Game Improvement Irons + Low Handicap = ?

deep18

[quote name='SCOTT4099' post='1847013' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:56 PM']What movie is your avatar photo from? I have seen t-shirts of this guy all over the place.......sorry off topic..[/quote]

if you're referring to the OP i believe it's "the big lebowski"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switching to game improvement irons for me has done 1 important thing:

Allow me to focus my practice time on short game and driving!!

I have a job and family, so I have a finite amount of time to devote to golf (though I wish it were more, believe me). Going from a forged player's cavity back (Yonex Cyberstar Forged CB - Goddam I miss those gorgeous clubs) to a trusty set from 8 years ago (Callaway X-14 Pro Series) has allowed me to maintain a solid iron game without spending a lot of time focusing on that part of my game.

Thus, while I wouldn't say my iron game has "improved" per se, I would say other aspects have improved by default. All in all, I think my misses are waaaay better with these irons.

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

First off I'm not that low of a handicap, 6.8, trend 5.5. I currently play the i10s. Some people consider them "players cavity". But before these I played the i3+OS. I dont find much difference between the 2 except the offset.

I was kinda in the same boat as you.. I wanted something forgiving, but that was not to big. Like alot of people have said there numerous clubs that fall into this range. Personally I really love my i10s. They are very forgiving, just as forgiving as the i3+OS.

I think you just need to find something that fits your eyes. If you feel confident with them you will play well. Don't fall into the "I'm low cap, so I need to blades" category like some people (obvously you don't because of you post). Find what works for you. If it happens to be MP-60's, or hi-bore irons, whatever works.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I started playing golf about 30 years ago and the best my hdcp has been is a 4; it is now a 6.2. I am a Ping guy and have found that is is always been good for my scores to use more forgiving models in the longer irons and less forgiving in the short irons such as G5 3 to 5 irons and I5 6 to pw. I believe the new I15 irons that are about to come out are set up in this fashion.

I have noticed that to some golfers, the tools are more important than the scores in many cases...I use to be that way but have changed my thinking on this because of age and less time to practice...when I have golf time now, it is to go play and so I want to play as well as I can & given the lack of practice, I will hit more forgiving clubs that will not allow me to move the ball as well as other clubs but will also allow me to hit the basic shots most of the time in an OK fashion. If I had time to hit the balls and take lessons and did not have a 56 year old back, etc. I am sure I would hit non game improvement irons which would allow for a variety of shots that I don't have now.
You will need to decide which is the most important...tools or score? The answer to that will guide you through the selection you make on the clubs...

[quote name='bscinstnct' post='1846828' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:42 PM']As a 4, you probably don't go around hitting a lot of fat shots but a wider sole can save you a bit if you are more of a sweeper and
you catch it a little fat.

I would say the best benefit would be on shots toward the toe. You can get a very nice result with a full perimeter weighted, cavity back
iron on these. I don't think the mp 52 will offer as much as the Burner.

That and shots high off the face. A full cavity back would help here too, I think.[/quote]

Clarification... I am a sweeper; sweepers do NOT want wide sole heads, it acts as effective loft. Miss hits bounce into the ball. Sweepers don't miss fat, they miss thin because we don't go down deep at the ball like diggers. What sweepers want are narrow low camber soles with sharp leading edges to pick

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' post='1851227' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:54 PM'][quote name='bscinstnct' post='1846828' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:42 PM']As a 4, you probably don't go around hitting a lot of fat shots but a wider sole can save you a bit if you are more of a sweeper and
you catch it a little fat.

I would say the best benefit would be on shots toward the toe. You can get a very nice result with a full perimeter weighted, cavity back
iron on these. I don't think the mp 52 will offer as much as the Burner.

That and shots high off the face. A full cavity back would help here too, I think.[/quote]

Clarification... I am a sweeper; sweepers do NOT want wide sole heads, it acts as effective loft. Miss hits bounce into the ball. Sweepers don't miss fat, they miss thin because we don't go down deep at the ball like diggers. What sweepers want are narrow low camber soles with sharp leading edges to pick

[/quote]

Good call. I am definitely a sweeper and my misses are 95/5, thin/fat. However, wouldn't a wider sole put more mass behind the ball when we miss thin, thereby helping to minimize the negative impact of the miss?

Titleist 915D2 9.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3 Wood
Adams Super LS 19* Hybrid
Ping s55 4-PW
Ping Glide Wedges 50* SS, 54* SS, 60* TS
Rife IMO Putter

I must be missing something in the general discussion......but why does everyone talk about about blades or GI irons.....why don't you check out some small cavity back or players cavity back irons....basically something in between a true blade and a gi iron.....You can find some without the huge soles,with minimal offset and normal lofts, but with a little more forgiveness then a blade, but still with plenty of feedback....

[quote name='oregongolfguy' post='1851422' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:17 PM']I must be missing something in the general discussion......but why does everyone talk about about blades or GI irons.....why don't you check out some small cavity back or players cavity back irons....basically something in between a true blade and a gi iron.....You can find some without the huge soles,with minimal offset and normal lofts, but with a little more forgiveness then a blade, but still with plenty of feedback....[/quote]

+1

I am just throwing out some suggestions
-Ping i10
-Ping i15
-Ping s57 (some people say these are more forgiving than the i10's I find this hard to believe, the i10s are very forgiving)
-Mizuno MX23
-Mizuno MP57,52,60
-Scratch EZ-1
-Scratch AR-1 (maybe a combo set)

I figured if you saw something in this list that you liked, then maybe people could throw out suggestions that are like the one you choose and work off that?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

• 7 years later...

Practice on the range with a blade if you want feedback. Then when you get on the course use your game improvement clubs. Works for me. When I'm on the course I don't want feedback. I'm not trying to change anything out there just trying to play.

On the range I practice with an old blade 7-iron.

I still get feedback with my game improvement clubs. I can tell when I catch it off the toe or heel. And its sure nice when I do that and still sneak it on the green vs ending up short.

I must be missing something in the general discussion......but why does everyone talk about about blades or GI irons.....why don't you check out some small cavity back or players cavity back irons....basically something in between a true blade and a gi iron.....You can find some without the huge soles,with minimal offset and normal lofts, but with a little more forgiveness then a blade, but still with plenty of feedback....

funny thing is there are tons of irons in this class....lol

Thee head matters very little, it's what your comfortable with ( within reason) and your swing consistency that matters.....people just won't relish this reality....

Every type of head is played at the top level.....take your pick

If you play a lot and practice than play anything....if your golf is limited than get a Lil bit of help.....pretty simple

It worked and it didn't for me. It felt easier, yes. But I didn't hit more greens. I flew quite a few long. And I seemed to lose some feel for subtle shaped shots. It was also harder to hit a ball hard and keep it low. If you love to hit different shots it's not for you. If you just want to hit the same shot over and over it'll probably give you some confidence.