Mp32's and your Handicap?

giogolf

I am having a hard time shooting better than a 16hc in the first of the 8 rounds that I have played this season. I atribute this to poor managment, three puts and chunking shots. I feel like a big hack when I show up to the course and play my MP32's. I just feel that my playing partners (people I just meet up with) think I am ridiculous playing a blade type iron.

Last season I got down to a 10 playing 1-2 times per week, with MP37. But this year and I know its really early, I am having a hard time. Maybe I am putting to much pressure on myself but, I am trying to convince myself that I do not need cavity backs.

So whats your HC if you are playing the MP32's?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm currently sitting at a 11.7 handicap and i play the MP-32's. last year i got down to a 9.3 handicap. for the most part, i'm probably playing a set of clubs that i have no good reason to play. my counsel to you would be to relax and play what you like...i've played with the best golfers in my area (+ handicappers) and i treat it as a learing experience instead of thinking "i wonder if they think i can play XXX clubs?".

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I bought MP 30's just as the 32 & now the 60's came about. The 30's have helped me I did go to a split set with more forgiving mid irons, I also spend a good time on the range working on my swing. Starting golf in the early 1970's playing blades did help alot and I have emontional problems going to a thick top line as most forgiving irons now have. My suggestion is hit the range / lesson.

Golf on a budget

Callaway X 460 10* Fujikura 64

Callaway X tour 13* Fujikura 26.3

Mizuno 18* & 24* semicore stiff shaft

Cleveland Ta6 5&6 irons reg shaft

Mizuno MP 30 7-W stiff shaft

Cleveland 900 Gunmetal 52*, 56* & 60*

Bettinardi Baby Bee

Percept U tri Tour

I am a 12 and enjoy my mp32s. I use the 60s in longer irons to help out. I have been toying with the idea of switching to cbs to make my distance control a little better but it is hard to give up the control of the 32s.

I dont know if my playing partners ever notice my clubs.

I have also found I have the ability to hit a huge fat shot no matter what type of irons I am carrying that day if my game is off.

The mizzys just feel soooo good

I played to a 6 last season with the MP-32's. They are not too terribly punitive if you have a repeatable swing. Handicaps can be misleading anyway. If the iron game is the strong part of your game, then they may not hurt you too bad. But, I have switched just for a little more forgiveness for this season.

Check out the clubs of the PGA pros on this site. More and more are playing more forgiving styles of clubs. I think we can all learn something from that.

I am having a hard time shooting better than a 16hc in the first of the 8 rounds that I have played this season. I atribute this to poor managment, three puts and chunking shots. I feel like a big hack when I show up to the course and play my MP32's. I just feel that my playing partners (people I just meet up with) think I am ridiculous playing a blade type iron.

Last season I got down to a 10 playing 1-2 times per week, with MP37. But this year and I know its really early, I am having a hard time. Maybe I am putting to much pressure on myself but, I am trying to convince myself that I do not need cavity backs.

So whats your HC if you are playing the MP32's?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I played the MP 32s last year, my hdcp ranged from 7.5 to 9.3 at the time but irons are the weakest part of my game, so when I'm hacking it with the irons, I felt ridiculous playing the MP 32s. However, I must say that the MP 32s are one of the best irons I've ever played and they were actually no harder to hit than the Srixon I 302s and RAC LT1s that I've also played in the past. If anything, I just felt that I needed more forgiveness in the longer irons so now, I'm using the Bridgestone J33 Combos and very happy with them, the longer irons have a tungsten weight that makes them a little more forgiving, they are to me just as good as the MP 32s with the longer irons a tad more forgiving. To me, I have to like the way my equipment looks and I prefer the traditional design and the MP 32s are just flat out great looking sticks, it might just be me, my bad iron shots are either fat or thin (a shank too sometimes when I get too flat) and game improvement cavity backs never helped me in this department. I have tried to like them but if you are like me, you'll end up just getting the MP 32s or some blade type looking clubs again.

IMO, if you play what you like, in the long run, your game will continue to improve. I'm 47 yrs. old and one of the few benefits of this age is I seem to care less about what people think.

Have a great golfing season and enjoy those beautiful MP 32s.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

My 32's are the only thing that stays constant in my bag. They are the greatest. I currently play to a 3.7...

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

My handicap is currently 8.2 and I have been playing the MP32s for approximately nine months and hope to keep them in the bag for a long time. Previously, I played Mizuno T-Zoid Pro IIs for several years which were billed as a cavity back, but were really more like a blade. I too decided that I had no business playing this type of club if the pros weren't and I opted for more forgiveness and switched to the X-Tours.

After about 3 months I realized that they were a mistake. My main complaints about the X-Tours was the amount of bounce on the firm Texas fairways I play on and more importantly I could never tell where on the clubface I struck the ball. After being frustrated with my iron play, which is normally the strongest part of my game, I traded the X-Tours in for the MP32s and have seen my GIRs go up and my distance from the pin go down.

I will admit when I first read about "Cut-Muscle" technology I had my doubts, but IMHO there is something to this. I think the MP32s are definitely easier to hit than my old Pro IIs which had more of a cavity and easier than some of the other game improvement clubs on the market. The middle and short irons are no problem, but I will occasionally mis-hit the 3 and 4 irons depending on the lie.

I agree with mr. divots that if you have a repeatable and consistent swing they are not a difficult club to hit. I may eventually go to a combo set of MP60s / 32s, but for now I will keep swinging the 32s.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I just bought my second set of MP-32s, after the first set was stolen. My index is 1.6 right now.

I have only one small complaint about the 32's: I can't work the ball as much as I could with my old pure blades. But I hit everything before I bought the second set, and I found nothing else that offered the same balance of feel, consistency and forgiveness, so I sacrificed a little workability.

gioGolf:

I have a 13.3 index and just picked up the MP-32's this past christmas. I love the feel from the clubs and wouldn't give them up, but, I'm wondering if I could use a bit more forgiveness in those less than perfect shots. Having said that, I still love the mizu Mp-32's though so if I were to switch, I'd go and get the Mp-60's!

MDHacker

Thanks for all the input!

Well, I have decided to sell my MP32's. I have played Mizuno for the past 4 years, and love them very much. The MP60 would be my first choice, but at $625 average eBay price is a lot for what I usualy pay for irons.

Unless I can get a set for $550 I am probably going with the Srixon I302, Bridgestone CB's, or Titleist 690CB's.

Even though my misses are fat shots, I do not feel comfortable playing a blade anymore. I have given this a lot of thought and I will try my hardest to play with Forged Cavity Back irons.