Websites that are "too good to be true" -

profsmitty

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Carl smith' timestamp='1308690190' post='3325175']
Anyone know anything about [url="http://www.golfclubgate.com"]http://www.golfclubgate.com[/url]. They seem to be too good to be true. RazR X Tour Irons for $329. Listing the prices for Pings. AP2's for $309.
[/quote]

[b]This website is total crap[/b]. It has almost all of the BS trappings that have been talked about throughout this (very useful) thread. Thanks smith5606.
1. The previously quoted "anyone know anything about" BS post, posted, curiously, by someone with a history of only one post. When you look at his profile info, there is nothing at all to be found. "Carl smith", if you are a real person who's genuinely looking for info about this site, I sincerely apologize, but I'm guessing I'm on target here.

2. The prices, which are ridiculously, stupid low. MP-53s or MP-63s for $330? Ping Anser irons for $340? $340????? Down from the regular price of $1400? C'mon. I too think those Ansers are waaay overpriced, but that doesn't change the fact that $340 is way too good to be true.

3. The lousy English and totally affected grammar that is littered throughout the website. I was an English major in college and can smell this BS from a mile away, but even my dog could see right through some of this BS. Here's a sample, taken from the "reviews" of the Mizuno MP-63s:
"This is a true game enhancement. The compact design and thin top line !" What??? The last phrase isn't even a sentence.
"I purchased this weeks ago and has been very pleased. Great Value." Nonspecific, bad grammar, ie bullsh%t.
Disturbingly, this little gem is from their "return policy" section.
"This is legit website, we are selling the items displayed on our website. We have sent many packages to different countries. we have many year business,we are serious to do business,we take credit card for payment, it is safe way payment, we can promise our quality, please do not worry about that." More horrendous grammar and nonsensical content, jumping randomly from one subject to the next.
[b]Whoever wrote this crap on this website is not a native English speaker![/b]

4. No address on the website. Anywhere. Their headquarters could be on Mars, for all we know. Look at sites like edwinwatts, rockbottomgolf, golfsmith, etc, and all the info you'd want to know about their businesses is clearly outlined, with grammatically correct English. What a concept.

Disturbingly, to me, this site is being advertised on Facebook, where golfers more casual and less knowledgeable than the WRXers here could fall prey quite easily to this nonsense and get scammed out of money, as well as unwittingly disseminating their fake stuff to golf shops and auction websites everywhere. After all, Facebook is how I found the website. And yeah, all of us want to believe the prices here. I would dearly love to get my hands on some MP-53s for less than 350 bucks. Wouldn't that be great? But the whole "too good to be true" thing never rings so true than it does when looking at these prices.

Instead, I'm gonna spend that $350 on golf lessons and still have some $ to spare for a couple of dozen Bridgestone B330-S balls. Then if my game's in good shape by season's end, I'm gonna go to Golfsmith over the winter and get fitted for those MP-53s. Next spring, I'll feel real good knowing that I'm buying legit stuff from a legit retailer - and hopefully hitting legit shots with my new, real clubs, made with tight quality control to my exact specs.

In short, [b]add golfclubgate.com to the list of bogus "discount golf" websites[/b], and pass the word on, especially since they use media like Facebook to pass their message of deceit onto the more casual golfer.

Hope this helps.
[color="#777777"][/font][/color]
[color="#777777"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/color]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so terrified after reading this thread. As a lefty i rely heavily on eBay for clubs. I almost always buy used just because I don't have the budget for a new set every year. But after reading this I'm so discouraged.

I'm glad i found this thread when i did though. I was tossed up between buying a set of Callaway X Forged irons (2007) from eBay or Callawaypreowned.com. Luckily Cally was running a deal for the British of 17% off all orders over $100 so the price was basically the same. Obviously i went w/ Cally.

But that brings me to my next point. there is a seller with 8-10 sets of "new" 2007 Callaway X Forged irons, and thats only what i see in the Lefty section for around $330. I'm not sure if they're fake, but I don't like those odds.*EDIT: Nevermind, i checked out their website and they seem to be legit

[quote name='gohatters' timestamp='1311096256' post='3404684']
I'm so terrified after reading this thread. As a lefty i rely heavily on eBay for clubs. I almost always buy used just because I don't have the budget for a new set every year. But after reading this I'm so discouraged.

I'm glad i found this thread when i did though. I was tossed up between buying a set of Callaway X Forged irons (2007) from eBay or Callawaypreowned.com. Luckily Cally was running a deal for the British of 17% off all orders over $100 so the price was basically the same. Obviously i went w/ Cally.

But that brings me to my next point. there is a seller with 8-10 sets of "new" 2007 Callaway X Forged irons, and thats only what i see in the Lefty section for around $330. I'm not sure if they're fake, but I don't like those odds.*EDIT: Nevermind, i checked out their website and they seem to be legit
[/quote]

I think your last sentence was the single most important thing that could come out of this project - you are now aware of the problem and you [u]checked[/u] out the vender. There are many hundreds (or even thousands) of these sites selling fake golf equipment with more and more popping up ever day. For any thread, including this one, to try to list them all is impossible. However, it should be obvious to anyone who has followed the history of this thread that these fake sites are not too difficult to identify. Especially when the "if it seems too good to be true" test is applied, they stand up and literally scream - be careful folks. I am a problem waiting to happen. Congratulations to all of my WRX friends who are becoming an educated consumer army. We may not kill 'em all but we have put out a sign that says "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE".

Thanks again, folks.

What about this company? Selling Scotty Cameron Napa California for $229?

http://www.24discountgolf.com/Disc-Golf-16550-Titleist-Scotty-Cameron-Napa-California-Putter.html

24DiscountGolf?

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1311929065' post='3433363']

[url="http://www.24discountgolf.com/Disc-Golf-16550-Titleist-Scotty-Cameron-Napa-California-Putter.html"]http://www.24discoun...nia-Putter.html[/url]

24DiscountGolf?
[/quote]

I don't trust them. They have a BBB Accredited Business logo on the bottom of their page, but if you actually go to the BBB site and search, no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Scuds20' timestamp='1311932190' post='3433383']
[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1311929065' post='3433363']

[url="http://www.24discountgolf.com/Disc-Golf-16550-Titleist-Scotty-Cameron-Napa-California-Putter.html"]http://www.24discoun...nia-Putter.html[/url]

24DiscountGolf?
[/quote]

I don't trust them. They have a BBB Accredited Business logo on the bottom of their page, but if you actually go to the BBB site and search, no luck.
[/quote]

Way fake grips off bad shaft band bad head cover

A lot of people (albeit older, less internet savvy) that I golf with have been using dhgate.com for club purchases and they've all been happy with the deals and the clubs themselves. Keep in mind they are 18-25 HC'ers and probably wouldn't necessarily notice big differences. I play to about a 6-7 but am always looking for a good deal. Out of half curiousity, half naivety I bought a TM R11 driver off the site for $175. I was obviously skeptical but the driver came wrapped in TM plastic sheathes, has the TM sticker on the shaft (I have other genuine TM clubs, they covered all their bases) and the taylormade hologram near the grip. I entered the serial number...no problems. I waggled the shaft and was blown away. The blur 60 shaft may be soft, but this felt like at least a regular shaft if not a senior shaft. Ok, I told myself, that's no problem...

Went to the range at lunch, in my eagerness to try it out. Hit a few balls, went just OK. Did some tuning, hit some more balls, noticed a difference. Then I heard a really different noise on the next shot. I looked down at the face...yep, I had caved it in. You could see where the practice ball which had a black marker line on it had impacted the face, near the top line on the sweet spot. Nothing major, but definitely a dent. I swing hard at the ball, but I'd never experienced anything like this before. After hitting ~500 balls with the driver since then, nothing else has gone bad and when I put a good swing on the club, it really goes.

The head itself looks identical to one at my local Golftown (I took it in and compared) but the shaft being so whippy and the face caving in really lead me to believe that it's a fake. But get this. I swapped in my instructor's shaft, a really high end one from his R9 supertri and was absolutely bombing the ball, further and straighter than the Superfast I had been playing. I plan on playing with the head for the rest of the year then sending it to TM to see what the deal is. If it's real they'll give me a new one. If not, I'll know for sure.

TL;DR - dhgate.com - fakes? probably. really good fakes? yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought R11 from these guys.. www.i golf yoo .com and it was after they told me on numerous occasions that they don't sell fakes!!
I made the mistake to think it was coming from the US...

Received clubs, but very obvious they are fakes.
Got them compared next to the real thing….
My igolf yoo club had:
1. fake grip and ladies on on men's club
2. Club head smaller than original
3. Shaft I order was stiff…one I received had more flex than a senior shaft!
4. Bought 10.5…loft was measured by clubpro/clubfitter at 14.3 degrees at address.
5. Original shaft is mud finish with cobweb weaved around shaft…the fakes were shiny cheap stuff.
6. Writing on clubhead differ
7. Head cover very cheap material compared to real headcover.
8. Can't hit it over 220m! 280m+ with original on very next shot!!
9. Very loud ping at contact! Earpiercing! Original have deap thud sound.

Please be aware it's a fake!!! Let my lesson be yours too!

And they don't want to reply to any emails after sale was made!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to golf and have made some ebay purchases. One driver had such a cheap grip on it I was suspicious but a dealer said the club was legit. Another which has not been looked at by a dealer/professional/expert does not actually have grooves cut into the face. I thought they all had grooves cut into them. This one just has dark lines on the face with the white dots and the X . Any thoughts on this. The club is a Callaway FTiz Tour Looks pretty good, magnet wont stick just thought there should be grooves cut into it instead of just the lines on it.???????

[quote name='Lee J' timestamp='1315515561' post='3551629']
Could this possibly be legit? If so, please save one for me......

[url="http://www.factory-golf.com/titleist-mens-scotty-cameron-california-coronado-putter-247.html"]http://www.factory-g...putter-247.html[/url]
[/quote]

haha it looks good to me... especially for 85, might have to grab me one.

[quote name='a1shooter' timestamp='1316860182' post='3587294']
Anybody have any dealings with greatgolfsales on ebay?
[/quote]

I just joined this site as I was looking for help. Based on a couple days research, and looking for Mizuno 63 irons, I found several "discount" offers all selling genuine Mizuno products for 40-50% the cost from [url="http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/mizuno-golf-authorized-online-dealers"]http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/mizuno-golf-authorized-online-dealers[/url] . When I contacted several of these online vendors, I wanted graphite shafts but none of them gave me a choice of shaft. When I asked which graphite shaft were fitted with these clubs, I was told Exsar MI-1. I know Mizuno uses Exsar shafts, but I couldn't find the specs for these MI-1's. I contacted Mizuno and the following is there response: Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. The Exsar MI-1 shaft was never installed or offered by Mizuno USA and we do not have specifications available.

Just thought I'd share for anyone else looking to purchase Mizuno. Guess I'll stick with the authorized dealer list.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone wants to save money. In this economy who wouldn't. But when it comes to golf equipment you MUST do your homework. Go to a legitimate retailer site [Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, etc] and check out their price[s] first. Then surf around for a discounted price and if the price you find seems too good to be true, then beware. It's really as simple as that folks. :good:

• 1 month later...

Just found this one:

[url="http://www.onlinegolfwholesaler.com/"]http://www.onlinegolfwholesaler.com/[/url]

Titleist 712MBs for $389.00
Scottys for $139

And this one is real good...

A "combo set":
Titleist 910D3 driver + 712 AP2s.... $639.00

M1, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
Titleist TMB 2 iron, ti X100
mp68 4-pw, ti x100
Vokey 52* (x100), 56* (X100) ,60* (s400)
Scotty Mid Slant
ProV1x