Casio camera thread

Just learned that Casio has been offering a camera with manual shutter in high speed video mode. Available from Japan.

Casio Exilim EX-100f has manual shutter in high speed video mode!

In reply to mortac8, 1 hour ago

mortac8 wrote:

120/240/480/1000fps

shutter speeds are 1/125 to 1/10000

recording time at any of those speeds seems to be about 13minutes

A user's manual is available from Casio Support. For high speed video and manual shutter settings the manual has this -

http://support.casio...B_151116_EN.pdf

"

Using BEST SHOT Use the procedure below to shoot a High Speed Movie with manually configured aperture and shutter speed settings. The ability to manually adjust shutter speed helps to reduce image blur due to subject movement.

1.In the BEST SHOT Mode, select “Manual Exposure Movie” (page 93).

2.Press [sET].

3.Use [8] and [2] to select (Aperture) and then press [sET].

4.Use [8] and [2] to select an aperture setting and then press [4].

5.Use [8] and [2] to select (Shutter Speed) and then press [sET].

6.Use [8] and [2] to select a shutter speed and then press [sET].

7.Press [0] (Movie) to start recording.

8.Press [0] (Movie) again to stop recording.

The maximum file size allowed for a single movie file is 4GB. Movie recording stops automatically when the file size becomes 4GB.

NOTE• The settings below can be configured while shooting with this function.

Movie Quality: HS120, HS240, HS480, HS1000

Shutter Speed: Auto, 1/125 to 1/10000 seconds(The actual available setting range depends on the movie quality setting.)

ISO Sensitivity: Auto, ISO80 to ISO3200(The actual available setting range depends on the shutter speed and aperture.)•

The functions below cannot be used with this functionAnti-shake Functions, Single SR Zoom, Face Detection, Make-up, Triple Se.................

Information on the camera is not easy to find. Using "100f" helped my search.

The party above purchased the camera from *mazon, imported from Japan. It is listed there as 100FBK (BK is perhaps a typo for black.?)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just learned that Casio has been offering a camera with manual shutter in high speed video mode. Available from Japan.

Casio Exilim EX-100f has manual shutter in high speed video mode!

Shutter Speed: Auto, 1/125 to 1/10000 seconds (The actual available setting range depends on the movie quality setting.)

Like the new camera stats.

Casio + Golf is Amazing.

Thanks Chas.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57669177

I got the ex-100f from amazon (sold by a seller from Japan). From all documents I have read, it is the same as the 100pro other than the multi cam synchronization and maybe a couple other features that we not relevant to my needs.

I actually prefer the Lumix LX100 for sports analysis as it has manual shutter speed settings and can do 1080p@60fps. Only downside to that camera is that the on-camera video playback isn't as robust (like I can't zoom in to portions of a video during playback) and the room range is limited (3x).

Basic High Speed Video Camera Considerations & Cameras (Chas thread)

http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435

Casio Ex 100f 240fps 1/10000 shutter speed

Casio Ex 100f 480fps 1/10000 shutter speed

To be honest, Casio needs to step their game up. I can do 1080p @ 120fps or 720p @ 240fps on the iphone 6

Panasonic HC-V770

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/cameras-camcorders/hd-camcorders/hc-v770.specs.html

https://www.panasonicstore.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/WX970-VX870-V770.pdf

Thought i'd mention a camera i haven't heard of before. Panasonic HC-V770M video camera, as well as lots of normal HD and still images it does high speed video in HiDef format shoots at 100fps and interpolates to 200fps (PAL system as here in Aus) or 120fps -> 240fps for NTSC models. It has manual control as well, shutter up to 1/8000, F1.8 at wide lens setting. Sells for AUD650-700 here. Very tempting coz it provides you with excellent normal video, hires stills and the slow mo. Benefit would be a much bigger image than you get from a casio. Can connect to your phone or tablet and do fancy stuff too.

Shutter Speed

Motion Image

[60p / 60i]

Auto Slow Shutter ON : 1/30 – 1/8000

Auto Slow Shutter OFF : 1/60 – 1/8000

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-hc-v770-review

A Full HD slow-motion option is available too, which records at 100fps. Panasonic's Crystal Engine video processor then interpolates this up to 200fps – twice that of previous models – before playing it back at 50fps.

A single press invokes Manual mode, calling up a menu offering focus, white balance, shutter and iris. Another press switches to manual picture adjustments. White balance options consist of the usual array of indoor and outdoor presets plus manual configuration.

Shutter speeds range from 1/25 (auto slow shutter on) or 1/50 (auto slow shutter off) to 1/8000th, and iris ranges from F1.8 with the lens fully wide or F3.6 when zoomed in to F16. All of these can be adjusted independently, and up to 18dB of video gain can be added to a fully open shutter.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/905128/Panasonic-Hc-V770.html?page=67

I think this was filmed with a V770

I think this was filmed with a VXXX

I don't know the camera or the conditions of this video.

You should find a Youtube of any camera model that you are interested in and do what is done below to evaluate motion blur. Use videos only of side swings (because the club moves fastest) and in bright direct sunlight (sharp shadows) with the fastest lens setting (so that the camera's automatic exposure control selects it's fastest shutter speed).

This frame from the quoted video shows how the high speed video mode displays the golf swing. The golf club shaft is falsely bent from Jello Effect distortion. The motion blur can be seen increasing as you look down the club shaft. This motion blur would make it impossible to see the club head (blur near foot). If the image of the golfer were made larger the Jello Effect distortion would be larger.

Compare this to Casio images in this thread from the F1, FH20, FH25 and FH100. My Casio FH100 would show this with much less motion blur and I could control the shutter speed manually for low lighting. The Jello Effect distortion would be much less. The new Casio Ex 100f also would do much better.

A04EAD5A449741B0B025B1F6500F6384.jpg

The picture below shows the full field of the camera. Most of its high resolution is showing things in the background that are not useful for golf swing analysis. The golf club is not visible. The resolution necessary for golf swing analysis is the resolution required to see fingers, the ball, and the club head = it's low resolution.

B0EEF13C34AE48488F55EF9553272E8A.jpg

The camera's resolution is only as good as the camera's motion blur of the objects that you are interested in.

Here is a iPhone6 swing. It has a fast shutter and the motion blur is very good. You can see the small motion blur increasing as the shaft speed increases away from the hands. Jello Effect distortion is small.

2F83F043EBF141BBB565E5CDDE95EE46.jpg

The disadvantages of a smartphone with high speed video and a known very fast shutter speed - like the iPhone6 above - are the wide angle lens and the large video file sizes unnecessary for high speed video analysis of golf swings. I don't have an iPhone and don't know of its video editing features or other issues.

Video single frame viewing and editing on my Casio FH100 are excellent except that it is slow as it rewrites.

Last, for applications of analysis, pay attention only to recording frame rate. If cameras or other software are used to post process recordings, to "interpolate" frames, false frames are being produced that may affect accuracy.

Basic High Speed Video Considerations and Cameras

http://www.kinovea.o...opic.php?id=435

iPhone outdoors is superior to the Casio as far as actual use goes. It's not even close IMO.

I agree.

I have 2 Casios (FH100, ?FS10?), 4 camcorders, and a iPhone 6 plus (and lots of stuff I dont remember).

The iPhone V1 app is great. Being able to easily move the swing forwards an backwards so easily is great.

I got good at the controls with the Casios if I did it for a few hours, but it's not intuitive and I seem to have to relearn it everytime (ie. how to cut the video ... etc.).

Point grey.

Could get an older usb2.0 firefly mv2 for $300 with f1.2 lens. Would do 60fps with global shutter and manual controls. Has big aperture to let a lot of light in indoors. Would be basically what Golftec uses and good enough for most people. To get 120+fps will double the cost.

Will add the USB cameras are smaller than a cell phone and just as portable. With a tablet and a USB camera you can easily bring them to the range if you desired. Bryson D does it at tour events with a tripod and a laptop.

• 2 months later...

Good review of the Casio FC500S by larrybug.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1300594-casio-fc500s-review/

- looks like it can be bought for a great price.

- no manual controls, but the camera does have a golf focus.

- iteach makes good arguments for iphone 6 and golf.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

The new rx100 v does 250 fps at 1080p with full manual control.

Really ?

Are you sure you can manually set the shutter speed ?

If you set the shutter speed to super high ... is the footage dark ? (it should be).

https://www.cinema5d...-shooting-mode/

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V Digital Camera

793A2855-acr.jpeg

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4462707161/hands-on-with-the-sony-cyber-shot-rx100-v

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1289584-REG/sony_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_v_digital.html

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

• 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor
  • BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
  • Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log2 Gamma
  • Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens
  • 24-70mm (35mm Equivalent)
  • Fast Hybrid AF System with 315 Points
  • HFR Mode for Full HD Video up to 960 fps
  • 0.39" 2.36m-Dot OLED Pop-Up EVF
  • 3.0" 1.23m-Dot 180° Tilting LCD
  • ISO 12800 and 24 fps Continuous Shooting

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Another camera for Chas to check out.

Thought i'd mention another, i just got a Panasonic HC-V770M video camera.

200 fps (or 250 if you have NTSC system) at full HD resolution, no time limit, full manual control, gives excellent large sharp image.

You can of course get well back and zoom in a bit to avoid distortion from being too close.

And is a very good video camera as well.

This line of cameras, including 4K model, all do high speed.

So much better than the Casio and Canon i have used before.

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lumix-cameras-video-cameras/video-cameras/hc-v770m.specs.html

I have 2 TM700s ... they aren't that great for golf. Low FPS.

Another camera for Chas to check out.

Thought i'd mention another, i just got a Panasonic HC-V770M video camera.

200 fps (or 250 if you have NTSC system) at full HD resolution, no time limit, full manual control, gives excellent large sharp image.

You can of course get well back and zoom in a bit to avoid distortion from being too close.

And is a very good video camera as well.

This line of cameras, including 4K model, all do high speed.

So much better than the Casio and Canon i have used before.

http://www.panasonic...770m.specs.html

I have 2 TM700s ... they aren't that great for golf. Low FPS.

I did not see a spec on whether it had manual shutter speed control in high speed video mode. 1/8000 sec sounds very good. (= 0.22" of motion blur for a 100 MPH object.) But is 1/8000 sec for high speed video mode and does the camera have automatic exposure control or manual exposure control?

This was in an *mazon description.

" Full-HD Slow Motion Video

Records Full-HD (1920 x 1080) at 120 fps.* And the Intelligent Frame Creation of the Crystal Engine interpolates to an equivalent of 240 fps,* for smooth slow motion. Easily switch to slow motion while recording with a simple touch on the LCD screen.

*For NTSC area:60/120/240fps

*For PAL area:50/100/200fps "

I'd interpret that to mean that the camera records at 120 fps maximum. Then the video is post processed (by Crystal Engine) to create an 'interpolated' frame for each recorded frame. The interpolated frame is a false frame created to make playback appear like a higher frame rate recording. For analysis, I would avoid post processing that creates frames because those frames are not real. And with post processing it is difficult or impossible to understand what has been done. Think in terms of the recording frame rate and the playback frame rate. The recording frame rate is most important and most accurate for analysis.

120 fps is slow for objects like the head of a golf club. At 100 MPH an object moves 1760"/sec. If recorded at 120 fps the object moves 15" between frames. That is not a very good sampling of the club head position. With 15" of object motion between frames, catching the club head close to the ball would not occur often on swings.

A high speed video of a golf swing from the side view is about the best test that I know of for estimating motion blur, and from it the shutter speed. Are there any side views of golf swings using this camera in bright sunlight with the fastest lens setting (usually the wide angle setting for the zoom)?

The new rx100 v does 250 fps at 1080p with full manual control.

Really ?

Are you sure you can manually set the shutter speed ?

If you set the shutter speed to super high ... is the footage dark ? (it should be).

https://www.cinema5d...-shooting-mode/

793A2855-acr.jpeg

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4462707161/hands-on-with-the-sony-cyber-shot-rx100-v

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1289584-REG/sony_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_v_digital.html

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

• 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor
  • BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
  • Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log2 Gamma
  • Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens
  • 24-70mm (35mm Equivalent)
  • Fast Hybrid AF System with 315 Points
  • HFR Mode for Full HD Video up to 960 fps
  • 0.39" 2.36m-Dot OLED Pop-Up EVF
  • 3.0" 1.23m-Dot 180° Tilting LCD
  • ISO 12800 and 24 fps Continuous Shooting

These cameras take some excellent high speed videos. It is one of the models that is often covered on hispeedcams.com.

http://www.hispeedca...hfr-resolution/

The issue is that these model cameras have limited recording times in high speed video modes. Sony has increased recording times from 2 or 4 sec of earlier models but still it is too short for what I use the camera for, tennis strokes. For some limited applications those short times might be OK, but not for my applications of videoing several groundstrokes or practicing serves by myself. You could only take one golf swing.

RX100M5_HFRModesManual.jpg

I don't know about shutter speed control, auto or manual, but in bright sunlight the shutter shows very little motion blur on a tennis racket. There are excellent videos showing motion blur for tennis.

• 1 month later...

I would have started a new thread for this but can't find the NEW THREAD icon or text to click. What do I click and where is it?

FYI Kinovea application to golf.

http://www.kinovea.o...?pid=3662#p3662

The thread is on the latest version 8.25 of free, open source Kinovea.

I just started adding millisecond countdown time scales to tennis strokes and think it will be very informative for tennis strokes. "0" time is ball impact and the display shows time countdown to impact.

Example of Kinovea analysis with millisecond countdown time scale.

• 7 months later...