Casio camera thread

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1422302528' post='10822169']
You sure that's shot at 1/2000th? Even at 1/250th on the casio the clubhead is at least visible face on (albeit a long blur path). I don't even see a ghost of the club in your face on video.
[/quote]

I agree, and the golf ball blur also is very long considering that the ball is going away from the camera. A 100 MPH object, 1760" per second, moves 0.9 inches in 1/2000 sec. It would appear to move even less from the behind view because the ball is mostly going away from the camera. The motion blur looks inches long.

Maybe the camera is in auto exposure control for high speed video mode but AEC does not include [i]shutter priority[/i] when it is in high speed video mode. Shutter priority is a particular auto exposure control function. Sometimes information of what functions do not work in high speed video mode is mentioned in the user's manual instructions especially in footnotes, mostly it is difficult to find and impossible in the sales literature.

Finding out the actual shutter speed is the wide spread critical problem when buying a high speed video camera for golf swings.

prestiege should take a video from the side view and the shutter speed can be evaluated by estimating that the golf club is moving at 100 MPH and there will be 1.8" of blur for each millisecond of shutter speed. To see exactly how fast the shutter speed can be use the widest angle lens setting and video in direct bright sunlight. Then even if the camera goes into some unknow automatic exposure control mode we can see approximately what the fastest shutter speed capablity is.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill play with the camera a little more in the next few days. this was the first time out with it. maybe during video even though the dial is set to M, P, S, or A it diverts to auto, ill have dig through the manual a bit.

being in chicago, its gonna be a few before i can do much outside.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[attachment=2589781:Screenshot_2015-01-27-06-39-13.png]

Nothing was in the user manual that came with the camera but after downloading a reference manual from nikons website I found the above. Looks like the manual controls works for video, even hs. Thing is I didnt see a 1/4000 option when changing the settings

is there something else I can set up artificially that you guys will be able to determine the shutter speed?

G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

"Continuous H" might be a burst mode still function. ?

Look in the video footnotes.

A camera with automatic exposure control in high speed video mode is likely to select it fastest shutter speed with

1) the fastest lens setting such as the widest angle zoom setting
2) in bright sunlight
3) with a brighter background, not dark tree shadows, etc.

Test - Fastest shutter speed available from a Canon Powershot 110 HS camera.
[url="http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3059#p3059"]http://www.kinovea.o...?pid=3059#p3059[/url]

Digging a little further in the book, that image I attached pertains to still shots while set to continuous video mode variances, it will fire off 25 pictures if the camera is set at 120 or 50 pictures set at 60, havent found much on actual video taken yet

Depending on the options chosen, some of the choices of shutter speeds are blacked out and cannot be chosen is what is happening while changing stuff in the options of the camera.

Looks like it unfortunately reverts to auto when taking video though. i filmed a few things like a quarter spinning, a spring bouncing back and forth, water splashing with the shutter at different settings and all the videos looked exactly the same. Why is this so hard for manufactures to add. there's a hack floating around to get into a special menu on canons' that allows shutter control so these options seem to already be there but turned off and hidden

G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone found a camera under 1000.00 that has manual control and 720p 120fps with at least 1/4000 shutter speed? been searching and reading manuals all week and apparently nothing out there has manual control

G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1423140716' post='10888997']
has anyone found a camera under 1000.00 that has manual control and 720p 120fps with at least 1/4000 shutter speed? been searching and reading manuals all week and apparently nothing out there has manual control
[/quote] I thought the Casio FH 20 gave you what you are looking for.

[quote name='LaterOn61' timestamp='1423285254' post='10904167']
[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1423140716' post='10888997']
[/quote] I thought the Casio FH 20 gave you what you are looking for.
[/quote]

The casios still are the best for this specific purpose, but for whatever reason every post on this thread seems like it's about anything other than the casios, even though the casios are relatively cheap and known to be the best for this purpose....

Every f20/25 casio ive seen on amazon is going for nearly 2000.00, don't wanna pay that for a used camera. The casio's are limited to 640x480 in 120fps i believe and 240fps was like 340x220. Im willing to spend a few bucks for 1080p 120fps 720p 240fps but i cant drop 5000.00+ on a phantom or black magic.

To tie me over i picked up a lumix zs40. At least it does 720p 120fps and 480p 240fps. No manual shutter in high speed video, no time limit on length 9f recording, it tops out at 1/2000 but hopefully in daylight come summer it will choose a fast enough shutter. Im hoping if it doesnt the 240fps mode will make some of the shaft blur a little less

Ill add some videos next time out to the dome

G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

Hello. I recently purchased the Casio EX FH100 and have a quick question about a constant clicking noise. The other day, i was inside my home learning how to use my new camera. I must have made a few odd adjustments which caused the camera to continously autofocus. But, this was not a typical autofocus situation. I realized what the camera was doing and pointed at 1 object to see if the constant clicking noise would stop...but it did not. The focus was back and forth, back and forth. If i did not turn off the autofocus feature, i could see the clicking noises not stopping. Im wondering if there is a setting that i messed up? Or if it had to do with the environment? (Inside, low light) Or, which i fear greatly, if there is some internal damage with this camera and i need to send back to Casio for repair. Thank you for your help.n

[quote name='m_cat12' timestamp='1424020174' post='10957595']
Hello. I recently purchased the Casio EX FH100 and have a quick question about a constant clicking noise. The other day, i was inside my home learning how to use my new camera. I must have made a few odd adjustments which caused the camera to continously autofocus. But, this was not a typical autofocus situation. I realized what the camera was doing and pointed at 1 object to see if the constant clicking noise would stop...but it did not. The focus was back and forth, back and forth. If i did not turn off the autofocus feature, i could see the clicking noises not stopping. Im wondering if there is a setting that i messed up? Or if it had to do with the environment? (Inside, low light) Or, which i fear greatly, if there is some internal damage with this camera and i need to send back to Casio for repair. Thank you for your help.n
[/quote]

The camera has an auto focus always on. I have not used that. If the camera is pointed at different objects or something moves in front of it it would re-focus. If nothing moves and the camera is still, I would expect to it to stop focusing.

Click through all items on the menu a few times to become familiar with what is available for controls. The user's manual is available as a download from Casio.

My fh100 is set so that I push the still trigger half way down to focus. Some settings reset when the camera is powered off. There are controls to save many of those settings, keep them the same when the camera is poweredf off.

Search: [i]casio fh100 kinovea chas[/i] [i]435 [/i]
You can find a post on the fh100 settings.

i

[quote name='m_cat12' timestamp='1424020174' post='10957595']
[/quote]

I don't think it should make clicking noises while auto-focusing. I have a FC100 that I dropped a few times too many and when I tried to turn it on it extended the lens and then made these clicking noises and then turned off. I had to open it up and by trial and error set the "lever" in the focus lens in the right place and got it to function after many tries (no more clicking noises). If you still have warranty I think you should get it repaired..

[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1423451410' post='10914995']
Every f20/25 casio ive seen on amazon is going for nearly 2000.00, don't wanna pay that for a used camera.
[/quote]

$450 just for buy it now, and you can probably get it for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Digital-Camera-EX-FH20-/201284469939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd7d44b3

Don't forget the huge news ...or possible big news as posted earlier. Casio has a new high speed video camera with manual exposure control, the Casio Ex 100Pro. ~$870. But it currently is only available in Japan.

I have been searching for new and Youtubes but have not found useful information since the camera's release on Jan 15, 2015 in Japan.

Please post any new Youtubes, especially side views of golf swings, where the motion blur can be evaluated.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1424106755' post='10963885']
[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1423451410' post='10914995']
Every f20/25 casio ive seen on amazon is going for nearly 2000.00, don't wanna pay that for a used camera.
[/quote]

$450 just for buy it now, and you can probably get it for less.

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Digital-Camera-EX-FH20-/201284469939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd7d44b3"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item2edd7d44b3[/url]
[/quote]

iphone 6 slow mo has made any camera for golf superfluous

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• 4 months later...

FYI - Here is a new website that deals with affordable HD high speed video cameras.
[url="http://hispeedcams.com/hsc-camera-guide/"]http://hispeedcams.c...c-camera-guide/[/url]

http://hispeedcams.com/hsc-camera-guide/

A few of the other camera features that might be important for many applications:
1) whether the camera has automatic exposure control or manual exposure control.
2) shutter speeds and resulting motion blur
3) total recording time
4) Jello Effect distortion (results from delay in reading CMOS sensor lines with 'rolling shutter' readout)
5) viewing and editing capabilities on the camera. Especially if it can step through single frame.
6) other specs and features that might be important for certain applications.

Not sure how they come up with their "quality" indicator, and their specs seem to be off. For example, the Olympus SH1, the website says max res is 120 fps @ 1280*720

But the spec sheet for it says this.
1920 x 1080 (60p, 30p), 1280 x 720 (30p), 640 x 480 (30 fps)

In addition, cameras like the GoPro are completely unsuitable for sport analysis because of the fisheye lens.

My Casio fh25 crapped out but I use my iPad now and it's just as good and the screen is ten times better.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1435147374' post='11824676']
My Casio fh25 crapped out but I use my iPad now and it's just as good and the screen is ten times better.
[/quote]

Could you post a video of a swing from the side so that we can see the motion blur and Jello Effect distortion.

How is the stop-action single-frame viewing?

The Smartphones often have very fast shutters and small motion blur.

Snapsort also has spec on high speed video of various cameras. They show some high speed video modes.
[url="http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-S200-vs-Olympus-Stylus-SH-1/specs"]http://snapsort.com/...ylus-SH-1/specs[/url]

The logo of the [i]Hi-Speed Cameras[/i] site says that they are specializing in "[i]The quest for affordable, HD slow motion video[/i]".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting question for comparing HD with wide angle lenses (GoPro) to low resolution less "wide angle" lenses (Casio FH100).

There is a tricky point about comparing cameras with HD wide angle lenses to cameras with low resolution and longer focal length lenses. If you compare, it may be more reasonable to compare the center of the frame of the wide angle HD camera to the same field of view of the lower resolution camera. Not sure, but I believe that if the cameras are the same distance from the golfer the distortions and resoluton will be the same over the same angle covered. That is, the center of the HD image may have the same distortions as the low resolution camera.

For example, if the cameras were at the same distance from the object, and you recorded a vertical angle in a low resolution Casio FH100 image and compared it to the same vertical angle of a GoPro camera, the distortions may be the same. In other words, I believe that two cameras at the same distance from a golfer would have the same distortion over the field of view of the lower rersolution camera. That is, compare the distortions of 5 x 10[size=2]°[/size] of the lower resolution camera to 5 x 10[size=2]°[/size] of the HD camera.

However, when playing back videos it may be inconvenient to display or analyze only the central part of the HD video. The entire low resolution video frame would always be displayed well.

• 2 months later...

I have an EX FH100. Looking to start using it for golf swing video. I currently have V1 as my app on ipad mini.

What is the best way to get video from camera to ipad? I'm not sure I can do it directly but if I can, great, maybe I just need a certain connector? I'm no wizard when it comes to this, obviously.

If anyone with this setup has any suggestions for a different app that will work, great. Plan to experiment with 120/240 maybe higher just for fun sometime and honestly don't know if it matters to the app what the frame rate is.

Thanks.

The app is going to play back at 30 frames per second, on a video which is recorded at 120 or 240 fps, which is why it's slow motion.

I don't know anything about ipad minis, but if there isn't a SD card input on it, you could always get a wireless SD card (such as the EyeFi), which would allow the ipad to connect to the wireless network the EyeFi creates, and pull down the video there.

• 5 weeks later...

Just ordered for 111 USD included shipping my second Casio FH 20... The seller still has 3 of them available...

[attachment=2969306:Casio FH20 111 usd.jpg]

My old FH 20 still works, but only with the eye view finder - after I repaired the stuck tele, i broke a micro contact for the display!

I practice at the late afternoon to sunset and i appreciate that you can still have some decent video if lightning is anything but good - just
adjust the settings and you go... When I go to the range the Casio and my tripod is in the bag...

[media=]http://youtu.be/uGtfzeL2z_M[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/qkU4_iWqbWE[/media]

M2 8.75 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 73 X
Cally XR16 3+ Diamana Blueboard x5ct 83 X
Cally Apex Hybrid 2 18 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 103 X
Cally Apex UT 21 + 24 KBS S
Cally MB Prototypes ..R..V / DG X100 5-9 (28,32,36,40,44)
Cally MackDaddy2 47 / DG S200
Cally MackDaddy 2 Tour Grind 52 + 58 / DG S400
Odysse TriForce3 adjustable length
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/980246-best-of-callaway-witb-from-the-past/"]WITB Link[/url]