No Sight line / dot. What are the benefits?

MMB1500

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1393535568' post='8760260']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393457522' post='8752902']
The face angle of the putter at impact determines about 80% of the ball's initial direction and the clubhead path at impact determines about 20%.
[/quote]

I think with putting it's even higher? Probably almost 100% face angle.
[/quote]

Anyone have some trackman putter numbers?

According to these guys, 92% is determined by face and 8% by path.

http://www.quinticballroll.com/GFI111_Inst.Putt.pdf

[b]"What happens when there is a mis-match between face and path
with the putter?
The breakdown is that approximately 92% of the ball’s initial direction is
determined by putter face angle at impact and only 8% is the result of the
putter path. The two together determine the horizontal direction of the ball
and also if there is any hook or cut spin applied to the ball. Again using the
Quintic Ball Roll System, the amount of hook or cut spin imparted on the ball
can be shown.[/b]"

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this topic while killing time waiting for my new Anser 0 from the BST to arrive.

In order to avoid alignment "aids" myself, I have been playing an old thrift shop Anser for the last couple of years. I finally decided to upgrade and was disappointed to see the limited offerings for naked putters though the Anser 0 is just what I wanted. It's a shame that the big OEMs don't produce more naked putters because the sight line was the exact reason I was never tempted to spend the money on the Ping Redwoods.

G25 10.5*
TM RBZ 15.5*
909H 21*
S55 4-PW
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Anser Milled 0

[quote name='rjp322' timestamp='1395347513' post='8912905']
Read the entire thread and this keeps getting overlooked. What about just a line on the top line such as this? Seems far less distracting and you can put the line directly up to the ball. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Just like a site dot, site line on the flange, "naked", etc. is just another option. It will help some people square the face at address. It depends on the individual golfer and there is not a one size fits all. Instead, by having an array of options, there is a spectrum for people to choose from in order to get the best individual results.

I like a putter that has a line parallel to the face and either 2, 3 or more lines in the flange. Never Comprimise NCX Xray or Scotty Cameron Futura x and they they can be white but prefer red. Black doesnt work for me. If no Line, I use pinstriping tape. Has to be 1/16 to 1/8", wider doesn't work. Looks like a T.

This helps me line up the face square to the target. I always look a few inches in front of the ball and do not watch the putter go back. If I do watch it I miss, so dead stare at my spot in front of the putter.

I started this when I got into #9 style putters but then found I was a sbst guy not an arch guy so I switched and my putting is much better.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Interesting... When I first started playing I had a Ping Tess that was naked. I putted very well with it, but thought the heel shaft thing wasn't for me. Maybe I'll have to snag my preferred anser style in the nude and try it out...

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

[quote name='razz11' timestamp='1395488263' post='8924197']
Interesting... When I first started playing I had a Ping Tess that was naked. I putted very well with it, but thought the heel shaft thing wasn't for me. Maybe I'll have to snag my preferred anser style in the nude and try it out...
[/quote]

Something like this.
[attachment=2133201:Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 7.57.04 AM.png]

• 1 year later...

I started horsing around with a Scotty Newport today with no sight lines. I really liked it. It deserves more testing but initially I couldn't tell a difference. If definitely feels different not using a sight line as I've always had one on my putters. The no lines lets me focus on the line and stroke much better.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Fascinating thread, the sort of stuff that keeps us coming back to Golfwrx. Civil, too! I have a question for the experts: is there any reason why you would EVER have a single line vs. two parallel lines? My own preference is two parallel lines on the top line, a preference I share with Nicklaus and seemingly no one else. I think it is easier to center the ball between two lines as opposed to lining up a single line or dot at the center of the ball. So, does the research quoted above by bargolf oertain to all lines, or only lines on the flange. Also: for me anyway, the cricial issue is whether or not the line or lines extends all the way to the ball. A mallet with lines that extend all the way to the back of the putter works fine, e.g. on a Zebra, but if the lines are in a cavity and don't extent to the face they are worse than worthless. Incidentally, as far as I can tell, the ONLY off-the-rack option for two lines on the topline is the Big Oak Boston B.

• Like 1

[quote name='Birdie Wooster' timestamp='1430019923' post='11443279']
Fascinating thread, the sort of stuff that keeps us coming back to Golfwrx. Civil, too! I have a question for the experts: is there any reason why you would EVER have a single line vs. two parallel lines? My own preference is two parallel lines on the top line, a preference I share with Nicklaus and seemingly no one else. I think it is easier to center the ball between two lines as opposed to lining up a single line or dot at the center of the ball. So, does the research quoted above by bargolf oertain to all lines, or only lines on the flange. Also: for me anyway, the cricial issue is whether or not the line or lines extends all the way to the ball. A mallet with lines that extend all the way to the back of the putter works fine, e.g. on a Zebra, but if the lines are in a cavity and don't extent to the face they are worse than worthless. Incidentally, as far as I can tell, the ONLY off-the-rack option for two lines on the topline is the Big Oak Boston B.
[/quote]

Very good question. I imagine the reason dual sight lines are uncommon is the same reason OTR putters with no sight aids are uncommon, namely it's 'not the done thing' therefore they don't sell. If there's one thing that's clear, it's that OEM manufacturers will put sales above anything, including what's best for the average golfer. Another example is 46" driver shafts. Anyway, you were referring to something like this?

[attachment=2732475:XF5A9087-Edit.jpg]

[attachment=2732479:XF5A9115-Edit-Edit.jpg]

• 1 year later...

Update to this topic.

In the summer I went for an Edel putter fitting and it was an eye-opening experience to say the least. What we found was that I have a tendency to consistently aim left of my target. After playing around with multiple head options, we found that any sort of sight aid or alignment, completely throws off my aim. That is to say, I aim much more accurate at aligning the putter with my target when it is a blank head with no sight line or sight dot etc. This result reinforced what I had suspected for a while but it was interesting to see the results so clearly demonstrated.

That is not to say that a putter with no sight aid will benefit everyone, but I wonder how many people are making putting more difficult for themselves by using a putter with a sight aid that is confusing their brains's ability to aim the the club properly?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update to this topic.

In the summer I went for an Edel putter fitting and it was an eye-opening experience to say the least. What we found was that I have a tendency to consistently aim left of my target. After playing around with multiple head options, we found that any sort of sight aid or alignment, completely throws off my aim. That is to say, I aim much more accurate at aligning the putter with my target when it is a blank head with no sight line or sight dot etc. This result reinforced what I had suspected for a while but it was interesting to see the results so clearly demonstrated.

That is not to say that a putter with no sight aid will benefit everyone, but I wonder how many people are making putting more difficult for themselves by using a putter with a sight aid that is confusing their brains's ability to aim the the club properly?

Odd Bc I love naked putters too but my Edel fitting showed I aimed them way left. The one the fitting showed I aim best with: a single flange line!!

Finally, some science behind the reason why my favorite 8802 style putters seem to align better for me. Plain, simple, no dot, no lines, nothing. Just line up the face and the hands don't keep trying to "correct" things.

8802/Napa's are mainly nice and naked like a good putter should be. Now I know there is a reason for it, maybe I'll putt even better now :)

My 8802 variants -

IMG_1398.jpg

The exceptions to no-line are the 8882 Blk, 8813 and a Yes Sophia.

I think ultimately a sight line or dot helps everyone with aim and alignment but on a near weekly basis, I hit a few putts with my PING Anser that has no sightline on my living room carpet as a reminder to trust the line I choose to take when aiming. I think in the grand scheme of things, it makes a difference when I hit the course with my gamer that has a sightline.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Every putter I ever used always had sight line or at least a dot. When I changed over to the red Spider, which has nothing, my putting got immediately better. I can't explain why, exactly, but I focus more on my shoulder alignment and then just hit the putt. I'm making more putts from 10 feet and in, and longer lag putts end up being tap-ins.

Maybe having no sight line makes you focus more on getting the right speed and line, and just making a good stroke. I am quite sure the putter itself has something to do with it, but the lack of a sight line seems to have had a positive effect.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

I used to own a Ping Anser F Ltd Edition which had no sight line or sight dot. I putted great with that putter and therefore did the stupid thing and sold it. Anyway, it got me thinking about alignment aids on putters.

I know there is a school of thought that no alignment aid on a putter actually improves aim. Can anyone expand on this? I believe David Orr is a proponent of this view, but I couldn't find a great deal more on it.

As an aside, I'm in the process of designing a custom DH-89 and am definitely thinking no line / dot is the way to go.

Eagle

Orr is a proponent of the Edel fitting system, which means getting the putter that you actually aim straight -- it is much more than a sightline - it's head shape, hosel, loft, lie, offset, as well as sightlines to refine your aim.

So it's all about getting you to aim where you think you are aiming.

And that means getting custom fit for aim, and then all other elements, such headweight,mshaft, counterbalancing, grip, etc.

Sightlines usually move your aim to the right; a sight dot? I think golfers want to know the sweet spot.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I used to own a Ping Anser F Ltd Edition which had no sight line or sight dot. I putted great with that putter and therefore did the stupid thing and sold it. Anyway, it got me thinking about alignment aids on putters.

I know there is a school of thought that no alignment aid on a putter actually improves aim. Can anyone expand on this? I believe David Orr is a proponent of this view, but I couldn't find a great deal more on it.

As an aside, I'm in the process of designing a custom DH-89 and am definitely thinking no line / dot is the way to go.

Eagle

Orr is a proponent of the Edel fitting system, which means getting the putter that you actually aim straight -- it is much more than a sightline - it's head shape, hosel, loft, lie, offset, as well as sightlines to refine your aim.

And that means getting custom fit for aim, and then all other elements, such headweight,mshaft, counterbalancing, grip, etc.

Sightlines usually move your aim to the right; a sight dot? I think golfers want to know the sweet spot.

See post 133. I went for an Edel fitting last year. It was extremely enlightening. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Most of my 8802 style sticks have nothing as far as site aids though a few do have dots and then of course the Staff version of the 8802, the 8813, has the sight "notch" on the top-line and that stupid arse line running perpendicular to the notch on the flange. No wonder it didn't sell and they had to bring the 8802 out of the big boxes and into the pro shops, lmao.

Anyhoo, though I prefer no alignment lines, dots notches or anything looking up at me, I can also adapt and live with anything looking up at me.

Have a great week Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Eagle

Is this right that a sightline moves your aim to the right vs naked?

Eagle

From what I was told and experienced, the sightline has one aim to the left. Many aim right without the sightline, and the line moves them left. More lines ... more left. It is a refinement.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Eagle

From what I was told and experienced, the sightline has one aim to the left. Many aim right without the sightline, and the line moves them left. More lines ... more left. It is a refinement.

So funny Bc I had an Edel fitting an aimed the naked putter way left, and they fit me into a single flange line for straight aim! Guess everyone is different.

So funny Bc I had an Edel fitting an aimed the naked putter way left, and they fit me into a single flange line for straight aim! Guess everyone is different.

I think that's the point and why people need to go for a fitting. There are no hard and fast rules that dictate a player will aim any club in any particular way. Whilst I couldn't aim a putter with any sort of sight line or offset for sh!t, other people might benefit massively from one or both of those things.

Eagle

Also depends on the hosel and other factors - it is a combo of things - you start with the shape, then hosel etc. Sightlines refine aim.

I aim center shafted blades to the left, a heel shafted blade left and right, and tend to aim a mallet more neutral - but the hosel can throw it off.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

• 2 months later...

As an update to the study. We documented different combinations of lines on the putter and lines on the ball and then ranked their ability to aim.

1. Line on the ball no line on the putter. Most accurate.

2. No line on the ball - No line on the putter.

3. Line on the putter - No line on the ball. ( This is the most common preference and the results varied as to placement of sight aids)

4. Line on the ball-Line on the putter. As we used an average and this was last as it had the widest discrepancy. Good aim was good but bad was really bad. Continuous line on the putter to the ball worked pretty well. But if you were not able to connect the line on the putter to the ball, as with a line in the cavity, it was problematic for many.

Even though the data sample was big enough, this is offered NOT to use as a judgement for yourself as to best or worse method, but as a guideline to check what works for you.

i would also offer that the "line on putter players" spent less time setting up. They tended to point the line at the ball, rather than to the target. As we did not dictate method so it is entirely possible that laziness was the issue and dramatically skewed the results.

Thoughts about 2ball alignment and this general thread?

The Golf Galaxy closest to me offers an Edel putter fitting? Anyone tried it thru them? Should I go somewhere else to do it? Interested to see what sight line or naked fits me best. Used to putt with flange line, last two years tried sight line on top and like that better. Putted well with TM Spider with no line, just couldn't get used to the feel.

The Golf Galaxy closest to me offers an Edel putter fitting? Anyone tried it thru them? Should I go somewhere else to do it? Interested to see what sight line or naked fits me best. Used to putt with flange line, last two years tried sight line on top and like that better. Putted well with TM Spider with no line, just couldn't get used to the feel.

I would highly recommend a fitting. There is nothing like properly knowing what your aiming tendencies are and what to look for when buying a putter, including head shape and alignment. Otherwise it's just guesswork.