2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Keep Up!

Gxgolfer

capt.fljaj50103250049.players_championship_golf_fljaj501.jpg

Sabbatini is quick about complaints

By JASON SCHNEIDER, The Times-Union

Amy Sabbatini's T-shirt said it all: "KEEP UP!"

Rory Sabbatini, Amy's husband, is known for his speedy play and short temper when it comes to slow players.

Sabbatini's group, which included Tour rookie Camilo Villegas and Nick Faldo -- who is a slower player -- was warned once for slow play during the first round of The Players Championship on Thursday. According to Sabbatini, the group was warned twice more on Friday.

Following the second round, Sabbatini, who missed the cut at 9 over, complained about the lack of enforcement when it came to the PGA Tour's pace-of-play policy.

Sabbatini's group played Friday's back nine in 3 hours and finished the round in just over 5 1/2 hours.

"There are certainly some people that could use some help with their pace of play," Sabbatini said. "From my understanding [the rules officials] are not enforcing the rules. ... It's not my job to enforce the rules. You can't tell the players, here's a rule book, go enforce the rules."

Faldo said that Sabbatini called Tour rules official Mark Russell at home Thursday night to complain, and Faldo did not take the high road when asked about Amy Sabbatini's shirt.

"It's very embarrassing to bring their sexual problems to the golf course," Faldo said. "Poor fellow, he has enough problems as it is without her announcing it to the world."

Sabbatini and Villegas were both generally quick to hit their balls, but Faldo, even after he clearly was going to miss the cut took several practice swings before addressing his ball, only to back off, take more practice swings and re-address the ball. Faldo finished 11 over.

Sabbatini appeared to take the slow play in stride and shook Faldo's hand following the round, but indirectly criticized the six-time major championship winner when asked about his group's speed of play.

"Villegas was a complete professional," Sabbatini said. "And I'll leave it at that."

Sabbatini made headlines last year when he hit past notoriously slow-playing Ben Crane at the Booz Allen, a major breach of golf etiquette. Sabbatini apologized and since then he has tried to slow the pace of his game, but still is frustrated at slow play.

The Tour's pace-of-play policy outlines how much time each player and group has to take a shot and play a hole. Groups that are behind time are warned and players can be fined for slow play. Severe violators of the rules can be assessed stroke penalties, though that is incredibly rare.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great response by Faldo! Rory seems to get himself into controversy all the time, he needs to learn to shut his mouth or handle situations in a more profesional manner

Faldo did a good job to shake it off and, in the end, defuse what could have been a war of words. Mrs. Sabbatini's shirt was a silly, immature idea, and if Rory knew about it in advance, he should have told her not to wear it.

That said, Faldo's wit and the Sabbatinis obnoxiouxness do not negate the fact that Faldo and plenty of pros do play way too slow and for the good of the game need to address their speed of play.

I agree with Rory's point about slow play, but be professional about it. To have your wife wear that shirt shows a total lack of class. She dresses like she stole his heart in the champagne room. Props to Faldo, that's why I like him better than Miller. He has a great knowledge of the game and a sense of humor too.

Mabye if the officials would actually enforce the rules Sabbitini and his wife wouldn't have to be so vocal. Why was Faldo taking forever when he was clearly, without a doubt going to miss the cut? I don't care how hard the course is, 5 1/2 hours is waaaaaaaay too long.

Faldo's remark was far more classless and crass than the shirt. Besides, how would he know?

Slow play on tour is a big problem for other players, TV broadcasters, and the fans. Instead of brushing it under the rug, the tour should penalize (strokes) players like Langer, Harrington, Crane, and Day. They disrupt the play of other players and make on site and TV viewing tedious.

Faldo's reply was pretty funny. But when you think about it, this is one of those cases that proves why it's better to show some restraint and not just speak your mind. A lot of us wish the robotic tour players would open up a little and wonder why they do not, well now that Faldo did that you can see why it's not often a great idea. It sounds funny at first, but after a bit even Faldo has to regret saying that.

Perhaps the Sabbatinis have some problems, really the tour has serious problems with slow play, but worse as much as I like Faldo, his comments only bring embarrassment to a great player. Is his game in such a sad shape that he has to cover it up with these deflecting snide remarks? I hope not.

When Faldo is in the booth, would he have nothing to say about a player taking proactive swings, lining up, then backing off to take more practice swings over and over? Of course he would, and it would not be all that nice. Faldo, Tirico, and friends are the same guys laughing at Sergio and counting how many times he regripped the club over the ball. Short memories these guys have.

"Faldo's remark was far more classless and crass than the shirt. Besides, how would he know?"

Don't you get the joke in it or something!?

I don't think for one minute that Faldo will regret or retract his words because he has always been a player who says what's on his mind eg his victory speach at Muirfield when he won the Open, thanking the press from the bottom of my.... .... heart of my bottom perhaps!

The Queen should get her a** into gear and knight this great chap. Roll on Sir Nick!!

Faldo has a great sense of humor, that is hilarious. Sabbatini has a point though, slow play by certain players on tour has been around for a long time. The PGA tour has really done very little to address and solve the problem. When a group fell behind all players in that group were on the clock regardless of who was causing the delays. I believe now that they can time individuals within a group which is a better idea, however, until they start assessing 2 stroke penalties on a regular basis the slow play will continue on tour.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

"Faldo's remark was far more classless and crass than the shirt. Besides, how would he know?"

I don't think for one minute that Faldo will regret or retract his words because he has always been a player who says what's on his mind eg his victory speach at Muirfield when he won the Open, thanking the press from the bottom of my.... .... heart of my bottom perhaps!

The Queen should get her a** into gear and knight this great chap. Roll on Sir Nick!!

He may have been joking, but just went too far. There is a big difference between a general comment about the press and a very nasty comment about an individual.

As for knighting him, who cares? This is no longer the 18th century and the Royals serve no purpose other than to remind the English when they were the dominant power in the world. What does the Queen do other than spend a lot of money and wave?

I loved Nick's comments. I think they are hilarious. When Rory wins as many majors as Nick then he can call him out. Until then he needs to keep those things between himself and the tour. The only thing Rory accomplishes is making an Word not allowed out of himself everytime he opens his mouth and everytime his wife is present.

He may have been joking, but just went too far. There is a big difference between a general comment about the press and a very nasty comment about an individual.

As for knighting him, who cares? This is no longer the 18th century and the Royals serve no purpose other than to remind the English when they were the dominant power in the world. What does the Queen do other than spend a lot of money and wave?

That's no way to talk about the Canadian Head of State, Her Majesty the Queen of Canada. :)

I agree that the pace of play should be addressed and strictly enforced. You start to peanalize a few high profile players and the rest will pick up the pace.

Granted Nicks comments are hillarious and Amy's shirt is Hillarious but I think both should use some professional judgement and use some more class in getting thier points accross.

Could Sabbatini's wife be golf's version of Anna Benson--yikes!! And just because you agree with one argument he made doesn't make him any less an Word not allowed...there was a Golf Digest article a few years back asking caddies who had the biggest ego on the tour and guess who won...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

i'm sorry but i don't care what RS is able to accomplish or how good of a year he is having---he needs to shut his mouth. the guys are at the player's yearly meeting, maybe he could make his point there. to have his wife (a la vijay's caddie) make his statements for him is ridiculous.

Faldo is an ambassador in my eyes and not someone to be called out. sabbatini admits that he plays too fast in addition to some guys playing too slow. if more tour members agreed with him, don't you think the tour would be more strict with fining? then again, they don't make their fines public so we'll never know.

I agree with Rory's point about slow play, but be professional about it. To have your wife wear that shirt shows a total lack of class. She dresses like she stole his heart in the champagne room. Props to Faldo, that's why I like him better than Miller. He has a great knowledge of the game and a sense of humor too.

DITTO THAT. I had a thread in regards to Amy Sabbatini in a previous thread (link below). This just further gives me the impression that she's a classless act. I loved Faldo's response - her public comments are just getting preposterous at this point - I can't imagine why Tim Finchem isn't mentioning this to Rory.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20307