Hooter's Tour

collegiate-pursuit

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846294' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:44 PM']+5 is another planet good. I mean that is some really low numbers, at least to maintain it.[/quote]

That's great that you are a +5. But how many of those calculated scores came from a home club, or a course with a rating of 70 or 69.

I can get my handicap down to +2 easily, if kept my handicap at this local course that I know I can shoot 66 or 67 routinely, with a course rating of 69. It's 6,000 yds, and the slope is 121.

I talk to guys all the time that say, "I'm a + handicap". Really, because why can't you break 80 when I play with you. Is it because were not at your home club, because the course we are playing at is 7,100 yds. Because the course has Donald Ross greens, which have been physically unchanged since 1927. Why is it that you can't handle different greens, you are a + handicap. Right?

No, you are a 4 handicap at best. And that is if you even decide to post this 82 you shot today.

I know two people who tried the Hooter's Tour. Real good players, long drivers, good short games. Both complained about the greens. Too different from what they were used to. Pin locations were seemingly easy, accept for the fact that they put them in spots where the breaks were too subtle to see and the grain was a factor.

The problem for them was this, they needed to be great players, with straighter long drives, Great Short Games, and Amazing putters. You don't understand until you see for yourself how "good" you have to be to even make it on the Hooter's tour.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='philfan316' post='1846371' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:11 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846294' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:44 PM']+5 is another planet good. I mean that is some really low numbers, at least to maintain it.[/quote]

That's great that you are a +5. But how many of those calculated scores came from a home club, or a course with a rating of 70 or 69.

I can get my handicap down to +2 easily, if kept my handicap at this local course that I know I can shoot 66 or 67 routinely, with a course rating of 69. It's 6,000 yds, and the slope is 121.

I talk to guys all the time that say, "I'm a + handicap". Really, because why can't you break 80 when I play with you. Is it because were not at your home club, because the course we are playing at is 7,100 yds. Because the course has Donald Ross greens, which have been physically unchanged since 1927. Why is it that you can't handle different greens, you are a + handicap. Right?

No, you are a 4 handicap at best. And that is if you even decide to post this 82 you shot today.

I know two people who tried the Hooter's Tour. Real good players, long drivers, good short games. Both complained about the greens. Too different from what they were used to. Pin locations were seemingly easy, accept for the fact that they put them in spots where the breaks were too subtle to see and the grain was a factor.

The problem for them was this, they needed to be great players, with straighter long drives, Great Short Games, and Amazing putters. You don't understand until you see for yourself how "good" you have to be to even make it on the Hooter's tour.
[/quote]
I hope this wasn't directed at me. Im about a +3.9 (last I actually updated) but thats because of the US system and all it takes is a great round or two. I'd be about a +1.5-2 in the UK. I know what it takes. I was simply stating that a true +5 would be other worldly good and I'd get my clock cleaned. My rounds aren't on mickey mouse courses and I shot a 62 just last Friday :wave:

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846391' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:16 PM'][quote name='philfan316' post='1846371' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:11 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846294' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:44 PM']+5 is another planet good. I mean that is some really low numbers, at least to maintain it.[/quote]

[/quote]
I hope this wasn't directed at me. Im about a +3.9 (last I actually updated) but thats because of the US system and all it takes is a great round or two. I'd be about a +1.5-2 in the UK. I know what it takes. I was simply stating that a true +5 would be other worldly good and I'd get my clock cleaned. My rounds aren't on mickey mouse courses and I shot a 62 just last Friday :wave:
[/quote]

I have no doubt in your ability, but I'd love to play a round w/ you one day just for fun. Never played w/ anyone who can take it that low before.

[quote name='kekoa' post='1846092' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:30 PM']good luck man.

oh, whats the difference between a 5 and a +5? just currious. Does that mean your index is under par?[/quote]
In a nutshell, 10 strokes. A +5 would give a scratch golfer 5 strokes. So it's damn near PGA Tour level.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' post='1846452' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:43 PM'][quote name='kekoa' post='1846092' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:30 PM']good luck man.

oh, whats the difference between a 5 and a +5? just currious. Does that mean your index is under par?[/quote]
In a nutshell, 10 strokes. A +5 would give a scratch golfer 5 strokes. So it's damn near PGA Tour level.
[/quote]

gotcha. that's sick!!

[quote name='kekoa' post='1846476' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:55 PM'][quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' post='1846452' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:43 PM'][quote name='kekoa' post='1846092' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:30 PM']good luck man.

[/quote]

gotcha. that's sick!!
[/quote]

yea id love to play with someone that low
there isnt really that many people here in Scotland with + caps

Titleist 913 D2 9.5 - RIP 60X
Titleist 909F 13* - V2 75S
Titleist 909H 21* - V2 90S
Nike VR Pro Combo 4-pw - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM5 50* 54* 58* - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5 - 34"

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846425' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:31 PM']Doesn't happen that often. Once maybe twice a year I have everything click. I shoot most rounds between 67-76. Everythign has to click to go that low and for me doesn't happen that often.[/quote]

Sorry if a little OT: But why do you think that equates to a +2 handicap in the UK as in your other post in this thread ?

I dont profess to fully understand the US system in any great depth,but i do know that a +2 UK golfer is one who has (And can only) achieve this handicap solely through competition play ****(Once below 5 handicap in the UK,nothing but competition scores can count toward your handicap: Either upward or downward adjustment).No friendly games,9 hole specials,rounds with friends or choosing wether to register a card or not.

Over here not only is your handicap a competition proven register of your golfing ability,but its also a measure of your ability to continually handle your game under pressure situations - the 'pressure' being an immediate increase in your index if you dont play to that handicap on any given day. Guys off this handicap (perhaps very slightly better) in the UK are bordering on Walker Cup potential / National squad status,and are generally knocking it round in 'a few' under par most weeks in a tournament scenario in order to maintain that level of handicap.

If thats you - kudos :D

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='1846575' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:41 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846425' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:31 PM']Doesn't happen that often. Once maybe twice a year I have everything click. I shoot most rounds between 67-76. Everythign has to click to go that low and for me doesn't happen that often.[/quote]

Sorry if a little OT: But why do you think that equates to a +2 handicap in the UK as in your other post in this thread ?

I dont profess to fully understand the US system in any great depth,but i do know that a +2 UK golfer is one who has (And can only) achieve this handicap solely through competition play ****(Once below 5 handicap in the UK,nothing but competition scores can count toward your handicap: Either upward or downward adjustment).No friendly games,9 hole specials,rounds with friends or choosing wether to register a card or not.

Over here not only is your handicap a competition proven register of your golfing ability,but its also a measure of your ability to continually handle your game under pressure situations - the 'pressure' being an immediate increase in your index if you dont play to that handicap on any given day. Guys off this handicap (perhaps very slightly better) in the UK are bordering on Walker Cup potential / National squad status,and are generally knocking it round in 'a few' under par most weeks in a tournament scenario in order to maintain that level of handicap.

[/quote]

yea i agree and its also harder in the UK for + caps to win weekly medals
as my uncle is +3.4 and hasnt won a medal in over a year

You fellas over in the UK have it "tougher" as far as handicapping goes, at least as I understand it.

Here in the good old USA our handicaps are calculated using the 10 BEST scores from the previous 20 in any given period. So in theory you could shoot 72 ten out of 20 times, and 85 the other ten...and still be somewhere close to scratch, depending on course ratings, etc.

Now obviously someone who can and does shoot 72 ten times out of twenty isn't gonna shoot 85 the other ten rounds, but you see my point.

Also, there are no requirements for tournament play...anyone can be a scratch or plus handicap and NEVER play in a tournament. Come to think of it, most "pluses" I know never play tournament golf...nice coincidence. Ha, ha!

[quote name='JLTD63' post='1846644' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:11 PM']You fellas over in the UK have it "tougher" as far as handicapping goes, at least as I understand it.

Here in the good old USA our handicaps are calculated using the 10 BEST scores from the previous 20 in any given period. So in theory you could shoot 72 ten out of 20 times, and 85 the other ten...and still be somewhere close to scratch, depending on course ratings, etc.

Now obviously someone who can and does shoot 72 ten times out of twenty isn't gonna shoot 85 the other ten rounds, but you see my point.

Also, there are no requirements for tournament play...anyone can be a scratch or plus handicap and NEVER play in a tournament. Come to think of it, most "pluses" I know never play tournament golf...nice coincidence. Ha, ha![/quote]

i still cant beleive that there are +2's in the US that have never played tourney golf
heck here in the UK even 36 caps are playing tourney golf :D

[quote name='callawayfan' post='1846671' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:21 PM'][quote name='JLTD63' post='1846644' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:11 PM']You fellas over in the UK have it "tougher" as far as handicapping goes, at least as I understand it.

Also, there are no requirements for tournament play...anyone can be a scratch or plus handicap and NEVER play in a tournament. Come to think of it, most "pluses" I know never play tournament golf...nice coincidence. Ha, ha![/quote]

i still cant beleive that there are +2's in the US that have never played tourney golf
[/quote]

Believe it...kind of. I don't think there is such a thing as a +2 who doesn't play tournament golf either. If you're a +2, let's see what you've got, ya know??

So there really are +2's over here who have never played a competitive round, according to the USGA handicap system. According to me and plenty of others I'm sure...they're not "real" +2's. :rolleyes:

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='1846575' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:41 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1846425' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:31 PM']Doesn't happen that often. Once maybe twice a year I have everything click. I shoot most rounds between 67-76. Everythign has to click to go that low and for me doesn't happen that often.[/quote]

[/quote]
My tournament average in the two professional events I played in last year was 70 (cashed a check in both) and I'd consider myself a fairly good golfer. I teach 5-6 days a week so don't play much tournament golf anymore.

[quote name='callawayfan' post='1846671' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:21 PM'][quote name='JLTD63' post='1846644' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:11 PM']You fellas over in the UK have it "tougher" as far as handicapping goes, at least as I understand it.

[/quote]

I don't live across the pond so I don't know, but what exactly do you mean when you say "tourney" golf? I understand that you get a handicap by posting scores that are legitimate because you've played with another marker or whatever. Are there weekly tournaments or something you need to enter to establish? To me, that's really not tournament golf if you just sign up and get paired up with guys from the club and go out and play. Although here it is a bit more open because anyone could go out there shoot 75 and post 65 and no one would say a word or even really know.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Dizzub' post='1846729' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:48 PM'][quote name='callawayfan' post='1846671' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:21 PM'][quote name='JLTD63' post='1846644' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:11 PM']You fellas over in the UK have it "tougher" as far as handicapping goes, at least as I understand it.

[/quote]

I don't live across the pond so I don't know, but what exactly do you mean when you say "tourney" golf? I understand that you get a handicap by posting scores that are legitimate because you've played with another marker or whatever. Are there weekly tournaments or something you need to enter to establish? To me, that's really not tournament golf if you just sign up and get paired up with guys from the club and go out and play. Although here it is a bit more open because anyone could go out there shoot 75 and post 65 and no one would say a word or even really know.
[/quote]

yea weekly Saturday medal.. one round
you get paired with people in the same category as you

(at my clubs the cats are:)

cat 1 5-however low you can go
cat 2 6-12
cat 3 13-19
cat 4 20-36

and yea there IS cheating but normally in the higher caps so nobody really cares
but with lower people they will be playing with other low caps and they generally are more strict so if say a scratch cap shoots -2 you would believe him

Hey guys, just wanted to answer some questions/clear some things up I guess. Anyway, here's my story:

I played h.s golf for four years, and was tired of it after. I wanted to go to a big university, join a fraternity, and have a "real" college experience. At the time I was probably good enough to play at a small school. That's neither here nor there though.
I started really falling in love with the game again sophomore year of school, playing with fraternity brothers etc. I found that since I had finally stopped growing, my game was back, and fairly quick. I've always been a natural athlete, playing hockey, baseball, golf, you name it I played it. Anyway, Senior year comes and like I said before I was playing well and practicing all the time. After graduating, I could either find a "real" job in a terrible job market or I could pursue a passion. I chose golf. Towards the end of last year I started working with my old high school coach again once a week to see how things went. I was also practicing 6-9 hours a day. I'm not a cocky person, believe me, but my game was improving at a rate that I saw potential. People around me started noticing, my coach, family, local members, etc.
To answer the question about how I got to be a +hdcp:
I practice my a** off 5-6 days a week. I'm thankful to be naturally athletic. I have a will to learn and improve my game like no one I've been around. If there were, I'd recognize them, but I haven't seen it. I found the weaknesses in my game (mostly short pitches and putting) and I worked on them until they were the best part of my game. When I got to that point, I kept seeing what was the worst, made it the best, and this goes on still. I think this part it was makes me a good player. I can accept what my faults are, and work on them. I like to learn why I'm doing something the way I am, and how I can make it better. Trust me, once you get to this point, golf, at least for me became a job really fast. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun, but no doubt a job.
My home course is just shy of 7200 yds par 72 with a rating of 74.3 from the back tee's. I'm averaging 70.1 right now and like I said, hdcp states a +5.1. This IS the primary course I play with 90% of the hdcp scores entered being from this course. I IN NO WAY meant to pad my hdcp, or state something I'm not, I'm just telling you what the computer tells me. But to be honest, I'm not concerned with everyone's take on my game because, it's me who's going to succeed or fail right?
I started playing competitively again when I started working with my old coach. Believe me, I found out really quick tournament golf and Saturday afternoon with friends are two different animals. But there is something about tournament golf that makes me tick. I want people to watch, I'm the most competitive person I know... I don't know, there's just something about it that gives you that feeling that this is what your supposed to be doing.
Back to my hdcp. I HONESTLY have not played enough tournament golf at other courses to tell you how well my hdcp. travels. But, I I have no reason to believe it can't or won't.
I'm certainly interested in everyone's take. Please keep this on topic and positive. I wouldn't go to your job and tell you that you'll never get a raise/succeed/make it, so let's not take that here. This is my job, and will continue to be until I see a reason it shouldn't. Thanks to all of the previous encouragement and words of wisdom. Take care.

From what was said earlier in the thread it sounds like the Hooters Tour is pretty tough to make money in. You may want to try a few monday qualifiers on the Nationwide Tour. I don't know what the entry fees are now but they weren't that high when i checked it out a few years ago. When i looked into it there were roughly 10-12 spots open per event on monday so if you just shot under 70 you were pretty much a lock.

Of course things might have changed but it is worth looking into. Not much time left in the season.

+5 is pretty damn good, but the guys out there that are the top even on the Hooters tour and other mini tours are unreal. I have played some mini tour events, one of which was at a course with a 77 rating, and there were still plenty of 64s and 65s thrown up there even on the toughest of courses. I would say you should have no trouble making it through the qualifier, but you are gonna need to play very well to compete at one of these events. The main thing is to minimize the bogeys, if you are a +5 you obviously can make plenty of birdies, but you can get on the bogey train in a hurry if you aren't careful the way they set the courses up.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

[quote name='TLUBulldogGolf' post='1847215' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:15 PM']+5 is pretty damn good, but the guys out there that are the top even on the Hooters tour and other mini tours are unreal. I have played some mini tour events, one of which was at a course with a 77 rating, and there were still plenty of 64s and 65s thrown up there even on the toughest of courses. I would say you should have no trouble making it through the qualifier, but you are gonna need to play very well to compete at one of these events. The main thing is to minimize the bogeys, if you are a +5 you obviously can make plenty of birdies, but you can get on the bogey train in a hurry if you aren't careful the way they set the courses up.[/quote]

i dont think many people including pros are much more than a +5
even TW wouldnt be more than a +8

[quote name='callawayfan' post='1847253' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:31 PM'][quote name='TLUBulldogGolf' post='1847215' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:15 PM']+5 is pretty damn good, but the guys out there that are the top even on the Hooters tour and other mini tours are unreal. I have played some mini tour events, one of which was at a course with a 77 rating, and there were still plenty of 64s and 65s thrown up there even on the toughest of courses. I would say you should have no trouble making it through the qualifier, but you are gonna need to play very well to compete at one of these events. The main thing is to minimize the bogeys, if you are a +5 you obviously can make plenty of birdies, but you can get on the bogey train in a hurry if you aren't careful the way they set the courses up.[/quote]

i dont think many people including pros are much more than a +5
even TW wouldnt be more than a +8
[/quote]

Handicap means absolutely nothing though. I can shoot 65 ten times and shoot 80 ten times and be a +8, you could shoot 65 twenty times in a row and be the same handicap. A +5 obviously has serious game but there is a big difference between shooting 65 with your frat buddies and shooting -20 over 4 days to win a professional golf tournament...on any level.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I think you're somewhat comparing apples to oranges, but let me explain. PGA pro's are better than +5 at their home course day to day. They may be +5's or close playing Tour course layouts in tournament conditions week to week. Playing a course, like me, every day and being a +? handicap is one thing. Doing it week to week on a new layout under ridiculous conditions is another. Even I can accept that. But this is what drives me. A new level of play, a new standard of consistency.

Hey come on Bizzub, don't knock the fraternity thing. :D

And the Debbie Downer Award for this thread goes to:

Callawayfan.. Congrats!

Good luck collegeate-pursuit.. I look forward to hearing your results.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='collegiate-pursuit' post='1847314' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:56 PM']I think you're somewhat comparing apples to oranges, but let me explain. PGA pro's are better than +5 at their home course day to day. They may be +5's or close playing Tour course layouts in tournament conditions week to week. Playing a course, like me, every day and being a +? handicap is one thing. Doing it week to week on a new layout under ridiculous conditions is another. Even I can accept that. But this is what drives me. A new level of play, a new standard of consistency.

Hey come on Bizzub, don't knock the fraternity thing. :D[/quote]

LOL nothing against frats I was just trying to make a point. You understand the difference because you pretty much said exactly what I did in your previous post. Good luck to you in the tournament.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Keep up the practice schedule refining everything and you'll do fine throughout the qualifiers... Best of luck to you and I hope to hear of success!

[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 10.5* Diamana Kai'li [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 17* Diamana Kai'li[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Callaway FT 21* Diamana Thump[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Mizuno MP-52 5-PW Project X[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Vokey SM 52, 56, 60, 64 KBS Tour[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Bettinardi SB-1[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Pure745' post='1847343' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:07 PM'][b]And the Debbie Downer Award for this thread goes to:

Callawayfan.. Congrats!
[/b]
Good luck collegeate-pursuit.. I look forward to hearing your results.[/quote]

and what's that supposed to mean?

[quote name='callawayfan' post='1847428' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:46 PM'][quote name='Pure745' post='1847343' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:07 PM'][b]And the Debbie Downer Award for this thread goes to:

Callawayfan.. Congrats!
[/b]
Good luck collegeate-pursuit.. I look forward to hearing your results.[/quote]

and what's that supposed to mean?
[/quote]

I think Pure745 meant to give the "Debbie Downer Award" to someone else--not Callawayfan. Callwayfan seemed to be quite positive....I read a lot more "downer" posts than his.

In any case, yes, players on the mini tours are at an elite level and are "really good." But hey... at +5, who's to say that Collegiate-pursuit is not one of them? Or even better?

I guarantee you...there must've been a lot of people telling MJ: "Basketball? At the college level??? I'm just warning you, Michael, those dudes in D-I ball can [i]play[/i]. And you're having trouble getting on the varsity squad!"

Good luck to you!