Need a jury for an ebay dispute....

ur1down

So I purchased a Scotty Newport 2 oil can that was advertised at 34" factory length and in excellent condition.

What I recieved was a well worn newport 2 at 35". I told the seller I could overlook the condition because it was well cared for, just well used, however the putter was clearly 35" and of no use to me. The seller doesn't understand why I can't just cut it down.

I asked for a refund and the seller reluctantly agreed but will not refund the $25 I paid to ship it USPS Express. I even have agreed to pay the return shipping but feel I am entitled to the $25 I originally paid for Express shipping since it was my money and I should not be out anything because the item was misrepresented.

The sellers stance is that listing it at 34" when it is actually 35" is no big deal and he feels that he is doing me a great service by refunding the purchase price only.

Am I out of line with this? Any thoughts might be helpful. I know it is not much money but it is a matter of principle with me. I may send the seller to view this forum so I appreciate the feedback.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the previous post - hopefully you paid by PayPal. An inch might not seem like much but on putters that is a material misrepresentation and I wouldn't want to be out $25 for something I would not even have bid on if it had been correctly listed.

I've been very lucky on eBay but I also won't bid unless the seller has quite a few transactions behind him first. Definitely no first timers. Good Luck, I hope it works out in your favor.

I just recently purchased a set of 690 mbs on ebay. When I opened up the box, much to my chagrin was a set of 690.mbs.

I contacted the seller immediatly to let him know that I had no use for the irons as well. I told him he was going to send me back either XX amount of dollars to cover my troubles in selling them, or all the money that I paid (selling price, shipping, duty into Canada and the cost to ship them back).

He ended just sending me the money for me to resell them.

Kind of a pain in the butt considering that he owns a golf store on ebay and was claiming that he did not know there was 2 different sets.

I guess that is comes down to no harm no foul as I found a buyer for the 690.mbs locally and then bought my 690 mbs.

I did pay with paypal and told the seller I would file if I was not refunded. Does paypal reimburse shipping costs to the seller?

Also, I am more interested in if you guys think I am in the right asking for a refund including my shipping costs.

The seller misrepresented the item, so he should refund all costs including USPS Standard shipping charges. I don't think he should be responsible for the full USPS Express shipping charges if that was requested by you. Personally, I would have the seller refund the costs to get it cut down and just move on.

I did pay with paypal and told the seller I would file if I was not refunded. Does paypal reimburse shipping costs to the seller?

Also, I am more interested in if you guys think I am in the right asking for a refund including my shipping costs.

The seller misrepresented the item, so he should refund all costs including USPS Standard shipping charges. I don't think he should be responsible for the full USPS Express shipping charges if that was requested by you. Personally, I would have the seller refund the costs to get it cut down and just move on.

Why should the seller only refund standard shipping? I paid him $25 for Express which only cost him $19 and I am asking for my $25 back. I am even willing to pay the return shipping but I want my original shipping costs returned because they are mine. He's not out anything.

Why should the seller only refund standard shipping? I paid him $25 for Express which only cost him $19 and I am asking for my $25 back. I am even willing to pay the return shipping but I want my original shipping costs returned because they are mine. He's not out anything.

You are not out of line. The seller misrepresented the item. If the seller had sent what was advertised this would not be an issue. I sell items on ebay and am extra careful in my descriptions to ensure their accuracy.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Why can't you cut it down an inch? What will that hurt?

The guy paid for a putter in excellent condition with a factory 34" shaft. He received a well worn putter with a 35" length shaft. Why can't the seller correctly represent the item for sale? What would that hurt?

I am tired of these ebay sellers misreping goods or sending the wrong items. The buyer gets what was advertised or they get a refund which includes their shipping cost. That's the right thing to do!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

The problem with buying on ebay is what I consider fair condition someone else might consider excellent condition. My rule is that if you are not absolutely positive that something is in the condition you want, email the seller for more detailed photos until you are content with your choice. I am a seller of left handed equipment and I often buy items off of ebay that have no photos because they sell cheap. I then photograph and advertise better and make a decent percentage on the same items. Photographs and description are what you really need to make sure your happy with before you buy. I don't sell in much volume so I have always catered to the buyer with additional info and photos.

On the shipping, that it questionable. I have 100% feedback as a seller and hope to keep that. If I were the seller and made this simple mistake of measurement, I would either offer to pay to have it cut down which should only be about $10.00 or give you a full refund. It is not worth the bad feedback and hassle to fight over a few bucks as a seller. This is just my opinion.

So I purchased a Scotty Newport 2 oil can that was advertised at 34" factory length and in excellent condition.

What I recieved was a well worn newport 2 at 35". I told the seller I could overlook the condition because it was well cared for, just well used, however the putter was clearly 35" and of no use to me. The seller doesn't understand why I can't just cut it down.

I asked for a refund and the seller reluctantly agreed but will not refund the $25 I paid to ship it USPS Express. I even have agreed to pay the return shipping but feel I am entitled to the $25 I originally paid for Express shipping since it was my money and I should not be out anything because the item was misrepresented.

The sellers stance is that listing it at 34" when it is actually 35" is no big deal and he feels that he is doing me a great service by refunding the purchase price only.

Am I out of line with this? Any thoughts might be helpful. I know it is not much money but it is a matter of principle with me. I may send the seller to view this forum so I appreciate the feedback.

i purchased a putter that was advertised as being 35".when i got here it was 33 1/2".i filed a claim with paypal.they paid only 200.00 dollars less a $25.00 fee for a net of 175.00 after they told me to send it back and i would get a full refund.now i am waiting for the balance if paypal can recover it from the seller.so he has the putter and owes me 125.00 dollars more..great deal on his part.don't send it back unless paypal can tell you they have the full amount of what you paid.

i purchased a putter that was advertised as being 35".when i got here it was 33 1/2".i filed a claim with paypal.they paid only 200.00 dollars less a $25.00 fee for a net of 175.00 after they told me to send it back and i would get a full refund.now i am waiting for the balance if paypal can recover it from the seller.so he has the putter and owes me 125.00 dollars more..great deal on his part.don't send it back unless paypal can tell you they have the full amount of what you paid.

This is what I'm worried about

I have a 140 rating that is 100% positive and have never had a problem as a buyer or seller. I guess I just feel like this seller should handle the situation a little different. If it were me and I made the mistake in the listing, I would have no problem with a full refund, shipping inclused and would have also paid for the return shipping. I also would have never listed this particular putter as"excellent". It is more like a 7.5 out of 10 and the seller made it out to be mint.

Actually he'll be out the $19.00 original shipping costs. That may be enough for him to deny you any type of return/refund and take the negative feedback. Just not worth the headache in trying to get a refund. A good seller should/would have offered to refund all costs, including return shipping, since he did misrepresent the item. Doesn't sound like this seller is willing to do so. Your only recourse is to get a refund from Paypal, but is it worth the hassle?