Show your love for the Titleist 704CB's?

giogolf

Well I have searched,high and low on this forum for the reasons why you guys like the 704Cb's, but none were real definetive answers.

So if you are currently playing this iron this season, why do you like this iron over others? What type of trajectory are you getting with your head shaft combo? How good do these feel? What type of player are you, and what is your handicap?

I currently have the MP32's coming from TM300's an MP37's, but I still feel I need the forgivness of a full cavity iron. I am going to put my love of blades away this season and really focus on getting my score low.

I just picked up a set of 704's and will reshaft them with DGS300. So what do you guys think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a fan club for these irons, I think I'd be the president. I flat out love these irons.

They're so forgiving on off center hits and in the long irons. Whether they're hit on the heel or the toe, even bad swings go close to the right distance. The lofts are relatively weak by today's cavity back standards, so the long irons get up in the air and stop on greens. When they're flushed, boy do they feel great. The head size is perfect for me, not too large but not so small and the top line is fairly thin.

Addmittedly, I'm not one to wax poetically about the difference in forgeries and types of metal used (heck I don't even think there's that big of a difference between a high quality cast club and a forged one). So the fact that they're stainless isn't a big deal at all to me. They tend to show different kind of bag chatter than a traditional carbon steel chrome forging, but heck, irons are made to dig through the dirt and not look pretty. Also, the grooves should last longer than carbon steel thanks to its hardness.

I play off an 8.3. Ball striking has always been teh weakest part of my game, although it's rapidly improving. I use DG S300's in them and play them -.5" I came from a set of Ping Zing's and 690mb's before that. When I get a new set, it'll likely be the 755's if they come to retail, but I'm in no rush.

MyBag022.jpg :)

Can't recommend these highly enough.

Used to play Ram Tour Grinds before an extended hiatus. Got back and got a set of 704's with DGR300's and went from 12 to 9 in a reasonably short period of time.

As for my handicap. Here's the link to it to show you my scores. I've gone from needing to play in the mid 80's and scoring in the high 80's, to needing to score in the low 80's and breaking it, if not consistently, at least my bad scores are in the mid 80's.

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory...k_no=4111400984

The ball feels good off the face, you know when you've hit the middle as it feels like no contact made at all, and mishits aren't punished so severely as with blades.

The shafts are not right for a I'm pretty low trajectory, but these are going to be changed for NS950's shortly and I'm expecting another jump again.

In short, I'm playing less golf now and getting better scores. Any questions?? :)

Great review, can I ask do you play your irons -.5" becasue of your height or becasue of more control?

I am 5,8" and am looking to go down -.25" this year.

Has it affected your distance?

Both actually. I'm 5'6" so I'm right on the line between standard and under. I was a bit reluctant to do it at first, but once I did boy did it make a big difference. I actually picked up distance (8 iron from 140 to 150 now) because the shorter clubs allow me to be more ontop of the ball and really hit down and compress it against the turf. Contact is also much better, the fats and thins aren't as bad any more.

The big difference I've noticed is that since cutting down my clubs I've eliminated the one or two big hooks or chunks in the middle of the round that ruins my score. My bad misses just aren't that bad any more and that's kept me from getting into the triple bogie that inflated my score.

No regrets at all. I won't be playing standard clubs ever again unless I grow another couple of inches (and even then maybe not).

Can't recommend these highly enough.

Used to play Ram Tour Grinds before an extended hiatus. Got back and got a set of 704's with DGR300's and went from 12 to 9 in a reasonably short period of time.

As for my handicap. Here's the link to it to show you my scores. I've gone from needing to play in the mid 80's and scoring in the high 80's, to needing to score in the low 80's and breaking it, if not consistently, at least my bad scores are in the mid 80's.

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory...k_no=4111400984

The ball feels good off the face, you know when you've hit the middle as it feels like no contact made at all, and mishits aren't punished so severely as with blades.

The shafts are not right for a I'm pretty low trajectory, but these are going to be changed for NS950's shortly and I'm expecting another jump again.

In short, I'm playing less golf now and getting better scores. Any questions?? :)

Thanks for your review. Am I reading your "WITB" correctly, but your shaft flexes seem to Range from XStiff to Regualr to Stiff. Is this purely what feels right to you? I guess what really got my attention was teh X200 steel shaft in the 904F, that s pretty stout, how does that fly for you?

Thanks

dead straight and not very far. :)

got them all tested and they were the results. thats why its getting reshafted shortly as well.

the 704's were pretty good, all either D1 or D2 and within tolerances, yet my 56 vokey was swinging D9.

if you can get em matched and tested before buying i highly recommend it.

I play the 704 cb's and love them too. They were actually my first set of clubs. I didn't pick them - my wife went out and bought them for my birthday because I wanted to take up a new hobby. That was a year ago and I couldn't be happier.

They have DG R300 shafts and I had them re-gripped and shortened .25 as well as having the lie angles bent. I know I went bass ackwards, but what else can you do when you get clubs as a gift.

Luckily they pay well for me. I get a mid high trajectory and the 8 iron is my 150 yard club. I see no need to change anytime soon as I feel I am progressing at a pace that is satisfactory to me.

I have played right around a year and broke 100 about 2 months in and have been sniffing around the 90 mark for a while. I took a package of lessons so I can nt take all the credit.

But to summarize, I would say they are pretty forgiving for a complete newbie to have as much success as I have with them. The top line is relatively thin and the soles are pretty thin as well.

Since they have started showing up on ebay pretty cheap I am tempted to get another set and re-shaft with a set of rifle projext xhls.

Todd

Gotta jump on the bandwagon and say the 704s are an outstanding club. Not nearly as pretty as a chromed iron, but much more durable. Very forgiving and very solid. Had mine reshafted with Rifles to get a little higher flight, as I'm a low ball hitter. Rifles, even though stiff, also provide a smoother feel than the DGS300's I had before.

Play mine at +0.5", down from +0.75". I'm 6'4", so need extra length - but found that less equated to more solid contact and better distance control.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

Moderately forgiving, and looks decent shape wise. Definetly softer than Mizunos IMO. The finish leaves something to be desired. I've had mine for a year and a half and they look like the Raw w/o rust. Fairly durable, considering how many countless seven iron shots ive hit off mats. Ball flight might be a tad high, but my swing is creating a penetrating flight in recent times. a regular seven is 172 at sea level, 180 in colorado. All clubs go the same distance for me :idhitit: . I put swingweight in the cavity to hopefully bring the clubs to about a d-4, and the weight increased clubheadfeel dramatically.

Im 6'2'' and use them an inch over DG s300(ya it's a little long but i can always trim). Click is just between a cast (a la callaway or ping) and Titleist forging. I actually like clickiness, so its not really an issue (maybe ive been using them so long i'm accustomed to firm feel).

Definetly softer than Mizunos IMO.

thats hard to believe. Does anyone else think they feel softer than mizunos?

I've got the hands of a blacksmith, I have difficulty telling teh difference between high quality cast and forged clubs.

However, even I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 704's are softer than Mizunos. But of course feel is so subjective, you never know until you try. :idhitit:

I have the 704's in X100 and a set of Mizy Mp33-30's and can tell you that the 704's are NOT softer feeling than the 33's. Not even close. I feel that the 704's are an extremely great set of irons for the mass of players with a need for a cavity. Probably the best from Titleist in a long time. In saying that I want to try the 735's.......