Casio camera thread

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golftec uses 60 fps

In all seriousness. Mike and Joe are pretty sharp. At the same time they are very conservative when it comes to technology. They really live by the "if it ain't broke" credo. However, I think the high speed cameras that we are using now ( Casio FH-20 --mine should be here this afternoon ) might have to wait. But you all people should know about that. Especially since the collossal flop of SEVA Putt. What a disaster. I honestly was embarrassed to even bring it up. Everybody here is using SAM. The kicker with SAM and even SEVA Putt is how proficient are analyzing the data? All those pretty colorful numbers if you don't know how to apply them. You speak very intellegently here. I'm sure you had to question the legitimacy of SEVA Putt. I know I bust your balls, but I really do respect most the guys at GT. It's just such a ATM machine. GT clients always have their hands in their pockets because of used car salls push. I don't know if your at the franchisw store or not but the corporate stores detest instructors that want to teach outside. Quote: ( it undermines our methodology ) Uh..what it undermines is your business model. :russian_roulette:

Good luck dano

Golftec uses 60 fps

In all seriousness. Mike and Joe are pretty sharp. At the same time they are very conservative when it comes to technology. They really live by the "if it ain't broke" credo. However, I think the high speed cameras that we are using now ( Casio FH-20 --mine should be here this afternoon ) might have to wait. But you all people should know about that. Especially since the collossal flop of SEVA Putt. What a disaster. I honestly was embarrassed to even bring it up. Everybody here is using SAM. The kicker with SAM and even SEVA Putt is how proficient are analyzing the data? All those pretty colorful numbers if you don't know how to apply them. You speak very intellegently here. I'm sure you had to question the legitimacy of SEVA Putt. I know I bust your balls, but I really do respect most the guys at GT. It's just such a ATM machine. GT clients always have their hands in their pockets because of used car salls push. I don't know if your at the franchisw store or not but the corporate stores detest instructors that want to teach outside. Quote: ( it undermines our methodology ) Uh..what it undermines is your business model. :russian_roulette:

Good luck dano

Franchise store. I video all short game and playing lessons. Trust me I know what you're saying, I paid to be an AI out of pocket and actually took heat for taking time off to go through it. I have a TOMI for personal use but I may be getting rid of it. I think putting should be more instinctual and less mechanical. D plane is all that matters. Many of the best putters in the world have bad technique numbers on the SAM but near perfect consistency.

I have the Casio FH-20 and have been delighted with it......it has the pre record mode which is excellent and really allows you to cut down on the need to ever cut or trim the video's you have been taking........

I have 2 downsides to the camera that I have found and they are that the camera is VERY hungry when it comes to "eating" batteries, this means you ahve to have a few back up supplies with you if you are at a golf event and were wanting to get a lot of footage shot.........the second one is that when it gets put onto the teaching software, in order to get the image to fit the screen (when shot at 420 fps) the image ends up looking VERY pixilated as it has had to be blown up in order for it to fir the screen, this means that you have to shrink the image in order to keep the quality from the fotatge ;)

Here are a couple of swings shot at 420fps and they are VERY clear

Cheers Dan

Believe that's 210 fps......... that's what iteach uses. No 240 available that I know of... next option is

420 fps, then 1000 fps. dts

Correct I've only used 210 and HD when looking solely at the pivot. I used 1000 for a putting stroke and it was almost too much. I think 210 is more than enough for golf.

IMOP the 210fps works VERY well, but it has some slight shaft distortion yet the swings at 420fps have zero shaft distortion and allow you to clearly see the club throughout the whole swing.

Cheers Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHsGeSxV54

I don't like the swing but this shows quality outside. Looks way better on my mac before youtube compresses it.

Outstanding move. My left ankle is killing me. All the practice I've done is tough. I have be careful to not overcook the weight on my left side. I'm an old man so I have to get out of walker just to hit.

From the MyTPI article on the Casio FC-100..............

It also has Casio’s high speed filming function that enables you to film up to 1000 frames per second. The picture quality is great but it has one major flaw. Unlike the Casio EX-F1 and the EX-FH20, you can’t set you shutter speed. It has an auto shutter which falls flat on its face when filming fast moving images like a golf club. The student is perfect but the club shaft is blurred due to the lack of shutter priority. Controlling the shutter speed is a must for filming a golf swing.

Hoganfan, iTeach et al., ....... does it matter IYO? HF you have seen the FH20 results during your recent trip south........ how do they compare for image quality and clarity? thanks, DTS

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Learning_Tech...icle.asp?id=745

Bump for you guys with the FC-100. MyTPI recommends against the FC-100 if you want to see the golf club. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you agree that the golf club is blurry and, if so, is it moreso than you are happy with?

2. On the FH20, what shutter speed would you normally use to sharpen up the image of the club.

I'm mostly wondering about the 210fps mode since it seems the general consensus is that it's the best for filming the swing and getting nice quality video.

Thank

Shutter speed and frame rate are two different things. Obviously shutter speed must be at least the speed of the frame rate. In other words, if you're filming at 210 fps, the shutter speed has to be 1/210 of a second or faster.

Now, I would recommend at LEAST 1/1000, but I set it to the fastest possible for available light levels. On an overcast day, it might be 1/500, but today it was sunny out, and I was messing around with 1/10000-1/16000.

It also depends on what angle you're shooting. If it's down the line, shutter speed isn't as important as there's very little visible "motion" of the clubhead compared to a front view, where the clubhead is moving 100 mph or so.

I've messed around with 1000 fps, with a tight shot of the ball, and if you want the ball to be clear, you really need at least 1/10000 of a sec.

btw, I haven't read the fc100 manual (I own the FC20), but I would be shocked if you can't manually adjust shutter speed.

I just found this discussion on the Casio cameras. I'm aware of the FH20, but didn't know about the FC100. Are you saying that the FC100 has selectable realtime (30 fps) camera playback of 210 fps recordings? What about fast fwd capability ?

Yep and can edit/trim the video on the camera.

Note that on the FC20 and FC100, the fast forward is NOT REALLY fast forward. It skips frames to speed up the playback. You CANNOT play a swing recorded in high frame rate at a "normal" playback speed.

I have the Casio FH-20 and have been delighted with it......it has the pre record mode which is excellent and really allows you to cut down on the need to ever cut or trim the video's you have been taking........

I have 2 downsides to the camera that I have found and they are that the camera is VERY hungry when it comes to "eating" batteries, this means you ahve to have a few back up supplies with you if you are at a golf event and were wanting to get a lot of footage shot.........the second one is that when it gets put onto the teaching software, in order to get the image to fit the screen (when shot at 420 fps) the image ends up looking VERY pixilated as it has had to be blown up in order for it to fir the screen, this means that you have to shrink the image in order to keep the quality from the fotatge ;)

Here are a couple of swings shot at 420fps and they are VERY clear

Dan, if you're using CSwing, go into Swing Properties and check the box that says "Progressive" for the video type. That will help with the pixelation some. By default, this is not checked, and Cswing is doing some funny things with scanlines otherwise. I also think that Cswing does kind of a lousy job at zooming on video.

From the MyTPI article on the Casio FC-100..............

It also has Casio's high speed filming function that enables you to film up to 1000 frames per second. The picture quality is great but it has one major flaw. Unlike the Casio EX-F1 and the EX-FH20, you can't set you shutter speed. It has an auto shutter which falls flat on its face when filming fast moving images like a golf club. The student is perfect but the club shaft is blurred due to the lack of shutter priority. Controlling the shutter speed is a must for filming a golf swing.

Hoganfan, iTeach et al., ....... does it matter IYO? HF you have seen the FH20 results during your recent trip south........ how do they compare for image quality and clarity? thanks, DTS

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Learning_Tech...icle.asp?id=745

Bump for you guys with the FC-100. MyTPI recommends against the FC-100 if you want to see the golf club. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you agree that the golf club is blurry and, if so, is it moreso than you are happy with?

2. On the FH20, what shutter speed would you normally use to sharpen up the image of the club.

I'm mostly wondering about the 210fps mode since it seems the general consensus is that it's the best for filming the swing and getting nice quality video.

Thank

Shutter speed and frame rate are two different things. Obviously shutter speed must be at least the speed of the frame rate. In other words, if you're filming at 210 fps, the shutter speed has to be 1/210 of a second or faster.

Now, I would recommend at LEAST 1/1000, but I set it to the fastest possible for available light levels. On an overcast day, it might be 1/500, but today it was sunny out, and I was messing around with 1/10000-1/16000.

It also depends on what angle you're shooting. If it's down the line, shutter speed isn't as important as there's very little visible "motion" of the clubhead compared to a front view, where the clubhead is moving 100 mph or so.

I've messed around with 1000 fps, with a tight shot of the ball, and if you want the ball to be clear, you really need at least 1/10000 of a sec.

btw, I haven't read the fc100 manual (I own the FC20), but I would be shocked if you can't manually adjust shutter speed.

Larrybud:

Your posts on the basics of the Casio high fps cameras are EPIC ! When I get mine you know I'm going straight to these posts for a quick reference guide. Will save me and likely many others a lot of messing around. Thanks !!

Hey, thanks Kerry. I'm a golf nerd, computer nerd, programming nerd, and gadget nerd... so it's like a perfect storm.

Oh, here's another tidbit on the FC20. In the setup menu, you can set it so it remembers how much zoom you have the lens set at. When you power off (or if it goes into sleep mode or auto power off) the lens will go back where it was.

Hey, thanks Kerry. I'm a golf nerd, computer nerd, programming nerd, and gadget nerd... so it's like a perfect storm.

Oh, here's another tidbit on the FC20. In the setup menu, you can set it so it remembers how much zoom you have the lens set at. When you power off (or if it goes into sleep mode or auto power off) the lens will go back where it was.

Thanks Larry ! Can I ask you about when you wrote "Note that on the FC20 and FC100, the fast forward is NOT REALLY fast forward. It skips frames to speed up the playback. You CANNOT play a swing recorded in high frame rate at a "normal" playback speed."

Are saying Larry, that if you want to record your swing in slo mo and regular speed you will need to take two separate recordings because viewing a slo mo (say 210 fps) recording at regular speed (where it skips frames) will not be high quality ?

Also, which program(s) do you personally prefer to 1) edit and 2) view your files on your computer when using the FH20 ? (NON Mac please if you are so inclined).

I decided to post up some swing videos I took today with my fc100.

210 fps:

Down the line with an iron.....

Down the line with Driver....

Face on with iron.....

Face on with Driver......

420fps:

Putt #1

Putt #2

Loving this camera so far. I love how I can look at my swing out on the range and make any changes necessary.....

Scott

Thanks to all who have taken the time to "review" the fc100. It looks to be more than adequate to review/critique one's golf swing when in the video mode.

How does the fc100 function as an everyday point and shoot camera? Have been on some photgraphy web sites that say the still pictures are "grainy." Does the fc100 take decent still photos too?

Can anyone with experience of the FH20 give me some pointers on how to adjust settings on the camera to give me the best video output? I'm using the camera outdoors but still find I'm getting dark subjects when filming on the 210fps mode. Someone has suggested you go into a more manual mode but I'm not a Camera person.

Can anyone with experience of the FH20 give me some pointers on how to adjust settings on the camera to give me the best video output? I'm using the camera outdoors but still find I'm getting dark subjects when filming on the 210fps mode. Someone has suggested you go into a more manual mode but I'm not a Camera person.

Where is the sun positioned? Ideally, you'd want the sun behind the camera operator.

I bought my EXF1 from wolf's camera .

Any difference in quality of video's in EXF1 and FC 100, besides size .

The video's posted in the forum made using fc 100 do not look as great as what i see on my mac with EXF1 .

Is the quality not good when you post them on line .

EXF1 is bulky for sure .

Wondering the issue with the bulkiness, doesn't everyone drag the tripod out for recording, so its not like you can just chuck a camera in your pocket, grab your golf bag and hit the practice tee ??