UST Audio Chat- Warning Large but in 3 parts

Gxgolfer

Thanks everyone for a fantastic Chat!
GolfWRX would like to thank:

Randy Stuart, Sales/Marketing, Don Rahrig, VP of Engineering, and Jamie Pipes, manager of product testing and field research for joining us last evening. Also congrats to:

1. Cameron Circle T .......a v2 hybrid shaft(tour only right now)

2. Pitchmaster 1224..........a UST headcover

3. Stickman.....................a UST hat

Part 1
http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part1.mp3
<EMBED SRC="http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part1.mp3" autostart="false">
Part 2
http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part2.mp3
<EMBED SRC="http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part2.mp3" autostart="false">
Part 3
http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part3.mp3
<EMBED SRC="http://www.golfwrx.com/audio/UST/UST040206Part3.mp3" autostart="false">

Transcripts should be up in a about a week.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf WRX UST chat Part One 04/02/2006

0:00/0:00.0 ‘everybody, we’re getting ready to start our industry chat with the UST Golf Shafts.com group. We got two out of the three guys here, one of the gentleman’s running a little bit late, so we will defer a few of those questions that he will be answering to about a half hour from now. Currently online, we have Randy Stuart, head of sales and marketing, and Dan Rahrig, vice president of engineering. We’re going to get the questions started. I do want to remind the listeners, that these guys were generous enough to donate three items. The top question will, the best question will receive a V2 hybrid shaft, which, just a friendly reminder, this is a tour only shaft, at the moment. The second best question will receive a UST head cover, and the third best question will receive a UST hat. So, we will get the questions rolling now.

01:05.6/21:00.3 Question #1 starts off from pitch master 1224: How many tour pros are currently using your products?

01:09.7/21:00.3 There’s fifty to sixty shafts in play on any given week. And depending on what players show up at the tournament, those numbers will range.

01:19.2/21:00.3 ok, now, in that number fifty to sixty, how many are in the drivers versus the fairway woods?

01:28.2/21:00.3 Again, it all depends. It’s really random. The majority are in drivers

01:33.3/21:00.3 Also, please explain the benefits of the interlink carbon fiber material.

01:42.1/21:00.3 Yeah, I’ll answer that one, the interlink carbon fiber, that’s a woven material, that we

developed when we did the Irod series of shafts. And it’s, basically the technology that you’re seeing now in reacts and some of these other shafts, we did it with the Irod product. What it does is, we put the, you’ve got two directions of fiber and we oriented it in the hybrid, in a zero and ninety. So, in a zero, you’re getting some flexural characteristics, where you put that shaft, or put that material, and then in the ninety degree , going around the shaft, you’re getting some hoop strength. So, what we’re able to do is kind of tune the flex of the shaft where you’re putting that material.

02:30.0/21:00.3 last question by pitch master is: What other combination materials are you looking at currently?

02:37.2/21:00.3 Currently, we’re focusing mainly on carbon fiber. The thing I don’t think people, everyone realize is you’ve got several different grades of carbon fiber, themselves, you’ve got standard modulus, intermediate modulus, high modulus, ultra high modulus, materials, and depending on the combination that you use, you’re going to get different characteristics in how you do your patterns, so, we’re focusing a lot on carbon right now, because it seems to be the best as far as from a strength to weight type of ratio.

03:17.4/21:00.3 Next question is by Putt for dough, actually he has two questions. First one is: To what do you attribute your success on tour?

03:25.9/21:00.3 That starts with the products on tour, and we go from there, from products that are consistent and the brands that the players and OEM have a relationship with, built on trust. And it’s interesting that the second part of that question, if I’m reading my notes correctly, is the performance features of the V2 and the technology the pros found appealing and beneficial. Well, the most thing they find appealing and beneficial is consistency, followed by better feel and launch. And I can talk a little bit more about the performance attributes the UST brand, particularly the V2.

04:05.1/21:00.3 The other thing that we did, I think that we’d have to attribute our success on tour is we have different families of shafts and each shaft has different characteristics, for a little bit different profile type player, so our tour representative are able to work players into different categories, depending on their needs. When we did V2 products, we took the technologies that we had used in the pro fourth classic, the I rod, and the Harman, and then we looked at well, hey, where are things going with heads and what are players looking for in golf balls in change, and their selection has changed, as far as, the clubs that they are putting in their bags and so on. And what we did is take the different technologies that we had on those different products and said hey lets use all of those in the V2.

04:56.1/21:00.3 Excellent. Well let me just side by here at Golf Works are very excited about your products. You know Fujikura has been kind of the buzz for a long time, and with the V2 technology coming out, we’re all ears and a lot of us are trying your product and we’re very excited about it. Next question. Where did the

idea for the frequency filter putter shaft come from?

05:23.8/21:00.3 You want to take that Randy?

05:28.3/21:00.3 I’ll defer that over to you.

05:31.7/21:00.3 Ok, What we were looking at, at UST, we saw that in the shaft category, especially in the driver shaft, there was so much going on out there, there were so many good shafts out there. And I’m going to take it back a step, when we did the Irod shaft; we were actually the first to market with a true hybrid type of product. So, what we did, we looked at the market and said, ‘hey, where can we go and where can we improve with carbon fiber products or with golf shafts? On the putter, what we looked at was there had been no technology, in putter shafts. Everything had been steel. So, we were working with some guys that were ex-Nasa, and what they came up with was this frequency filter concept that they brought to UST and we co developed with them. It’s a company called Balance Certified. And the idea is to remove the frequencies out of the shaft that are not giving you good feedback. And this device, what it does, we kind of compare it to a radio when you have static noise when you try to tune in a station, what its doing is, and it’s just removing that and its just letting the vibrations that comes through your hands. The thing is, I think that people kind of get confused about a little bit, is it really has nothing to do with frequency, like you would think in the past, as far as, staff or regular things like that. It has to do with a frequency bandwidth, that’s being passed through the filter.

07:17.6/21:00.3 I think something else to add on, as well, is it’s not a dampening device.

07:22.8/21:00.3 Exactly.

07:23.7/21:00.3 Ok, What are the benefits of it then?

07:25.9/21:00.3 The benefits that we found, was that, two things, it actually helps you find or stay on the sweet spot on your putter. Because what happens is on your midtip now you’re getting much better feedback into your hand, because you’re removing this noise. So, ultimately then, what’s happening is you’re going to lag better. Your distance control is going to be much better. If you hit the ball on the toe or hit the ball on the heel, you’re not going to have any improvement with this shaft versus a steel shaft but what’s going to happen is, you’re going to ultimately start hitting the ball and your distance control is going to be much better, because you’re going to know that ‘hey I’m missing this one, a little bit out towards the toe or a little bit in towards the heel, or whatever.

08:09.8/21:00.3 And a case in point with that, is when the winner of the 2005 Michelin Championship won, with the putter shaft, it’s interesting to know that he was #1 with putts made 20 to 30 foot. And he had no three putts, throughout the week. That is a telling sign that the technology is working, in terms of distance control.

08:31.2/21:00.3 That’s great testimony there. That’s exciting. Next question is from I can think of a name, and his question is: In the manufacturing process of the shaft, what determines where he bend point or the kick point is?

08:45.6/21:00.3 Ok, as far as the bend point and kick point, those are done during the design phase, of the shaft, and what happens is, you can use, again, different materials, we can put different inserts of materials in, maybe one 1/3 of the way up the shaft, or one of them half way up the shaft, things like that, as far as to change the bend point or the kick point. In the manufacturing process, really what’s going on there is they are reproducing what our design is. So, the manufacturing process really has nothing to do with determining where the bend point or kick point is, that’s all happening on the design phase.

09:30.9/21:00.3 Ok. Well, Let me take that a little further, let’s say Davis Love takes a V2 and says ‘hey

guys, I love the shaft, can you lower it a little bit?’ Can you guys do that?

09:42.0/21:00.3 Yes.yeah, what we do, is we look at the shaft in three zones, tip, middle and a butt, and what we would do there, what we have found, is to, try to stiffen the tip, or bring the ball flight down, within a certain design. We would actually add some material, maybe some higher modulus material, in through the tip section of the shaft; or we might extend a pattern that was in the shaft further up. So, what you’re doing is you’re leaving the butt section of the shaft the same, where he would feel it in is his hand, and you’re going to stiffen the lower section up, so you’re ratio is going to be a little higher as far as the tip stiffness, relative to the butt stiffness, which then is going to drive your kick point a little further up the shaft.

10:36.3/21:00.3 Gotcha, now do you have pros coming to you and saying ‘hey I love the shaft, but I need you to work this out for me and change the trajectory.’

10:44.8/21:00.3 Normally what’s going on there is, our wood shafts now, everything that we’re designing, they’re 46” long, typically, and we’ve got 4” of parallel on those. So, normally what’ll happen, is when our tour representatives are working with a player, they’ll accomplish that by tipping. So, normally, we won’t do a one ff, our products that are out on tour are the same products that you can buy, from the tour shop or whatever. So, we really haven’t had to go in that direction.

11:22.9/21:00.3 Ok, excellent. Next question, or series of questions, is from Rednumbers69 What lengths do your putter shafts come in?

11:37.7/21:00.3 I guess they go as far as, do you get your putter shafts to fit into Belly length putters?

11:45.1/21:00.3 Currently, we’re offering the product in, It’s like a 35 ¾- 36” length. We are in the process

of developing some Belly length putters by extending the butt section; currently the shaft is really three sections. You’ve got the carbon butt section. You got the, in the center, then you’ve go the filter device. And then in the tip is steel. So, what we’re looking at is keeping the tip section, and the filter sections the same and increasing the length from 18” to 24”. But what we are trying to determine is do we need to stiffen that up a little bit more, or do we need to change those characteristics also for, even for longer putters? Because if the heads are getting heavier, we are tying to determine what do we need to do with this shaft?’ So, we’re developing that right now, but currently, we’re only offering the product in 36”.

12:42.9/21:00.3 When do you expect to have the Belly putters ready? The shafts for the Belly putters?

12:49.1/21:00.3 Do you know that one Randy?

12:56.6/21:00.3 No. No, not off of the top of my head. I’d say, Before the end of summer.

12:57.0/21:00.3 Yes, yeah that’s what I was going to say too, before the end of summer.

13:00.0/21:00.3 Very good. Now, next question from Rednumbers69’When will the V2 hybrid shaft be available to the public’

13:09.2/21:00.3 May 15th.It will be throughout the distribution channels.

13:17.6/21:00.3 Excellent. Next question by Rednumbers ‘What do your shafts measure on a scale? You know, like stiff 6.0, the frequency scale.

13:33.1/21:00.3 Currently, I don’t have in front of me, when he’s saying what do your shafts measure, our different products are going to measure differently. And I’m assuming when he’s talking 6.0, he’s talking Brunswick type of number. That is one that it would probably be better to come back and talk to Jamie about that, because typically what we’re doing on the engineering side at UST is we’ve got our own numbers that we’re working off of, so I don’t want to give some bad information, to how that relates to the FM number.

14:13.1/21:00.3 Ok, got it, I’ll mark that and bring it back to Jamie when he gets on board. Next question, how many options will the V2 hybrid have, stiff, regular, how many different grams, ect.

14:30.8/21:00.3 Like all UST brands, they’ll be available in 335, 355 tip and a 370 tip. I think it’s 350. sorry 350 tip and 370 tip, and the gram weight is going to be available in all flex’s L through X.

14:56.6/21: 00.3 Ok, very good. Next question by MWmilk’ When using your shafts, in bore though heads such as Titleist, Does UST recommend shafting full bore, blind bore and how does it affect the active tip section?

15:15.1/21:00.3 Ok, typically, in a titleist head or a through ore, normally you would just push the shaft all the way through, and not really work it as a blind bore product. And, again, with 4 inches of parallel, even with a Titleist head, you still have an inch to work with, if you need to tip the shaft, if you’re working with a tour player, or whatever. But yeah, it’s going to do two things, obviously, when you’re putting the shaft in three inches, it’s going to stiffen the tip up, from both a flexional stand point and from a torisional standpoint. In the case of Titleist, where they’re still using 335 tip shafts, I don’t think you’re going to see, you’re going to stiffen it up quite as much as if you had a 350 tip that you’re pushing all the way through, but I think with a Titleist, you’re really stabilizing the tip a little more. And what we have found with Titleist, with the driver is you just push it so it’s coming through, and it seems to work really really well.

16:18.4/21:00.3 Is that going to knock the flight down as well?

16:21.1/21:00.3 Typically, it will, when you’re stiffening up the tip of the shaft. It will knock the flight down a little bit.

16:28.1/21:00.3 Got it. Ok, next question fro golfyoda, Why did you decide to make the 86, 96 V2 shaft only available through UST tour shop and what are the benefits of the golfer of the shop?

16:43.5/21:00.3 OK, with the 86 and the 96, typically, the distribution with the standard products, Let’s say the 50, 60, 70 gram, those are going to be offered through all distributors and you’re going after the main portion of the market. When you’re starting to get into an 86 or a 96 type gram shaft, now you’re getting into stronger type players or people that are really looking for real high performance tour type of products. What we found, is that avenue is better to go through a tour shop, rather than doing that, just as an after market type of product.

17:35.5/21:00.3 And we can access the tour shop, different locations on your website, correct?

17:40.7/21:00.3 This is correct

17:46.0/21:00.3 And, you’re going to keep it this way? You’re going to keep these shafts going strictly to the

UST tour shops correct?

17:54.7/21:00.3 that is correct. At the moment.

17:57.3/21: 00.3 Ok, very good. Next question is from Cameron circle T, ‘We have seen many companies go through great lengths to advance technology, in the shaft. To provide, what they believe is a better shaft, i.e. the Fujikura Rombax technology, The graphoid (?)cop; NT’s use of nanotube technology, ect. Would the recent success of a somewhat less technologically advanced shaft in your V2, which doesn’t claim any technology, using big, fancy words, Do you have any insight into the benefits of the V2, for a player with a higher swing speed, over something with this technology?

18:41.5/21:00.3 Hello. This is Jamie Pipes.

18:43.5/21:00.3 Hey Jamie. I. Welcome to the party.

18:48.1/21:00.3 John you want to take over that one?

18:49.1/21:00.3 Sure. As far as we talk about nano tube type of technology, at US we’ve investigated that technology. And what we have found is that, it really; we didn’t feel that the benefit was there form a performance standpoint. What we found with the nano tube technology, that’s out there now, it may give you a little bit improved durability, but from what we’re looking at, performance, we haven’t at UST, found that. As far as Rombax technology, if we’re talking weave technology there, we’ve introduced plain weave technology with the Irod product, so we used that technology three years ago, in the Irod product. In the Irod driver shaft we are using it in the midsection, and in the hybrids we’re using it in the butt section. The V2, there is technology, obviously, in that shaft, but a lot of it’s internal, into the design. What we’re doing with the V2, we’re using thinner type materials, and we’ve done some things with hoop strength, in the shaft, and we’ve, tried to make the shaft, where there’s technology in the shaft, but we just haven’t used any, like what Cameron’s saying here. We haven’t used the big fancy words or whatever, with the products. What we developed and Jamie was a big part of this, our goal with the V2 was, we were benchmarking that against products that are out there on the market, and what we did, Jamie did a ton of player testing and we did a lot of interactions just trying to improve initial conditions. I mean, that’s what we were looking to is is to say ‘hey, what we want to do is we want a shaft that’s going to give better launch conditions and at the same time, give the guy a good feel~ part one end~

UST Audio Chat 04/02/06 Part Two

00:00.8/20:45.4 Hey Jamie. I want to bounce back to a question that was asked earlier, it’s a technical question

00:06.3/20:45.4 Ok

00:06.7/20:45.4 Do you guys measure your shafts on a frequency scale, like Brunswick6.0, 6.5. Do you have any comparison like with your stiff shaft, is your stiff shaft equal to a 6.Bruswick frequency, or close to it or?

00:23.1/20:45.4 well, we use frequency as a spec for one of our shafts and in the last few year, we’ve designed a product, it depends on what the product is first. To design a product to where it fits in the scale. Obviously, some of the HTD products or the counter balance, that’s stiffer in the butt, heavier in the butt, is not going to fit on the FM, on a precision flex scale very well. The V2 falls right in about 5.8, right in that range. For a stiff flex, yes, that’s correct. And all the flex profiles from the 55 gram to the 95 gram, the flex profile is exactly the same, so they all fall in there.

01:13.3/20:45.4 Ok very good. Next question from Cameron is ‘As for my previous question, do you foresee yourselves advancing beyond the V2, given it’s amazing success , and venturing into the nano tech. Rombax type technology in your shafts?

01:31.5/20.45.4 Sure. Obviously, We’re working on new products now. Continually working on products, trying to say ‘hey what can we do? How can we advance? Like I said, the nano tube stats, we’ve looked at it, we’re still doing some testing and so on. We don’t have anything which is saying ‘hey we’re going to launch, right now, with nano.’ We also have done several things with different types of weave technologies. So, we’re looking at that for some future types of products. But at UST we won’t launch the product until either, we have it where the product is different than something we have out already, from a performance, or it has to out perform something that we’ve already got out on the market.

02:16.3/20:45.4 Very good. Next question by Cameron is ‘Can you provide any background into the thought and engineering, that went into designing your shafts in the V2 line, given that you intended them to be very complimentary to the larger headed drivers of today? Did you do anything special, in the design process to make these shafts ideal for the larger heads? And, what separates these from other shafts, thus making them work in harmony with today’s massive heads?

02:46.2/20:45.4 Ok. This was really a pretty long process that we did. It was working with Jamie, and doing some testing through our engineering group and the guys that he tests with. What we did was we started with what we call a pro fourth classic. Then we said ‘ok. What feedback did we receive an how is that shaft performing with some of the newer heads that are out on the market. And what we found was that, we thought that product was a little bit too stiff. A little bit stiff in the hands, so we softened theV2 in the hand, We felt that we wanted to kind of optimize launch, and we softened the tip a little more, but at the same time, we drove the torque down on the product. So, the V2 is actually a lower torque product, than, I think, some of the other shafts that are out there, today, as far as from a torque to a flex relationship. And what we also found, was with the larger heads, with a little bit softer shaft, at least with the V2 products, it compliments it well, because as the MOI’s increase on some of these heads, they’re actually a little bit more stable. So, you can give the shaft a little more kick. And, what we’ve found, at least with the V2, as long as you’ve got that torque down, you haven’t lost control of the shaft.

04:16.6/20:45.4 Very good. Last question by Cameron. ‘Also, as the current owner of the V2 shaft, in both my driver and fairway wood, I find the V2’s high trajectory that is advertised, is actually the case. Would you recommend tipping it, in the driver, in order to bring down the flight?

04:37.5/20:45.4 Jamie, why don’t you answer this one?

04:40.3/20:45.4 You can do some tipping. Tipping to me , really effects more of the flex, it will help bring ball flight down slightly, but if a golfer needs to bring it down a degree, or even more than that, then from his launch, then I would suggest going up in weight.

05:09.8/20:45.4 Could you respond to that a little bit more as far as going up in weight? Let’s say he wants to bring it down a degree or two, how much should he go up in weight?

05:18:03/20:45.4 well, if somebody’s got to bring their ball flight down a degree, you can do that probably with a shaft change. But if you’re talking a couple of degrees, you know, if someone launches it around 15 and they’re trying to bring it down to 14, you’ve got to do that with loft first. You start with loft at the club head and you make sure you get the right flex, and then the tip characteristics can help fine tune the launch.

05:45.4/20:45.4 Ok, great. Jamie, since we’ve got you on board, if I can have you guys each, just give a little background information about yourself now that you’re here, Jamie, as well. Randy, Don and Jamie. We’ll start with you Randy down to Jamie, just kind of give us a little background on your history, previous to UST and your history with working at UST, that’d be great.

06:07.7/20:45.4 Ok. Golf industry background first; before UST I served as a marketing director for another golf equipment manufacturer, then after that I was a golf writer for NBC sports, then I took a 4 to 5 year hiatus from the industry and worked in oil and gas down here in Houston, and did some freelance work within the golf industry as a writer, and I got to know the folks at UST and here I am. And right now, currently, I am responsible for marketing and the PR media relations, for UST.

06:46.9/20:45.4 Thanks, Randy. Don?

06:48.0/24:45.4 I started out, I’m a degreed Mechanical Engineer, from Purdue University, and I started out with Ben Hogan Company, back in 1984, actually on the manufacturing and engineering side, I was at Hogan through 1995, and then came on board at UST, towards the end of my tenure at Hogan. And I was doing more of product development type of work. So, my experience went from more of manufacturing into design. And I’ve been at UST now, ten years responsible for product development and OEM sales, and what I found was the club background really helped a lot, as far as the shaft aspect, understanding the golf club, just in general.

07:39.8/20:45.4 Very good. And Jamie?

07:42.3/20:45.4 I’ve been in some part of the golf industry ever since college. From playing on mini-tours, I worked, started out working with the Hogan company in 1989, and worked on the Hogan tour, and traveled around with it and did club repair and fittings for all the pros on that tour for about two years, little over two years. And from there, when it sold to Nike, I went to work as a club professional, around the Dallas/ ft. worth area. And worked for about nine years at different clubs, no, seven years. And then in 2000, went to work for UST.

08:24.9/20:45.4 Very good. Jamie, since you’ve identified yourself as a good player, curious as to what’s in your bag, obviously, you’ve got UST shafts, If you could, walk us through your bag, and also let us know what shafts you got, and if you’ve done anything special, tipping wise, or anything special to your clubs, if you’re high ball hitter or low ball hitter. We’d like to get that information.

08:54.7/20:45.4 Well, I’m an old Hogan boy, so I play Hogan Apex Edge Pro Irons. Proforce ’95, RV2 stiff neck irons, iron shafts, I’ve got a Sonartec 5 wood with a V285 in it. And I’ve got an Exotic 3 wood with a I-rod in it. And I’ve got a Titleist 983k with a V265 in it.

09:24.5/20:45.4 Very good. Hey Don, how about yourself? Are you a very good golfer? Or up and coming very good golfer?

09:30.0/20:45.4 I am pretty much never been a real serious golfer, I love the game, I probably play, my guess is about a 12 handicap, something like that. I’m actually playing RV2, also, but I’m playing RV2 75 gram, instead of 95 gram. And I’m playing them in some Callaway fusion irons. And then in my driver right now, I’m actually playing an Ignite I’ve got a V2 65, in the X-flex, just straight in. And then I’m carrying, actually, currently, I’m carrying two hybrids. And I’ve got a 19 degree, Taylor made Rescue, and then I’m carrying a 17 degree TM

10:27.5/20:45.4 I’ve got to twist Dons’ arm to get him out to go hit golf.

10:29.9/20:45.4 Randy, we’re not going to leave you alone. What about yourself? What are you playing with?

10:34.6/20:45.4 Oh, it’s easier to say what I’m not playing, than what I am playing. Play golf is the last bullet point in my job description. I get out quite often, but, in my bag I’ve got the RV2’s in my iron’s, 115, I like a little heavier weight in my irons as well as my wedges. I play the frequency filter putter shafts in my 2 ball. I go back and forth to the 2 ball and my Cameron, obviously. And, I play the 735 iron Vokey wedges. I also have a hybrid. I’m playing the V2 hybrid in the 85grams, and I’ve got that tipped two inches. I’m playing a Titleist 905T driver at the moment, with the V2 65 grams. And two Sonartech 3 woods, one with an accra shaftand one with a V2.

11:33.7/20:45.4 Hey guys, I want to divert for a second and ask Joe, are you there?

11:38.1/20:45.4 Yes. I’m here.

11:38.9/20:45.4 Ok. Joe, could you give us your update, that you shared with us earlier, about your visit with

the Stanford players, what their response was to try the shafts out?

11:51.2/20:45.4 Well, it wasn’t extensive enough. I didn’t bring enough shafts at that time over there, we were just testing some new clubs. So, they were looking at all the stuff from Callaway that they were sending to us. And the V2 hybrid, I put it on the 19 and 20 degree, and they were hitting that one and giving some feedback. The feedback from them is that, the ball flight is pretty true. It’s hard to turn it left. This stiff flex on that V2 on Callaway bore through head of course it plays a little stiffer. They were telling me that the feel of the V2 hybrid, compared to the wood shaft, the V2 hybrid is a little boardier than the V2 woods.

12:49.6/20:45.4 So, it plays very tight, is what you’re saying?

12:52.5/20:45.4 Yes, very tight.

12:53.8/20:45.4 Well, that makes sense, as low as the torque is, I mean, and the only V2 that they’ve probably tested is the tour models.

13:01.3/20:45.4 Yeah, were those 370 tip then, in those products?

13:05.4/20:45.4 Yes. 370, let me see here, the hybrid on the Callaway is a 350 tip. So, what I did on that

one, was I just ran it on the dremmel. Basically just paper tip it up a little bit, you know, on the higher side, to make it a little bigger. And then when I shaped it up a little with the sander, so I could just basically, like a 355 tip.

13:35.4/20:45.4 Thanks for the report Joe.

13:35.9/20:45.4 So, that could be part of the reason, you made the comment ‘it felt a little ‘boardier’. Because you know, the drivers are typically going to be, obviously, going to be a 335 or a 350, you move into a 370 plus we’re a heavier product driving the torque down.

13:49.9/20:45.4 Well, especially if they were hitting it against the stock.

13:52.9/20:45.4 Yeah.

13:53.0/20:45.4 of Callaway shaft.

13:53.6/20:45.4 Well, yeah. It’s totally different, yeah.

13:54.9/20:45.4 because it’s a 350 tip, so

13:57.1/20:45.4 Yeah, it’s 350 tip, and also, it’s totally different kind of weight shaft, you know, also though.

14:01.8/20:45.4 The main, the response we’ve gotten from tour players, is the I-rod, with the weave, in the butt end, is it’s pretty firm feeling, and it’s very stable. And the V2 hybrid feels a little smoother, and what they asked for out there was something that launched it high and didn’t create a lot of spin, so

14:23.9/20:45.4 yeah, I didn’t see any ballooning ball at all, with that hybrid Callaway.

14:30.5/20:45.4 that’s exciting. Ok, guys, we’ll get back to the questions. Matt Titleist has a question, ‘With regards to the tour players using V2 shafts and bore through clubs, like Titleist drivers and fairways, how far are those players inserting their TX flex shafts, in the heads? I would assume it wouldn’t be full bore, in a bore through driver, but maybe full bore in a fairway bore through, or maybe even tipped a half inch or so. I know we somewhat visited this, we didn’t ask specifically about tour players, but are tour players also going full bore? As far as you know?

15:05.4/20:45.4 Go ahead and answer this one Jamie.

15:07.1/20:45.4 Ok. Well, our reps on tour, Jim McIntosh, and Stacey they work really close with the club reps from the different companies. And most of the tour players are not using the TX. The tour x. They’re starting with an x flex and, like I say, in a Titleist, they’ll put it all the way through. And then the tipping on the 3wood is really fine tuned to the player. Most the time, Tosh and Stacey, will start out with the shaft, just using standard tipping, which on a 3wood we recommend one inch. And sometimes, they’ll even start at half an inch and go from there, and just fine tune it to the player. Just by standing there and watching their ball flight.

15:56.5/20:45.4 But they will, but Jamie, they will put it through. All the way through?

16:00.0/20:45.4 Yes. In the Titleist and the bore through heads. Now, I have seen some players that will back it out and not put it all the way through. But, like I say, there’s a lot of, it’s a lot of fine tuning for that particular player. So, it really depends on the player.

16:17.2/20:45.4 what would the, what’s the benefit of not putting it all the way though in a fairway wood? Does it kick it up a little higher, or?

16:23.7/20:45.4 Well, I’ve seen that more in a driver. Backing it out of a Titleist driver or a Callaway driver. Fairways, most of them you only have an inch and a half to work with. So, they’re going to put the shaft all the way in, an inch and a half.

16:37.6/20:45.4 Gotcha.

16:39.0/20:45.4 one thing we did with the V2, and kind of mentioning it here and Jamie

briefly mentioned it , specially with the tour players to kind of help our reps out there, is, in the past we had an S-Flex and then we went to an X, now what we’ve done is we have an S, and X and then a tour- X. So, what we’ve done is we’ve given a little more, the ability to fine tune even a little bit more. By adding an intermediate, kind of an intermediate flex in there, because what we’ve found, now again this is , I’m talking drivers now, is that the X-flex, the tours are finding that’s enough shaft, in the V2, and they find that they don’t have to go to a tour-X.

17:25.2/20:45.4 Got it. Here’s a question that was posted. It’s a newer question, from Golf Yoda ‘For the guy who’s never played graphite in his irons, because he still thinks steel is better, what would you say to him to get him to try you graphite iron shaft? You guys are playing the graphite iron shafts, what d you, what’s our personal experience?

17:45.6/20:45.4 Well, I would interview him, and get to know his game a little bit, and see what the reasons, were he interested in trying out for graphite’s. If he has maybe some wrist and elbow problems, but he would still prefer the weight of steel, then I would suggest the 115.If he’s looking to switch to graphite you know, because, he maybe needed to add a little distance, to pick up a club or a half a club of distance, and wants a little higher ball flight, then we might look at the RV295. So, you got to fit the golfer there for that. And sort of find out what they’re looking for.

18:32.5/20:45.4 Ok. Makes sense. Next question, from Stickman, ‘Can you please discuss the shaft lag in the V2, what kind of swings players’ would the lag from the V2 help?’

18:45.8/20:45.4 Want me to take that one again?

18:46.9/20:45.4 Yeah.

18:48.1/20:45.4 I think, yeah, I’m trying to understand what he’s saying here too. The shaft lag in a V2. I guess he’s referring to more of the flex of the shaft ‘what kind of swings players would the lag from the V2 help?’ I guess it’s, I guess what he might be saying ‘Is the shaft better for a hitter or a swinger, for an easier swinger or for a harder swinger. Does this shaft accommodate every type of swing? I know you’ve got a range of different shaft flexes; can you fit the shaft into any type of swing? Or is this really a shaft that, is the V2 really a shaft that’s taylor made for a harder swinger?

19:33.8/20:45.4 No. Not necessarily. I mean, if the shaft is lagging on a particular golfer well then, depending on his swing sped or ball sped, that could be ok, if his swing speed is up over 100 miles an hour and he can feel the shaft lag, then I don’t think the shaft is keeping up with the golfer. And he might need to firm it up, either by tipping it an inch r going up a flight. If the shaft is lagging for a little slower swing speed, you know, dropping down into the 90’s and 85’s, a little lag in the shaft may help that golfer. You know, if he slows down and the shaft lags and then the shaft kicks

20:21.7/20:45.4 So, basically, you’ve got enough flexes to for any swing.

20:26.6/20:45.4 Yeah, from the 55 to the 95, we tried to develop them to where they will fit, a lot of type, a wide range of golfers. And the ball flight kind of adjusts so…But my first thought on the shaft lagging is, the shafts to soft or that type of golfer, but it depends there’s a lot of other ~ part two audio end~

Golf WRX UST chat 04/02/06 Part Three

00:01.2/31:38.7 Very good. Next question from GJones77. ‘My question is this, with regards to the technologies out there, what directions do you see shaft technologies going? And how can these technologies improve the game?’

00:17.9 Ok. You want to answer this Jamie, or you want me to?

00:22.3 I’ll let you take that one.

00:24.4 Ok. Technologies that are out there, with carbon fiber, the beauty of carbon fiber is being able to make a product that’s lighter in weight, what we’ve been doing at UST is saying ‘hey how can we make shafts that are lighter in weight but that doesn’t feel lighter in dynamic standpoint? Dynamically, obviously, you never can overcome. But, the shaft is always going to be lighter, statically. One of the products that we did, it was, no too long go. I guess it was a year ago we introduced the product we called ‘low carb’. And that product was a very light weight product. But dynamically, it didn’t feel light. We did some things with technology there to say ‘hey, can you make the shaft lighter; it’s not going to go out of round, when you’re swinging it. It’s not going to just feel strange, strange in your hand. S, that’s one area. The other thing is your flex and your torque. People talk about ‘hey I’ve got an S-flex shaft, but you can, as you’ve probably read or seen and that, just because the shaft has the same butt frequency, doesn’t mean they are going to perform the same. So, you actually have that flexural profile that you’re looking at, you know, softer tip, stiffer tip, and the same thing is true for torque. You can take the torque of the product and have a touisional profile on the shaft, or maybe the tip section, you’ve tried to tighten that up torisionally, but it’s not maybe quite as tight in the butt, so there’s an infinite number of combinations that you can do from the design point, and as materials are improving, I think that what we’re seeing is that we can cater more to those as materials get more consistent. The other thing is just keep improving our tolerances, so if you purchase a product, and if you go out and purchase another one, you’re going to have as close to the same product as you had before.

02:23.3 Awesome. You guys are throwing so much incredible information at us. His, the second part of the question is, ‘In layman’s terms, how is this really going to help the average golfer?

02:35.9 Jamie, what I would do, Jamie you address this as far as, what you see, what you do when you fit. You know, from what you find in a weight/flex standpoint and what you think from these technologies are important.

02:50.3 Well, definitely the trend in the marketplace is has been to go lighter and lighter. Trying to make the shafts and the manufacturers clubs as light as possible. And when, the trick is, like Don was saying , to make a shaft that still performs and doesn’t feel too light and too whippy or too soft. So, and going through and fitting golfers, what I, as a general rule, I would try to put the golfer in the lightest shaft possible, that they can still control, and the same thing goes for flex. And depending on what the golfer tells me, from a feel standpoint, if he can go with a light shaft, then that’s where I’ll go with him. Every now and then, the reverse happens. Where the golfer, they start losing ball speed, they start losing control, then with that golfer, you go back up in weight. So, that they can feel the club at the top of their swing, and they know where their club’s at, then they can deliver it back to impact.

04:10.2 Ok. Very good.

04:10.8 So, to me, I think to summarize, right now with carbon fiber and graphite shafts, I would say weight is probably one of the key technologies, and like I said, I think we’ve seen that and everyone has seen that as far as the weights, even on tour. It seemed the trend went down, down, down.

04:28.9 Now I want to bounce back, because Cameron asked a question online, In response to bringing the flight down and he mentioned about making the head heavier. And his question is ‘ So basically, they’ve made it a lower balance point shaft, to make the head feel heavier? Is that what he means?’

04:51.1 Well, my suggestion was to go with a heavier shaft, to bring the ball flight down.

04:56.3 Ok. Does that make the head fee heavier or how’s that change dynamics?

05:00.4 No. Dynamically, I think it’s, well, statically the overall weight is heavier. And dynamically, it’s typically a heavier shaft, it does help bring ball flight down, to some degree. And once again, that depends on the golfer. There’s a lot of generalizations, you know, in talking over the phone and trying to fit somebody.

05:33.2 Yeah there’s a lot of factor come in play, right Jamie?

05:35.2 Sure. Yeah, there’s, and a lot of it’s from the golfers. Their angle attack, you know, their hands come

into impact, their ball position, several factors. Their load, their load n the shaft, their tempo. So, it’s difficult to do over the phone, all I can really do is make suggestions over the phone, for somebody to look at a shaft, and maybe give it a try.

06:01.9 Sure, We appreciate all the help. Next question could take you a half hour to answer, but maybe sum out a few shafts. This question is ‘Could you categorize each of your main shafts, with their launch characteristics, seems the weights of the shafts usually affect the flight of the ball, and the torque numbers go up ,as well. You want to just take a few of your shafts and kind of comment on those?

06:28.9 Well, we can kind of go down the different brands:

The HDT product, with the counter balance technology, does tend to launch the ball higher. Because basically, we’ve added, there’s more weight in the butt end. It’s firmer, and the tip end is more flexible. So, the flex point on that shaft would be a lower flex point, for a higher ball flight.

06:56.5 Sorry to interrupt, how’s the torque on the HDT?

07:00.5 The tour models?

07:02.2 Yeah, the tour models, is that

07:06.3 They still create a little higher launch. Now in the HDT line, we have products that end in zero a 60, a 70 and a 90, that are a little firmer in the tip. So, they create a little, you know, bring the ball flight down just a little bit. The ones that end in five, have the most flexible tip., the 65 and the 85.

07:28.7 Typically, those products are all three, five, lower torque. And it still holds a lighter shaft, which would be, in general, would launch the ball a little higher. The 60 gram model would launch the ball higher than the 90 gram model. And then, the Proforce, we’ve kind of talked about what we’ve don with the V2, to help make it launch a little bit higher, than the purple and gold. So, it’s more of a medium to high launch shaft. And there again, the weights help with launch, as you go down through there, down through that product line. The I-rod line, the utility model is a little firmer in the tip, and does launch a little bit lower, we designed it to compliment heads that do launch high already. The long iron model is totally the opposite. It’s more flexible in the tip, designer for a long iron, so it launches it higher. And the fairway is kind of right in the middle. So, that fast enough?

08:43.5 Absolutely

08:44.5 What about the low carb?

08:46.1 The low carb is a very high launch shaft, it’s got a nice flexible tip and obviously, it’s very light weight at 50 grams, so

08:57.3 The thing about the low carb is that what we tried to do is achieve a light weight product that felt stable, in the hands dynamically but also has a relatively low torque. We’re under four degrees on a shaft that’s 50 grams. So, I think what you’ll find out there is that a better player, if he can get over the weight aspect of it, he’ll have very good control with that product.

09:28.2 Gotcha. I know you probably answered this question, in various ways, I’ll ask it, this is by Yogi. ‘I would like to know what qualities UST shafts have that make them superior to competitor’s golf shafts.

09:45.3 Ok. Well, the material that we use in our shafts, it’s the best material in the world, as far as carbon fiber and the prekreg(?) they were all using the sources that we used for that material. The one thing that we do, we are very very diligent on the design side, like I said, making sure the product performs, we also have found that our return rate for breakage, is basically zero. our return rate is less than 3/10 of 1%/. So, we do all our homework up front on our designs, we don’t release anything out to the market that we’re going to have any problems n the durability side, the other thing that we’ve done on our products now, is we’ve really started to tighten up on all our tolerances, whether that’s frequency of the product, weight of the product, so what we’re trying to do is trying to say ‘hey or products are going to be very consistent and you’re not going to have any problem as far as durability and they’re going to perform.

10:56.6 Yeah, we hope that club makers across the country and around the world appreciate that. And I think they do. They know, they trust that when they get a UST shaft in, they know it’s going to be the right flex, or the same flex they’ve been using from UST shafts, in the past.

11:16.2 Gotcha. Now you guys came out with the Proforce, a lot of people refer to it as the Laker shaft, with the colors. And, next question is, ‘Do you think, what is your whole marketing plan with colors? Do you think that there’s a certain portion of people to buy based on the looks, as opposed to the actual performance and do you think shaft graphics are going to go crazy within the next couple of years?’

11:45.7 From a marketing standpoint, certainly when you see a Proforce V2 and you see it on TV or on tour, it certainly is recognized. First and foremost, and yes, there is shelf appeal. In that regard, and in consumers awareness of the product and of the brand itself. So, yes, there is some thought given to that aspect of our marketing program.

12:15.2 Next question by Tyler621. ‘ I currently play the I-rod, and the halo 3 iron, what differences could I expect to see between the I-rod hybrid shaft, and the 2 hybrid? Also, any idea of the possible release dates for the retail version would be greatly appreciated.

12:35.0 you want to answer this one Jamie?

12:36.4 Yeah, we eluded to this but the V2 hybrid was definitely designed to launch a little higher. And we talked about the tip stiffness in the I-rod product, the utility model ts, so just consistency from part to part. Cause there’s a lot of good shafts out there now was designed to compliment heads that are launching higher, so the tip of that’s a little firmer, and with the V2 that we’ve been taking on tour, all the tour reps and all the hybrid guys on tour are asking for something that would launch it higher and still kept the spin down. So, that’s what that type of product is. And, I think the V2 for retail should be available May 15th.

13:32.4 No problem.

13:28.2 Yeah, one quick story just on the I-rod, cause you know, that takes us back a couple of years, and what we were looking for t that time in a hybrid, the hybrid shaft was, as guys were going to the drivers, just trying to crush the ball, distance, distance, distance, going to lower spin golf balls, and people, and players were starting to go into hybrid type products, what we did with the I-rod was made it where it was relatively soft in the hands, but using the weave technology, it didn’t feel soft in the hands, ok, when you’d measure it, put it on a flex board or whatever, it may register a little bit softer, but you didn’t get that feel, and then as Jamie was saying, we stiffened up our tip, and our concept there was, a player with a hybrid was doing more of a descending blow, so what we wanted to do was bring the shaft bring the head in to the impact zone as stable as possible, and then let the head basically launch the ball up into the air. Ok? So, that was kind of the original thing in our end. As hybrids have evolved now a little bit more and we’ve gotten more feedback, we tried to take what we learned there and make those changes into the V2 product to fit and to cater to what’s required now. Which is a little bit higher launch and no spin, even in the hybrids.

14:50.6 Well, we’re certainly excited here, about getting our hands on that V2 hybrid.

Next question, by Imagolfer ‘Is there any difference between the V286 that are in the bags of the tour pros that are in the retail line?

15:04.2 No difference.

15:05.4 UST what we’ve done, the products that are on tour are the same products that we sell into the market. That’s one thing that UST has done from the beginning, now what we’re doing, if we have a product out on tour, you know you talked about it a little bit earlier, let’s say we have a special type of shaft and we’re trying something new, once we find that that’s working, then we’ll sell that product through the tour shop. So, we’re trying to make all the products that are out there available to the consumer, and they are the exact same products.

15:38.3 Very good. Another question by Imagolfer. ‘ With the pros access to $300, $400, $500 shafts, why do you believe so many are putting the V2 in play? I understand that the price is meaningless, if it doesn’t fit and perform for the golfer, but why is the V2 fitting performing as well as these higher priced shafts?

16:02.6 You want me to take this or who wants to answer this one?

16:05.7 I’ll answer it, from the beginning the Proforce brand was positioned to appeal to all golfers, and at a relatively lower price point. And from a performance standpoint and the materials that are used in the Proforce brand continued with the V2, it’s going to meet your expectations. And in terms of the build of the V2, we’ve talked a little bit about that, but Don, if you want to add anything to that.

16:33.2 Well, the one thing is, you can’t, at least at UST the way that we’ve taken it is we want to take the product, and we want to make the product as affordable as possible to the consumer, so, I don’t think you really can equate price to quality and value of a product. The other thing is our designers are becoming better and better and better at what I’m calling optimizing materials. So, what they can do is maybe take some materials that are out there, and actually optimize them at a little bit lower cost and still get the performance out there. We do so much testing and when we’re doing a development of a product, and even with V2, we really didn’t say ‘hey, we’re trying to hit this certain target from a pricing standpoint. Our objective was just to make a shaft that really performed, and like Randy was saying, could be sold to the masses.

17:34.0 Very good.

17:34.4 Can I add one thing too?

17:36.0 Please

17:36.1 I see it everyday from a performance and technology standpoint. It works. I just got back from a tournament in Stevenson, California, and there was a team of young college kids and I watched them hit it on the launch monitor and, it worked.

18:03.0 It doesn’t matter what it costs. A lot of us down here are club junkies and shaft junkies. We just want something that works, we don’t care. The pricing is kind of insignificant to us. So, that’s good to hear.

18:15.2 I think, though, like you’re saying, the perception is that hey if it’s more expensive, then it has to be better, and I just think that you‘ve really got to evaluate the product on it’s own.

18:28.8 Gotcha. Great point. Next question, by Hoganapex ‘ When I go to a PGA event, I hang out on the practice tee, I often see a rep bring a player a handful of drivers, I know players find differences in heads and I imagine n shafts too. Often, even when the gauges say they are identical, how many players sometimes want the same model shaft and head but ask for 4 or 5 or more to find the feel that they are looking for? And would you care to name those who are really hard to please or finicky?

19:05.1 Come on guy. Give it up.

19:07.5 Most of the time, on tour, players have contracts with club companies. And this is from the shaft perspective. And what they’ll do is, the company wants them to play their driver. So, the variable is the shaft. So, the company’s reps will bring them four or five drivers, with different shafts, based on what the players played in the past or what he’s looking to do try to do with his ball flight. And that’s where our reps try to help the manufacturer’s rep, all we can, with recommending a shaft that might fit a certain type of player. And that’s really the kind of way that it works.

19:54.9 And in terms of quality some players may take one shaft to get it right or it may take three or four. That right Jamie?

20:04.1 Yeah, there’s a lot of fine tuning that goes on, and depending on the feedback from the player whether he likes to feel the shaft, the ball flight may be just a little off or they say what can we do to this one to fine tune it? And they’ll do that. But the ball really gets rolling when a club company comes out with a new driver. They try to get all of their players to switch and then they got to go though the whole scenario of trying new drivers, even to the point of testing new golf balls. Depends on what they’re testing.

20:47.7 One thing on this question here, where he’s kind of talking about four or five, bringing four or five that are the exact same shaft, and exact same head, one thing that one of the guys I worked with at Hogan had said one time is that every club is a snowflake and no matter what you do, there’s going to be some subtle differences. Even the product, the way they are put together, your glue bond, just there’s so many variables involved. So, I think what happens is, these pros have such a feel, that what’ll happen is, they’ll want to try, and lot of times, they’ll bring them four or five because they want to have the product they are going to want to play at the event. And obviously, they want to have a backup. In case something happens to that product while they’re out there. So, I think what they’re trying to do is say hey if I can get a few ore clubs billed, I can try to find two that are as close as possible, even all five are probably going to be very very close.

21:39.9 You can’t fool them. I men, their feel is so fine tuned, you can’t fool them. They can tell the difference in 3 or 4 cycles in the butt end or half a swing weight point or so. Or even a half a wrap of tape under the grip.

22.:07.4 Yeah. Yeah it makes sense. a lot of us here can relate to that. Next question. ‘Are UST shafts pre spine aligned or preflowed before the graphics are painted on or do you feel that the shafts are consistent enough that they will perform well, no matter what the orientation of the shaft is?

22:29.4 Well, when we are developing our products, first thing we try to do is we try to make the design as balanced as possible. So, if you’re in a zero degree of a ninety degree plain you’re going to have very little differences as far as a frequency standpoint. So, what we do, we try to find a stable plain on the shaft, or the most stable and then use that for graphics orientation using the, we’ve done that with the SST process as far as, trying to find the spine. What we do is say hey, it’s kind of like balancing the tires on your car a little bit. The products are becoming more and more consistent because materials are getting more consistent all the time and the processing is getting more consistent, but you feel that hey if you can just take that extra step, it can’t really hurt anything.

23:29.3 Sure. Next question by Dale Fuller, ‘ When looking for better distance, is it better to go with less torque and softer flex, or more torque and stiffer flex?’

23:42.6 The first option would be more flex and lower torque. Flex is going to be your first key into getting

more distance. If you get the flex right, you are ore than likely going to maximize your distance. And then, torque is going to be related to what weight you wind up into, in general, again.

24:11.0 Ok. Very good. It’s a little bit after 8:00, I don’t know if we can continue. I have no problem. Are you guy still good here or? I’m going to keep going until somebody tells me to, we’re almost done here. I’m going to do my best to wrap this up as quickly as possible. This is by league38, ‘ What has UST done from a design standpoint, to provide a shaft with lower spin rates

24:41.0 you want to answer this one Jamie or you want me to?

24:42.5 Well, yeah, the V2 is definitely our product in our line, that helps reduce spin rate, manly due to the lower torque factor of the shafts. In fitting people, I mean, lower spin rates are not always ideal for most people. You have a certain range. If your ball speed is in a certain range, you need a certain spin rate. Backspin on a golf ball is a good thing to keep it in the air. So, I would be leery of going to low. Guys with a 160 mile an hour ball spin can afford certain spin rates of 25 to 2700 RPMs. Now I that ball speed comes down, then that spin rate has got to go up.

25:35.0 Ok. Next question, by happyman, ‘ Why have the manufacturers gone away from the traditional 335 diameter shafts to 370 for the hybrids?

25:50.6 Want me to answer this one?

25:52.2 yeah.

25:53.3 I think what’s happened is the hybrids are typically an extension of iron shafts, have been fitting in where maybe a guy pulls his two iron or three iron out, so I think what’s happened there is those products in the past were 370 tip or 355 tapers, so they went with that tip diameter with the hybrids. The second thing is , is that again, just for more stability, with the hybrid, where you can lower the CG of the product, a little bit more and let the head launch the ball up more, you can go up little bit more stable tip, which would be a 370 product.

26:35.0 Next question is a little more, you guys may have to pull out your hat on this one this is from king6 ‘ Where do you see the shaft evolution in 20 years from now? To what extent will it improve the game for the pros and the game for the amateurs?’

26:53.2 I saw this one and I

26:55.1 He wanted to say 20 months, instead of 20 years.

27:00.1 We’re looking for the next material, we call Byzantium, but we haven’t found it yet.

27:06.0 you know the thing is, I think, shafts is going to be interesting, especially when we talk drivers, because of what’s happened with the limits now, with MOI, and the COR on the heads. That now you’ve got the shafts, so I think what we’re going to find is different combinations and that could even be weights, like I said earlier, torisional profile, and flex profiles. It could just be some real strange combinations. That may help there, but 20 years from now, I’m sure there will be some new materials, by then that’ll come in for shafts.

27:49.6 Gotcha. And speaking of the head limitations, had asked is there anything in the wind, regarding UST to clamp down on the shaft technology? Are they talking about that at all?

28:06.4 Well, they already have some pretty set rules on shafts. And the newest one being length of the club. And in the past, the rule on symmetry, the shaft has got to be symmetrical, flex and all. All directions. Flex the same in all directions. I haven’t heard or I don’t think they’ll come up with anything new, in the near future, that’ll restrict them.

28:47.7 Ok. Ok Sounds good. Gentleman, that pretty much wraps up all of the questions I have. Joe, anybody else, any closing comments? Otherwise, I will move on to the questions and the prizes. You guys are responsible for picking the winners of who asked the best questions. I don’t know if you guys had a chance to talk about that or f you want to do that later and give us a call.

29:14.5 I probably have one question.

29:16.2 Ok.

29:16.7 Is the hybrid V2 all product is going to be retail, or some of them is going to be tour shop only?

29:25.0 Both. The tour models will definitely have lower torque.

29:31.1 So, the heavier version is going to be tour shop only, right?

29:34.3 Yes.

29:39.0 Ok. Good question. Alright gentleman, we appreciate your efforts and your sacrificing your time. Golf works was proud to have Randy Stuart, director of sales and marketing, Don Rahrig, vice president of engineering and Jamie Pipes, manager of product testing and field research, for UST golfshafts.com. Gentlemen, again thank you, and at this time are you in a position to announce the top three questions you think were the best?

30:10.2 Well, we discussed earlier, the top question , the V2 hybrid which everyone wants to know, would go to Cameron circle T.

30:21.8 Ok Got it. And second question?

30:29.4 Don, Jamie? You guys got any

30:34.7let me think here. I thought pitchmaster

30:44.4 Ok.

30:45.8 Which one was pitchmasters’ question Randy?

30:48.4 The how many tour pros and gave us the segway into the interlink carbon fiber.

30:57.0 Ok. Great. And last, third best question?

30:59.4 stickman, talking about the shaft lag.

31:02.1 Ok. Fantastic. Gentleman, thanks for your time and for your sacrifice. This has been extremely

enlightening. You gave us a ton of great information. I’m going to have to sit down and read through this, I can’t wait to read through it. You just threw so much information at us, it’s difficult to digest it all, but it’s definitely a huge learning curb here today, we appreciate your time again, and we bid you guys, good luck with the sales of your shafts, I know that this is going to spark a tremendous amount of interest here, I’m ready to buy. ~audio part three end~

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk