Who Will Rookie of the Year Be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Camilo will probably have the best season. As a UK fan, I like to watch J.B., but Camilo is a solid player all around.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

Well, I grew up playing with Camilo and I'm sure that there is no one that wants to win more than him, well, maybe Tiger (I'm just comparing him to Tiger, I'm not saying he is better than tiger)... Camilo grew up playing tournaments worldwide, well not only playing, but winning tournaments and I've never seen anybody hate making bogeys more than him... He is the young version of Tiger, he is 100% focused on golf, he loves to win and he wants to win... He has a complete structure around golf to be as good as he can be and he will be very good... I really think that Camilo can be one of the guys that stands up on sunday and wont wilt to Tiger in a final round.. he is a competitor, he is a warrior...

I think he will win before the year is over and he will definetively be rookie of the year...

Right now, IMO JB is in the lead with a win (how about that finish he had). However, if Camilo can take home a trophy he will definitely be in the #1 spot for rookies, especially when you also consider his two 2nd place finishes.

I am also a fan of Camilo and can't wait to see him in the hunt again! I have a good feeling that he will put a win together this year. I also enjoy watching Bubba and JB, should be a good season for golf!

JB got hot at the right time, on the right course, in the right field. He's clearly not as sharp all around as Camilo and Bubba. He can definitely go low though in the right conditions...

Camilo played his best golf at a great tournament and that will only give him more confidence as the season goes on. He does need to work on his putting though, as it seems he can lose his focus a bit.... Still, not a bad season thus far for a guy who had to Monday qualify last year to play full time on the Nationwide Tour...

Bubba, IMO, has the most potential among all of them. He's the longest and he has a really good overall game. No bogey's through 99 holes??? That is amazing. Sure, he has not won yet. Nor has he challenged in a big time event, but I can see him as one of the guys who is picking up top 30's just about every week. He has enough short game to finish in the money every week, and once he gets some confidence going he can get hot. I think as more and more time goes by, Bubba will surprise a lot of people. Might not win, but he should finish high on the money list...

I think Camillo, he's gonna do well throughout the year and play the most consistent out of the three IMO

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 9.5* / Kuro Kage XT 60 TX
Nike Vapor Fly 3HL 16* / Fuji Rombax P95 X
Nike Vapor Fly Hybrid 20* / UST iRod 110F4
Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW / KBS Tour S
Nike Engage 51SQ 55SQ 60TS / KBS Tour Wedge
Nike Method RORS 006 Prototype 34"

As it stands its got to be JB. Wins count for alot and he had one hot streak on a suitable course or not, a win is a win and there are a bunch of very, very good players who would trade him for that W.

CV seems to have game and has featured at the tour stops where the big guns show up which has to be a benefit. Bubba is a bomber with a game more suited to the PGA than other tours. IMHO he'll be around the lead at some events more than others and could easily post a W.

The rookie of the year could be decided on how they play in the majors. After the strong showing early season JB and CV should make The Masters due to Money List placing but Bubba needs a good showing to secure that place. IMHO all three could contend if the course is wet and plays long, if it's dry and fast they might not.

If they all continue to play well then their world rankings should take care of entry to other majors so it'll be down to who handles then Major pressure best. Due to the way he's handled the big field tourneys so far I'd put my money on CV being rookie of the year.

$0.02

Right now i would say JB but it is a long season, I really think anyone of the three could win it. I can also see all three winning a tournament also. As for the Bill Haas comment i think he is an over hyped kid whose Dad was a decent player. To me all he has shown is that he can cry with the best of them. I doubt he keeps his card or let alone wins a tournament.

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Lo 3 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Lo 4 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 Black 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM P790 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe RAW Big Foot 60 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

It is going to be Villegas. I have watched this guy for 2 years. He left Florida and turned pro with no status anywhere, made some money in South America and showed up on the Australasian tour 2 years ago and had something like 3 straight top 10's at the down under "majors".

Then he comes to the US with no status anywhere and Monday qualifies for a Nationwide event and scratches and claws his way in to the top 20 at year end. That takes stones fellas and Camillo has got'em.

Villegas wins multiple times on the Tour this year and will contend at a major. He runs away with rookie of the year.

Right now you have to give it to JB with a win, a top 10, and no missed cuts. Camillo has missed the cut twice this year already.

I'm sorry to correct you, but JB missed the cut at Doral, he shot 71-74 and missed the cut by 5... Not to say that JB is less of a player because he missed a cut, just clarifying that he also missed a cut... He does have a W this year and might get another one if a course suits his game...

Camilo needs a strong finish this week and next week to get into the players and then have a chance to make it to augusta, which I'm sure is his goal... I think the rookie of the year award will go to the one that can contend or at least make some ripples on the majors pond... I'm rooting for Camilo...

Right now you have to give it to JB with a win, a top 10, and no missed cuts. Camillo has missed the cut twice this year already.

I'm sorry to correct you, but JB missed the cut at Doral, he shot 71-74 and missed the cut by 5... Not to say that JB is less of a player because he missed a cut, just clarifying that he also missed a cut... He does have a W this year and might get another one if a course suits his game...

Camilo needs a strong finish this week and next week to get into the players and then have a chance to make it to augusta, which I'm sure is his goal... I think the rookie of the year award will go to the one that can contend or at least make some ripples on the majors pond... I'm rooting for Camilo...

PGAtour.com hasn't updated their stats yet with Doral when you look up a player's year, hence why I didn't see the MC on there........

I certainly think it is a little too early to tell which amateur will lock the title. If I had to go with one right now it would be Camilo without a doubt. He is a strong player and he knows how to play smart. Bubba is known for his distance and that will catch up to him sooner or later. I haven't really watched J.B. too much so I can't comment.

But like I said it is way too early. All an amateur has to do is come out and win a major or something crazy like that and it is his.

Nathan

sheppy....i totally disagree with that comment..

bill haas is a great young player....

i have been watching him for a few years as i enjoy watching the nationwide tours on the golf channel. Bill has a great ball striking ability and if he could just improve his short game a little bit i think he would be right up there with JB Bubba and Camilo. As for rookie of the year i think Camilo will win it. I think he will win 2 tournaments this year. One with a big field like Doral had and one with a smaller field like the Disney.

They are alll GREAT players though :)

Beeing a Norwegian, I of course hope Henrik Bjornstad will be in the mix for player of the year '06. Having gone through all three stages of tour school and finishing 13th, after beeing a carpenter only 6 months earlier indicates a massive amount of raw talent and will. The fact that he's allready stacked up two places in the top 12, and is currently lying t19 at the Honda gives me further hope that he'll do very well this year, although it remains to be seen if he can compete against JB, Bubba, Villegas and such....

hear in the uk there are a lot of young prospects but i think its good to see that usa are finally getting young talent to follow the example of their older counterparts.

rookie of the year: i know they may be slight underdogs without tour wins just yet but i still like to think that out of the 3 (jb, cam, bubba) that rookie of the view will go to either villegas or bubba

:)

I watched Bubba play during the 3rd round at Doral. He birdied holes 7,8, and 9. His long game and short game is amazing. The crowds really love to watch him too. He overhit number 9, the par 3 and chipped it in from off the green.

Camillo has got style. I don't know how many times people came in the golf shop asking what brand of clothing he was wearing.