my new Ping i15 irons

frozen_rope

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1943654' date='Sep 10 2009, 05:06 PM']I do wish Ping would introduce a new conforming groove Eye 2+ model. My guess is that the company won't do it because Karsten's heirs don't want to admit his design played better than any of the newer computer CAD designed clubs produced now.
If Ping updated the Eye 2+ with maybe a unique looking blast media finish, maybe a new model name like Ping KS, new colored paint fill , sharp looking new grip design, etc... I think it would resurrect the Eye 2, 2+ legacy and post some strong sales, and I believe plenty of Tour pros would use them just like they used to use Eye 2's and Eye 2+'s. Give players an option to buy Ping irons without plastic in the cavity, without the vibration dampening.

[quote name='allyjs' post='1943583' date='Sep 10 2009, 04:33 PM']Frozen rope i bet you end up back with your eye 2's!

In my opinion Ping has'nt bettered them. I have an all Ping bag and i always will. I play i5's at the moment but Pings best irons were pre-i3 range. I love the old style irons and they have that certain look about them. Newer Pings , while still performing well have lost the old magic. The cavitys of the new range are horrible. To "taylor made" for me.

Who cares sbout the new groove rules?.[/quote]
[/quote]

Frozen- thanks for your review of the new i15s.

But add me to your list of people wanting a retooled version of the Eye 2+s.

I feel they would be very popular and a true way to commemorate Karsten's innovation rather than just painting things gold as they have done.

That Aint Billy Bob!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a ping demo day coming up, looking forward to hitting the i15's with a few different shafts, tried with the AWT shaft in and the flight is just too high but really easy iron to hit so if I can get the right flight will certainly be thinking about getting a set

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='MAK2525' post='1947684' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:15 PM'][quote name='boabola' post='1947609' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:27 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1945380' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:21 PM']Eye 2+ is non-conforming to the new groove Rule.
Eye 2 is conforming (due to previous exemption agreement )
* the reason Eye 2 is conforming is due to special legal agreement (exemption) of years ago between Karsten Solheim and the USGA. Following that legal settlement Solheim agreed to change the groove design of the Eye 2 model, and that is how the Eye 2+ model was born.

[quote name='boabola' post='1945291' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:29 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1934556' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM']Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[quote name='boabola' post='1933253' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:50 AM']From Ping...

Also, PING Eye2 irons will remain conforming beyond 2024 for all play at all levels in the United States and Mexico (where the USGA Rules apply). PING protected these rights in 1990, and they remain protected. If you own Eye2 irons and play golf outside of the U.S. and Mexico, and you wish to know if your Eye2's can continue to be played as conforming clubs under the R&A Rules, please send an email and include with it the serial number of your clubs.

14 years and 4 months to go...I think my Eye2's are safe for a while.[/quote]
[/quote]

Incorrect. It does include the Eye2+
[/quote]
[/quote]

Just passing along what Ping told me... I'll go with that.
[/quote]

This is direct from the USGA rule announcement, and the Eye2+'s are not grandfathered in:

[i]"The new regulations permit club designers to vary groove width, depth, spacing and shape to create clubs that conform to the new groove rules. In addition, all [b]Ping EYE2 irons manufactured before March 31, 1990,[/b] will continue to be treated by the USGA as conforming to the Rules of Golf, and will be acceptable for all USGA competitions."[/i]
[/quote]

Frozen...and mak2525...thanks for the review. I just aquired a set of i15's and like them so for.
And also aplogize for jackin this thread a bit...but one more time.
I have it from several sources that the Eye2+'s are included and will be conforming , like the eye'2s. If you'll notice...the USGA statement does not mention the Eye2+. I'll see if I can get a statement confirming this from Ping.
Later

I have had my i15's for three weeks now and could not be happier. I went with the AWT S shaft and it has worked for me. These[i][b] are[/b][/i][u][/u] a full club longer than my i3 Blades. I tried out several other sets before settling on the i15's and nothing else matched the overall blend of length, feel and workability. I have even ditched my 4 hybrid to use the 4 iron in the set. Just a great set of irons.

[quote name='Don MacLeod' post='1958833' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:47 PM']I have had my i15's for three weeks now and could not be happier. I went with the AWT S shaft and it has worked for me. These[i][b] are[/b][/i][u][/u] a full club longer than my i3 Blades. I tried out several other sets before settling on the i15's and nothing else matched the overall blend of length, feel and workability. I have even ditched my 4 hybrid to use the 4 iron in the set. Just a great set of irons.[/quote]
How does the trajectory compare to the I3 blades, I am a current I3 blade user and was wondering if the long irons flighted a little higher? Are the short irons about the same traj.?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='craz-e' post='1947927' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:41 PM']Got a ping demo day coming up, looking forward to hitting the i15's with a few different shafts, tried with the AWT shaft in and the flight is just too high but really easy iron to hit so if I can get the right flight will certainly be thinking about getting a set[/quote]

Which demo day are you going to? I should be at one shortly as well.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

I do not believe there is any chance the Eye 2+ will be deemed conforming. That model , as well as all the models following it until
the recent introduction of the i/15 and g/15, had the same groove.
Eye 2 will be conforming forever due to special legal exemption granted to PING as part of the law suit settlement between PING and the USGA.

[quote name='boabola' post='1956067' date='Sep 17 2009, 06:47 AM'][quote name='MAK2525' post='1947684' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:15 PM'][quote name='boabola' post='1947609' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:27 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1945380' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:21 PM']Eye 2+ is non-conforming to the new groove Rule.
Eye 2 is conforming (due to previous exemption agreement )
* the reason Eye 2 is conforming is due to special legal agreement (exemption) of years ago between Karsten Solheim and the USGA. Following that legal settlement Solheim agreed to change the groove design of the Eye 2 model, and that is how the Eye 2+ model was born.

[quote name='boabola' post='1945291' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:29 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1934556' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM']Eye 2 grooves are conforming to the new groove rule, Eye 2+ are not conforming.

[quote name='boabola' post='1933253' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:50 AM']From Ping...

Also, PING Eye2 irons will remain conforming beyond 2024 for all play at all levels in the United States and Mexico (where the USGA Rules apply). PING protected these rights in 1990, and they remain protected. If you own Eye2 irons and play golf outside of the U.S. and Mexico, and you wish to know if your Eye2's can continue to be played as conforming clubs under the R&A Rules, please send an email and include with it the serial number of your clubs.

14 years and 4 months to go...I think my Eye2's are safe for a while.[/quote]
[/quote]

Incorrect. It does include the Eye2+
[/quote]
[/quote]

Just passing along what Ping told me... I'll go with that.
[/quote]

This is direct from the USGA rule announcement, and the Eye2+'s are not grandfathered in:

[i]"The new regulations permit club designers to vary groove width, depth, spacing and shape to create clubs that conform to the new groove rules. In addition, all [b]Ping EYE2 irons manufactured before March 31, 1990,[/b] will continue to be treated by the USGA as conforming to the Rules of Golf, and will be acceptable for all USGA competitions."[/i]
[/quote]

Frozen...and mak2525...thanks for the review. I just aquired a set of i15's and like them so for.
And also aplogize for jackin this thread a bit...but one more time.
I have it from several sources that the Eye2+'s are included and will be conforming , like the eye'2s. If you'll notice...the USGA statement does not mention the Eye2+. I'll see if I can get a statement confirming this from Ping.
Later
[/quote]

[quote name='spooky' post='1959012' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:20 PM'][quote name='craz-e' post='1947927' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:41 PM']Got a ping demo day coming up, looking forward to hitting the i15's with a few different shafts, tried with the AWT shaft in and the flight is just too high but really easy iron to hit so if I can get the right flight will certainly be thinking about getting a set[/quote]

Which demo day are you going to? I should be at one shortly as well.
[/quote]

Going to a demo day at Westridge golf centre on the Isle of Wight. Thats if I can wait that long!, tempted to go to the National fitting centre though

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Was having the same thought about the fitting centre.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

From Ping's website:

All PING irons and wedges were designed to conform to the then current Rules of Golf.

However, on August 5, 2008 the USGA and the R&A announced a new rule regarding the allowable dimensions of grooves on these clubs. Since these specifications did not exist when our iron and wedge models were designed, most (including our current G5, G10, i10, S57, Rhapsody, Rapture and Rapture V2 iron models; and our current Tour-W wedges) do not meet the specifications of this new rule. However, in an attempt to bring some fairness to this new rule, the USGA and the R&A also provided that nearly all golfers (over 99%) can continue to use their PING irons and wedges through at least the year 2024 (again, including our current G5, G10, i10, S57, Rhapsody, Rapture and Rapture V2 iron models ; and our current Tour-W wedges). In fact, the 2024 deadline may be extended even longer.

A very small number (less than 1%) of golfers will be impacted by this rule before the 2024 (or longer) implementation date, including the following:

1. "Expert professional players" who are competing "at the highest level of competition" will be impacted in 2010. This basically means those competing on professional tours like the PGA Tour, the LPGA, the Nationwide Tour and the European Tour; and

2. "Elite amateurs" who intend to compete for a spot in one of the various amateur national championships conducted by the USGA or the R&A will be impacted beginning in 2014 with respect to these national championships.

Also, please periodically check this web site for future announcements regarding PING irons designed to meet the August 5, 2008 new groove rule.

I have played almost every Ping iron possible over the years beginning with the Eye 2 square groove. I had my best years with the i-5's. Traded them for the i-10's for no good reason other than wanting the latest offering Ping had had for a low handicapper. I now have traded them in for the i-15's. I find the i-15 to be more forgiving than the i-10's and a little longer. I have been getting whatever version of the stiff stock shaft that Ping had. The latest is the AWT. I'm still getting used to them but the results are positive. They play a lot like the i-5's but feel a bit more pure on the sweet spot. Maybe thats psychological with the honeymoon period but they do have a nicer feel. I like the set up better too than the 5's and 10's. I think that if you are Ping fan and have a decent game that doesn't require lots of forgiveness these are a winner. By the way, I could never tell a big difference with the effect of the various grooves unless it's a wedge.