twist step at the bottom. I loved this driver! But it cracked one day so it became my "house swinger". I might have discarded it.
1 set of Hogan Speed Slot Persimmon.
1 set of Titleist Tour Model Persimmon (light wheat/gold finish) Great set of woods. The 4 or 5 cracked. I was tearing up the finish on the heel side of the Driver's insert so I retired them. I drove the 18th at Prince George Golf Club(Disputanta VA) one day playing behind a Captain's Choice around 1993. The tees were at 333 that day. Wind behind me and a dry fairway. Drove the green with this driver as the tourney awards ceremony was looking on! I beat their best by about 40 yards!
1 set of Titleist Tour Model (Black Finish) in my father's attic. I hope he has not given these away!
1 7 degree 44" shafted Custom made Hatley Heater played on and off throughout the mid 80's. Hard to beat in the Texas wind! Very high tech for time period.
I have some more up in the attic as well. But these are what comes to mind.

On a side note, the wife's grandfather lives in Beaufort, SC. (He still has his arm) He is around 90yrs old and has caddied and played all his life. Everytime we go for a visit he gives me 2 or 3 old clubs. (He is in the downsizing stage of his life) I have some various hickory mashies, niblicks, putters, etc from way back in the day. One putter is a signature model from a guy who won the National Open in 1928 or 29! Johnny Ferell Signature Model.

• 1 year later...

What about the MacGregor Jack Nicklaus model W271, made sometime in the 1960s? Did I miss it when I scanned the submissions above, or are too many of you too young to ever have seen one in captivitiy? 6-screws, red insert, oil hardened, that ever so light tan finish MacGregor was famous for. Some versions of the story go that MacGregor used some of Jack's favorite Armour Drivers as their inspiration, and that Nicklaus even played one while waiting for a suitable replacement for some of the many TAs he cracked over the years.

My best golfing buddy played one in college 40+ years ago--no use trying to talk him out of it. They didn't make many of them: tried to talk a local club pro out of his 35 years ago--no luck. Had given up ever owning until one day when I was making my usual rounds of flea markets and thrift stores and found one well hidden, even disguised: the club originally came with a 'black band' TT Dynamic Stiff (my buddy had an 'X' inserted in his) but some chuckle-head had replaced the steel shaft with an aluminum shaft. Someone had also done a cheap, poor refinishing job on the club, going so far as to all but sand the 'Jack Nicklaus' signature off of the top. But my trained old eyes picked it out--6 screws, red insert, and despite the mottled poly-seal, you can tell it is "a good block of wood." Plunked my $1 on the counter, took it out in the sunlight and read W271 on the sole and could just barely read the 'Jack Nicklaus' signature etched into the top. When I got home, I took the driver and a couple of balls out to the practice net. I'm telling you, even with an 'R' aluminum shaft I could tell those shots were pure! And the crisp, solid, report of a solidly struck ball, unlike today's 'boink' and/or ker-plunk.

So this is my #1 wish list persimmon driver. And yea, it's going to take a lot of rehabbing to restore it, but when it's done, it will still be a 'Knocker' (as the old pro (above) said when referring to this model and other big sticks in the old days) and unlike the Bud-Light-six packs on a stick that the youngin's recyle evey year-or-2 for a new bell or whistle and a 2-yard gain, it will live on.

I already had some other great drivers in my collection:

Penna Rawlings prototype

Crenshaw Haig Ultra

Palmer Peerless Chattanooga densitized P-33 (Great on looks but LOUSY off the tee.)

Penna JS, Black finish (Butt-ugly but GREAT off the tee)

Sorry, no photos (Ol Pard's still technologically challenged),maybe one day. Ya'll play well!

My top 10 Macgregor Driver list would go something like the following:

1. Tommy Armour BJD or BJM. The original Jumbo. The only difference is in the shaft flex. Circa 1940 or 1941.
1a. Any Jumbo. M-09, M-106 Penna, M-108 Armour, George Bayer DX-300, George Bayer Velocitized.
2. Toney Penna WW with,hopefully, a large head. Rare in any model.
3. Ben Hogan BAP with ram's horn slip instead of sole plate. with or without a face insert.
4. Any 693 driver with someone besides Armour stamped on the crown. Hogan, Nelson or Penna or a custom club with another pro's stamp on it. No offense intended to Tommy.
4a. Tommy Armour 693.
5. Any pre-war Tourneys, especially with non-Armour signatures stamped in the crown Model 40's, 2400, IB series, etc
6 945 Eye-o-matic. Jack is still my hero
7. M-85 Eye-o-matic. 5 or 6-screw insert.
7a. Tommy Armour SS-2 Velocitized. One of the best inserts ever.
8. Tommy Armour 653 eye-o-matic.
9. Byron Nelson Texan with clover soleplate.
10. Jack Nicklaus 271. Only 40+ years old. But still a great "new" Mac.
Well, my list looks like ten. But it is probably 20 drivers+. But you probably already know I am a Mac junkie.
I will try to post some pix of the ones I have.
Happy golfing, Bob

I have played many growing up. Was lucky to have the following:
MacGregor M43 My favorite
Cleveland RC75 "The Cleveland"
Cleveland TC15
MacGregor Tommy Armour 693

There are many others but those are the ones I actually played with in college. Miss those clubs.... I still break the Clevelands out once in a while, and still can hit them pretty well.

Line!?!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Ol_Pardner' timestamp='1308811257' post='3329102']
What about the MacGregor Jack Nicklaus model W271, made sometime in the 1960s? Did I miss it when I scanned the submissions above, or are too many of you too young to ever have seen one in captivitiy? 6-screws, red insert, oil hardened, that ever so light tan finish MacGregor was famous for. Some versions of the story go that MacGregor used some of Jack's favorite Armour Drivers as their inspiration, and that Nicklaus even played one while waiting for a suitable replacement for some of the many TAs he cracked over the years.

My best golfing buddy played one in college 40+ years ago--no use trying to talk him out of it. They didn't make many of them: tried to talk a local club pro out of his 35 years ago--no luck. Had given up ever owning until one day when I was making my usual rounds of flea markets and thrift stores and found one well hidden, even disguised: the club originally came with a 'black band' TT Dynamic Stiff (my buddy had an 'X' inserted in his) but some chuckle-head had replaced the steel shaft with an aluminum shaft. Someone had also done a cheap, poor refinishing job on the club, going so far as to all but sand the 'Jack Nicklaus' signature off of the top. But my trained old eyes picked it out--6 screws, red insert, and despite the mottled poly-seal, you can tell it is "a good block of wood." Plunked my $1 on the counter, took it out in the sunlight and read W271 on the sole and could just barely read the 'Jack Nicklaus' signature etched into the top. When I got home, I took the driver and a couple of balls out to the practice net. I'm telling you, even with an 'R' aluminum shaft I could tell those shots were pure! And the crisp, solid, report of a solidly struck ball, unlike today's 'boink' and/or ker-plunk.

So this is my #1 wish list persimmon driver. And yea, it's going to take a lot of rehabbing to restore it, but when it's done, it will still be a 'Knocker' (as the old pro (above) said when referring to this model and other big sticks in the old days) and unlike the Bud-Light-six packs on a stick that the youngin's recyle evey year-or-2 for a new bell or whistle and a 2-yard gain, it will live on.

I already had some other great drivers in my collection:

Penna Rawlings prototype

Crenshaw Haig Ultra

Palmer Peerless Chattanooga densitized P-33 (Great on looks but LOUSY off the tee.)

Penna JS, Black finish (Butt-ugly but GREAT off the tee)

Sorry, no photos (Ol Pard's still technologically challenged),maybe one day. Ya'll play well!
[/quote]

here are five drivers yes i am biased.

Tommy Armour Macgregor driver prototype never made in production 2 inch deep face best example of swan neck I have ever seen

4 Toney Penna drivers each has a label on the shaft in Toney's hand two are extra special because they did not require brass weight screws to meet specs. The wood was dense enough to use aluminum screws

"probable"mod 79

""reference mod 2"" mod1a flex 2 laminated

"possible"mod1 tp1 special black red arrow insert (very difficult to make)

"prospect os"mod 691

CHARLEY PENNA

Rex, nice looking TC15. I always like that driver.

My Favs
50s.
Mac M85, M75, 945, 693 and the Hogan Pro Model

Always like a deep face 80s Hogan driver

And my pear shaped Wood Bros driver. This one was slated to go into Jackie Burke's bag, but rejected it because it sat to square. Prettiest driver I've ever seen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have penna mod 65, JS, 59 and 1 that I have refinished, and a mod original that is in great shape. Also a TC15 driver and hogan '53 commemorative 4-wood and driver. Hogan driver is basically mint. If anything I'd like to add some classic macs, and find some fairway woods that really work for me. I have a bunch of pennas that are good but too light, and a couple hogans with too loose shafts.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my top 12 in manufacturer alphabetical order (Could easily pick 10 nice MacGregors and be done but too many others deserve mention) The Yamaha woods have always seemed especially nice to me:

Cleveland Byron Nelson 68.3
Cleveland Big E Jumbo
Cleveland RC-69
Dunlop Seve Ballesteros Limited
Hiro Honma Big LB
MacGregor M85
MacGregor 693 or 945 (Flip a coin here)
MacGregor SS1W
MacGregor GB1W
Wood Brothers All American or Australian (Flip a coin here)
Yamaha Hal Sutton W-602
Yamaha Y-85

I'm a sucker for beautiful grain in a dark finish with a nice etched autograph across the top so if I had to put them in order, I would start with that as a top criteria and it might be the Yamaha Sutton model.

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

• 4 years later...

There was a club collector/seller/repairman/"tech"/refinisher in Pacifica, CA in the old days (I knew of him from the late 70's) named Al LaValle?. That guy had more good Persimmon drivers than anyone I've ever heard of and he had multiples of all the highly collectible things along with thousands of pro-line clubs of all descriptions. He'd been collecting for years and dozens of the PGA Tour guys were his customers. The really good things he'd get were usually pre-sold before he even did any work on them to some Tour pro. He did work for everyone and when there was a pro tournament anywhere near the Bay Area, you couldn't park anywhere near his home-workshop....everybody knew this guy. His big thing was MacGregor Drivers, 8802's, and Bristol Wizards, all of which were bringing big bucks in Japan in those days. Good original MacGregor drivers were selling for a couple of thousand dollars (in 1970s money!) in Japan, so this was relatively big business for the old guy. We'd go visit him regularly just to hold the clubs in our hands ( many were off-limits though). That's when I became hooked and I had several nice Mac drivers, for playing and for selling/trading. Lots of fun, even before the internet. Seems like Pony Express days then, looking back. How the hell did we get anything done!? We sure had a lot more spare time on our hands, no question about that.

Rex, nice looking TC15. I always like that driver.

My Favs

50s.

Mac M85, M75, 945, 693 and the Hogan Pro Model

Always like a deep face 80s Hogan driver

And my pear shaped Wood Bros driver. This one was slated to go into Jackie Burke's bag, but rejected it because it sat to square. Prettiest driver I've ever seen.

+1! When I started playing better in about '70, the glamour club was that black deep-face Hogan Persimmon Driver. The pro at the club I worked at had one....I was a jealous kid. A few years later I had a beautiful Stan Thompson pear-shaped Persimmon driver, and not what they call "pear" shaped now. It was REALLY pear shaped, and almost came to a point on the toe. It was given to me by my teacher, who played mini tours for years and ended up as the head pro at Silverado.

If you were going to collect 10 persimmon drivers, what would you choose?

I am a MacGregor nut so most of mine are MacGregors from the early to mid 50s, and one from 1941. There is a contemporary wood in the mix as well (as a bonus pick). Here is my list (drivers in bold/underlined are ones I own, bold with no underline are ones I owned but have sold).

1954-1955 MacGregor 945TW

1949-1952 MacGregor 693

1953-1955 MacGregor M85TW

1953-1955 MacGregor M09 LFF

1950-1951 MacGregor M43

1941 MacGregor Tommy Armour HSW 4393

1954 MacGregor Toney Penna WWT

1954-1955 MacGregor Toney Penna TP Special

1953-1955 MacGregor M75TW

1953 MacGregor 945TW

Wood Brothers Texan

I did not own the MacGregor TA HSW (Hogan) 4393 Driver but did own a 3 wood one (regret selling it).

Here is my updated list.

1954-1955 MacGregor 945W

1949-1952 MacGregor 693

1953-1955 MacGregor M85W

1953-1955 MacGregor M09 LFF

1950-1951 MacGregor M43T

1941 MacGregor Tommy Armour HSW 4393

1954-1955 MacGregor Toney Penna TP Special

1953-1955 MacGregor M75TW

1953 MacGregor 945TW

Wood Brothers Texan

I have regained a MacGregor Tommy Armour Ben Hogan model 4393 3 wood (and a 4 wood).

I am now on a quest for the last 3 of the collection including the Unicorn:

1941 MacGregor Tommy Armour Ben Hogan model 4393

1953 MacGregor 945TW

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1) MacGregor Jumbo 693 (1)

2) MacGregor '50-'51 M09 LFF (1)

3) MacGregor '50-'51 M09T LFF (3)

4) MacGregor '52-'53 M09 LFF (1)

5) MacGregor '52-'53 M09T LFF (never seen one)

6) MacGregor '54-'55 M09 LFF (need one)

7) MacGregor '54-'55 M09T LFF (need one)

8) MacGregor '54 WW Special (2 wood)

9) MacGregor '54-'55 TPT Special (driver)

10) MacGregor '54-'55 M85 (3 drivers)

10) MacGregor '54-'55 945TW (driver)

10) MacGregor '50-'51 693 (driver)

10) MacGregor '52-'53 945 red insert (driver)

10) MacGregor SS1W Velocitized (driver)

10) MacGregor Texan Hogan BAP (driver)

10) MacGregor 653 (driver)

10) MacGregor '54-'55 M80 (driver)

10) MacGregor 653 LH (driver)

10) MacGregor 259 TW Nelson (driver)

My MacGregor wish list is pretty complete. I would like to add the 3 LFFs I don't have and fantasize for the WW Special driver & 3,4,5,6 woods that would probably make my list complete.

Nothing drives like a MacGregor! LOVE JUMBO MACS

• 9 months later...

3) MacGregor '50-'51 M09T LFF (3)

5) MacGregor '52-'53 M09T LFF (never seen one)

7) MacGregor '54-'55 M09T LFF (need one)

Nothing drives like a MacGregor! LOVE JUMBO MACS

...what are the main differences between these models? I just found one of them at Goodwill and it appears to be in very good condition or possibly refinished (see below), but it has the original shaft and grip and plays at 43.5". Thank you in advance for your insight -- or to anyone else that cares to chime in!

macgregor-m09t-jumbo-lff-persimmon-driver-image1-581x1024.jpgmacgregor-m09t-jumbo-lff-persimmon-driver-image2-1024x497.jpg

macgregor-m09t-jumbo-lff-persimmon-driver-image3-347x1024.jpgmacgregor-m09t-jumbo-lff-persimmon-driver-image4-300x300.jpgmacgregor-m09t-jumbo-lff-persimmon-driver-image5-300x300.jpg