Hooter's Tour

collegiate-pursuit

Playing in first tournament as a professional
Hey guys, at the end of August I am playing in my first professional tournament. The Hooter's Tour is coming to Dothan, AL Aug 31-Sept 6th. I am going to be playing the Monday Qualifier in hopes to enter the tournament the week of. Being a +5.1 hdcp and consistently practicing 7-9 hours a day, I think my chances are good to at least get in the field. Does anyone have any good advice/information regarding what to expect once/if I get in the field tueday-sunday? I researched last years winning number at the same course (-17) and believe I have a shot at posting a number close to that, all things going well of course. I've been playing amateur touranments all year to prepare myself for the feelings of real tournament play. (I'm 23 and haven't played tournament golf since h.s. Fraternity life and college girls will do that to you I guess).
Anyway, Thanks for any help ya'll can give. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable people on here that have good things to say.
On a side note as far as preparation. I'm going to go play practice rounds 3-5 times leading up to the monday of, getting a guage on the greens, distances, safe play,s pin loc, etc etc. Thanks again.

Almost forgot. Are traditional metal spikes ok in this Tour's play? Range finders w/o slope as most USGA events are?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont really have any advice but DAMN +5.1
that's crazy lol

good luck and id wear soft spikes just to be on the safe side.

Titleist 913 D2 9.5 - RIP 60X
Titleist 909F 13* - V2 75S
Titleist 909H 21* - V2 90S
Nike VR Pro Combo 4-pw - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM5 50* 54* 58* - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5 - 34"

You can over prepare. I'd work on your short game and take an attitude that you have nothing to lose. I'm not saying don't care but putting too much stress on yourself won't help. I'd wear softspikes if I were you. Biggest key is not to get ahead of yourself. You can obviously play and you know that. From what I remember 71-75 got you into most events depending on course.

Thanks for the advice guys. And, yes the tournament is in Dothan, AL at The Highlands (Robert Trent Jones). I have been working on my putter/shortgame. I practice this I would say about 70 percent of the time. Mostly rolling downhill putts to get somewhat used to the speeds I expect to be playing. The course is 7500+/- yds which plays to my advantage as well. Thanks also for the good luck comments. Everything going smoothly, we should be in good shape. Maybe I'll start keeping some sort of a journal on here as I progress through the stages of professional golf.

Thanks again.

[quote name='philfan316' post='1845973' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:48 PM']There's golf and tournament golf, and the two aren't very much alike. ~Bobby Jones~

Other than that, good luck to you.[/quote]

+1

I was playing to a +3.3 when I tried to make it on the Hooters Tour with very little success. A tournament here and there isn't going to do it for you. You will need the backing and bank roll to play a couple of full seasons to get into the groove of the daily grind. And those guys are really, really good. You have a few PGA Tour vets and whatnot out there. Tons of tournament experience and the game to go with it. If at first you don't succeed you need to stick it out. Hope whoever is sponsoring you is willing to stick it out with you. The fees to enter the tournaments are quite high, high enough that you need to finish top 10 just to break even most of the time. I've played with and known many regulars on the Hooters/Nationwide tours. Everyone is in agreement that the Hooters tour is basically legalized gambling.

[quote name='collegiate-pursuit' post='1125144' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:55 PM']I definitely understand where you are coming from. [b]I play to about a 4 handicap but I'm always looking to improve my game. Sometimes the perfectionist in me can be a detriment.[/b] The reasoning for the length is from a lesson I had with Bill Buttner (former PGA Tour player). Since we're about the same height, forming a new swing was made easier. He has been working on me having a more upright stance and a swing that is less arms and more fluid core body movements. Basically, he's trying to simplify my swing to gain consistency. The upright swing has helped my body rotation and reduced a lot of unnecessary movements in my swing. I think the clubs are right; its just hard switching from my high school Ping Eye II's that had TT Lite shafts and were 1/2 in long and 1.5 degrees upright. Thanks though![/quote]

I'm extremely curious what kinda practice routine took you from a 4 handicap to a +5.1 in a years time?

[quote name='littlepingman' post='1846039' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:10 PM'][quote name='collegiate-pursuit' post='1125144' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:55 PM']I definitely understand where you are coming from. [b]I play to about a 4 handicap but I'm always looking to improve my game. Sometimes the perfectionist in me can be a detriment.[/b] The reasoning for the length is from a lesson I had with Bill Buttner (former PGA Tour player). Since we're about the same height, forming a new swing was made easier. He has been working on me having a more upright stance and a swing that is less arms and more fluid core body movements. Basically, he's trying to simplify my swing to gain consistency. The upright swing has helped my body rotation and reduced a lot of unnecessary movements in my swing. I think the clubs are right; its just hard switching from my high school Ping Eye II's that had TT Lite shafts and were 1/2 in long and 1.5 degrees upright. Thanks though![/quote]

I'm extremely curious what kinda practice routine took you from a 4 handicap to a +5.1 in a years time?
[/quote]

HA...good find ! I believe it when I see a GHIN Index...

[quote name='littlepingman' post='1846039' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:10 PM'][quote name='collegiate-pursuit' post='1125144' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:55 PM']I definitely understand where you are coming from. [b]I play to about a 4 handicap but I'm always looking to improve my game. Sometimes the perfectionist in me can be a detriment.[/b] The reasoning for the length is from a lesson I had with Bill Buttner (former PGA Tour player). Since we're about the same height, forming a new swing was made easier. He has been working on me having a more upright stance and a swing that is less arms and more fluid core body movements. Basically, he's trying to simplify my swing to gain consistency. The upright swing has helped my body rotation and reduced a lot of unnecessary movements in my swing. I think the clubs are right; its just hard switching from my high school Ping Eye II's that had TT Lite shafts and were 1/2 in long and 1.5 degrees upright. Thanks though![/quote]

[/quote]
Alright, so are we being hookwinked here, or is it possible he meant to say he was a +4 in the above post?

LOL if that is true that he was a 4 handicap a year ago then, yeh maybe he is playing in the monday qualifier, but the only reason he started this thread is because he wanted to let everyone know! What shall I expect he asks!? Umm....A golf course, a golf ball and a few clubs plus some top pros around you. From your monthly medal to a pro tournament......its just the same....your in a tournament....except your hitting prov1's on the range instead of pinnacles and the players around you are some of the best in your country. Golf is golf.

If you are off +5.1 then good luck to you, and you have as good a handicap as Mcilroy, Charles Howell, Tiger Woods did when they turned pro.

I must say I doubt that a +5 (who hasn't played in any tournaments since HS) will just decide to qualify for a Hooter's Tournament. At 23, and a +5, you certainly would be wasting a great gift in not playing any USGA events (pro and Am), college events etc. Heck, you probably are good enough to win your State Am, or State Open even. An easy way to prove the handicap issue is seeing your GHIN.
Not that I would lose sleep over it.
If you are truly a +5, get out there and play as many tournaments as you can. A very good friend of mine is a +2, and won the State Amatuer Player of the Year last year (MASS). If he can win at a +2, imagine what you could do with a +5.

[quote name='Swingtheclub ' post='1846323' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:52 PM']do you have to pay the whole eleven hundred entry to qualify?

Good luck[/quote]

You pay a certain amount to get into the qualifier. I think it used to be $200-250. If you then qualified you had to pay the rest of the entrance fee. Once you add in the money for hotels, food, transportation, etc, etc... It takes a wonderful finish to break even on the Hooters Tour.

I agree with a few others here. If you are really a +5.1 handicap, going to Q-School is a better idea.

Or stick with playing and winning some big amateur events. With your handicap you are as good or better than 99.9% of all the top ams in the world. You are also better than a large majority of the PGA Tour. Get some winning experience under your belt and play in some majors as an amateur. You shouldn't have any problem getting in the Masters by winning or finishing runner up in the US Am.