2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Buying my girlfriend clubs

hey ladies....
My girlfriend really wants to start playing golf, and she wants to get a set of her own clubs instead of using mine. She is looking to spend about $250 for a whole set, a starter set, to see if she really wants to stick with it. She's looked at several sets (all of which contain pink shafts :) ) that are sold from local sporting goods stores, one was slazenger and one was wilson. Being a club junkie, I want to get her a nice set of lady callaways or something to the like, but she doesn't want to fork out a bunch of money right at the beginning, which is understandable, so I'd like to get some suggestions on starter sets that would actually be worth the money. I would think sticking with "name" brands like wilson or nancy lopez would be the way to go, but I need some help!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through this with my girlfriend around Christmas. I found a pretty nice set of irons for a good price on ebay, found a good deal on an old Anser, gave her some old wedges and reg flex woods I had lying around and was done. There are a lot of ladies' irons sets on ebay, I'd start there and then go to used bins for some other stuff.

Pretty much all of those sets aren't high quality at all in their materials.

I'd defnitely buy one of these: http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?s...ial&topnav=

By far the best value IMO, because they cost the same as the other beginner sets which are usually junk, but these are actually made from the same materials and play like much more expensive clubs.

I used thes 3-4 years ago when I was like 12-1 as my starter set, and they are definitely quality.

Has she ever hit a golf ball yet to determine if she really wants to play, or is she just noticing you abandon her on a regular basis? :lol:

My wife now plays, and she slowly got into golfing. Originally she went to the range with me and hit my irons (DCI 962 stiff DG shafts!) which were about as wrong for her as possible, she actually did ok with them. I picked up a smattering of used single clubs off fleabay for her, paying no more than $10/club for Ping, Cobra, TM, Titleist, etc.. ladies irons. After using these for another season she wanted a whole set, a friend of ours is a Titleist staffer and got her a set of Cobra irons at his cost. She has now embraced golfing and is jealous when I get to play without her. Most weekends in the summer she is eager to get to the course and frustrate herself out there...but at the end of the round she always wants to play again.

IMO don't push her, see if you can get a few used ladies clubs to assess whether she really wants to play or not before you pop for a set that will end up unused.

Once you do go for a set, IMO a used ladies set is a low cost proposition, these suckers seem to hold their value like a TM driver.

well...she was the one who approached me about it. She used my irons (Ping ISI's w/ stiff shafts..same scenario) on the range and actually hit about 3 or 4 9 irons straight as an arrow in the last 10 or so balls she hit. She's wanting to go to the range and practice, but she's never been on the course before, and played. So I don't know if once she gets onto a real course, whether she will have the same desire to play she has now..I found a set of Adam's Idea originals online..it's a whole set, driver, 3 wood, hybrids irons, you get the idea (no pun intended) for $315 a little more than the $250 she was willing to spend but I think those clubs would be a lot better quality than most....

Same thing happened to me my girlfriend asked if I would show her how to play. So for xmas I kept watching ebay and found a brand new set of older precept irons for 50 and got a mactec driver for 20 and a cobra f speed ladies 7 wood (the extra loft will help her get the ball in the air and when she hits it well I will get her a 5 wood) for 10. So for under 100 I got a decent starter set, so if you have time look around ebay and find some deals. The bag is what will cost the most because she wants one that is cute :rolleyes:

Since my wife is a 12 handicap and plays men's clubs with senior or "L" shafts, who has rather strong opinions about "ladies" clubs that seem to be crap, painted pink. Like men, don't woman come in different sizes, levels of hand-eye coordination, and passion about golf? But, "ladies" clubs seem to take the one-size, fits-all approach. Certainly some women want matching designer outfits, bags and golf clubs, but not all (my wife is rolling her eyes).

There are a number of concessions that ought to be made due to smaller, less-athletic woman not generating enough clubhead speed to elevate the ball or cause as much distance differential between clubs. Fewer clubs, more loft, more hybrids may well be good ideas for many beginners (especially if on a budget). Personally, I support the idea of quality used clubs, but maybe "new" is important? BTW, cut-down men's clubs are a bad idea.

My wife plays the Adams Tight Lies set I picked up for her last year. She thinks they are great and they will take her a long ways with her game. Nice quality, but a little more than what she is looking to spend.

You may want to check your local shop near you, they may have sets that are clearanced out too.

but if you want a basic set of clubs that look like decent quality, I saw these at Golf Galaxy for men and women, here is the womens set. $149!

LINK

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

My fiancee has potentially one of the nicest sets out there and I did it all pretty inexpensively.

I found individual TM Miscela irons and hybrids from globalgolf's auctions on ebay and in their online store. I think I ended up spending around $25 per club for the 5hybrid, 6hybrid, 7, 8, 9, PW. I originally bought her the Miscela driver for $30 or so in the initial globalgolf purchase. After playing for a couple months, in true ho style, I then bought her a Cally Hawkeye VFT driver and Steelhead 3 wood (both with senior flex shafts as the lady wood shafts are real noodles) from callawaypreowned on ebay (I believe I spend maybe $65 shipped on those two). I let he take her choice of my extra putters laying around and regripped it with a grip of her choice (it did no damage to my putter as I putt with 33-34 inch putters anyway...so if she never uses it, it'll be doing the same thing it was before but with a pink grip)--I did the same thing with the wedges (most all club hos have wedges and putters sitting around). The most expensive thing I did was buy her a sweet Nike Xtreme Sport stand bag--it was a little under $100, but isn't a necessity--you can easily get a decent girlie bag for $50 or so. If you did all the above, and went cheaper on the bag, you could easily get a TOP NOTCH setup for under $300.

Her is her initial setup. The clubs cost a little under $200 total and the bag was $80:

golfclubs042.jpg

At the risk of engaging in blasphemy, take a look at www.diamondtour.com. This is a company that produces high quality clones and knockoffs. The clones of the Cally Big Bertha for women are excellent and in her price range. Each of my sons has a set of irons from this company and you can't tell their clubs from the OEM clubs.

I found some ladies flex graphite shafted Ping i3's on ebay and then bought her woods from Callaway Pre-owned. All in, maybe $500. Then my buddy who owns a golf shop told her that she needed the pink Aldila NV shafts in her clubs! (A**hole!!)

Then she started paying attention to the pro shop at the club and found a Keri Golf golf bag for $299!!! :

www.kerigolf.com

Needless to say this was about two years ago and I think the clubs have been out about twice.

Moral of the story, regardless of who is forking out the cash, make sure that she's vested before the spending commences!!

Titleist TSR3 10.0 Ventus Blue TR 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15.0 Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSR2 18.0 (@19.25) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 80 6.5
Titleist T150 4-P KBS Tour X 
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw KBS Tour X: 48(@47).10F, SM9 54.12D, WedgeWorks 58.06 K Low Bounce 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 35" Heavy
Titleist -ProV1x

muxi, I like you're thinking...that looks like a great set of clubs for what I spend on a driver annually :), hi my name is zack and I'm a club ho, I think we'll be taking a trip to some local golf shops soon to see what they've got. She's pretty athletic, and for a first timer seems like she can really get the club moving. Like I said she was hitting my stiff shaft ISI's pretty easy, long irons, not so much, but the shorter irons she got up in the air pretty easy. Thanks for all the input everyone, and sorry guys for all the wife/girlfriend eye rolling you have received along the way!

• 5 weeks later...

Hahahahaha some of those comments are quite true. My girlfriend is now looking to start getting into golf too. She has gone with me to the range a lot and wanted to give it a try. She's pretty good for just starting and has a decent swing. She is looking at a lady hagen sr8 set from dicks for $200. They seem to be the perfect clubs for what she wants to do, (and shes a huge fan of the girly orange on the shafts :russian_roulette: ). Bottom line is they were in her price range and they will match her outfits.

Definitely recommend the Maltby Ltech line of clubs. Very high quality and you can order exactly what you want and each club assembled by the Golfworks for 10.00 per club. Really nice to get the proper length and let her pick grips, etc.

Ralph Maltby designed these clubs (originally the Logic Lady) specifically for his wife and her friends (so the story goes) so they could enjoy the game and have the easiest to hit clubs (avoid fat shots, get the ball in the air, etc). Ltech is the upgraded version.

As a starter set I got my wife the 15deg driver, 5 wood (21 deg), 5 and 6 hybrid (26 and 30 deg), and 7-SW. All with the Ltech graphite shaft (comes in 3 different flexes). Not only is this a great set, but she loves the champagne color as well.

I play Maltby KE4 hybrids and KE4 Tour irons and am very happy with them. I even added the Ltech 6 and 7 hybrid heads with the same shaft and swingweight as my irons and they are idiot proof- great height and easy to hit at my slower swingspeed.

Should be able a set like the above around your price point. I don't think you will find anything better.

My dad and I both golf. My mom has finally started to take some interest and wants to start playing as well, so I've also been keeping an eye out for some descent women's clubs.

Best that I've found so far is a hybrid Nickent set. I belive it's 4,5 Hybrid and then regular irons below that and they usually go in the $150 range new on ebay. The 3DX Hybrid set i believe. Descent looking clubs, and if I remember right, the guy's version use to get some pretty good reviews. I'd check into those.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

• 2 weeks later...

Which oS did you get for 200.00? was it the a2Os? Thats a coolo deal... :o)

I just picked up the iron set. The Adams Idea Tech a3oS, for 320.00 brand new out of the box from a friend who sells clubs. He was able to get me the "friends deal" I was going back and fourth between the a3oS and the a4oS however I couldn't see paying 800.00 for the a4oS right now. I played the adams tight lies for a year nd well lemme tell you there is def. a difference in the two sets.

I say get a good set to start with (put out the money at first) because when you start out, your learning and in my opinion it's better to learn with the clubs you already have and stick with them. Had I known about clubs when I started I would have spent the money in the beginning for a good set....