Casio camera thread

I use a Casio Tryx (has it built in tri pod): http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Cameras/TRYX/

Pretty clear shaft at impact with face-on view !

post-129830-0-18574500-1360508495_thumb.jpg

I suspect the images above are consecutive (as retrieved from YouTube).

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8_U3W-ekk[/media]

+1

I've had this camera for a year or so. It stays in my bag at all times.

Size of an iPhone with its own tripod/frame. Under $200. Hard to beat IMO!

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1360528490' post='6400947']
Another candidate for Casio replacement: [size=6][b]Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15[/b][/size] (with wifi)
.............................................................................................................
We will have to see some swing videos to give a better evaluation.
[/quote]

Here's a forum discussion on the Sony Action Camera. I asked about shutter speed.
[url="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50019007"]http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50019007[/url]

General video thread
[url="http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430870/the-sony-hdr-as15-action-cam-with-wifi"]http://www.avsforum....n-cam-with-wifi[/url]

There are other dpreview threads on the HD Sony Action and Go Pro Action Cameras

Don't recall what I was able to find out about the shutter speed - nothing clear - but soon lost interest in this 'action camera' and also the Go Pro's which also does high speed video.
1) the cost with accessories is high
2) the shutter speed is unknown,
3) wide angle lenses distort if you move close for a larger image.
4) viewing stop action on the LCD screen...?...See [url="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50019007"]http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50019007[/url]
5) editing videos on the camera.....?.......
HD is also more likely to display more Jello Effect distortion, for example, club bending, that has to be tested.
Anyone find any golf video side views showing motion blur for the action cameras?

That Casio TRYX camera golf video with small motion blur on the shaft and ball looks as if the shutter is very fast. Motion blur would be easier to evaluate if the ball and club head were bigger in a video. The ball looks roughly spherical so the shutter speed is probably very fast. Does it have a zoom or fixed lens? I believe that the TRYX is no longer offered, is that correct. Current cost?

Earlier, reply #152, I posted a video from a tennis player who just bought a used Casio FC150 for $90 and claimed that if he pressed the "HS" buttom the camera would allow setting shutter speeds to 1/40,000 sec. His videos look very interesting with small, but unmeasured, motion blur. That information might be interesting to verify by someone who is more experienced with using the FC150 or someone who has the FC150 and could try pressing the HS button and taking some high speed videos.

It would be great to have a list of the cameras with:
1) full manual exposure control
2) shutter priority auto with fast shutters
3) auto exposure control that sets [i]very fast shutter speeds[/i] in bright sunlight.
I have searched some and often asked in threads but have not been able to locate that information for high speed video operation modes other than for full manual exposure control. Can't find information - base the list on motion blurs on side views of golf swings.

The TRYX and FC150 information above indicates that there are some very capable cameras out there for golf. There are very likely several others. ?

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1360539770' post='6401983']
[size=4]That Casio TRYX camera golf video with small motion blur on the shaft and ball looks as if the shutter is very fast. Motion blur would be easier to evaluate if the ball and club head were bigger in a video. The ball looks roughly spherical so the shutter speed is probably very fast. Does it have a zoom or fixed lens? I believe that the TRYX is no longer offered, is that correct. Current cost?[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]The Casio TRYX isn't being made anymore. It wasn't popular - no zoom, no flash ! The price of them is increasing ... in the usual Casio way. [color=#ff0000][b]Casio needs to team up with SkyPro[/b][/color] and integrate swing data with video ! Send the swing and video data to the iphone - results could be quite interesting. [/size]
[size=4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-FaDzyhYpM[/size]
[size=4]Maybe tennis needs a SkyPro ! :)[/size]

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='Eag1e' timestamp='1360701282' post='6415201']
[quote name='jwm1' timestamp='1360700216' post='6415059']
[quote name='LaterOn61' timestamp='1360687725' post='6413729']
I am trying to identify a camera to buy to monitor my swing. Is a camcorder the way to go or is a digital camera the answer? If so, what feature is most necessary beyond shutter speed?
[/quote]

I recently purchased the new GoPro Hero 3 Black, and while it's not perfect as a "golf only" camera it is pretty good. It can capture at 120fps with solid resolution which is plenty for me. You can also minimize the fish-eye effect through the settings. I also find the wifi preview really helpful. You can set the camera up and look down at your phone to see if you are actually in the frame without having to guess. I also really like the ability to mount it to pretty much anything. There are much better options for golf cameras but this one is solid, small, and multifunctional. On the negative side, mine seems to freeze and reset itself at inopportune times. I will try to post some videos in 120fps for you if you're interested. You can also search on youtube for examples already up there.
[/quote]

I cannot understand why someone would pay $400 for that when a $130 camera gets the job done even better.

This is from my $130 Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS. You can edit, frame-by-frame, and further slow down video *on* the camera for playback, and it's got a very nice screen for playback on the range.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ypqx5pbsE&feature=youtu.be[/media]

yes, every so slightly blurry when recording in slow motion. Does it matter? No. Everything you need can still be seen fine. I see no good reason to pay any more for a camera for personal use.
[/quote]
Footage looks pretty solid !

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Chas- I would like to thank you for the time and information you have put into teaching us novices. I have a question I hope you can assist with. While filming yourself alone with the FH100- What would be the preferred method of focusing using the timer ? Focus on a spot on the mat for distance and then reset the camera's aim ?

Regards
Snafu

[b]Casio FH100 Focus & Misc. [/b]

I'm not much of a still photographer so there are probably better ways to focus.

Whenever you hold the camera use the wrist strap. Keep the camera clean, especially the lens tubes.

The more telephoto you use the more accurate the object will be; the more wide angle you use the more distorted (the magnification changes across the frame more with wide angle). For most accurate dimensions recommend that the camera be placed as far away from the golfer as is convenient.

[color=#ff0000]Update 9/7/2013- While dimensions might be more accurate with telephoto automatic exposure cameras are very likely to choose a slower shutter speed because the lens's f# increases with telephoto. [/color] [color=#ff0000]Trade off accuracy and motion blur....[/color]

When doing tennis videos I set the "Self Timer" to 10 seconds. I also set the camera auto power off settings to 10 minutes. Temperature Sensor - I believe that once my FH100 camera may have powered off because the protective temperature sensor shut it down from solar heating, not sure. ?

First, the focus with high speed video is not as critical as with stills because the resolution is so much lower.

Focus does not change after the video has started.

As I understand it, the FH100 does not have a true aperture, it has a single neutral density filter. Forget about depth of field issues as both 'aperture' settings will have the same depth of filed.

The camera has an optical zoom to 240 mm,10 X, and then an electronic zoom for more telephoto. Not sure of the resolution if the electronic zoom is used in high speed video mode. But if you want only to frame a certain subject at a large distance, say a pro golfer at a tournament or his wrists, then the electronic zoom might be very useful.

You have to read the manual and look at the settings because I don't remember this stuff very well. Click through all the MENU settings.

There is a video earlier in this thread on the FH100 settings, [b]very useful[/b], but in sunlight use much faster shutter speeds than the 1/2000 sec recommended in that video.

[b]AUTO FOCUS[/b] - [i]MENU-REC-Focus-AF[/i] Read manual on auto focus settings, [i]MENU-AF Area-Spot, Multi,[/i] etc. . I have not changed it from the default -[i] Spot[/i]. Mostly, I use this auto focus method to focus.

1) Set up the camera on a tripod (geared heads are nice for adjusting height).

2) Put something of high contrast where the golfer will be, golf bag, clubs, etc. (the same distance away). Point the camera at the object. (I often use the lines on the tennis court.)

3) Press the still button down 1/2 way and the camera will auto focus on the item, that is, the lens will usually move in or out. The focus only adjusts when the button is pushed 1/2 way down. (There may also be a setting for continuous focus adjustment, you don't want that.)

4) Take a test video of a swing to check the focus and framing. Generally frame to cover at least 10% below the ball and 5% above the top of the swing. (Much more attractive videos (that also show focus well) result in direct sunlight because the sun casts shadows.)

[b]MANUAL FOCUS[/b] - [i]MENU-REC-FOCUS-MF[/i] I use manual focus also. This is the most accurate method especially if you want to focus on a small object among other high contrast items where the auto focus might not focus on what you are interested in. I recommend using this method to understand the camera. Zoom to 200 mm and focus on things around the room.

1) Check the manual for details on the procedure and settings. Basically, I just follow the manual.

2) When on [i]MF[/i] the camera displays a small yellow rectangle. It also shows a [i]FOCUS < >[/i] . Press the < or > sides of the circle button to focus. The LCD then will show a greatly magnified view of the yellow rectangle area and you can focus with the < or > controls using the circle button. A tripod is good to hold the highly magnified image still. Test at home, camera on a tripod, by focusing on a window screen. A focus scale is also displayed. The distance of the camera to the object that it is focused on is indicated by a white square.

[b]SCALE ON LCD SCREEN & ESTIMATED DISTANCE.[/b] [color=#ff0000]EXPERIMENTAL[/color] - [color=#ff0000]I just tried this and the scale displayed is not too useable.[/color] [color=#ff0000]?[/color] Take a look at the scale when using [i]MF & FOCUS[/i]. It shows a minimum distance like 1 ft, an intermediate distance like 3.3 ft and infinity. A white square also shows the distance at which the lens is focused using the [i]FOCUS [/i]< >. In principle, it might be workeable to set distances without viewing, but the scale does not have useful distances marked. ?

[b]However,[/b] I believe that the sharp focus displayed by the greatly magnified image is more for stills or HD video focusing and you will not achieve this quality in high speed video mode because of the greatly reduced resolution. Maybe a serious still photographer can discuss?

After you get the focus down, try using the camera in direct sunlight with its fastest shutter speed of 1/40,000 sec to see the smallest motion blur that the FH100 is capable of. Use the telephoto with the camera at a safe location and get a close-up of the ball and club around impact. From behind, club head approaching ball using telephoto............

I believe that the MEMORY function, last item under [i]MENU-REC-MEMORY[/i], can save the last lens focal length and focus settings that were used so that the camera will go to these settings when it is next powered on. I find this very handy when turning the camera on and off at a tennis match. It might be possible to just use Memory and point & place the camera, say, 6 paces away from a golfer and not have to focus......not certain...see ZOOM POSITION & FOCUS in.... MEMORY.....??

Sample tennis videos & others
[url="https://vimeo.com/user6237669/videos"]https://vimeo.com/user6237669/videos[/url]

[quote name='bacc' timestamp='1240319330' post='1645439']
One other difference between the FH20 and the FC100 that may be important for some:

The lens on the FH20 is wider at the bottom end of the range (26mm on the FH20 vs 37mm for the FC100) which means you can put the camera closer and still get the full swing in frame. For folks recording in tight quarters, this will be important.
[/quote]

How far away does one have to be in order to get a full shot using the FC100? i'm having some difficulties. Thanks.

[quote name='dhc1' timestamp='1360762982' post='6419587']
[size=4]How far away does one have to be in order to get a full shot using the FC100? i'm having some difficulties. Thanks.[/size]
[/quote]
It's not that far ... 10 feet ? Have you tried the FC100 ?
Try 15 feet and if you look small ... move it closer ?

[quote name='PuttingDoctor' timestamp='1360794692' post='6423307']
[size=6]Sony[/size] [size=6]HDRAS15/B[/size] POV action camera,
- Sony's answer to the Hero 3.

[size=6]JVC PX-100[/size]
up to [color=#ff0000][b]600 FPS[/b][/color]
shutter or aperture priority settings.
No you don't get full resolution at 600fps but you can go all the way to HD1080 at 60 so it might just be what the industry and fat of wallet can replace the Casio cameras with. Initial price is going to be $999..
[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]Interesting Cameras :) [/size]
[size=4]I collected some info [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/250245-casio-camera-thread/page__st__720#entry6400947"]here[/url][/size]

I think I just got a good deal on a FH100, shipped, taxes, etc $303 brand new. I couldn't find one for less so maybe I didn't do that well. Hopefully it was not a mistake, it is a reputable Big Box store. I will let you know when it ships.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1361435934' post='6470529']
I think I just got a good deal on a FH100, shipped, taxes, etc $303 brand new. [/quote]

Awesome welcome to the club :)

Here is some Tryx footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8SOalQpqKU

• 4 weeks later...

Q: What kind of camera and software did you use to make these? I'd be interested in doing something similar.

A: I used a Panasonic LX7. These are screen grabs from the video. The LX7 has manual controls up to 60 fps and does have a 120 fps setting at 720p. It doesn't have manual control on the 120 fps setting but has always picked a fast shutter speed in decent light. I used Photoshop to create the jpeg image, but could probably be done in any photo editor. Let me know if you need anything else.

frontpage-001.jpg?v=2032

Thanks jvw: looks good.

Looking forward to seeing some face on Drivers swings in broad daylight !

Are there good in camera controls ? Can you easily review your swings on the range ?

I have a Canon PowerShot Elph 110 HS on the way. It is supposed to shoot 120 fps at 640x480 and 240 fps at 320x240 with an automated shutter that will go up to 1/2000 sec with good lighting. It is going for $139 on amazon and has a 3" LCD.

I will post some videos up once I get it. Hopefully you do not need perfect sunlight for the 1/2000 shutter to kick in.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1363917594' post='6661337']
1/2000 shutter to kick in.
[/quote]
Other than a non-blurry shaft in Face On video ... is there a way to know what shutter speed was used for any individual video ? With some metadata in the video ?

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1363921436' post='6661837']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1363917594' post='6661337']
[/quote]
Other than a non-blurry shaft in Face On video ... is there a way to know what shutter speed was used for any individual video ? With some metadata in the video ?
[/quote]

I do not know since I do not have it yet. It should be here Monday and I will play around with it if it isn't 10* outside. It is colder than a well diggers butt this week.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

You have to video something with a known velocity moving across the frame and measure the blur of a point. I found a disc that mounts on rotating drills. The nominal drill RPM can be used to select the drill and then the actual RPM can be gotten from the video itself.

The principles of exposure times (shutter speeds) are the same for videos and stills.

For calibration you might also use a DSLR with known fast shutter to take a still of the moving point. Accuracy of shutter speed for the DSLR -? Set the DSLR to 1/2000 sec and take a picture of a point on a rotating disc. Compare to the same object in the high speed video.

This image shows a still from the Casio FH100 with a shutter speed of 1/640 sec. The velocity in the center is 0 and there is no motion blur. The velocity and motion blur increase out from the center.

R0~TS560x560~1411613.jpg

While there is motion blur, there is no distortion because the Casio FH100 has a leaf shutter for stills. Most smaller cameras probably do also. Larger DSLR cameras usually have a mechanical focal plane shutter that will produce distortions - club shaft bending. Therefore, with a leaf shutter there is no mechanical shutter distortion such as you get with a DSLR focal plane shutter. In manual mode for stills, the Casio FH100's fastest shutter is 1/1000 sec but for shutter priority mode ("S") it goes to 1/2000 sec. (Check this as I don't do stills often.) Mechanical shutter distortions are similar to but different than electronic 'rolling shutter' Jello Effect distortions.

Point being, using a Casio FH100, if you want a high resolution still of your golf swing with minimal distortion - club shaft bending - use shutter priority modes ("S") and a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec.

http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50702411

http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50993374

If you want to use the burst mode for high resolution stills select the mechanical shutter (page 55, Casio EX FH100 user's manual). The frame rate for the mechanical burst mode goes up to 10 fps whereas the electronic burst mode will go to 40 fps, but has much more distortion. I'm not sure of the fastest shutter speed in the burst mode.

Video File Metadata. Surprising detail does exist in video file metadata according to this forum thread - see reply #16 and earlier ones showing the Excel spread sheet.

http://www.avsforum....e#post_22296449

The software to view the video metadata is probably too expensive just to see the shutter speed.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1364061806' post='6672221']
It's really no big deal to view metadata of photos or video files as there a bunch of freeware apps that will do that, it just depends upon whether the camera is saving that info or not.
[/quote]
Do you use any [i]?[/i]
[size=4]I tried MediaInfo (no luck).[/size]
[size=4]I am trying [/size][background=rgb(245, 245, 255)][color="#000000"]XDCam Clip Browser (no luck).[/color][/background]
[color=#000000][size=4][background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]XnView (no luck) - good for thumbnail sheets (contact sheets).[/background][/size][/color]

[quote name='mteam' timestamp='1364234239' post='6690265']
Struggling to find a casio in the uk would this camera be ok [url="http://snapsort.com/cameras/Fujfilm-F600-EXR"]http://snapsort.com/...ujfilm-F600-EXR[/url]

Thanks
[/quote]

I searched briefly to the effect - camera model + golf + high speed video + youtube

None for the F600 popped up in the first few Google pages. But I found this golf video for the Fujifilm F660 -

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ1bBFPOlnk[/media]

There is no way to tell whether the photographer had used the camera with settings to produce the least motion blur that the camera is capable of.

You can see by the shadows that it was taken in direct sunlight. You can also see the motion blur throughout the swing including excessive motion blur that makes the club head and shaft impossible to see. If this is the best that the F660 can do it does not look useful for golf.

From this one video you can not be certain that the F660 could not be used for high speed video of golf swings Because very few photographers probably have operated their cameras to get the smallest motion blur and we don't know how the AUTO exposure works, you should seach for more F660 Youtube HSV videos. The F660 needs more research.

You can probably download the user's manual for the F600 from Fujifilm. I believe, but do not know, that you will not be able to determine the shutter speed that any AUTO exposure control HSV cameras will use in the user's manuals or elsewhere on the internet. .

Does anyone have a link for any camera, where the shutter speed is clearly stated for HSV mode, other than for manual exposure control cameras? Some high speed cameras that don't have manual control may use shutter priority for high speed video mode. ? Any links for cameras that have shutter priority but not manual exposure control for HSV mode?

My 60 fps Aiptek ActionHD and many current smartphone video cameras choose very fast shutter speeds in direct sunlight. But unless you

1) have a reliable example of the video showing best motion blur in direct sunlight (Youtube, etc.)
2) or have the camera in hand and can test it in direct sunlight (Buy or borrow the camera.)
3) or find the shutter speed clearly stated [b]for HSV mode [/b]in the user's manual or specs (Is this info ever available anywhere?)

then there is no way to know the motion blur.

There are other issues such as recording time in HSV mode, available in the user's manual, Jello Effect distortions, etc..... ,

For example, the Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS, in reply #755, has a recording time in HSV mode of only 30 seconds, according to the user's manual. That is useable but short. The motion blur looks good. The user's manual states a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec (or 1/1500 sec?).,but is that for the still camera mode or high speed video mode?

I just received my Canon Powershot Elph 110 HS today, The manual refers to the shutter as "automatically set range - 1-1/2000 sec for recording and 15 -1/2000 for all shooting modes.. I haven't been able to use it since it is cold and I am traveling but I have read through the entire manual. I can't believe how small this thing is. I will post some videos from it by Friday.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='mteam' timestamp='1364320514' post='6699273']
Thanks for the info Chas

Is this the same camera as the [color=#282828]Canon Powershot Elph 110 HS[/color] [url="http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-IXUS-125-HS-specs"]http://snapsort.com/...US-125-HS-specs[/url] if so I'll order one of these, Is a special memory card needed for the high speed video
[/quote]

100HS & 110HS are different models. For details, Google for the specs or download the full user's manuals. The manuals have the SD card recommended by the manuafacturer, probably a Class 10 card.

[quote name='mteam' timestamp='1364407621' post='6707933']
Thanks

I've ordered the ixus 125 hs and a class 10 sdhc card. I'll post a clip up once i get it
[/quote]

The ixus125 is the 110 HS and the Class 10 card works the best from what I have read. I am getting ready to use mine today and tomorrow. The sun is not out so I will be interested to see how it does with cloud cover.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='mteam' timestamp='1364593738' post='6722391']
As promised vid from the canon Ixus125/110 HS shot at 120fps [size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Thanks - [/size][size=4]Can you post a face on sometime later when you get the chance. That's what tells a good camera from a not so good one :)[/size]

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1364411864' post='6708427']
[quote name='mteam' timestamp='1364407621' post='6707933']
Thanks

I've ordered the ixus 125 hs and a class 10 sdhc card. I'll post a clip up once i get it
[/quote]

The ixus125 is the 110 HS and the Class 10 card works the best from what I have read. I am getting ready to use mine today and tomorrow. The sun is not out so I will be interested to see how it does with cloud cover.
[/quote]

Hstead -

How is the new camera (Elph 110 HS) working out?