Buy or not to buy Titleist 905R

etiennelacombe

Before I buy
Hi everyone!

I have a titleist 983k right now and i'm hitting it very well. The first time I hit it I was very impress to see the ball going very far, like avg of 290. I bought it at 120$ last year.

This year, i'm wondering if you should buy the new 905R at full price or the 905T at 120$ used? Id like to play with the 905R. Am I stupid to pay the 500$ for something better? Would I be satisfied with the T ?

Thx a lot. Congratulation to all of you for your very nice golf site!

Etienne

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, welcome to the site! If I can personally help with anything, feel free to ask.

Now on the topic of the driver. I was in a similar boat. I had a Ping G2, and slowly began to dislike it. SO I picked up a 983k, and hit it much better. Now I have a 905R, and WOW. As far as your case goes, it's important to demo both the 905T and R, and see which you like best, and see how they perform in a launch monitor. You should be able to pick up a 905R for $400, and even though the T is $250 I think, don't just let that influence your decision.

I can't find much bad to say about the R, it's long, forgiving, and looks great.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

Here is what you should do.

Here in Memphis, we have a demo day where all the companies you can think of bring their products and they let people try them. Hopefully they'll have one in your town or near by. Titleist is going to continute to produce the T and the S at a reduced rate. Try the T, S, and R, and you may be able to hit 1 with ur k, then another with the newer models.

I hit the 905R at our Demo Days event last weekend. It is definitely a rock solid club but I had a problem with hooking it. It seems to me that it is somewhat weight biased internally for a draw which does nothing but make me hook. It has that great Titleist feel and is solid club.

That being said, it sounds a bit tinny at impact for my taste and I hit the Cleveland HiBore longer. Hitting them side by side at the same target, with the same loft in both clubs and same shaft (UST V2), I was carrying the 265 flag with the Cleveland consistently and was landing short of it every time with the Titleist.

Hi everyone!

I have a titleist 983k right now and i'm hitting it very well. The first time I hit it I was very impress to see the ball going very far, like avg of 290. I bought it at 120$ last year.

This year, i'm wondering if you should buy the new 905R at full price or the 905T at 120$ used? Id like to play with the 905R. Am I stupid to pay the 500$ for something better? Would I be satisfied with the T ?

Thx a lot. Congratulation to all of you for your very nice golf site!

Etienne

The reviews on both the T and R have been very mixed. Many players are still sticking with the K. To be safe, you should try both before buying.

I had all Titleist drivers since the 975D and all I can say is: The 905R is the best so far. I find more fairways than my previous 905T and its longer. I still have a 905S but it will be on Ebay this week.

TM SIM 10.5 Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 15 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

TM SIM UDI 2 HZRDUS Black 100 7.5

Srixon ZX4 MKII 4-5 KBS Tour 130

Titleist 620 MB 6-PW TI X100

Vokey 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

LAB Mezz.1 Max

905r is much better than 905t. Just make sure that you get the correct shaft for it . I love the tw74 in the 905t but ordered a diamana in the R and will be getting rid of it before the week is out. Time to order the r with a zcom

Titleist TS3 D3 8.5 tensei pro white x
Titleist 917 F2 Fuji Pro 95
Titleist T MB. 3 iron
Titleist 716 AP2 4-7 MB 8-W DGTour amt issue x100
Vokey TVD 52, 56, 60 DGTour s400
Cameron X5

905r is much better than 905t. Just make sure that you get the correct shaft for it . I love the tw74 in the 905t but ordered a diamana in the R and will be getting rid of it before the week is out. Time to order the r with a zcom

I agree with making sure you choose the correct shaft. Becasue I went to Demo Day and tried all the shafts and the Diamana Redboard by far hits the ball longer and higher.

Where are you getting a T for $120?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

I wouldn't buy the 905R ..

I tried both and found very little difference...

One plus to the 905R is that off center hits (especially towards the toe) are forgiven, and rarely show notice of being toed ... reminds me alot of the G5 in that respect.

One downside to the 905R is that when fitted w/ the same shaft as a 905T, it tends (in my experience anyways) to have a wider dispursion rate. With the 905T I can't miss the fairway, but the 905R seems to let them slip a bit...might have just been me, but it was noticable (although not that bad).

I can't imagine paying the price difference between 120 and 500 for an R over a T.

I wouldn't buy the 905R ..

I tried both and found very little difference...

One plus to the 905R is that off center hits (especially towards the toe) are forgiven, and rarely show notice of being toed ... reminds me alot of the G5 in that respect.

One downside to the 905R is that when fitted w/ the same shaft as a 905T, it tends (in my experience anyways) to have a wider dispursion rate. With the 905T I can't miss the fairway, but the 905R seems to let them slip a bit...might have just been me, but it was noticable (although not that bad).

I can't imagine paying the price difference between 120 and 500 for an R over a T.

NO DOUBT!

That's why I bought a new T for $199.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

An R for $500??? Please, like I said earlier, 340-390 buy it now on ebay. You're way over-exagerating.

I was jsut going by what he had listed for the price .. I"m in Canada, so I'm not sure as to the prices in the states atm ..

that being said, I will rephrase my comment:

I wouldn't pay 50$ to get an R over a T if the option was presented to me ... the difference is that negligible.

The V2 in the Hi-Bore retail is not the same shaft as the one in the 905R retail. The Hi-Bore comes with a .350 65 gram V2 which has a slightly higher torque rating and produces a higher ballflight. The 905R comes with a .335 75 gram V2 which produces a lower ball flight with less spin than the 65. All things being equal..the Hi-Bore also has a lower swingweight than the 905R.

If you are looking for an easy to swing driver than I would look elsewhere...of course Titleist never catered to this. This is a beast of a stick to swing (75 V2) compared to most of the 55-65 gram shafted drivers with low swingweights on store shelves. I do think it is straighter and more forgiving than the 905T. Is it longer? Unless the 905R is a better fitting than the prior...no it won't. I have 6 drivers right now and guess what...none of them are longer than the other.

The 905R is in the bag right now since I like how Titleist drivers set-up and how they feel at impact. I also find them to be top quality and the accuracy is the best. When you're not long like me than accuracy is essential.

I tried the 905r for the first time today. Hit a 9.5 with the YS-6 stiff shaft. Was very dissapointed. All shots were pull hooks. I was disturbed. I then picked up a 9.5 with a stiff V2 and proceeded to pound it down the middle. I was flying range balls over the 250 yard marker and also getting some roll. Out of 20 balls I only missed the middle of the range once, and that was due to a push. Ball flight was mid - very boring , but went forever. Heel shots went low and straight with little loss in distance. Toe shots went I with a slight draw. Dead center exploded off the face and dead straight or a slight draw. I would really need to be impressed in order to dump my 983K, but look what's in the bag now. This is one easy club to hit. Looking forward to many more fairways this summer. By the way, 5 hdcp, 112-115 mph swing speed.

:idhitit: