Deschamps HCOG putter review

Geo

Alright, I’ve had my putter for two weeks now and figured I can finally post a legitimate review. I wanted to get some real play on this, but we’ve only had a couple days without rain, snow, since getting this putter (including a nice storm this morning) so have been limited. I have managed mucho, mucho practice time with this putter though and feel fairly confident in giving an initial review. I’ll follow up once I get some rounds under my belt. Anyway, for those of you who don’t remember, sergizmo (Serge), posted the making of my putter thread HERE.

The putter I ordered and received spec’d to:

Head weight: 360g (actual 360.5g)

Length: 33” (actual)

Lie: 72* (actual)

Finish--face: high polish (actual)

Finish--top: medium satin (actual)

Finish--other: light polish (actual)

Stampings: exactly as requested

Grip: Gripmaster Redmond Stichback

Initial Impressions: Bubblewrap AND peanuts? :cheesy: What else can you say? Packaging was better than I had ever seen on a club. Upon inspection, I was very pleased with the appearance of the club, the personalization really gave me an immediate sense of ownership. Not just the stampings, but finish, weight, and other specs. Now, except for that extra half a gram (maybe even more once you factor in epoxy, dust, and other assorted variables :) ), this putter was EXACTLY what I asked for. I was also pleased with how compact the putter was, fits the eye real nice-like. The Gripmaster’s grip was a very nice touch and like marriage, might have ruined me for rubber. ;) The putter sets up absolutely perfectly (and if it didn’t, I’d have no one to blame but myself). Swingweight comes in at D-6.5 with the 360 gram, 33” combo, which to me is the perfect balance between tracking and distance control (not too light, not too heavy, but baby-bear "just right").

Performance: The center shaft with no offset works really well in conjunction with the low loft to impart a great roll. Oh yeah, that and the whole high-center-of-gravity thing (HCOG). ;) Nothing but anecdotal evidence to support this, but my distance control couldn't be better. Feel is very good, but the soft brass is certainly more receptive to higher compression balls (B330, HX Tour, ProV1X), than the lower counterparts. The HCOG balances soft and solid extremely well. The brass is very dense so provides consistent feedback. Consistency is actually a good theme for this putter as I can predict how the ball is going to go from my practice strokes before addressing the ball. Off-center putts aren’t punished too terribly, but direction does suffer more than distance. However, considering that this putter is in fact a blade, forgiveness is relatively good (compared to 8802-type blades).

The one negative that I found has more to do with my weakness, but is made bigger with this putter is alignment. Basically the same reason that I don't putt w/ an 8802 or bullseye--hard for me to align to my intended ball path. This might correct itself out on the course and with more practice, we shall see. Even with the double sight line--not enough depth to be meaningful. The problem is, because brass is so dense, no way to change that w/out having the headweight go over 400 grams. Most of my experience has been inside, with 2 sessions on the practice green, so “pressure” hasn’t factored into anything, but I would say average misses can go left or right of the intended target by almost 1 foot for every 15 in distance (with distance control being excellent!). Thing is, the putter puts such a great roll on the ball (and did I mention distance control?) that I'm nowhere close giving up on it.

Details: They say that the devil is in the details, and if that be the case, then Serge certainly sold his soul to Satan. :cheesy: Not only was Serge precise in his putter-making, he was very thorough in his communication. Few people can keep up with my inquiries, but he did so by not only answering every question (and I had lots), but encouraged even more questions! One thing that impressed the hell out of me was the putter cover he selected for me. Somewheres in all the PM’s and emails we exchanged I mentioned that “beruo” was a nickname I picked up in Japan. Guessing that that tie was significant, Serge picked up a Japan headcover and included that with the putter (along w/ complete care instructions and materials to keep my putter looking great). If he can continue that level of individual attention in the future, there is no doubt that he will be successful in his endeavors. :tongue:

Summary: The long and the short of this review is that right now, I don't think that this putter will unseat my TP Mills, but I think I caught some serious lightning in the bottle with that one. My Deschamps HCOG putter is every bit a contender to make it into the regular rotation and will be in my bag for at least a month to get a fair shot. This is an excellent putter that does everything it was made to do. Can't ask for more than that. :cry:

I have to give a big thank-you to Serge for all his work. Not only am I extremely pleased with this putter, it was great to get to know Serge. The guy is a fountain of knowledge who is only happy to help (or at least I wasn't able to detect any misgivings--but I can be a little slow on the pick up! :cry: ). I definitely learned a lot about putters throughout this process and think I definitely made out like a bandit on this deal. Did I mention the bubblewrap? ;)

Here's a couple of pictures that I was able to take (sadly, snowing that day--I'll try to get some pictures up again this week, supposed to get some sun). The comparisons are made to the TP Mills and Bettinardi putters that I have. Good comparison actually, I was holding this putter to a high standard and it came out very favorably. For better pics, check out Serge's thread (here for those who'd rather not scroll up a bit) or wait until the sun shines on Utah so I can post some of my own.

Anyway, any questions? Comments?

beruo

:hi:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for the review and kind words buddy.;) I'm glad to hear the roll was tight and distance control was good. Now just learn how to line up properly! :tongue: Kidding, kidding. :)

This is really a "players" putter, only 4.125" heel-toe. Kind of an updated blade. The 2nd model that I posted is 4.5" heel-toe with more perimeter weighting and higher MOI. Super stable.

I'm glad you enjoy it beruo, be sure to keep me (and everyone else) up to date when you hit the course with this puppy.

Serge

Great review Beruo!

Serge's attention to detail is outstanding - even if he was half a gram off on the headweight - and he is a joy to work with.

I hope you make many snakes with your Deschamps.

-Thomas

Thanks LT, now I can go about reading your review. I avoided it to keep mine independent--I'm just hoping I don't have to drain any snakes, but considering how my range time was . . . I'll be needing to! :)

Beruo,

Great review. (I would expect nothing less) :tongue:

I have been very impressed with Serge, having met him earlier this year.

Glad to hear things worked out on your lefty machine.

Looking forward to seeing more of Serge's work. Sounds like the service was at as high of a standard as his machining.

:)

Thanks a lot for the review and kind words buddy.:cheesy: I'm glad to hear the roll was tight and distance control was good. Now just learn how to line up properly! ;) Kidding, kidding. :)

This is really a "players" putter, only 4.125" heel-toe. Kind of an updated blade. The 2nd model that I posted is 4.5" heel-toe with more perimeter weighting and higher MOI. Super stable.

I'm glad you enjoy it beruo, be sure to keep me (and everyone else) up to date when you hit the course with this puppy.

Serge

:cry: Looks like your putter knowledge is exceeded only by your ability to kick a guy in his weak spots! ;) Even when I get set with a putter, I have to break out a mallet fairly frequently to help w/ allignment. I look forward to further "testing" (I wish all tests were this fun!) with this and future Deschamps putters. Thanks again for the opportunity to "help." :tongue:

beruo

edit: Thanks 'sider. Serge's standards are matched only by his ability to kick people and his ability to produce a lefty putter! I think his own dexterity makes him more southpaw-friendly. I have a dream that lefty boys and righty boys will one day be able to shop at the same stores with equal choices, I have a dream. :cry:

George,

Great review! Mine is supposed to be shipping this week and I cannot wait to get it!

Matt

M3 9.5* - ACCRA TZ5 265 M5      M5 Rocket 14* Matrix Black 8M3    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
TM 2014 TP 4-PW DG TI X100     RTX4  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     Evnroll ER5    Titleist  Players 4
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

• 1 month later...

Alright, exactly 2 months have passed since I first reviewed this putter, and exactly 1 year since I joined Golfwrx. Thought it was maybe time to revisit this and add some on-course impressions.

One thing that I have noticed is that my overall putting has gotten much better. I'm not posting any 25-putt rounds, but let's just say that my short game/approach shots aren't been affording me that many opportunities! ;) My distance control is, as ever, all the better and while direction is still somewhat problematic, I don't find myself putting outside 4 feet very often at all (average second putt is generally at 3-ish feet when the first put is at least 30 feet away--the sad thing is I ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION TO LAME VICTORIES LIKE THAT NOW!!! :cheesy: ). Thing is, this putter is not a point and shoot from inside 6-feet like a neo-mallet (monza), so my confidence could be better (Indian folks, not so much the arrow).

The putter has been wearing nicely, and I had a nice little patina-action going, which I ended up cleaning (using Serge's included instructions and supplies--very helpful). I think I like the "worn look" on this putter more, as the brass can be bothersome on very sunny days. The paintfil did come out of the site-lines, but I've started to find them to be more of a distraction (drew my eyes toward the rear of the putter when addressing my line). Sans paintfil is working much better--and I've gotten use to the putter well enough to know where the sweet spot is (big stick comign out the middle is somewhat helpful too :crazy: ).

Grip: I thought I'd address this here as it is part of my putter, but my SD HCOG putter has a GripMaster stitchback grip on it (the red version--can't remember the color name right now). I really do like this grip. Initially I found the stitching on the back to be distracting (very relatively speaking), but this could have been due to my hands being soft from the winter lay off. Combination of hands getting tougher and grip getting worn-in has the stitching on the back very much working in my opinion. Also, I've read some complaints that the stitchback is not tacky enough. Maybe I'm not putting from as far as they are (doubt it . . . I'm putting from evil, Pelz-like distances sometimes), but I've yet to have the putter come out of my hands. It is certainly not as tacky as some other GripMaster grips, but it does get more tacky with sweat, humidity (granted Utah-humidity . . . in May :crazy: ), and light rain (practice green only, hasn't rained on me recently), and is more tacky than the GripMaster simulated leather grips (or any rubber grip for that matter this side of winn or the dual density but MUCH more durable!) but YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT CLEAN.

In sumation, this is a putter that I'll definitely keep in my collection and while it won't be my primary putter for the forseeable future, it will make regular guest appearances at local courses (I don't rule it out though). One thing that I did get out of this whole thing that I didn't anticipate (besides aforementioned putter--that was kind of implied in the initial "who wants a putter" thread :cheesy: ) was a new friend. Serge was awesome to work with and I've been fortunate to exchange emails with him many times over the last few months. I wish him the best! :crazy2:

beruo

George,

Glad you still like the putter. New models will have a much higher MOI so knee-knocking 4 footers won't be as knee-knocking. I got the "playa" putter done first. ;) I've got another model designed that you'll get a look at.

The paintfill procedure and paint will be updated to improve durability. I'm thinking automotive touch-up paint should do the trick.

Talk to you soon,

Serge