O'Hair's Caddy - Good Grief!

The word CHOKE is so offensive and imflammatory that most people who empathize for the loser tend to avoid it out of being nice, assuming that viewpoint is neutral.

That being said, Sean O'Hair never looked comfortable out there on Sunday. His approaches were loose at best and he left most of his putts way short or long and outside of the tap-in/no pressure par zone. There was no doubt he fought hard and didn't fold like lawnchair with the PAR PAR finish (may I remind you Greg Owens? Sorry GO), but during the whole round, I never had a feeling O'Hair would come through.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point of view. Sean did not choke (word) though, but did not play well either. He and Tiger have had quite opposite upbringings, and their dads had very different methods of coaching their children.

I agree with anton. The fear of failure under pressure is something Sean's dad seem to unknowingly instill into Sean's overall character makeup. Thus the dependency on his caddy so much.

Challenging authority opinion under immense pressure is a crazy phenomenon.

O'hair was a slow train wreck, and blocked 10 shots right- 20 yards off target.

Instead of wrong club on the 16th- I felt that Sean -slightly - hit it fat. Tiger kept applying the pressure and had the one hick-up he needed. Sean putted well, I felt. Tiger played so-so & once again he wins.

I would of LOVED to see Mickelson and Tiger battling down the stretch- & for the #1 Spot in the world.

Talk about TV Ratings ! This is what younger kids would get jazzed and maybe start the game.

In the USA- we need MORE golfers, or the Muni's & clubs will continue to suffer & close.

The notion that O'Hair fell apart (or isn't a very good player) is ridiculous. He finished solo second and was one of just seven players to shoot under par for the week.

Tiger's win was inevitable. There's very little that could have been done about it.

WW

Well he could have shot 71 and won the tournament...+1 for the day is something little he could have done about it. There is absolutely no doubt that O'Hair is a world class player but he choked...plain and simple. TW didn't go out and shoot 63...if you couldn't see the round by round scores then sure great tournament by O'Hair. But if you stand on #1 tee on Sunday morning with a 5 shot lead then you should win the tournament otherwise its a choke.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

The notion that O'Hair fell apart (or isn't a very good player) is ridiculous. He finished solo second and was one of just seven players to shoot under par for the week.

Tiger's win was inevitable. There's very little that could have been done about it.

WW

Well he could have shot 71 and won the tournament...+1 for the day is something little he could have done about it. There is absolutely no doubt that O'Hair is a world class player but he choked...plain and simple. TW didn't go out and shoot 63...if you couldn't see the round by round scores then sure great tournament by O'Hair. But if you stand on #1 tee on Sunday morning with a 5 shot lead then you should win the tournament otherwise its a choke.

Totally agree- 5 shot lead with one round left? Should have been a foregone conclusion for O'Hair. Look at the final leaderboard and count how many guys backed up like that. I believe in the top 40, only three- including O'Hair. Conditions were much seemingly easier than saturday as well- at least for a good portion of the day.

Now had Woods gone out and shot 63 to O'Hair's 69 or something to that effect, this conversation would not be taking place. I'm not saying Tiger didnt play well- he did. His putting was otherworldly, as per usual. But if he was offered a 67 before the final round I imagine he would have said no way- I highly doubt he would have felt that number would have good enough for the victory...

I'm guessing O'Hair feels like he himself gagged as well. Almost played well enough for the win. Almost...

After watching the round again, I think O'Hair's caddie did a great job. It felt like he mentally carried O'Hair the whole day on a very difficult course.

Not sure if this makes sense, but O'Hair lost it more than Tiger won. In addition, It seemed like he was fighting between two swings.

I wonder how this will affect O'hair's mental game in the long term! Hopefully it will make him stronger.

He was -10 on Saturday with a few holes to go.

Finished at -4.

Only one birdie in that stretch of 20+ holes.

It was his tournament to win. He just didn't get it done. Maybe next time.

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

He was -10 on Saturday with a few holes to go.

Finished at -4.

Only one birdie in that stretch of 20+ holes.

It was his tournament to win. He just didn't get it done. Maybe next time.

===========

Wow- great Stat to consider, didnt think it was that bad.

Tiger's Dad " You've got to Sprint through the finish"- meaning never let up.

And, Tiger's thought, if way ahead, " Go For a No Bogey Day ". A game within a game helps him continue to perform.

The Crowds were, once again huge. I can't imagine trying to deal with the Tiger Crowd for the first time....

I just heard O'Hair's explanation.

He said that as the temps dropped, the ball carried a little shorter. He clubbed up for 17 and 18 and wished he had for 16. He said he hit the shot well. (At the time I thought he hit it a tad fat) He also stated that with his lead evaporated he felt he needed to play aggressively and not conservatively.

Too bad for Sean, he did in fact choke.

SIM 2 10.5˚ GD IZ-6
SIM 15˚ GD DI-7
SIM 19˚ GD DI-85
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW Modus 120
MG Hi-Toe 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ DG 120
Spider Tour-X
TP5
Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark

got to agree it was the wrong shot. O'Hair to me has two shots - full and flat out. He doesn't have the finesse of a Tiger. It was a joy to watch Tiger manufacture so many shots from trapped draws to high punch cuts. The little pitching wedge he hit was dead armed from around 110 yards out. The guy is class and I'm sorry until these young guys learn the art of ball striking and how to manufacture shots they'll continue to be one shot ponys.

Bottom line is that O'Hair made four bogeys and only one birdie. Tiger had five birdies and two bogeys. O'Hair shot 73, Tiger a 67. +3 versus -3. Sean only hit 6 fairways all day. That's not good by any pro's standard. He was scrambling most of the day. (Great scrambling, btw), but the bottom line is that he had a 5 shot lead that he let get away. If he would have just made par all day he would have won the tournament. I don't think his caddie has anything to do with it. He didn't execute the shot when it counted the most. Just my .02. :)

The Crowds were, once again huge. I can't imagine trying to deal with the Tiger Crowd for the first time....

O'Hair wasn't dealing with Tiger's gallery for the first time, the two were paired in the final round at Bay Hill last year. The number of players that can handle being paired with Tiger in the final group on Sunday are few and far between. Here are a few names of "chokers" I can think of:

Sean O'Hair ('09 Arnold Palmer Invitational)

Stewar Cink ('08 Match Play, '08 Buick Invitational)

Kevin Streelman ('08 Buick Invitational)

Stephen Ames ('07 PGA)

Rory Sabbatini ('07 Wachovia Championship, '07 Bridgestone Invite)

Troy Matteson ('07 Buick Invitational)

Brett Quigley ('06 WGC AmEx)

Luke Donald ('06 PGA)

Lucas Glover ('06 Buick Open)

Sergio Garcia ('06 Open Championship, '06 Buick Invitational)

Daniel Chopra ('06 Ford Championship @ Doral)

Rod Pampling ('06 Buick Invitational)

Stuart Appleby ('05 WGC AmEx)

J.M. Olazabal ('05 Open Championship)

Tom Lehman ('05 Buick Invitational)

Peter Lonard ('05 Buick Invitational)

That's as far as I'll go, but Tiger beat all these players by at least 4 strokes, most of them by 6-10 shots. It is unbelievable the effect Tiger/his gallery/the media following his gallery have on the players paired with him, all world class professionals. Notice that, of the above players listed, only Streelman and Quigley have not won on the PGA Tour.

Vapor Pro 10.5° Fuji Pro TS 73 X
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Pro 18º VS Proto 80 X
Covert Forged 3i X100
VR Pro Blades 4-PW X100
Callaway X Tour 54°/60° S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

pulled it.. no... if he pulled it it would have go at least pin high.. and it wasn't close.. total misclub.

Agreed.

The "pull" that everyone keeps referring to was NOT the problem. Even if he had hit that shot straight at the target line (arched window) it would have STILL foolishly brought the hazard into play by only hitting enough club to reach the FRONT side of the green. :russian_roulette:

I agree of course that at the end of the day it is all on the player, BUT, in THIS case, the player was clearly scared to death and was COMPLETELY reliant on the caddy for club selection and direction. The fact is, the caddy did an AMAZING job of holding the scared kid together UNTIL the 16th.

He called the wrong club on 16, and O'Hair was NEVER going to overrule him as he was too busy shaking in his shoes!

Caddy blew it IMO.

Of course the loss/choke is NOT the caddy's fault in the big picture, but this is one of those situations where the caddy actually MAY have been able to save his guy, and he failed by not being smarter about the club selection on 16.

Tim

The temperature also dropped a considerable amount from the time they teed off till they hit their second shots. They teed off and it was quite a while before they got to their ball, at least 5 minutes. (side note.. Dumbest move by a ropes volunteer. F the crowd, the players hit and walk by THEN you drop the rope for people to cross. You don't stop their play!)

Wind was helping from the right, just there was no way for Sean to know how much the temp was gonna affect the ball. Had he not pulled it he probably would have been momentarily dry short and right. I thought they'd shaved the banks though so it may have stayed dry maybe not.

pulled it.. no... if he pulled it it would have go at least pin high.. and it wasn't close.. total misclub.

Agreed.

The "pull" that everyone keeps referring to was NOT the problem. Even if he had hit that shot straight at the target line (arched window) it would have STILL foolishly brought the hazard into play by only hitting enough club to reach the FRONT side of the green. :russian_roulette:

I agree of course that at the end of the day it is all on the player, BUT, in THIS case, the player was clearly scared to death and was COMPLETELY reliant on the caddy for club selection and direction. The fact is, the caddy did an AMAZING job of holding the scared kid together UNTIL the 16th.

He called the wrong club on 16, and O'Hair was NEVER going to overrule him as he was too busy shaking in his shoes!

Caddy blew it IMO.

Of course the loss/choke is NOT the caddy's fault in the big picture, but this is one of those situations where the caddy actually MAY have been able to save his guy, and he failed by not being smarter about the club selection on 16.

Tim

As you can see, most people disagree with you.

got to agree it was the wrong shot. O'Hair to me has two shots - full and flat out. He doesn't have the finesse of a Tiger. It was a joy to watch Tiger manufacture so many shots from trapped draws to high punch cuts. The little pitching wedge he hit was dead armed from around 110 yards out. The guy is class and I'm sorry until these young guys learn the art of ball striking and how to manufacture shots they'll continue to be one shot ponys.

thanks for the endorsement!!! full and flat out is the only way he hits it...........shaping it , he does well..........gearing down, sorry Titleist1455.............remember, not every touring guy can shape it or flop it or do everything we would think.......... Stadler, Lehman, Perry to name a few who only hit it one direction; gearing down like Corey Pavin and Tiger is a lost art!!!

Interesting point of view. Sean did not choke (word) though, but did not play well either. He and Tiger have had quite opposite upbringings, and their dads had very different methods of coaching their children.

of the 73 players that started the round only 13 shot worse then O'Hair (with another 8 shooting the same).If this is not a choke I don't know what is...

thanks for the endorsement!!! full and flat out is the only way he hits it...........shaping it , he does well..........gearing down, sorry Titleist1455.............remember, not every touring guy can shape it or flop it or do everything we would think.......... Stadler, Lehman, Perry to name a few who only hit it one direction; gearing down like Corey Pavin and Tiger is a lost art!!!

+ 1 on the above.

And Tigers ability to get out of those plugged under the lip bunker shots - great stuff. I think he hit a

P W out of one of those. The Long Game is what everybody wants- so the ball is long, but not too spinny- and they guys are not able or want to work the ball ( as much). That's why it's nice to have a shorter curvy HarborTown.

i personally found o'hairs caddy very annoying, if my caddy kept calling me "bud" every few seconds he wouldn't be around very long.

A good friend can't call you bud?

well i'll just say that i have never said it to a friend and i have rarely been called that. its just a pet peeve i think, i mean the player knows they are friends, it's like going out of the way to give too much information. caddy should just say, its bleh yardage playing like whatever, i think its a 7 iron and aim there DONE.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Yeah, not the caddies fault. The caddie actually told him to hit it about 20 feet right of the hole at an arched window and O'Hair actually took it straight at the hole. So he probably pulled it.

Perhaps it wasn't evident on TV, but that house has two arched windows facing the green. One was clearly visible to the right of the pin, and the other was partially hidden by the camera tower right behind the pin location. Perhaps Tesori and O'Hair were in agreement on which window was the target, and the player pulled the shot towards the pin. While it was happening, though I thought " I hope he means the window on the right". But what if O'Hair thought his caddie meant the window to the left? Just a thought.

Perhaps it wasn't evident on TV, but that house has two arched windows facing the green. One was clearly visible to the right of the pin, and the other was partially hidden by the camera tower right behind the pin location. Perhaps Tesori and O'Hair were in agreement on which window was the target, and the player pulled the shot towards the pin. While it was happening, though I thought " I hope he means the window on the right". But what if O'Hair thought his caddie meant the window to the left? Just a thought.

If that were the case, he would've just had to ask, "Which window are you talking about?" It seems kinda crazy, with that much on the line, to think instead of know.

If that were the case, he would've just had to ask, "Which window are you talking about?" It seems kinda crazy, with that much on the line, to think instead of know.

I think some of you guys are putting way too much emphasis on the caddy. O'Hair is a world class player, if he doesn't know that you don't aim at that pin under that pressure then I would be very surprised. You can second guess all night...he flat out didn't hit the club as far as he needed to...mishit, wind, the ball not flying far enough are just excuses.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

OK, I just re-watched the play of the 16th hole..........O'hair asked yardage: Tesori said 171.....meaning directly in line with pin. the green has a curvature that the front left portion is further back almost middle of green. O asked pin yardage: 178 .....then back yardage 188.......O says 178 is the number and that is confirmed by T.......... O ask where the wind is and adds that it is out of the right.......T says out of the right and little bit into you bud!!! O says you think 7 , T concurs and by saying I do......... O says full?? T says yep.........O says do I have to do anything to it?? T say to be honest, you're gonna have to hit it!! O says yep.... T says you know what I mean ........O says yep........

T gives him the line which is the arch window about 20ft right of pin.........T says that is where I want it to come down.............

NBC pans back to the down the line view:the flag is inline with a chimney, the window is middle of the green; Johnny and Gary have a convo about the line.........T says come on baby.........Koch says shaven bank comes into play...........Pepper says 9 xtra to carry on that line............. Pepper says ball very high on aggressive line.........T says Go right away and repeats Go............

in my estimation he needed about 5-8 more yards of carry or of course ONE MORE CLUB!!!the shot was NOT pulled just THE WRONG CLUB into the wind!!!!

Sorry for the poor narration but it was/is a rush job!!! :rolleyes:

I saw this afternoon on Golf Central that Tesori is putting the blame squarely on his own shoulders. He says he's been watching the coverage over and over again, and that he just did not take the temp change into consideration and under-clubbed his player. So whether is was O'Hair's lack of execution of Tesori's wrong information, they both screwed the pooch. They're pros: considering where Tiger was (in the rough) they should have taken the path of least resistance.

I saw this afternoon on Golf Central that Tesori is putting the blame squarely on his own shoulders. He says he's been watching the coverage over and over again, and that he just did not take the temp change into consideration and under-clubbed his player. So whether is was O'Hair's lack of execution of Tesori's wrong information, they both screwed the pooch. They're pros: considering where Tiger was (in the rough) they should have taken the path of least resistance.

He's doing what any good caddy would do. Not letting a player (a young player in this case) blame himself for the shot, which could cause the player to lose confidence in himself.