2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Casio camera thread

I like it. It is really easy to use and the editing is slick. The down side with this camera is that you need sunlight for the Auto to select 1/2000 shutter or else you wind up with a blurry shaft. So on overcast days, it is limited. I use a SD Card reader with the laptop and iPad and it is cake to transfer videos fast so you can use V1 etc. I have only used it a few times but on sunny days I like it quite a bit. It serves the purpose for me and what I do.

This is 240 fps on a sunny day - youtube doesn't look as good as the camera LCD or computer. The LCD on the camera is really bright so you can see it well in the sun which is a plus too.

[media=]http://youtu.be/durBfVVBwlE[/media]

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain resolution size?

I have googled the manual and the specs for the Canon EX 110 HS. They show super slow motion at 640x480 at 120 fps

Does that mean that the size of the video window when I play it on my computer is 640x480 pixels?

How can I tell how big that would be on my screen, I don't know what a pixel is?

Hstead posted a video just above this post, is that 640x480? I think he used a Canon 110HS camera.

Thank you

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1365293551' post='6775937']
Potentially dumb question, don't be shy in telling me if it is.

When you film with your FH100, do you shoot one swing at a time, or can you let it run and shoot several and edit later?
[/quote]

The only thing that makes your question a stupid one is that you have the camera. Try it.

[quote name='buckeye88us' timestamp='1365300770' post='6776773']
Potentially dumb question, don't be shy in telling me if it is.

When you film with your FH100, do you shoot one swing at a time, or can you let it run and shoot several and edit later?
[/quote]

I shoot 3 swings at a time, then view and edit.
[/quote]

Thanks.

[size=4]When you film with your FH100, do you shoot one swing at a time, or can you let it run and shoot several and edit later?[/size]
[/quote]
I do them one at a time.
I trim them right away as well (get rid of the useless stuff at the start and end.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1365295472' post='6776137']
I did say don't hold back. :-)

Now, if someone who has one and uses it has a thought (we've covered stupid), thanks in advance.
[/quote]

lol, if given permission to be rude I will always oblige.

I will set up 4 balls clearly visible on camera, then I will take 4 swings while trying to remember which swing was the best representative of the group. Then on playback you can edit out what comes before and after. So, if it's the 2nd swing I'll choose the clip with 3 balls on the mat.

The new sony action cam looks nice. It also works with the v1 pro ap.

[url="http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666484197&langId=-1&XID=A:7031863:CJ#features"]http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666484197&langId=-1&XID=A:7031863:CJ#features[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfqyPZUsEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfqyPZUsEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

SunkTheBirdie and others with Casio F1, FH20, FH25 & FH100 high performance cameras or other cameras with very high speed shutters - Here are some interesting camera set ups that could show what high speed video cameras can do with very fast shutter speeds:

Practice setting this up beforehand where you have time and not on a busy golf course

1) [b]Close-up of Club Head Striking Ball from Behind along Trajectory[/b]. Video with direct bright sunlight only. Place the camera very low or on the ground looking along the line from the golf ball to the golf flag pole. Set the camera well back and use telephoto, maybe even 240 mm lens setting (FH100). ?? Frame a closeup of the ball in the lower part of the frame and try to show as much of the ball's trajectory toward the hole as possible. Ideally, the camera might be placed below the ball height in a ground depression and looking up slightly along the trajectory. Always minimize the amount of wasted frame showing nothing but grass in the foreground. It is also possible to add a mirror placed along side the the golf ball so that a side view can be added to the behind view in the same video clip. Painting a pattern on the ball might show spin. With the FH100 try 240 & 420 fps. As a goal, try to see how squarely you strike the ball and how true the direction of the club swing is relative to the line between the golf ball and pole, also any slice, etc.

Shutter speed: Slower shutter speeds than 1/40000 sec will also work but motion blur increases......... I believe that the above Casio models can manually set 1/40,000 sec shutter speed and that for faster f-numbers and high ISO settings, like the FH100, might produce strong exposures in direct sunlight with the lens at short focal lengths. Using telephoto as recommended decreases exposure so that you may have to slow down the shutter even with maximum ISO (3200, etc.). For the FH100, set the ISO [b]manually[/b] to 3200 and do not leave it on ISO "AUTO".

2) [b]Side View of Club Head Striking the Ball[/b] - Set the camera at a safe distance to the side and frame a close-up of the ball with the side view. To show more trajectory, frame the ball in lower left corner for a RH golfer. To show more of the approaching club head, frame the ball in the lower center. Again, minimize any dead space with grass in the foreground. For this you might even try the 1,000 fps as well as the 240 & 420 frame rates (FH100).

The Casio FH150 might also have a very fast shutter speed of 1/40,000 sec. See Reply #738 this thread for FC150 video and link. The FC150 is no longer manufactured.

You may see Jello Effect distortions when doing these close-ups. To identify JE, rotate the camera 90[b][size=4]°[/size][/b],180[b][size=4]°[/size][/b], 270[b][size=4]°[/size][/b] and repeat the experiment.

You can try this with other cameras that have AUTO exposure control and might set very fast shutter speed in bright sunlight. These might produce useful results especially from the behind viewpoint.

I've mentioned this before, but I am very happy using my HTC One X phone. It has a high-speed capture option which works very nicely. In bright sun the shutter is very fast. I do not know the specs but I bought the phone for this feature. The video is very clear. The 4.7" screen is excellent for reviewing the swing. You can advance quickly to the start of the swing, frame advance and trim easily. It's also a great phone and the convenience of using your phone for capturing the golf swing is undeniable. The player swing a driver at 115+ so this 8 iron is probably low 90s. Unfortunately, I don't have a driver in bright sun. http://youtu.be/QQfE8pdV9bw

[media=]

[/media]

HTCOneXgolfFaceOn_zps1c452dab.jpg

little bit of shaft bending at P6.

impact looked good.

Here is one Japanese ebay seller with the lion share of good Casio Cameras.

ebay name: kz-works2006

HTC One X phone.

I think that phone is around $500.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='PingEye2' timestamp='1365958854' post='6839171']
Thank you sunk! [/quote]
Anytime :)

OLD THREAD on HTC One X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/741217-another-camera-thread-are-u-kidding-me/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/741217-another-camera-thread-are-u-kidding-me/[/url]

[quote name='Eag1e' timestamp='1351306987' post='5852977']
Canon ELPH100HS. I got mine for $200 brand new at Sam's Club.

Edit: Just googled, now two years later you can get them refurbished directly from Canon for only $107. How does this camera go unnoticed by golfwrx? Its slow motion videos are as good as anyone could ever need for personal use. [/quote]
Canon ELPH 100HS looks like a good option.

Phone is less than $100 with a contract.

I put those pics on the other thread. Brought it up again as I can't believe no one seems to consider it. i had the Canon before it died from the old lens error. This phone is much better to me....much larger screen to view the swing, much crisper image. And we all carry phones anyway. If you have a desire to film your swing, need a phone and don't want to drop $500 on a Casio it's a no-brainier.

Been browsing this topic for some months now and finally it's time to go out and buy a Camera, budget arond £200GBP

I want to go casio route and the FH100 is, as we all know , no longer available.

I'm looking at the current ZR200, with those in the know, is there anything on the ZR200 that's missing which will see me want to upgrade in a couple of months time?

Thanks in advance for responding.

J.

[quote name='Jens0n' timestamp='1366030272' post='6847237']
............................................................................................................
I'm looking at the current ZR200, with those in the know, is there anything on the ZR200 that's missing which will see me want to upgrade in a couple of months time?
[/quote]
Search ZR200, this thread, for several replies.

Saw a cool golf camera site
[url="http://www.golfvideocameras.com/casio-golf-video-cameras/"]http://www.golfvideocameras.com/casio-golf-video-cameras/[/url]
I asked them to join us here :)
I don't see a review of the FH100 ! Ouch.

I noticed this camcorder was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but the newly released JVC GC-PX100 looks promising:

120/240/300 fps at 640x360
420/600 fps at 320x176

I've only seen one reference to max shutter speed (1/4000) but everything I've read seems to indicate that it has full manual exposure control. Can anyone confirm this? I also can't find any golf swing videos posted online that were taken with this model.

[quote name='Golf Pig' timestamp='1366748526' post='6902387']
I noticed this camcorder was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but the newly released JVC GC-PX100 looks promising:
[/quote]
ask in the jvc forum at dpreview.com
see if you can find someone with it and ask them the specific question.

420/600 fps at 320x176

I've only seen one reference to max shutter speed (1/4000) but everything I've read seems to indicate that it has full manual exposure control. Can anyone confirm this? I also can't find any golf swing videos posted online that were taken with this model.
[/quote]

List price is $1,000, and it's DSLR big. That's going to keep it out of most golf bags.

420/600 fps at 320x176

[/quote]

No manual shutter speed control in high speed video mode according to this reply, double check the information.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51395250