No Sight line / dot. What are the benefits?

MMB1500

This has been an interesting read. My trusty Yonex Super A.D.X has just a dot for alignment, which I have always preferred, but never entirely known why. Thanks to this thread, I know :)

I've noticed I don't actually use the dot for aiming - just use it to help find the middle of the putter on the way through - for aiming I typically use the face angle at address. With the arc on my stroke I find sight lines tend to confuse matters, as there is only one point during my stroke that the putter face is aligned to where I'm aiming - when it hits the ball (usually). I actually find I have more issues squaring the face with my Odyssey #9 (full aiming lines) as I do with the Yonex with the dot.

Very interesting - great thread OP.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

This has been an interesting read. My trusty Yonex Super A.D.X has just a dot for alignment, which I have always preferred, but never entirely known why. Thanks to this thread, I know :)

I've noticed I don't actually use the dot for aiming - just use it to help find the middle of the putter on the way through - for aiming I typically use the face angle at address. With the arc on my stroke I find sight lines tend to confuse matters, as there is only one point during my stroke that the putter face is aligned to where I'm aiming - when it hits the ball (usually). I actually find I have more issues squaring the face with my Odyssey #9 (full aiming lines) as I do with the Yonex with the dot.

Very interesting - great thread OP.

Agree completely in thread quality. About a year ago I switched from a no site alignment Newport beach to a 2ball fang. I love the stability of the fang putter but the leading edge didn't "stick out" enough for me to aim the face. I'm definitely a face aligner and have struggled getting comfortable aligning the 2balls. This thread got me toying. I added a 1/8 blue painter's tape line across the leading edge of the fang. I'm now able to aim the face. Old feeling of alignment + stable head through the stroke should mean good things. If I continue to like the tape then I'll figure out how to permanently have a stand out leading edge alignment aid.

This is a good thread to reread over the years. I also find the line distracting now and use a naked putter

This allows my eyes to aim with face/topline which seems to work much more consistent for me

Though sometimes when facing at difficult breaking putt

Depending on the break I will use the shaft angle and ignore the putterhead and use a line on the ball and just try to feel my stroke

Or tap the toe of my putterhead just try to hit the ball off the toe. I think this might be where the dot will help to let me know where the centre of the blade is

Somewhere along the line I read Utley comment on not using any kind of dot or line. I paid attention to lines on putters trying them out in stores. It was not uncommon for me to find a $200 putter with a crooked line painted on it. It was also not uncommon for me to find a grip that was on wrong. I also could find putters with a fancy neck that for whatever reason looked twisted or the face was pointing somewhere other than my intended line when I took my grip. I then started paying attention to the face and by chance found a used putter with lots of toe hang and have enjoyed the results ever since. I aim the face at my intended line and per Utley walk into the putt on that intended line. I actually asked the Callaway guys about buying a #7 for instance with no sight line. Their research if I remember correctly is based on what consumers want...not necessarily what they need or should use. Utley also places focus on getting the putter heading swinging in a pendulum type fashion. I feel that is easier for me to forward press a bit and use a standard size grip.

I also think in the back of my mind when I try different putters I have not been tempted to switch because I can't find any w/o a line or dot. I do use an arc trainer and have heard TW in interviews talk about Stricker helping him release the toe. For me it releases tension and adds confidence when and if I need it and I also used to practice lag putting with eyes closed or with my right hand only being a RH golfer.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Not only do I like a dot only, I don't even want straight lines in my field of vision beyond the topline, which needs to be prominent enough to "stick out" as the poster above notes. Couldn't agree more.

But I also like half-moon shaped putters more than others, and am better able to aim them, or my current Edel head, the Rogue, which is Edel's fat blade with an concave half-moon cutaway in the back. Same concept: Prominent and easy to aim topline, curved shape in the back.

I have tested this with all kinds of models. I putt best with half-moon or similar shaped blade. But the sight dot only half-moon shape is hard to find. All seem to have at least one line or two parallel lines.

If the line or lines are not on topline and in back cavity, I am able to ignore them. Also easy to buy one with lines in the back cavity and strip out the paintfill. You don't notice them then and they don't affect me. The two half moons I have been rolling in stores and really liking are the Argolf Avalon and the Ping Sigma Piper 3. Both quite nice. The sole of the Avalon is a standout feature. Never catches on backstroke.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Well i just sold my Scotty naked Newport select could not make ti work. Went to a Odyssey 330 with a line on flange, not looking back.The Cameron line is over for me:) .

Don't forget there are things other than a lack of sight line that might have been effecting your aim with the Cameron, such as head shape and offset. Personally I can't putt with anser style putters for toffee due to the offset (right handed and left eye dominant).

Well i just sold my Scotty naked Newport select could not make ti work. Went to a Odyssey 330 with a line on flange, not looking back.The Cameron line is over for me:) .

Don't forget there are things other than a lack of sight line that might have been effecting your aim with the Cameron, such as head shape and offset. Personally I can't putt with anser style putters for toffee due to the offset (right handed and left eye dominant).

I just could not make it work maybe the anser style just passed by me after many many years:)

• 2 months later...

Read the entire thread and this keeps getting overlooked. What about just a line on the top line such as this? Seems far less distracting and you can put the line directly up to the ball. Thoughts?

post-64299-0-49171600-1303583421_thumb.jpg

This is a great thread but I agree not much discussion about a top line like Jordan Spieth uses magnificently. Bruce (bargolf) who has done extensive work on alignment aides in putting has mentioned elsewhere that a line on the top does not have the negative impact like a line in the cavity. It is a lot like a sight dot.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

A few pics for reference purposes comparing a top line, flange line and naked.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

I haven't read the thread in it's entirety - just replying to OP. I find alignment aids a distraction to me. I am an okay putter and if I have a sight dot, flange line etc, I find myself concentrating on the hit and where exactly on the face it is; trying to hit the sight aid exactly - which takes the fluidity out of what is normally my competent putting stroke. Make any sense? :-)

Rob

I agree style is important, i don't really look at lines just get he ball moving forward (-:. I do believe head shape plays a role?.

I haven't read the thread in it's entirety - just replying to OP. I find alignment aids a distraction to me. I am an okay putter and if I have a sight dot, flange line etc, I find myself concentrating on the hit and where exactly on the face it is; trying to hit the sight aid exactly - which takes the fluidity out of what is normally my competent putting stroke. Make any sense? :-)

Rob

It does make sense, yes. Another reason why I went away from using any sight aid.

Play what works best for you. I've tried the no alignment putters and kept pushing the ball. I've been playing a SeeMore PCB and recently an Evnroll, both with flange alignments, and I've been putting better then ever before.

Of course play what works for you. There will certainly be a lot of golfers that will benefit from some sort of sight aid. However there will also be many that won't but will still be using one because that's what they think they should be doing and they've never actually been fit properly to find out what their alignment / aiming tendencies are.

As discussed, most OTR putters have alignment aids because that's what sells. Some will benefit from using them. Many won't.

What is the best way to remove a white sight line in the cavity to make a naked putter? Nail polish remover, scraping it, painting over it? I have an ER 1 and want to make it naked, but not make it look terrible.

Taking the paint out does little to hide the line. Most effective thing is to layer lead tape over the flange.

What is the best way to remove a white sight line in the cavity to make a naked putter? Nail polish remover, scraping it, painting over it? I have an ER 1 and want to make it naked, but not make it look terrible.

Taking the paint out does little to hide the line. Most effective thing is to layer lead tape over the flange.

Or just get a new putter.

It is the one thing I wish putter makers would do: Let players order putters naked or with a sight dot only.

I use the topline of the putter face to aim and it always is most comfortable to me. Much easier, in fact.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been following this thread for a while and just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I putt much better with a naked putter. The alignment aid throws me off, especially if its on the flange.

When the line is on the flange, my putt stroke ends up being very linear instead of a slight arc. When i see the line, subconsciously, i want to follow it. So on my backswing, im swinging straight back trying to keep the putter on this imaginary line. And then when i putt through the ball, the face is closing (without opening) and everything gets thrown off.

As a side note, i like the idea of a sight dot but i'm hesitant to try it. I like where my putting stroke is and dont want to mess with it, if it aint broke...

Anyone have any experience using a just a sight dot vs using a naked one? Did you see any difference? Which did you prefer?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been following this thread for a while and just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I putt much better with a naked putter. The alignment aid throws me off, especially if its on the flange.

When the line is on the flange, my putt stroke ends up being very linear instead of a slight arc. When i see the line, subconsciously, i want to follow it. So on my backswing, im swinging straight back trying to keep the putter on this imaginary line. And then when i putt through the ball, the face is closing (without opening) and everything gets thrown off.

As a side note, i like the idea of a sight dot but i'm hesitant to try it. I like where my putting stroke is and dont want to mess with it, if it aint broke...

Anyone have any experience using a just a sight dot vs using a naked one? Did you see any difference? Which did you prefer?

Thanks.

You could try just putting a dot on your putter with a sharpie and if you do not like it you can take it off with alcohol.