2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

my new Ping i15 irons

frozen_rope

switching from Eye 2+
I've played Eye 2+ for many years, including in recent years new sets of the same model. When I learned the new groove rule would make Eye 2+ non-forming for some classes of players, I decided to buy whatever Ping came out with which had conforming grooves.
The i15's with DGS300 arrived Saturday and I played a round of golf with them Sunday.
Here are my thoughts:

This model looks fine at address. Eye 2 players will notice the head shape looks boxy,which is fine, just not as toe to heel sloped as the Eye 2. Top line of the i15 looks good, slender.

Trajectory is lower for me with the i15's compared to the Eye 2+. I assume this is due to less offset and stronger lofts, but perhaps it has something to do with the weighting of the club heads.

Carry distance is longer. I assume this is due to the stronger lofts.

Forgiveness is comparable.

Accuracy may be a little better with the i15's. I assume this model has improved technology head design and head weighting.

Much of the above is probably similar to the i3's, i5's, and i10's when one compares those to the older model Eye 2+. I never swung any of those previous Ping models so I won't comment on how the i15's compare.

My club length and lie angle is the same +.25 length and +3* lie angle, and shaft is the same, so that probably helps my transition from one set to the next. One disappointment is the new Ping ID8 grip. I found it to have a hard, slick touch about it and have already removed them in favor of traditional wrap style grips.

I am satisfied with the i15's.If you are a Ping player and care about having clubs which meet the new groove standard I recommend the i15's. If you are an i5 or i10 player who doesn't care about the new groove rule then you may not find enough difference in the i15 from previous models to justify a new set. For s59, s58, s57 players,I have never swung those models so I will not make a comparison. My guess is that Ping will introduce a new groove s57 update within a few months. At that time Ping players will choose between the i15 and new s57 as to which relatively small headed iron design they like best.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned the i5's and the i10's. Both are excellent sticks but I actually liked the i10's better than the i5's but thats just my opinion.

I just received my order of i15's with kbs tour shafts and have only had the chance to hit them at the range but found them to have the same feel as the i5's. I'll find out more as I'm planning on playing the next couple of days.

One issue I agree with fully is your disappointment with the grips. Some were tacky, some were very slick. I used soap and water on the slick ones and that helped but I'm probably going to regrip shortly.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

I thouhgt the Eye2 grooves were grandfathered in after the settlement with the USGA back in the early 90's.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

From Ping...

Also, PING Eye2 irons will remain conforming beyond 2024 for all play at all levels in the United States and Mexico (where the USGA Rules apply). PING protected these rights in 1990, and they remain protected. If you own Eye2 irons and play golf outside of the U.S. and Mexico, and you wish to know if your Eye2's can continue to be played as conforming clubs under the R&A Rules, please send an email and include with it the serial number of your clubs.

14 years and 4 months to go...I think my Eye2's are safe for a while.

Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[quote name='boabola' post='1933253' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:50 AM']From Ping...

Also, PING Eye2 irons will remain conforming beyond 2024 for all play at all levels in the United States and Mexico (where the USGA Rules apply). PING protected these rights in 1990, and they remain protected. If you own Eye2 irons and play golf outside of the U.S. and Mexico, and you wish to know if your Eye2's can continue to be played as conforming clubs under the R&A Rules, please send an email and include with it the serial number of your clubs.

14 years and 4 months to go...I think my Eye2's are safe for a while.[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1926238' date='Aug 31 2009, 09:05 PM']I've played Eye 2+ for many years, including in recent years new sets of the same model. When I learned the new groove rule would make Eye 2+ non-forming for some classes of players, I decided to buy whatever Ping came out with which had conforming grooves.
The i15's with DGS300 arrived Saturday and I played a round of golf with them Sunday.
Here are my thoughts:

This model looks fine at address. Eye 2 players will notice the head shape looks boxy,which is fine, just not as toe to heel sloped as the Eye 2. Top line of the i15 looks good, slender.

Trajectory is lower for me with the i15's compared to the Eye 2+. I assume this is due to less offset and stronger lofts, but perhaps it has something to do with the weighting of the club heads.

Accuracy may be a little better with the i15's. I assume this model has improved technology head design and head weighting.

Much of the above is probably similar to the i3's, i5's, and i10's when one compares those to the older model Eye 2+. I never swung any of those previous Ping models so I won't comment on how the i15's compare.

My club length and lie angle is the same +.25 length and +3* lie angle, and shaft is the same, so that probably helps my transition from one set to the next. One disappointment is the new Ping ID8 grip. I found it to have a hard, slick touch about it and have already removed them in favor of traditional wrap style grips.

I am satisfied with the i15's.If you are a Ping player and care about having clubs which meet the new groove standard I recommend the i15's. If you are an i5 or i10 player who doesn't care about the new groove rule then you may not find enough difference in the i15 from previous models to justify a new set. For s59, s58, s57 players,I have never swung those models so I will not make a comparison. My guess is that Ping will introduce a new groove s57 update within a few months. At that time Ping players will choose between the i15 and new s57 as to which relatively small headed iron design they like best.[/quote]
he

Ive tried the i15 they are the best clubs in my opinion that ping has made as usual the sweet spot is in the center of the club wich makes mishits more manageble verse most taylormade tour prefeered r7 tp it is still towards the heel. You said you hi tthe i15 kinda low, i think this is the shaft dynamic golds hit the ball lower than any shaft out there ive tried i3+ blades with dgs300 and the stock ping shaft big difference the dg was way lower. I wanna order a set and am thinking of getting the awt stock shafts has anyone hit this set with kbs shafts what is there opinion on them. i hit the ball kinda lower so could use a little height help wich i heard kbs helps with the kbs shafts,

Since my original post I've played 3 more rounds, and some range practice. This i15 w/dgs300 set definitely strikes lower trajectory shots for me than the eye 2+ dgs300 set I've played for years.
The shafts between the two sets are the same, so the difference is either the weight distribution of the head, the lesser degree of offset, the groove design difference, or a combination of all three.

[quote name='bantamben' post='1935266' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:51 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1926238' date='Aug 31 2009, 09:05 PM']I've played Eye 2+ for many years, including in recent years new sets of the same model. When I learned the new groove rule would make Eye 2+ non-forming for some classes of players, I decided to buy whatever Ping came out with which had conforming grooves.
Here are my thoughts:

I am satisfied with the i15's.If you are a Ping player and care about having clubs which meet the new groove standard I recommend the i15's. If you are an i5 or i10 player who doesn't care about the new groove rule then you may not find enough difference in the i15 from previous models to justify a new set. For s59, s58, s57 players,I have never swung those models so I will not make a comparison. My guess is that Ping will introduce a new groove s57 update within a few months. At that time Ping players will choose between the i15 and new s57 as to which relatively small headed iron design they like best.[/quote]
he

Ive tried the i15 they are the best clubs in my opinion that ping has made as usual the sweet spot is in the center of the club wich makes mishits more manageble verse most taylormade tour prefeered r7 tp it is still towards the heel. You said you hi tthe i15 kinda low, i think this is the shaft dynamic golds hit the ball lower than any shaft out there ive tried i3+ blades with dgs300 and the stock ping shaft big difference the dg was way lower. I wanna order a set and am thinking of getting the awt stock shafts has anyone hit this set with kbs shafts what is there opinion on them. i hit the ball kinda lower so could use a little height help wich i heard kbs helps with the kbs shafts,
[/quote]

Any further thoughts on feel, sole design and playability, long irons compared to mid and short irons?

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1935230' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:13 PM']Believe it or not some players do care. Equipment Rules have always been the same for every class of player. For 2010 it's a new frontier with Rules separating classes of players. I prefer the former style, all for one and one for all. Illegal for one, illegal for all.[/quote]
admit it, you were just looking for an excuse to buy a new set, at least you had a good exuse for the wife. Also there is nothing illeagal about it, it is a rule in a game, no one is going to arrest you, especially since you will be playing by the rules anyway.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I buy new stuff all the time, year after year. Fairway metals, drivers, bags, putters, lots of putters. My decision to buy the i15's was 100% Rules related. If There was no new groove Rule I would have bought a new set of Eye 2+. which I have done four times over the past years.
Sorry you and some others here can't seem to comprehend the concept of illegal for one, illegal for all.

[quote name='dlygrisse' post='1942895' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:31 AM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1935230' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:13 PM']Believe it or not some players do care. Equipment Rules have always been the same for every class of player. For 2010 it's a new frontier with Rules separating classes of players. I prefer the former style, all for one and one for all. Illegal for one, illegal for all.[/quote]
admit it, you were just looking for an excuse to buy a new set, at least you had a good exuse for the wife. Also there is nothing illeagal about it, it is a rule in a game, no one is going to arrest you, especially since you will be playing by the rules anyway.
[/quote]

frozen rope,

Please explain your logic to me... The USGA imposes a new groove rule, and you are such an ardent supporter of the USGA rules that you go out and buy clubs with "confroming" grooves, EVEN though the EXACT same USGA rule states that your current clubs ARE conforming until 2014???? Doesn't appear to make sense to me...

Tedd

The whole groove Rule thing is a big USGA mistake. First of all, player scoring averages of all skill levels, including Tour play, are not declining. That right there should have ended any thought by the USGA to make equipment changes. But, the egomaniac Arnold Palmer telephoned the USGA and complained that "players are hitting the green from the rough, you need to make a new groove Rule", and the USGA did what he requested.
So now we have a brand new frontier of different Rules for different skill levels. Golf has never had that and there is absolutely no reason to start now. Yes, in an effort to accommodate people's wallets, the USGA has made it "legal" to use the older grooves for many more years. So technically the old grooves are legal, but I don't like two sets of Rules and choose to follow the new Rule.

[quote name='tachilders' post='1943337' date='Sep 10 2009, 01:15 PM']frozen rope,

Please explain your logic to me... The USGA imposes a new groove rule, and you are such an ardent supporter of the USGA rules that you go out and buy clubs with "confroming" grooves, EVEN though the EXACT same USGA rule states that your current clubs ARE conforming until 2014???? Doesn't appear to make sense to me...

Tedd[/quote]

Fine, but that doesn't mean that people who choose to use older clubs until 2014 are cheaters or not following the rules of golf. I find it strange that you (and I agree BTW) find the new groove rule a mistake, yet your response is to go above and beyond what is required by the rule you think is a mistake. I will play my current i5s until possibly 2014, by which time the USGA may have decided to change the rule once again...

Tedd

He wasn't saying that - simply saying that everyone, meaning amateur and professional, has previously played by the same equipment rules and he wishes to continue doing the same. Nothing wrong with that point of view and I can understand the logic. Looking forward to any more thoughts on the i15 irons - hit them this evening and they felt ok, although that horrible grip and an awt shaft did not help matters.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

I never said anybody using old grooves is a "cheater", or "not following the Rules of golf".
I do expect that later this year, as club brands introduce new irons and wedges and advertise them as "conforming", that more and more players will want to play the new grooves.
Actually I bought the i15's early to try them out for awhile and then when the new groove s57's are introduced I can decide whether to stick with the i15's or sell them to try new groove S57's. My guess is that new groove S57's will come out later this year. If Ping would make a new groove Eye2 +model I would buy that immediately, because that is the design I like best of all.

[quote name='tachilders' post='1943369' date='Sep 10 2009, 01:35 PM']Fine, but that doesn't mean that people who choose to use older clubs until 2014 are cheaters or not following the rules of golf. I find it strange that you (and I agree BTW) find the new groove rule a mistake, yet your response is to go above and beyond what is required by the rule you think is a mistake. I will play my current i5s until possibly 2014, by which time the USGA may have decided to change the rule once again...

Tedd[/quote]

I don't know about some of you but it takes me a LONG time to get comfortable with a set of irons and I really DON'T like switching new irons in and out.(drivers/fw/hybrids/wedges/putters absolutely :partytime2: )

So I'm going to start searching for something to replace my Eye 2's over the winter as it'll probably take that long to develop a chemistry with new clubs

furthermore just from a hypothetical perspective: How are the new(and probably higher spin) golf balls designed for the new smaller grooves going to interact with the old large grooves?

What would you like to know about i15's ?
I've now played 6 rounds with my set, so while not that much play, it's enough for me to get a sense of the irons.
My past Ping iron experience is mostly with Ping Eye 2 and Eye 2+, a little bit with Ping Zing. So , these i15's are my first go with the Ping plastic backed cavity's. My observation is that this plastic is truly a vibration-dampening feature. So far I don't care for it because it results in little sound/feel difference between the best struck shots and mishits. All Ping's are forgiving, but the plastic in the cavity really removes the feedback.

[quote name='spooky' post='1943408' date='Sep 10 2009, 02:06 PM']He wasn't saying that - simply saying that everyone, meaning amateur and professional, has previously played by the same equipment rules and he wishes to continue doing the same. Nothing wrong with that point of view and I can understand the logic. Looking forward to any more thoughts on the i15 irons - hit them this evening and they felt ok, although that horrible grip and an awt shaft did not help matters.[/quote]

Sole design and playability ?
The i15's soles are fine. I've played softer bent grass fairways and hard baked out bermuda grass. The i15 soles are versatile , don't dig, work through longer grass fine.
Regarding long irons compared to mid and short irons, that's fine too. Since the top lines all look the same the "progressive set" concept is not noticeable when going through the bag playing shots. My longest iron is the 4, so I can't comment on what the 3-iron looks like. All in all the head shapes of the i15 is really good.
So far the two main points I don't care for are the vibration dampening which hides the sound/feel of mishits, and the lower ball flight trajectory I am getting compared to my Eye 2+ set. I'm not sure if the lower trajectory is due to the lack of offset compared to my Eye 2+, or due to the stronger lofts of the i15's, or if it has something to do with the weighting profile of the i15 heads compared to Eye 2+ design. The shafts of both sets are DGS300, both installed by Ping, so I don't think the trajectory difference has anythingto do with shaft.

[quote name='spooky' post='1942891' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:27 AM']Any further thoughts on feel, sole design and playability, long irons compared to mid and short irons?[/quote]

Frozen rope i bet you end up back with your eye 2's!

In my opinion Ping has'nt bettered them. I have an all Ping bag and i always will. I play i5's at the moment but Pings best irons were pre-i3 range. I love the old style irons and they have that certain look about them. Newer Pings , while still performing well have lost the old magic. The cavitys of the new range are horrible. To "taylor made" for me.

Who cares sbout the new groove rules?.

True, "illegal for one, illegal for all" is not technically correct, but I like the way it sounds ;)
I expect some amateurs, like me, will care about the new groove Rule. Others will not give it a thought. For sure there will be more awareness about it and more discussion as this year wears on and we get into January , 2010.

[quote name='tachilders' post='1943543' date='Sep 10 2009, 03:20 PM']"Sorry you and some others here can't seem to comprehend the concept of illegal for one, illegal for all"

I took this as you stating that those who play with older clubs are not playing legally....

Tedd[/quote]

I do wish Ping would introduce a new conforming groove Eye 2+ model. My guess is that the company won't do it because Karsten's heirs don't want to admit his design played better than any of the newer computer CAD designed clubs produced now.
If Ping updated the Eye 2+ with maybe a unique looking blast media finish, maybe a new model name like Ping KS, new colored paint fill , sharp looking new grip design, etc... I think it would resurrect the Eye 2, 2+ legacy and post some strong sales, and I believe plenty of Tour pros would use them just like they used to use Eye 2's and Eye 2+'s. Give players an option to buy Ping irons without plastic in the cavity, without the vibration dampening.

[quote name='allyjs' post='1943583' date='Sep 10 2009, 04:33 PM']Frozen rope i bet you end up back with your eye 2's!

In my opinion Ping has'nt bettered them. I have an all Ping bag and i always will. I play i5's at the moment but Pings best irons were pre-i3 range. I love the old style irons and they have that certain look about them. Newer Pings , while still performing well have lost the old magic. The cavitys of the new range are horrible. To "taylor made" for me.

Who cares sbout the new groove rules?.[/quote]

Here's my quick take on the new I15's

1. Long, very long!! At least a club and a half longer. Something more than +2* loft difference going on here.

2. Significantly straighter than either my S58's or I3+ Blades.

3. launch significantly higher than s58's and pretty close to the I3+blades.

4. Sole grind is phenomenal. No digging or odd bouncing off the ground. Really good on touchy little chip shots. Very stable even in summer bermuda in Fla.

5. Grips might be the poorest Ping effort ever. I have the gold cords. Some are slick, some are sticky. The shape is a bit narrower and/or more tapered. Feels like they were stretched out but they are not. Should have ordered mine with 703 Cords. Will be changed shortly.

6. Squeaky epoxy. Sent first set back. Second set just as bad. Sounds like the heads are coming loose. Called Ping, working on this. I might just pull the shafts and reset myself though.

7. No noticeable loss of spin. As a matter of fact they seem a bit more spinny then my other pings.(S58 and I3+ B)

8. 4 and 5 iron are a bit bigger than I expected. Not bad just need some more time with them. Especially the 4.

9. Pissed that Ping did not make a I15 gap or sand wedge. Hopefully they fix this. PLEASE!!

All three sets of Pings (I15, S58, and i3+B) have identical specs for length, lie, swingweight, shaft model and flex. Lofts are set to the standards for each model.

Me: Professional who has to change over to the new grooves. However I like these so much after two range sessions and three rounds that they are in the bag even with the squeaky epoxy and narrow grips.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1934556' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM']Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[/quote]

Incorrect. It does include the Eye2+

Eye 2+ is non-conforming to the new groove Rule.
Eye 2 is conforming (due to previous exemption agreement )
* the reason Eye 2 is conforming is due to special legal agreement (exemption) of years ago between Karsten Solheim and the USGA. Following that legal settlement Solheim agreed to change the groove design of the Eye 2 model, and that is how the Eye 2+ model was born.

[quote name='boabola' post='1945291' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:29 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1934556' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM']Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1945380' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:21 PM']Eye 2+ is non-conforming to the new groove Rule.
* the reason Eye 2 is conforming is due to special legal agreement (exemption) of years ago between Karsten Solheim and the USGA. Following that legal settlement Solheim agreed to change the groove design of the Eye 2 model, and that is how the Eye 2+ model was born.

[quote name='boabola' post='1945291' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:29 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1934556' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM']Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Just passing along what Ping told me... I'll go with that.

[quote name='boabola' post='1947609' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:27 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1945380' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:21 PM']Eye 2+ is non-conforming to the new groove Rule.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Just passing along what Ping told me... I'll go with that.
[/quote]

This is direct from the USGA rule announcement, and the Eye2+'s are not grandfathered in:

[i]"The new regulations permit club designers to vary groove width, depth, spacing and shape to create clubs that conform to the new groove rules. In addition, all [b]Ping EYE2 irons manufactured before March 31, 1990,[/b] will continue to be treated by the USGA as conforming to the Rules of Golf, and will be acceptable for all USGA competitions."[/i]