Top 10 Persimmon Drivers on your collector's wish list

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jiggered, Here are my Harry Busson's and also the Peter Broadbent set (I have 3 other PB drivers and a fairway). The Busson's show their history which I quite like. I will not have these ref

FYI.  To post a video link:  Click "SHARE", copy the embed code, paste into this text box.  

A beautiful collection collection!     Those Bussons are stunning, love the used but cared for look, definitely for high days and holidays play only.   My Peter Broadbent has a red

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Foozle said:

Being UK based I might throw a bit of a curve ball here...

From my collection;

Harry Busson 

Peter Broadbent

MacGregor Tommy Armour 693

MacGregor Tourney M43

Joe Powell Limited Edition

Joe Powell Gleneagles

MacGregor Toney Penna TP1

Toney Penna Mod1

Power Bilt Century HBW84

Paul Gibson

Busson's and Broadbent's were all hand made to order so no model numbers. I have a matched set of Busson's and a number of Broadbent's including a matched set.

So far as i can tell, Paul Gibson's were also one off's. I have a few including what I refer to as "the beast" with a 45" shaft Bryson would be proud off. You would need Bryson's strength to hit it! Attached picture is against a 43" Hogan Apex.

On my wish list would be a MacGregor M85 (I only have repro's), Wood Bros Texan - I have seen brother Fred C's videos! - and a Cleveland Classic. All quite scarce this side of the pond.

Gamers are Ben Hogan Apex, Wilson Staff's and the Penna Mod 1 (just edges my Mod 65).

Some very nice woods you have there!

I started collecting classic clubs too late to have found the best UK makers at a reasonable price.

The only name I have is a Peter Broadbent, and this is what I believe is from a series of 10 which I assume were made for off-the-shelf purchase, I think he did a few such runs.

I'm a poor driver of the ball so it's lucky that my primary interest is in irons, not that I'm a great ball striker with those either!

Top of my list of desirable drivers would be a Harry Busson.

• Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

3 hours ago, Foozle said:

Being UK based I might throw a bit of a curve ball here...

From my collection;

Harry Busson 

Peter Broadbent

MacGregor Tommy Armour 693

MacGregor Tourney M43

Joe Powell Limited Edition

Joe Powell Gleneagles

MacGregor Toney Penna TP1

Toney Penna Mod1

Power Bilt Century HBW84

Paul Gibson

Busson's and Broadbent's were all hand made to order so no model numbers. I have a matched set of Busson's and a number of Broadbent's including a matched set.

So far as i can tell, Paul Gibson's were also one off's. I have a few including what I refer to as "the beast" with a 45" shaft Bryson would be proud off. You would need Bryson's strength to hit it! Attached picture is against a 43" Hogan Apex.

On my wish list would be a MacGregor M85 (I only have repro's), Wood Bros Texan - I have seen brother Fred C's videos! - and a Cleveland Classic. All quite scarce this side of the pond.

Gamers are Ben Hogan Apex, Wilson Staff's and the Penna Mod 1 (just edges my Mod 65).

WP_20190725_004.jpg

My problem is I really know MacGregor history and what the great woods are and what are not.  I am fairly ignorant regarding PowerBilt, Wilson, Spalding, Hogan and others.  I have a little knowledge about Hogans but I am pretty much a MacGregor aficionado.  There are many great woods out there and many came from the UK.  I have a set of 1953 MacGregor 945Ws (1-4) restored by the late Barry Willett.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

6 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Is this the one you're referring to?  

No, Fred has kindly posted a number of videos of his collection both explanatory as the one above and in play. Nice swing!

The one uploaded last night is purely Wood Bros - he must have 15 or so lined up in a beauty pageant!

Title is "Wood Bros Driving Instruments" or similar.

Sorry for being so useless and not being able to link direct.

12 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

My problem is I really know MacGregor history and what the great woods are and what are not.  I am fairly ignorant regarding PowerBilt, Wilson, Spalding, Hogan and others.  I have a little knowledge about Hogans but I am pretty much a MacGregor aficionado.  There are many great woods out there and many came from the UK.  I have a set of 1953 MacGregor 945Ws (1-4) restored by the late Barry Willett.

RobotDoctor, I wish I had your insight into MacGregor's; I actually find them quite confusing which, with the benefit of Kaplan, they shouldn't be!

I find that a lot of my MacGregors don't quite correspond with the details in Kaplan. Often because they have now had some refurbishment. The club pictured is a case in point.

The toe stamping is TP1W (not very clear- sorry!). According to Kaplan this should be finished in Penna Rosewood and have a firing pin insert. It has obviously been refinished (badly) in black but am I safe to say the insert has been replaced or am I looking at something different?

The whole remake thing makes me nervous. It would be great to have a definitive list of woods that MacGregor did reissue?

Picking up on Barry Willet, here are a couple of clubs made by his apprentice Andy Kikidas who followed him to the Mizuno Tour bus.

20201204_124945.jpg

20201204_124816.jpg

IMG_20200505_124350928.jpg

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Foozle said:

RobotDoctor, I wish I had your insight into MacGregor's; I actually find them quite confusing which, with the benefit of Kaplan, they shouldn't be!

I find that a lot of my MacGregors don't quite correspond with the details in Kaplan. Often because they have now had some refurbishment. The club pictured is a case in point.

The toe stamping is TP1W (not very clear- sorry!). According to Kaplan this should be finished in Penna Rosewood and have a firing pin insert. It has obviously been refinished (badly) in black but am I safe to say the insert has been replaced or am I looking at something different?

The whole remake thing makes me nervous. It would be great to have a definitive list of woods that MacGregor did reissue?

Picking up on Barry Willet, here are a couple of clubs made by his apprentice Andy Kikidas who followed him to the Mizuno Tour bus.

20201204_124945.jpg

20201204_124816.jpg

IMG_20200505_124350928.jpg

The TP1W definitely suffers from amateurish refinish.  The insert was definitely replaced.  Such a shame for such a nice club.  

The Andy Kikidas driver is very nice.  Reminds me of the old MacGregor AT1W Seve Ballesteros gamed for many years.  

• Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

15 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

The TP1W definitely suffers from amateurish refinish.  The insert was definitely replaced.  Such a shame for such a nice club.  

The Andy Kikidas driver is very nice.  Reminds me of the old MacGregor AT1W Seve Ballesteros gamed for many years.  

Thanks RobotDoctor. The TP1W certainly has been hashed, as you say very amateurish. However, the point is that it is a period TP1W so presumably has restoration potential? 

The Kikidas with the silver firing pin is steel shafted and has never been hit. The one heel on looks like it has been hit once (badly!) and has a red firing pin insert and graphite shaft.

2 hours ago, Foozle said:

Thanks RobotDoctor. The TP1W certainly has been hashed, as you say very amateurish. However, the point is that it is a period TP1W so presumably has restoration potential? 

The Kikidas with the silver firing pin is steel shafted and has never been hit. The one heel on looks like it has been hit once (badly!) and has a red firing pin insert and graphite shaft.

Those Kididas woods are stellar!!!

With regard to Fred Clark, we text each other almost every day.  I am always one of the first, if not the first, to see the videos before he posts them.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I've posted in this thread previously.  Better late than never.  🙂

My personal list might seem a little odd in comparison to others, since I've come late to the persimmon world.  In no particular order...

Louisville Golf Whale (recent persimmon reissue)

Wood Bros Texan/Australian/España/other fun model

Wood Bros Corker

Cleveland Classic, specific model TBD

Powerbilt Citation, no specific year

Tad Moore custom version of the Jumbo, with some form of fancy face insert

Ram persimmons of various models

I already own several Ram woods, probably good there.  The rest of them are little more than vague levels of interest that I'm not actually pursuing.  Switching to graphite shafts to save my elbows and wrists, so I've put acquisitions on the back burner for now.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

I find Fred C mildly irritating. He has the most fabulous collection of persimmon woods, swings them well and the sun always seems to be shining where he is! 😁

Great videos and I encourage all on here to go watch. 

Fred has such a great swing and hits those persimmons very well.  I love watching his swing!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I don't think I've posted in this thread previously.  Better late than never.  🙂

My personal list might seem a little odd in comparison to others, since I've come late to the persimmon world.  In no particular order...

Louisville Golf Whale (recent persimmon reissue)

Wood Bros Texan/Australian/España/other fun model

Wood Bros Corker

Cleveland Classic, specific model TBD

Powerbilt Citation, no specific year

Tad Moore custom version of the Jumbo, with some form of fancy face insert

Ram persimmons of various models

I already own several Ram woods, probably good there.  The rest of them are little more than vague levels of interest that I'm not actually pursuing.  Switching to graphite shafts to save my elbows and wrists, so I've put acquisitions on the back burner for now.  🙂

NRJyzr, not surprised to see you bringing Ram to the party!

These are new to me. Arrived post persimmon winter hibernation here in Scotland so yet to be hit in anger! Looking forward to the day I can get them out alongside my beloved Tour Grinds.

Pictures staged for your viewing pleasure. Care to respond in kind? 🙂

20201204_200048.jpg

20201204_200145.jpg

20201204_200233.jpg

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Foozle said:

NRJyzr, not surprised to see you bringing Ram to the party!

These are new to me. Arrived post persimmon winter hibernation here in Scotland so yet to be hit in anger! Looking forward to the day I can get them out alongside my beloved Tour Grinds.

Pictures staged for your viewing pleasure. Care to respond in kind? 🙂

20201204_200048.jpg

20201204_200145.jpg

20201204_200233.jpg

I'll be glad to add some Ram pics to the party.  I don't have pics of the full Ram collection, so I'll see if I can't attend to that tonight  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

9 minutes ago, freddiec said:

Thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed my video, I love to spread the passion and love seeing everybody's clubs.  I'd love to get a Busson some day, they always look great.   I need to change my Avatar later.   

Change it to what?  Elvira, Elk Proto, DiMilo, the Jack, the Barry ....... so many to choose from!  👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Haha 1

During my late 70's junior golf days in the SF Bay Area serious amateur players and club pros played either 50's era MacGregor or Orlimar persimmon woods. Orlimar was a local company that produced hand made woods to order, so players good get their preferred loft, face angle etc...

Orlimar.jpg

Orlimar 2.jpg

• Like 4

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I'd love to own a left handed Wood Bros Texan.  One came up on Ebay earlier this year but I got a little gun shy when I saw that the sole plate map of Texas was flipped around.  I emailed Dave Wood and it turns out that it was original, that the lefties do have the map flipped, they are mega rare and that Dave made most of them himself.  In the 12hrs between seeing it and getting a response from Dave someone snapped it up.  I will forever regret not taking the risk and grabbing it.

Edited by LeftyMac

I know this may sound sacreligious to not have the original classics on here but as a kid growing up in the 1980's, here is my list

Dunlop Seve Ballesteros (have several)

Yamaha Hal Sutton (have several)

Bridgestone Jumbo Ozaki (have 2)

Cleveland Classics Byron Nelson (have 3)

MacGregor Centennial LFF Jumbo (have 2)

MacGregor Centennial M85 (have 2)

Wood Brothers Texan (have 1)

Wood Brothers All American (have 1)

American Classics American Soleplate (have1)

Hiro Honma Handmade Tour Model (have 2)

It's really hard to keep it to 10 drivers.

• Like 2

Whats in the Bag:
Cobra F7 Heritage Driver at 10.5* with 43.5" Dynamic Gold X100
Hiro Honma Persimmon #4 Wood with Honma Stiff Graphite

Callaway Utility Prototype 21* with Dynamic Gold X100
Ping iBlade 4-PW with AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50.12 and 54.14 WS with AWT 2.0 Stiff 

Callaway PM Grind 58.10 with Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

My initial reply is directly above but..... I've been thinking and need to make it 12 drivers to include a couple "Holy Grails" for me:

Wood Brothers Spain Soleplate Seve Model (have never had one)

Wood Brothers Masters Soleplate Model (have never had one)

Whats in the Bag:
Cobra F7 Heritage Driver at 10.5* with 43.5" Dynamic Gold X100
Hiro Honma Persimmon #4 Wood with Honma Stiff Graphite

Callaway Utility Prototype 21* with Dynamic Gold X100
Ping iBlade 4-PW with AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50.12 and 54.14 WS with AWT 2.0 Stiff 

Callaway PM Grind 58.10 with Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

On 12/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, tstephen said:

A good Orlimar is hard to beat. I have 3 great drivers, 2 wood, 2 3 woods, the nicest 4 wood, 5 wood played 2001 California State Am, and ultra rare 6 wood. Wouldn’t trade them for the world.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br0qmRvFLcu/

If you don't mind, please share the story of how you acquired those Orlimar beauties. In  about 1978 I was a junior golfer and noticed Orlimar woods in lots of serious junior, amateur players and club pro bags. At that time there were not many off course retailers so players ordered Orlimar thru their local pro shop. or they could go directly to the company's Hayward. California workshop to order a club. Nobody was doing "fittings" in those days, but if a player wanted to order higher or lower lofts or a closed or open face Orlimar would do it. Their persimmon wood finish options were either as your woods are (natural blonde)  or glossy  black. 

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I picked up that set of 1-5 Orlimars from a friend who got them from a club pro who recently died 25 years ago he knew had cherry picked them from about 12 sets he was selling from his shop back in the 70’s. At times I have hit all of them as hard as any persimmons I have owned. Pictures can’t do justice to how incredible looking the 4 wood and the 5 wood in morning dewy conditions would go longer than a driver sometimes with ultra fliers. No neck numbers is a good thing when you find a set like these. No one would have ever done that with MacGregors. Played with Keven Sutherland around ‘93 and he had an Orlimar driver.

Edited by tstephen